Josh Smith available??

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Sources: Shaq Weighing Hawks Offer

ORLANDO – The re-signing of Joe Johnson might not be the only big splash the Atlanta Hawks make this summer.

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal is seriously considering a two-year deal with the Hawks that starts at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million, according to NBA sources close to both the team and the future Hall of Fame player.

O'Neal, whose past season in Cleveland with LeBron James ended in disappointment, has been working out the past two weeks in Orlando, where he makes his offseason home.

Johnson, over the weekend, agreed to sign with the Hawks for the six-year, $119 million maximum allowable contract with the Hawks. Free-agent signings can't begin until July 8. Johnson was told by management that the Hawks intended to make significant changes to their roster, including the possible addition of O'Neal.

"I think he wants to see how everything shakes out with all the free agents, but he's seriously considering Atlanta's offer,'' said the source who asked that his name not be used. "He wants to play two more years, and he wants it to be with a contender. He thinks he can help them become a serious one.''

The Hawks, who lost in the second round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year, have a glaring need for a bigger, stronger center with a low-post game. They have been using undersized Al Horford, who could slide smoothly to power forward to make room for O'Neal.

The Hawks have recently been exploring the possibility of trading power forward Josh Smith as part of their summertime makeover, according to sources around the league.

O'Neal, 38, played 53 games for the Cavs last season, averaging 12 points and 6.7 rebounds in 23.4 minutes. Although he isn't the force he once was, he could solidify Atlanta defensively.

The Cavaliers traded for him last summer, believing he could be their answer to rival Orlando and Dwight Howard, but they never reached that matchup after losing to Boston.

The Hawks are thinking along the same lines after being swept by the Magic in the second round this spring. They had no answer for Howard around the basket, something that O'Neal still could provide. They also could use O'Neal's star appeal to help create some much needed interest in the franchise.

Although the Hawks looked awful against the Magic, they had won 53 games during the regular season, their fifth consecutive season of improving their victory total. Much of the blame for the loss fell on the shoulders of Johnson and Smith, their two most talented players, and coach Mike Woodson, who was fired.

O'Neal made $20 million last season in Cleveland – the final year of a long-term contract -- but he knows that his value has dropped dramatically, and he probably won't be offered anything more than the mid-level.

"He wants to make sure he finishes with a contender, and in a city he likes,'' said the source.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/shaq-weighing-offer-from-hawks-to-join-johnson/

I've always been a huge fan of Josh Smith. I think his game would be perfect for D'Antoni's system. Can anybody imagine a Smith/Amare frontcourt running up and down the court?!? All we would need is a good distributing PG.

Since they just signed Johnson to an obscene amount, maybe they are looking to dump some money. We can absorb Smith's contract for practically nothing, if they wanted.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Smith/Amar'e frontcourt would be undersized but I think they could make up for it since Smith is a really good defender and a good shotblocker.

Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler for Josh Smith? I'd jizz in my pants if that happened (I doubt it, the Hawks are going to want more for Smith than just an expiring)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Smith/Amar'e frontcourt would be undersized but I think they could make up for it since Smith is a really good defender and a good shotblocker.

Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler for Josh Smith? I'd jizz in my pants if that happened (I doubt it, the Hawks are going to want more for Smith than just an expiring)

Undersized, yes, but in a similar mode as Phx when they had a Amare/Marion frontcourt. But much better. Smith would make up for many of Amare's weaknesses.

Trade Chandler for Smith. That is a huge salary dump for Atlanta and they get a young player in return. This would still leave us enough cap space to sign Anthony Morrow and Ridnour.

PG-Ridnour
SG-Morrow
SF-Gallo
PF-Smith
C-Amare

I would be satisfied with that lineup if we didn't get Lebron. Considering what the media has been telling us that's pretty good. Could compete and be dangerous in the playoffs. And we would still have Curry's expiring in the back pocket for the deadline or next year's cap space.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Gallo is nicer ")
If we make smith our pf, our front court defensively would be a joke.

I can't see how you've come to that conclusion? A lot of guards would be reluctant to go in to the paint with those 2 in there.

Undersized, yes, but in a similar mode as Phx when they had a Amare/Marion frontcourt. But much better. Smith would make up for many of Amare's weaknesses.

Trade Chandler for Smith. That is a huge salary dump for Atlanta and they get a young player in return. This would still leave us enough cap space to sign Anthony Morrow and Ridnour.

PG-Ridnour
SG-Morrow
SF-Gallo
PF-Smith
C-Amare

I would be satisfied with that lineup if we didn't get Lebron. Considering what the media has been telling us that's pretty good. Could compete and be dangerous in the playoffs. And we would still have Curry's expiring in the back pocket for the deadline or next year's cap space.

I'd be more than happy with that team. But I don't think Smith is likely to be traded. Joe Johnson was recently quoted saying something along the lines of: "Being happy/confident with Atlanta's dedication to winning."

That's in terms of cash to be spent as well as keeping players. So I don't think Chandler would be what they're after, especially at the cost of losing Smoove.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Josh Smith would be a great addition for us.

I just don't see it happening. Smith is undersized but his defensive ability makes up for his lack of height - he's a way better defender than Amar'e

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Amare and Smith 5/4 combo would be, in my opinion, the most athletic front court in the NBA. The con is we would be an undersized front court. The way to look at this is; Mike D's system is not a slow half court game that needs big bangers at the 4/5. Since his system requires players to be athletic, quick laterally and versatile (especially the ability to shoot from all over the court). Boozer would be good in a half court, banging inside outside game; not in this type of system. We saw Boozer and Howard struggle in the Olympics trying to run within this type of system and we have seen Josh Smith struggle in the slow, half court game. I think an Amare/Smith 4/5 would be tremendously effective in Mike's system. The only thing is we might end up with the same results the Suns had, fallin just short of wining it all...

mafra

Legend
Would be a great pickup. Imagine running the floor with Monta Ellis, Gallo, Smith & Amar'e. Talking about spacing and breaking.

Paul1355

All Star
I've always been a huge fan of Josh Smith. I think his game would be perfect for D'Antoni's system. Can anybody imagine a Smith/Amare frontcourt running up and down the court?!? All we would need is a good distributing PG.

Since they just signed Johnson to an obscene amount, maybe they are looking to dump some money. We can absorb Smith's contract for practically nothing, if they wanted.
Smith is aweomse and has the potential of being on the NBA defensive team for years.

Smith and Amare in the front court would be too athletic for teams to handle and our defense would actually be solid.

I dont know who we could trade for him, The Hawks would wantGallo

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
I happen to be a big Smith fan, myself. I would love that pickup, provided we didn't have to give up Gallo. Having said that, I highly doubt Atlanta is looking to move Smith, Shaq or no Shaq.

dave2138

Rotation player
I wouldn't do this deal unless they are taking Curry's contract back. I doubt they take Curry if they are only getting back Chandler.

What about Gallinari + Curry for Smith. That makes more sense for Atlanta. Also makes us more attractive for Lebron/Wade swapping Gallinari for Smith at no cost.

dave2138

Rotation player
I happen to be a big Smith fan, myself. I would love that pickup, provided we didn't have to give up Gallo. Having said that, I highly doubt Atlanta is looking to move Smith, Shaq or no Shaq.

To get Gallinari, I think they would.

Bibby/Teague
Johnson/Crawford
Gallinari/Williams
Hortford/Williams/Gallinari
Shaq/Zaza/Hortford

iSaYughh

Starter
Yet (another) instance where we should be more than willing to seriously explore trading Gallo.

Douglas
Morrow
Lebron
Smith
Amare

Bench: Chandler, Walker, Jordan

That's gg leauge, and gg every other rival team trying to compete with talent to draw The King.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
To get Gallinari, I think they would.

Bibby/Teague
Johnson/Crawford
Gallinari/Williams
Hortford/Williams/Gallinari
Shaq/Zaza/Hortford

Oh, I absolutely concur. The problem is, as I alluded to in my post, I have no interest in giving up Gallo and I doubt the Knicks do either. The only guys I'd be willing to let Gallo go for would be Mello/CP3/Maybe Tony Parker.

I would shit my pants if we snagged Smith. Hes my favorite player in the entire league! The way he plays the game would fit in so well with D'Antoni's system, especially if hes teamed with Amare down low. Very underrated player in alot of peoples eyes besides these last two years hes had. I always knew the dude can hoop though, he is basically Lebron just with a marginal less offensive game. Other then that though hes dead on with Lebron in my eyes, same age an everything too.

Lets make it happen, would be very interesting if it did.

dave2138

Rotation player
Oh, I absolutely concur. The problem is, as I alluded to in my post, I have no interest in giving up Gallo and I doubt the Knicks do either. The only guys I'd be willing to let Gallo go for would be Mello/CP3/Maybe Tony Parker.

How do you figure Atlanta will trade us Smith then? They just signed Johnson to arguably the worst contract in the NBA with the sole reason being that they think they can compete for a championship now with Johnson in his prime. They aren't going to give up Smith unless they get something that actually improves them. Smith -> Gallinari fills more of a need. The Knicks are better off keeping Chandler because his trade value isn't that high. Not going to land us Josh Smith in my opinion.

Gallinari + Curry for Smith is a much more fair deal for both sides.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
After giving JJ $120 million, I just don't see them moving Smoove. Obviously the Hawks brass thinks they can take a shot at least at the ECF with this team. Why break it up now?

And if the Hawks do move Smoove it would probably be for someone like Chris Kaman, or a true center so that Horford would move to his natural PF and maybe they sign Childress to play the 3. But it's highly doubtful he comes to New York. Unless they see something magical in Eddy Curry lol.