Knicks sign C Timofey Mozgav to 3 year/$9.7MM Deal

Paul1355

All Star
I hope this doesnt hurt our chances in re-signing Earl Barron...
sources have said that Earl Barron was never going to come back, He wants to test his value in free agency and the Knicks dont want a bidding war for someone who played 7 games.

I liked Barron alot but getting a big Russian guy can be a benefit

Can we still go after Mello next year fafter this?

Also After this deal I think we should call it an off season. Maybe see how Ewing jr. Does in the summer leauge or if tmac wants minimum but that's it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
That article you're quoting is from 2 years ago.

He plays first division ball now and plays for the Russian National Team.

Watch tape of him. He is a high risk high reward player. His agility is unreal for someone that high and weight.

I've also heard that his contract isn't guaranteed.

Oh God.. It's actually from 3 years ago.. oops:lol:

Paul1355

All Star
3 mil a year? I know Donny and the Knicks organization know something about this guy we don't. I hope it's good. From what i've seen in the videos is he's really athletic for a big guy. The alleys he was catching was thrown pretty high. Also looks like a tough hard-nosed player. Maybe it is a good pickup. Only time will tell...
hard nosed- maybe he can be the next Marc Gasol?

Danilo

Benchwarmer
Mozgav is a ****ing gem, only a retard would argue we shouldve signed barron instead. With amare, randolph, and turiaf he would be our 4th best player stuck between 4 and 5. Hes also 29 and probably is about to regress. Mozgov is a legit 7-1, who looks about like a russian David Robinson. He is the perfect long term center prospect for the ssol. He is big enough to play the dwights bynums and lopezs of the league but fast enough to play at our speed. He wont play much this yr, but he should get into the rotation in 2011 if all goes well. With Amare/ AR/ Mozgof if AR and Mozgof get better we will have a picture perfect frontcourt for the future. I am very excited, good to see that we are basically rebuilding but it should be a little quicker than rebuilding through the draft.

smokes

Huge Member
If his contract is non-guaranteed then it's a very good signing.

If it is guaranteed then it's questionable.

cathaytrader

Benchwarmer
He's only 23/24 which is good. The only question is how come he's never been picked up on anybody's radar? Can only hope he becomes the next Dirk.

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
He was nobody until Sergio Scariolo (Khimki coah and also spanish national team coach -european champion last year) launched him last year.
He's young, talented, but he needs time because of his inexperience.
If Scariolo believed in him it's very positive because he has an incredible basket (and human) knowledge.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
He better be decent enough, considering the Nyets just handed Morrow 12 mil for 3 years. Basically this Russian will make 1 mil less.

Either way don't like something in Morrow, or we think we found something in this guy.

If we committed 3 mil of our cap next year.... We better be right.

The Nets have also inked Johan Petro to a comparable deal...
Neither Morrow nor Petro are worth the money, so I think our odds are better.

mafra

Legend
I'm getting the feeling that Rautins-Fields-Jordan-Mozgov are all projects.... We'll tuck them away this season and develop them during practice. They can pull a Marcus Landry and play their way into the active roster with hard work.... for sure! But, thes moves are for the future.

Fields is being groomed to take over for Wilson Chandler. Jordan-Mozgov to take over for Turiaf. A jack-of-all-trades type SG/SF, and a powerful-gritty Center. These will be important role players.

Mozgov might be one of these ON THE VERGE type players. One more season abroad might have put him on everyone's radar (if we didn't feel a MIA or something was going for it now). Maybe we buy him early.

Sounds like Mozgov also has the best chance playing now. Well, he and Rautins. I would guess if Curry is traded, or in the D'ant doghouse from Day #1, the Mozgov might see some minutes on nights when Turiaf is in foul trouble.

Amar'e-Randolph-Turiaf are the big-3 PF/C; and there will be times we go smaller and deploy Wilson as the PF. BUt I can see games where we send Mozgov in to clog the paint and bang some bodies.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I'm getting the feeling that Rautins-Fields-Jordan-Mozgov are all projects.... We'll tuck them away this season and develop them during practice. They can pull a Marcus Landry and play their way into the active roster with hard work.... for sure! But, thes moves are for the future.

Fields is being groomed to take over for Wilson Chandler. Jordan-Mozgov to take over for Turiaf. A jack-of-all-trades type SG/SF, and a powerful-gritty Center. These will be important role players.

Mozgov might be one of these ON THE VERGE type players. One more season abroad might have put him on everyone's radar (if we didn't feel a MIA or something was going for it now). Maybe we buy him early.

Sounds like Mozgov also has the best chance playing now. Well, he and Rautins. I would guess if Curry is traded, or in the D'ant doghouse from Day #1, the Mozgov might see some minutes on nights when Turiaf is in foul trouble.

Amar'e-Randolph-Turiaf are the big-3 PF/C; and there will be times we go smaller and deploy Wilson as the PF. BUt I can see games where we send Mozgov in to clog the paint and bang some bodies.

nice post, rautins is gonna be 3rd string pg

mafra

Legend
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_spy_russian_ptUJeyNeF9Q19RPLQbroKJ

The Knicks last night were on the verge of signing 7-foot-1 Russian free-agent center Timofey Mozgov, according to a source. The anticipated three-year,

$9 million deal would eat up the rest of their cap space.

However, the Knicks are still waiting for clearance papers from FIBA and his Russian team, according to the source.

The Knicks worked out the 24-year-old the past week and were hoping word would not get out. The Knicks must pay his Russian team Khimki $500,000.

It was a closely guarded secret they were courting the Russian. Yesterday morning, a team official was asked by The Post about rumors they were ready to sign a 7-foot Russian center and he confirmed it, but would not reveal the name.

"I don't want another team coming in and swooping him up," the official told The Post.

One scout said of Mozgov that he was a proficient inside-outside center, perfect for Mike D'Antoni's system.

He averaged six points and four rebounds in 13 minutes per game last season for Khimki. Though he didn't log a lot of minutes, the standard in Russia is for young centers to be brought along slowly. After the Knicks' post-LeBron James' maneuverings, they had $3.2 million left under the salary cap and needed a center for their roster. They may still have enough left for a minimum signing.

According to a person familiar with the Knicks' thinking, the club will explore trading Wilson Chandler, possibly packaging him with the expiring contract of Eddy Curry. The Knicks would love to trade for a premier outside-shooting big man.

Chandler, who has had ankle surgery two straight offseasons, has a contract the Knicks likely will move to be enough under the 2011 salary cap for a maximum contract. The addition of versatile forward Anthony Randolph and swingman Kelenna Azubuike makes Chandler more expendable for a roster lacking size. The Knicks don't believe Chandler can handle shooting-guard duties.

The Knicks have had internal discussions about shooting guard Rasual Butler, but they didn't have enough room. They were looking at centers Theo Ratliff and Tony Battie in case the deal with the Russian didn't work.

"It's not a bad thing not to spend all the money we have under the cap," team president Donnie Walsh said. "It's early July. We'll spend the rest of the summer looking for ways to improve the team."

Why? Barron proved he can play in this system and have an effective 10-15 minutes off the bench. This guy is totally unproven in the NBA and were giving up 3 million of next years cap to have him. He's intriguing yes but is he worth the risk? Who knows.

It's funny though, how before FA started we were all wondering how we were even going to fill 13 roster spots with NBA ready players. Now look at our roster...

1. Felton
2. Walker
3. Gallo
4. Amare
5. Randolph
6. Chandler
7. Azubuike
8. Douglas
9. Fields
10. Rautlins
11. Jordan
12. Turiaf
13. Mozgov
14. Curry

We actually have 9-10 players already who are NBA proven and 4-5 players who will be hungry for playing time. This could be a good thing to get everyone to work harder on their game and really try to prove themselves. Hopefully it doesn't go the other way where D'antoni tries out 5 different rotations before settling on one and making us inconsistent.

goood points, but realistically I believe our rotation will be set in pre season

like you said we have 9-10 prove guys and we have 7 guys who are going to play no matter what

1. Felton
2. Walker
3. Gallo
4. Amare
5. Randolph
6. Chandler
7. Azubuike
8. Douglas
9. Turiaf
there is your rotation

that right there is a 46-36 team this year

and with no new moves a 51-31 team in 2011.

add melo

57-25 team next year.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I like how he can finish at the rim. Obviously hes gonna have to get use to the U.S. and have to work on his game. Top international Free Agent. I hope that is for a very good reason. I would like to see what he develops into.