Knicks sign C Timofey Mozgav to 3 year/$9.7MM Deal

iJoe

Rotation player
I'm a bit worried with the history of Dantoni being comfortable with very small, tight roster. Last few years he was throwing different lineups around like crazy. I still think we should have tried to get Rick Adelman (most underrated Coach) instead, but I'm hoping hes learned from watching the Suns play with more of a bench.

That said, this guy looks like another promising project. As long as he plays hard, he'll cover a huge gap in our lineup. We really need a strong big to cover for the matador defense the knicks play. He'll be aan instant crowd favorite if he knocks down Dwade/Bron on a drive.

metrocard

Legend
That article you're quoting is from 2 years ago.

He plays first division ball now and plays for the Russian National Team.

Watch tape of him. He is a high risk high reward player. His agility is unreal for someone that high and weight.

I've also heard that his contract isn't guaranteed.

LMAO, damn boy...you made the poor kid delete his post in complete game...totally put him on shutthe****up mode.

Good job.

I'm actually liking this signing, just because this is something Isiah would never do.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He's got size and he's pretty athletic. Both extremely valuable things on...what was that thing...oh right DEFENSE

I feel like D'Antoni is going to try to play Amar'e at the 4 which is his more natural position (or wherever he feels comfortable, really). A Jerome Jordan/Mozgav platoon at C seems pretty good and I guess adequate defensively.

I like our chances for next year. Now that we're not letting Chris Duhomo run the point (we've got a legit PG in Raymond Felton - yea he's not AMAZING but he's leaps and bounds above Duhomo) and we've got a roster that can play some defense I think there's something in it for us.

Paul1355

All Star
Mozgav is a ****ing gem, only a retard would argue we shouldve signed barron instead. With amare, randolph, and turiaf he would be our 4th best player stuck between 4 and 5. Hes also 29 and probably is about to regress. Mozgov is a legit 7-1, who looks about like a russian David Robinson. He is the perfect long term center prospect for the ssol. He is big enough to play the dwights bynums and lopezs of the league but fast enough to play at our speed. He wont play much this yr, but he should get into the rotation in 2011 if all goes well. With Amare/ AR/ Mozgof if AR and Mozgof get better we will have a picture perfect frontcourt for the future. I am very excited, good to see that we are basically rebuilding but it should be a little quicker than rebuilding through the draft.
a gem? since 75% of euro players dont pan out, I will give him decent expectations, nothing more until im proven wrong. Not seeing him in summer league hurts but I hope he can contribute right away or we wll wate money on him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
It seems like Darko 2.0

He has been eligiable for Drafts and teams are not bitting.

I know that steals happen all the time, but if his upside was so major then we would not have been the only team pursuing.

It would be nice to believe that our scouts are so great that they had the drop on this kid.....but the fact of the matter is we Drafted Jordan Hill! Point being is we don't know big men too well

If the contract is non-gauranteed then cool, it is well worth the risk.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Best Case: More Atletic Joel Pryzbilla

przybilla0329.jpg

Worst Case:Fredric Wiess

weis.jpg

Likely Case: Darko Millic

NYK_Milicic_Darko--480x270.jpg

Danilo

Benchwarmer
I dont know about weiss as a worst case because he never signed and he played alright in europe. A more athletic pyrizz would be a top 10 center in the nba, and a top 5 fit in the nba for center in the ssol. That is definitely worth the risk. Darko as a probable I dont know about because Tim is a lot more built than darko, and i think Darko with more muscle would be a good nba player. I guess well just have to wait and see if he can get better...

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
well this guy runs the pick n roll well just like mike likes... plus he's nba ready ... donnie's been hiding him for 2 yrs now .... with doing this move donnie has a trade brewing :thumbsup:

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Best Case: More Atletic Joel Pryzbilla

Worst Case:Fredric Wiess

Likely Case: Darko Millic
*sharp intake* Again, if the Knicks have Barron on the table, why did we sign Darko 2.0? (someone who's been #1 for more than a year... makes you ask yourself why they weren't picked that first year)

Lilnickywood20

Benchwarmer
Moladietz! Im gonna stay optomistic about this guy; 1 because hes russian (im a foreign lang student) and hes not with the Nets and because hes 7 feet tall and a brick

His agent seems very confident about him; and said he didnt want him to go anywherebut the Knicks...Udacha

metrocard

Legend
This guy is suppose to be better than Darko because Darko was NEVER a top player in Europe like Timofey was. Darko was a PROJECT who got like 7 minutes a game in Europe. Timofey is actually a proven talent in a professional league. Thats where the big difference is, you guys need to see that before you speak on a player.

Look at Gallinari, produced well in Europe, now is a NBA starter for the Knicks.

It all transalte, most of the time. Ginobili, Parker and Gasol were productive players in Europe, they come to the NBA and now they've had all star careers.

I'm not saying Timofey is going to be an all star, but I can gurantee you he won't be a bad player.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
This guy is suppose to be better than Darko because Darko was NEVER a top player in Europe like Timofey was. Darko was a PROJECT who got like 7 minutes a game in Europe. Timofey is actually a proven talent in a professional league. Thats where the big difference is, you guys need to see that before you speak on a player.

Look at Gallinari, produced well in Europe, now is a NBA starter for the Knicks.

It all transalte, most of the time. Ginobili, Parker and Gasol were productive players in Europe, they come to the NBA and now they've had all star careers.

I'm not saying Timofey is going to be an all star, but I can gurantee you he won't be a bad player.

//This thread

mushlova

Rookie

with all due respect, ginobili, parker, gasol and even gallinari were top players in europe before crossing the pond, whereas this guy is clearly not. you can compare rubio with the aformentioned players, not the russian dude.

said that, I believe he will become useful in certain situations (3-4 mins per game), but deffo you cant say yet he will be a decent player, yet.

CoolGuyC

Rookie

Yea I agree I think Timofey will be a good player for the Knicks.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I've heard good things about this guy, just looked him up, apparantly a top 10 center in Europe.

We need a nickname for him.....

how about Mazel Tov?

iSaYughh

Starter
I've heard good things about this guy, just looked him up, apparantly a top 10 center in Europe.

We need a nickname for him.....

how about Mazel Tov?

Mazel Tov could be a clear winner but it might upset the anti-Semite factions of KO. ;)

I was using Timorex, but MazelTov is good stuff.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I was reading Alan Hahn's twitter today.

Mozgav is taller than Patrick Ewing. At the very least we know he's a true 7-footer and that's not just crap coming out of Russia.