Knicks sign C Timofey Mozgav to 3 year/$9.7MM Deal

mafra

Legend
NY DAILY NEWS:

Last September, Ronny Turiaf, playing on the French national team, squared off against 7-1 Russian center Timofey Mozgov at the European Championships in Poland. Turiaf trailed Mozgov through the lane. From all angles, he watched Mozgov finish alley-oops and offensive rebounds.

Turiaf won the battle and the war, with 18 points and 14 rebounds to Mozgov's eight and five in France's 69-64 victory. But Mozgov did block five shots, and made Turiaf do plenty of work.

"I was kinda tired," Turiaf said Monday as he was introduced at the Knicks' training facility in Greenburgh. "But I can be a little antelope when I want to."

Turiaf's stamina will be tested in practice this season as the Knicks filled out their frontcourt roster Monday with talent both domestic and foreign. Mozgov, a mystery to many stateside but widely considered the No. 1 international prospect in Europe, did not join Turiaf, Anthony Randolph, Kelenne Azubuike and Raymond Felton in their formal introductions as Knicks - but his presence commanded attention nonetheless.

"We just didn't talk about

"We just didn't talk about it a lot," Knicks president Donnie Walsh said when asked about the stealth scouting the team's personnel staff had done on Mozgov in recent months. Many NBA teams had been unaware of Mozgov's willingness to uproot from his current team, B.C. Khimki, in his homeland.

Mozgov, who turns 24 on Friday, adds to a front line that has already received a significant makeover with the additon of free agent Amar'e Stoudemire in addition to Azubuike, Randolph and Turiaf, who were acquired from the Warriors in the David Lee sign-and-trade. Walsh said Mozgov will have to develop his low-post game more in the model of the American system of physical play. What he brings in flair will be expected to complement Randolph's fluidity and Stoudemire's staunch power game.

"I'm the happiest out of everyone," said Felton, the former Bobcats point guard who helped lead Charlotte to its first playoff appearance. "I can't wait to feed them."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._russian_in_new_frontcourt.html#ixzz0tZ2gvDKS

---------------
THEKNICKSBLOG.COM

Timofey Mosgov, the Knicks soon to be new international man of mystery, has made good first impressions on both Alan Hahn and coach Phil Weber. While Hahn was in awe of his massive frame and apparently grew fond of the kid already, Weber had a chance to work out with the young Russian and was left in… well… awe. Weber joined the summer league’s broadcast today and went as far as to say that Mosgov’s abilities are “scary”… in a good way.

I have never seen this kid play and before this week, I have never even heard of him. With that said, when I do get a chance to watch him play, I will look for two things in particular:

1) Is he tough? Regardless of how good this kid is, Amare is the premier big on this team. The other big men on this team will have to find ways to complement Amare. At 7’1 and roughly 275 pounds, I would like for Mosgov to have a mean streak. I would like to see him be able to rebound, and more importantly, be able to impose his size on the court and command the paint. Amare needs a couple of brutes surrounding him, and at his size, I hope that Mosgov can provide enough of a mean streak to help out his front court mate.

2) How is his footwork? I like that he can reportedly run the floor, but I am much more concerned with his agility and his footwork around the basket. Good footwork separates quality NBA big men. Mosgov will need good footwork to contend with players like Dwight Howard in the East. As many have seen through the first two summer league games, Jerome Jordan, despite having a very nice game two, needs work on his footwork.
Needless to say, i am intrigued by him and am looking forward to seeing him play. While I think Anthony Randolph can start at center for this team, if Mosgov proves that he is ready for this league, then Randolph can also be a valuable versatile player of the bench. We will see.

mafra

Legend
Walsh steals Russian center from Prokhorov

Knicks president Donnie Walsh kept his courting of 7-1 Russian center Timofey Mozgov top secret for one chief reason.

According to a source, Walsh figured if word got out, Nets Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov would try to steal him.

But Walsh beat Prokhorov in his own backyard, making the Nets owner's July even more miserable.

As reported in the Sunday Post, Walsh will complete the signing today of the 24-year-old mystery man who wowed the Knicks in a late May workout. Mozgov flew in from Russia under of a cloak of secrecy and the Knicks have waited anxiously for the clearance papers from FIBA and his Russian team that will arrive today.

Mozgov was in Las Vegas a few days ago meeting with the Knicks coaching staff at the summer league. He flew back yesterday and practice with the club, but probably won't play.

Saturday morning, Knicks officials, when contacted by The Post, confirmed they were close to signing a 7-foot Russian center but declined to confirm the name, saying they did not want another team to get interested.

According to a source, Mozgov's contract of 3 years/$9 million is padded because Mozgov still has to pay his Russian team, Khimki nearly $2 million for his buyout. The Knicks paid the other $500,000 – the maximum they are allowed. The signing gives the Knicks enough cap room to sign just a minimum-wage player.

The Knicks' secrecy demonstrates much they like him and their feeling he flew under the radar of most NBA clubs. Knicks European scout Kevin Wilson was on top of the case and Knicks executives Glen Grunwald and John Gabriel flew to Russia to see him play this season.

"We do like him a lot,'' Walsh said yesterday. "We think he's a very good prospect with great promise to be a very good player. Plus, he's 7-1.''

Walsh likes he can score inside, outside, run the pick-and-roll, finish nicely and block shots. "Mike (D'Antoni) runs a lot of pick and rolls,'' Walsh said. "He's not a post guy but he's got good moves and can play with his back to the basket.''

Walsh said when he was eligible to be drafted three years ago, he was "too young. Big men in Russia aren't finished products at 21.'' He also was playing on Khimki's second team back then.

He played on the Russian National Team under famed coach David Blatt but did not have an especially strong past season. One Russian journalist Alexander Chernykh wrote to The Post yesterday, "Everybody expected Mozgov to have a better season, but it didn't happen. So his NBA deal with the Knicks comes as a surprise.''
The Knicks wanted another center for their roster as they look to trade Eddy Curry.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I think this deal is about filling a roster spot for this year alone. I don't see him playing any minutes other than garbage time. His contract is for this year and is not guaranteed next year.

Eddy Curry = $11.2 mil
Azibuke = $3.3 mil
Mozgav = $3.23 mil
+ $2.5 mil in saved cap space from this year

= $20.23 mil in cap space for next year.

It is also possible to throw in Wilson Chandler's Team Option as well. This would give us an additional $3 mil in cap space.

We will have many positions locked up with talented payers (Amare, Randolph, Gallo, Felton, Turiaf) and enough cap space to add another max free agent. Plus, we will probably have a record close to .500 and possibly a playoff birth.

We are in a good position and the future is looking bright.

Toons

is the Bo$$
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ageSwcyVXZI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ageSwcyVXZI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

iJoe

Rotation player
Very nice vid Toons. Showed a lot of his strengths and weaknesses.

He clearly doesn't have much of a post game, but is very active. He looks comfortable with the pick and roll as well.

Biggest highlights were his blocks and thats exactly what the knicks need.

He is definitely a project though. I wouldn't expect too many minutes from him as hes still very rough.

Cant you see this guy is built perfectly for this team. remember robin lopez and what he did with the success of stoudamire last season? this guy can be like that but be a way bigger threat offensively.stoudamire needs this guy to put of 07 caliber stats again and like the scouts are saying..THIS GUY IS A FREAK OF NATURE!!! 270+ 7'1 and has the athleticsm of NENE this guy wont bust with amare at the 4 he will get the remaining trash points and rebounds and run the floor.him and amare equally MISMATCH CITY

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
Not to be a downer, but i honestly don't see this guy gettin much playing time or being effective in coaches line up..

Blas

Benchwarmer
At least it is better then some of the people who are from America and post on this forum...

Give him 6 months he will be a lot better at speaking English.