Stat by Stat analysis of our 2010 Knicks

smokes

Huge Member
The amount of negativity coming from some camps in our lovely forums has been astounding. I've actually read posts from people thinking we are no better than last season and that we will have the same record?! Lol...

Well anyway here's my own personal statistical analysis of our Knicks, 2009 vs 2010 and what it means going into next year.

PPG

2009 Knicks: 102 for 106 against

2010 Knicks: We now have Amare over Lee (scoring upgrade) and Felton over Duhon (scoring upgrade). In the scoring department we only lost Al Brickington so a reasonable assessment would be us having a similar PPG for. An optimistic assessment would be that with our significantly upgraded backcourt and frontcourt in terms of speed and athleticism we will see an increase in scoring due to the uptempo system of D'antoni being better suited to speed and athleticism.

As far as defense goes, we upgraded at almost every spot. Chandler/Gallo/Douglas are all proving to be solid defenders. Amar'e is certainly no worse than Lee and could be argued to be better (height advantage, better vertical). We added Turiaf and Azubuike who are good defenders. We will certainly see a reduced PPG against us this season.

2010 Prediction: 103-104 PPG for 103-104 PPG against (yes I'm predicting we will be a .500-.550 team next year)

REBOUNDING

2009 Knicks: 40.4 for 44.9 against

2010 Knicks: We lost some rebounding with David Lee's exit but we gained with Turiaf/Randolph. On the offensive glass we will be better than before and defensively we should be equal. Depending which players break the rotation we will certainly see a better rebounding TEAM as we will have size at the appropriate positions unlike last season where our PF spot was covered by undersized forwards.

2010 Prediction: 43.5 for 42 against

ASSISTS

2009 Knicks: 21.6 for 21.0 against

2010 Knicks: This is a no brainer, we got a huge upgrade at our starting 1 spot who is a pass first PG. Even if his stats don't blossom which anyone with knowledge of PG's in D'antoni's system are sure will happen, we will still see an increase here. As far as the east goes though, all the other PG's are improving so we will probably see in increase against us too.

2010 Prediction: 24 for 22 against

BLOCKS

2009 Knicks: 3.7 for 4.5 against

2010 Knicks: Again, we are going to see improvement here without a doubt. Amare blocks a shot per game more than Lee and Randolph/Turiaf can both block. Considering our athleticism and the fact we have guards who can finish strong around the rim now as oppose to Duhorrible and Larry Hughes who could put up a layup so soft it could be blocked by Nate Robinson, you would expect a decrease against us too.

2010 Prediction: 4.5 for 4.0 against

As far as other team stats go, they are harder to break down at face value. You would imagine an overall increase in FG% once things settle down in the offense. With this team we are going to be playing much more consistent ball than just hoisting shots to keep ourselves in the game. If our 3P% stays the same or improves it will be nice.

Next thing to look at is how people are crying like girls that the East got "soooooo much better" while we barely did anything... Erm, hello? How exactly did the east get SO MUCH better?

Orlando: Probably losing Barnes and Redick. No real improvement through trades or FA. Best case equal to last year, worst case they will decline.

Celtics: Resigned their aging stars, lost Nate and possibly Sheed who were big for them down the stretch. Made a couple of decent signings. Probably equal to last year.

Cavaliers: What can you say. They lost Lebron. They are most likely gonna be in turmoil. I'd be surprised if they made the playoffs.

Bucks: Possibly a team on the up. Bogut and Jennings should improve and they are looking strong.

Bobcats: Lost Felton to us, would be surprised if they got better.

Bulls: Definately stronger, only team other than NY and Miami in the east that will see a significant improvement.

Nets: With the addition of the 3rd pick and Anthony Morrow they should improve a bit, but improving on last season is not exactly hard. Still not likely to see playoff action.

Wizards: Even with John Wall they are incomplete and are unlikely to do big things this year.

Hawks: Pretty much the same, if Joe Johnson brings it like he should after securing a 100 million dollar payday they should get a little better.

Pacers, Pistons, Sixers, Raptors: Only real improvement is their draft picks, nothing major, plus Toronto lost Bosh so lol.

So exactly where is this huge improvement in the Eastern conference? And how is our team with Felton over Duhon, Amare over Lee, and Randolph/Turiaf added NOT significantly better than last year?

2010 Regular Season Standings as predicted by me:

1 Miami
2 Boston
3 Orlando
4 Chicago
5 Atlanta
6 Milwaukee
7 New York
8 Who cares?

If you bothered to read all this you must be just as bored as I am :lol:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Worse team than last year?

I was bored until I read that

+1 for you dude

Are people honestly saying our roster is worse off than last year? I haven't read that. Who are these nay sayers?

-Almost $30M in cap space.
-Best front court we've had in more than a decade at both ends.
-Younger
-More athletic
-Bigger
-Stronger
-Deeper
-Faster
-A handful of team options next off season
-NBA's most prolific paint scorer
-Versatility/depth at each position

We're the second best team in the Atlantic behind an ageing pack of limping hemorrhoids. God I hate Boston. We'll over take them in just over a year.

I think the sole downgrade is front court passing
2010 Prediction: 43.5 for 42 against
. Our +/- in this category could go either way. There's a likelihood of a higher FG% with better finishers. There's also a likelihood of a lower vs opponent ratio with less experienced players.

In the scoring department we only lost Al Brickington
And I am loving it. Gallo's complete game and superior shooting make losing Harrington non pertinent.

BLOCKS

2009 Knicks: 3.7 for 4.5 against
I think we can basically reverse these stats. Perhaps even less in the against?

REBOUNDING

2009 Knicks: 40.4 for 44.9 against
I am a bit concerned about this with Stat as our main presence. Randolph brings that non-human wingspan in though. Not sure what to think or assume.

1 Miami
2 Boston
3 Orlando
4 Chicago
5 Atlanta
6 Milwaukee
7 New York
8 Who cares?

Good call. The 1st round is going to be tough with our inexperienced, young team. If we win a series, it'll be about timing and cohesion. Physically, athletically, potentially we're as good as any team out there. Youth and inexperience is the main concern.

I'm so looking forward to seeing these young guns. Awesome.

smokes

Huge Member
No I don't think anyone said we are worse. But there were a few people in the We can beat Miami thread saying we are no better than last year and our record will be pretty much the same. SMH. Seriously...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I'm sure they're just the poor souls that still have sand in their vaginas because LePoof went to Miami. I hope Miami moves to Chernobyl.

mafra

Legend
As D'ant said (in NY Times):

“We’re not sitting here going, ‘Oh, my God, now what are we going to do?’ ” D’Antoni said of losing out on James. “We’ll move on. It’s a little disappointing that you didn’t get him, but we’re really happy with Amar’e, and we think we’ve got some really good kids coming out of this, and we’ll have some flexibility.

He added, “It almost energizes you more to get it done.”

Although he likes his pieces, D’Antoni was not quite ready to say he had a playoff team. Stoudemire, at 27, is the oldest player. There is also the unknown of chemistry. But after two years of worries about expiring contracts and whether James would be coming, the Knicks’ demolition project is at least at its end.
Everything will be just about winning, not just trying to maintain or create cap space,” D’Antoni said. “Now you start building instead of tearing down.”

AND THEN, CHandler adds:

“Even without LeBron, we’re moving in the right direction,” said Chandler, who missed the final month of the season but expects to be fully healed from ankle and hernia injuries by the start of training camp. “With the team we have, that we’re building, the playoffs should be the least of our goals right now.”

Have to admit.... BEating MIA would be better than winning with Lebron. We'll fight and gain valuable experience this year and then MELO will join us next Summer.

Anyway you slice it.... We have made it through the tough times. We should bea good team. Not great but good (and fun to watch). We are now building towards something, not in a holding pattern.

Only one thing could derail this (Bringing IT back). I admit if Melo signs the extension with DEN, that too would be a serious blow. Melo isn't going to lead you to a title, but if you pair him with STAT... Then you have something.

If you get Melo, you'll get Deron or CP3. Then we are as good as it gets!

iJoe

Rotation player
Still don't see why people are giving Miami so much credit so soon. They don't have a team yet.

No real center and no real PG (unless you count chalmers). Absolutely no bench either.

They'll probably be a force no matter what in a high paced driving game. They just don't have any shooters right now or big to play in a half court. Magic will probably still give them fits as of right now. Their best hope would be just constant pick and rolls with Bosh.

Lebron pick and roll with Bosh, Defense collapses on both, he kicks out to.... Dwade/Chalmers? I can live with that.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
No real center and no real PG (unless you count chalmers). Absolutely no bench either.

Well i think theyre lineup for most of the game will be something like
Lebron
Wade
Miller
Bosh
(center)

or
Wade
Miller
Lebron
Bosh
(center)

so while center is a big hole, i think that chalmers is pretty much theyre backup pg.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i honestly think we can pull out 45-50 wins this season this squad is mentally tough and will be much more physical then it has been in the past decade we got pounders in the paint in STAT and turiaf we wont get bodied in the paint and that will go along way

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
Well i think theyre lineup for most of the game will be something like
Lebron
Wade
Miller
Bosh
(center)

or
Wade
Miller
Lebron
Bosh
(center)

so while center is a big hole, i think that chalmers is pretty much theyre backup pg.

I imagine the playoff series against the Magic. Who defend on Howard ?