Heat meet with Derek Fisher

Kiyaman

Legend
MIAMI (AP)?Derek Fisher(notes) might be why Miami?s new trio of superstars left money on the table.

Fisher met Saturday with Heat president Pat Riley, one day after the team lavishly introduced LeBron James(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) as Dwyane Wade?s(notes) newest teammates. James, Bosh and Wade all will make less than the $16.6 million they could have commanded next season, giving Miami the chance to lure other players.

Riley declined comment Saturday.

Fisher has been part of all five Los Angeles Lakers championships in the Kobe Bryant(notes) era. After the Lakers won their second straight title last month, Fisher said he would return to Los Angeles, and Bryant insisted he wouldn?t allow Fisher to play anywhere else.

But after Fisher reportedly received a $2.5 million offer for next season from Los Angeles, he listened to other possibilities, including the chance to play in Miami, which had enough cap room to not only keep Wade and add James and Bosh, but could lure a slew of other talented players as well.

?It?s about sacrifice now,? Wade said.

James, Bosh and Wade all signed six-year contracts. The value of James and Bosh?s deals is nearly $111 million, while Wade took around $107 million. They could have received about $125.5 million apiece if they had taken the maximum value allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement.

?What we signed for is not important,? James said Friday night at Miami?s welcome celebration. ?One thing that is important is we all sacrificed money, sacrificed a lot of things to be a part of this. But what we signed for is not important. What we?re going to do this coming fall is what?s most important.?

Fisher averaged 7.5 points and 2.5 assists while starting all 82 regular-season games last season. In the playoffs, he averaged 10.3 points and 2.8 assists, again the starter for all 23 postseason contests.

Wade, James and Bosh all have given names to Riley of various players they would like to see join the Heat. Miami is closing in on a deal with Mike Miller(notes) and expects to keep Udonis Haslem(notes), who has more lucrative offers from other clubs but wants to remain in South Florida?his lifelong home.

?He?s been a part of this with me for seven years. ? We want Udonis back and we?re going to do everything we can to make sure Udonis stays home,? Wade said Friday night.

Riley said Friday that there ?might be some good news? about Haslem?s status with the Heat in the coming days.

Nonetheless, now with only four players?James, Wade, Bosh and Mario Chalmers(notes)?under contract, the work continues to fill out Miami?s roster.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Saturday that Miami has had contact with forward Juwan Howard(notes). Other free agents who are known to have expressed interest in Miami include Raja Bell(notes), Chris Quinn(notes), Quentin Richardson(notes) and Jamaal Magloire(notes), and the Heat still have the rights to restricted center Joel Anthony(notes).

Dorell Wright(notes) is moving on, however. The swingman who spent his first six seasons in Miami agreed in principle to a three-year deal Saturday with Golden State, returning to his native California.

Wade said after Miami?s season ended in May that he hoped Wright?one of his closest friends?would return to Miami. But on his Twitter feed late Saturday night, Wade offered congratulations, saying ?I?m a proud big bro.?

Kiyaman

Legend
Derick Fisher 'pose to be a Knick

Derick Fisher......the underratted top PG in the NBA.
His skills/talent carries a strong team leadership at being a
smooth player coach on the court, to being the "man" in the
lockerroom/practice facility.
The stratigic plays Fisher create for each of his teammates after
a play is broken is priceless.

I kept mentioning the first FA we go after on July 1st should be Derick Fisher
to mold our offense/defense PG-Toney Douglas potential into the consistent
star player his young talent has showed.
Toney Douglas lacks the confidence to control/lead his teammates in
believing he has the ability to improve their performance.
One season with Derick Fisher as Douglas teammate the quality in all
our guards would advance tremendously.

The Knicks signing of Derick Fisher may not have been to appealing to
the Knick fans, but it wouldve been an impact to all the top FA in the
open market (no three-peat for Lakers).
FA like T-Mac wouldve cut his vacation short to workout with Walker
at the Knicks summer training facility.

Signing Fisher wouldve stop the Knicks from being the team which
"set the stage price" on the top FA PF that left their teams.
We were suppose to be going after the best players at their position in the FA market, yet we thought little or nothing of PG-Derick Fisher and his capabilities to better our team.
As if a five championship ring PG would disrulpt our chances of going after Lebron King James...

Fisher will get the Lakers to open up their wallet now :teeth::teeth::teeth:

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Thats gonna light a fire under Kobes ass if that happens. Thats Kobes boy. There like 2 peas in a pod. That would make Miami hella stronger barring Fisher still having his legs, which I think he will.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I feel like Fisher is just playing MIA so LA will reach deeper in their pockets... I always saw him retiring in LA.

iJoe

Rotation player
Fisher isn't underrated. He specialized PG who plays in a system which maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. The triangle doesn't require a PG to handle nearly as much responsibility. Look at how the Lakers play, or how Chicago functioned back in the day.

Fisher would be a terrible terrible fit for the Knicks. We need a fast PG who can push the pace and run the pick and roll. Fisher would be doing everyone a favor by going to Miami. I'm rooting for him to move and weaken both the lakers and heat.

iSaYughh

Starter
So many blinders on that MIA is doomed to being some 3pony show.

Already on cusp of locking down Miller, Udonis Haslem, and possibly Fischer too.

You don't get to the point of swiftly maneuvering and swooping in and inking Wade-Bron-Bosh, if you don't have total control over your vision, and have the will and ability to make more moves and get shit done.

If Fischer did deflect from LA/Kobe...it would heighten hatred for the Hear to the absolute penultimate. Imagine the Kobe reaction...Wow.

I know the old word is Bosh doesn't wanna play C. But right now it has to be:

Fischer
Wade
Lebron
Haslem
Bosh
6th Miller

At least how MIA is envisioning it at this pt.

Washington Piss really skullfckd the league giving MIA this opportunity.

Fisher will re-sign with the Lakers.

The Heat won't win the championship next season because they won't have enough pieces to win a ring. The Lakers are still the best team in the NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Fisher isn't underrated. He specialized PG who plays in a system which maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. The triangle doesn't require a PG to handle nearly as much responsibility. Look at how the Lakers play, or how Chicago functioned back in the day.

Fisher would be a terrible terrible fit for the Knicks. We need a fast PG who can push the pace and run the pick and roll. Fisher would be doing everyone a favor by going to Miami. I'm rooting for him to move and weaken both the lakers and heat.

u dont remember what Fisher did to two losing teams "GSW & Jazz".
How many times or teams did the Lakers run their Triangle offense the last two years?
The triangle offense was not effective on any of the teams in this playoffs.
It didnt even work on the young Thunder.

iJoe

Rotation player
I dont recall fisher being that valuable to either the Jazz or GSW. He played a smaller part.

He isn't required to push the ball or handle in LA. Doesn't need to set up the offense and mostly relies on his smarts to get into good positions. Hes a clutch veteran that has Kobe's trust.

NY needs a fast PG that can push and guide the offense. Felton was a great grab. Think Fisher can play uptempo and set up plays? You must be watching a different game than I am.

Paul1355

All Star
Derick Fisher......the underratted top PG in the NBA.
His skills/talent carries a strong team leadership at being a
smooth player coach on the court, to being the "man" in the
lockerroom/practice facility.
The stratigic plays Fisher create for each of his teammates after
a play is broken is priceless.

I kept mentioning the first FA we go after on July 1st should be Derick Fisher
to mold our offense/defense PG-Toney Douglas potential into the consistent
star player his young talent has showed.
Toney Douglas lacks the confidence to control/lead his teammates in
believing he has the ability to improve their performance.
One season with Derick Fisher as Douglas teammate the quality in all
our guards would advance tremendously.

The Knicks signing of Derick Fisher may not have been to appealing to
the Knick fans, but it wouldve been an impact to all the top FA in the
open market (no three-peat for Lakers).
FA like T-Mac wouldve cut his vacation short to workout with Walker
at the Knicks summer training facility.

Signing Fisher wouldve stop the Knicks from being the team which
"set the stage price" on the top FA PF that left their teams.
We were suppose to be going after the best players at their position in the FA market, yet we thought little or nothing of PG-Derick Fisher and his capabilities to better our team.
As if a five championship ring PG would disrulpt our chances of going after Lebron King James...

Fisher will get the Lakers to open up their wallet now :teeth::teeth::teeth:
he is a clutch outside shooter with experience, nothing more, on a decent team he would not be as impressive, he needs help and gets it with Kobe, Gasol, Artest, and Bynum

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I dont recall fisher being that valuable to either the Jazz or GSW. He played a smaller part.
I remembered he actually played a fairly bigger part in GSW and Utah. He scored more than he did in LA, but he also slowed the game down for both teams.

[Fisher] isn't required to push the ball or handle in LA. Doesn't need to set up the offense and mostly relies on his smarts to get into good positions. Hes a clutch veteran that has Kobe's trust.
That is an excellent description of Fisher in L.A. He is a fast player, but not one that can keep a high-tempo pace so forget about fitting in NY/D'antoni's system.

Derek Fisher might fit in Riley's group in Miami though. He doesn't need to make plays or push the ball; Wade and James can do that. I doubt he'll go, but he can use that to squeeze money out of LA.