Here we go AGAIN: Reality Check

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
On paper, this team looks guaranteed to make the playoffs. Especially considering the fact that the Eastern Conference is a weak conference.

However, D'Antoni is a crappy coach.

He likes to play favorites with his starting lineups and rotations, and he likes putting people in "doghouses."

I'm going to agree with Jimkchief and say that I don't see the Knicks making the playoffs.

However, it's not for the same reasons as Jimkchief.

I think the Knicks have the talent to guarantee themselves a playoff spot, but I don't think D'Antoni will utilize his talent properly.

I expect D'Antoni to not give Randolph or Turiaf much playing time, because all he seems to care about is 3 point shooters and people who can get steals and assists in transition.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he puts Felton in his "doghouse."

This is a 41-46 win team, but because D'Antoni is a crappy decision maker, I expect the Knicks to win 30-36 games.

P.S.- The Knicks don't have 4 All Stars like the Phoenix Suns had in each season D'Antoni coached the Suns. That should be taken into consideration, because D'Antoni has not proven he could get a team with just 1 All Star to make the playoffs or be successful.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Diehard fans know a group of "Internationals" will get eaten alive by real NBA talent.

Why's a bum ass poster like you gettin racist now?

I gotta admit it was kind of funny though :lol:

On paper, this team looks guaranteed to make the playoffs. Especially considering the fact that the Eastern Conference is a weak conference.

He likes to play favorites with his starting lineups and rotations, and he likes putting people in "doghouses."

I'm going to agree with Jimkchief and say that I don't see the Knicks making the playoffs.

I think the Knicks have the talent to guarantee themselves a playoff spot, but I don't think D'Antoni will utilize his talent properly.

I expect D'Antoni to not give Randolph or Turiaf much playing time, because all he seems to care about is 3 point shooters and people who can get steals and assists in transition.

This is a 41-46 win team, but because D'Antoni is a crappy decision maker, I expect the Knicks to win 30-36 games.

P.S.- The Knicks don't have 4 All Stars like the Phoenix Suns had in each season D'Antoni coached the Suns. That should be taken into consideration, because D'Antoni has not proven he could get a team with just 1 All Star to make the playoffs or be successful.

Thats a good point that completely went over my head. We do the lineup of a playoff team with alot of future potential, but we also has a coach that gets emotional on the job.

I can see Antoni being the reason for at least 5 of our losses next year, probably more like 10 to be realistic

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
raymond felton is very fast and was limited to larry brown halfcourt offense...i believe we havent seen raymond felton potential yet

iSaYughh

Starter
Summer League word is that Douglas is astounding. Even as a 1.

No way Felton is dog housed. His contract is way too big, important, and above else visible to fans/the world for him not to get ridden hard.

He's a legit pg. Look how long D'ant rode The Hound bc he didn't want combo guard types running the point.

Felton is our starter for the year barring injury.

Good chance Douglas will see starting minutes in turn.

Felton
Douglas
Gallo
AR
Amare

With Chandler, Walker, and Azzy flying off bench as versatile subs causing havoc; and Turiaf, The Russian, and Jordan spelling our bigs.

No way AR doesn't get big minutes from d'ant. He was crippled by Nelson. D'ant won't make same mistake. He's a big who can fly in a high tempo game and he has skills that --any-- coach with pride should relish playing and coaching up!

If:

Felton has a career rebound in an up tempo system (possible/logical)
Douglas keeps up with his improvement (doing it/possible)
Gallo stays healthy and continues on from late last season (possible/logical)
AR doesn't implode and can even just bring consistent D as a 2 way threat (possible)
Amare is Amare and healthy)

We are a playoff team with a fighting chance at scaring a team in 1st round and a lottery chance at shocking the world.

We just need everything to break our way this season, which isn't out of the question because individually all our players can ball, have potential, and are part of a legit team.

As a betting man...

25% miss playoffs and season epicfails
50% make playoffs as a playoff kicktoy
25% make playoffs as a playoff underdog who nobody wants to play.

I expect a lot out of D'ant too. Huge, defining year for him.

p0nder

Starter
I agree that this will be a defineing year for D'ant. If he masses it up then we'll know all the d'ant haters were right and we should of got patrick ewing or Mark Jackson as our head coach.

I don't expect them to be right, but you never know!

metrocard

Legend
If Walsh signed a bunch NBA scrubs from the midwest, Little Jimmy wouldn't be outraged.

Whats funny is that cheif is showing more frustration with this team more than when Isiah was runing this franchise.

He's a bias poster with no credibility, I don't even know why you guys reply to his garbage. He's mad because this team is cutting down on the midwest garbage...Lee is one gone, Chandler is on the move, and so is Curry. Once we're mid-west free, we'll be a good team. Check this: Remember when I preached we would be on the rise once we fired Isiah? Look at us now.

Trust in metro, I am the medicine.

jimkcchief88

All Star
If Walsh signed a bunch NBA scrubs from the midwest, Little Jimmy wouldn't be outraged.

Whats funny is that cheif is showing more frustration with this team more than when Isiah was runing this franchise.

He's a bias poster with no credibility, I don't even know why you guys reply to his garbage. He's mad because this team is cutting down on the midwest garbage...Lee is one gone, Chandler is on the move, and so is Curry. Once we're mid-west free, we'll be a good team. Check this: Remember when I preached we would be on the rise once we fired Isiah? Look at us now.

Nooooooo, you are the village idiot.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Why's a bum ass poster like you gettin racist now?

I gotta admit it was kind of funny though :lol:

Thats a good point that completely went over my head. We do the lineup of a playoff team with alot of future potential, but we also has a coach that gets emotional on the job.

I can see Antoni being the reason for at least 5 of our losses next year, probably more like 10 to be realistic

When I say "International", I mean talent level, not ethnicity. "International" players are projects at best and need time to adjust to the NBA game. Even though I live in the midwest, it is Chicago, home to the largest polish population outside of Warsaw. We have plenty of "internationals" here that I deal with on a day to day basis. In fact I am coaching a local spanish restaurants womens hoops team this fall. So no, I am not a racist, just a realist.

CoolClyde

Jim!

being a longtime Chiefs fan as well I know a little something about bad teams, and this is a bad team.

I understand your frustration Jim, the Chiefs really do suck. However, the Knicks have improved at EVERY position, their bench has gotten much stronger, as has the defense. I see playoffs and beyond.

Here's your Knicks reality check Jimbo:

Felt-tip >>>> Duhound (Raymundo destroyed the Knicks last year)
Stud-admire >>> DLEE (STAT stands tall and is talented, no denial)
Sir Tony Douglas is getting better all the time, offensively and defensively
Gallipini will be an improved player, a 3-point machine standing 6'10"
Weedson Chandler will be improved or gone with Curry sausage for another GREAT player
Billy the Sky Walker - 20 lbs lighter = 20 lbs better

other additions:
Toughiaf - great defensive player/teammate, swatted many a ball away vs Knicks
Ant Randolph - the second coming of Boosh? 20 year old phenom? unlimited potential? 14th pick in draft a year ago? GREAT addition!
Azukibuki - excellent shooter, swingman, 14 pts/4.5 bounds + 14.89 EFF, out of Kentucky, the kid knows how to play
Johnny Rottens - a very good 3 point shooter, 4-year schooled at Syracuse
Mrs. Fields - great cookies, another Weedson Chandler type
Timofey Leary - the unknown Russian quantity, could be "Jaws"-like James Bond enforcer Knicks never had
Jerome "Mikey" Jordan - yet another legit 7-footer to clog the paint, block shots

others who we have no idea what will become of them:
Al Chuckington - will he be signed and traded or just forgotten?
Edie Blouse - see above
Tracy McGrody - see above
Earl the Red Barron - 7" bench
Jonathan Bencher - bench?

Suffice to say, this is a WAY IMPROVED TEAM. To start a reality check thread as to our unimproved team is WAY PESSIMISTIC. You gotta have hope Jim. you gotta believe. you gotta look at the last 2 years, who was on this team, and who we have now, and say: Damn, this is a much better Knick squad, let's see what happens... Knowing Donnie and how Plan 2010 from Outer Space is coming together, we're not done yet... Chandler/Curry will soon be gone, the expiring contracts will either fade away or become better players... who knows? I say, be a Knicks fan and believe something good is on the horizon, or GTFO and go watch your Len Dawson/Hank Stram films of yesteryear. you're a sad excuse for a Knicks fan.

iJoe

Rotation player
raymond felton is very fast and was limited to larry brown halfcourt offense...i believe we havent seen raymond felton potential yet

Totally agree. People can't focus too much on the numbers, as LB played a very very controlled and slow pace.

Best case scenario, Felton learned to play defense and half court from Larry, and can now be unleashed to have full control of the knicks running game. :crossfingers:

jimkcchief88

All Star

I don't think this team is that good on paper, but your point about D'ant is very valid. D'ant hasn't gotten very much out of his Knicks teams as our sorry record tells us. D'ant is a big name coach who is used to coaching big name players. Expecting him to develop and grow talent is not gonna happen. We had a coach that would have done that for us and his name was Larry Brown. But our stupid GM/Pres. Isiah Thomas fired our hall of fame coach and teacher after only one year. The fact that LB wanted nothing to do with Felton should tell you something people. The fact that a multi-ring having GM like Steve Kerr made NO ATTEMPT to resign Amare while other NBA GM's where breaking thier necks to resign their MAX free-agents should tell you something else. Even us county folks from the Midwest can figure this simple stuff out.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I am sorry guys, but I'm not feeling it. Knicks fans were sold a bill of goods and I am not buying it. This 2010 KNICKS team is NOT a GOOD team and will struggle to win as many games as last years team. Enough of the hype ok. I don't want to hear about "ohhh we got STAT(where did that acronym come from anyway???). All we did is trade one HARDWORKING 20/10 guy for one questionable 20/10 guy. Amare has never had to experience in Phoenix what he is about to go through in New York: the constant losing, the media, the fans, the scrutiny. You say overpaying for Amare was a good move to try to lure LJ. Well it didn't work now we are stuck with a potential problem. Amare shined last year on a good team in a contract year. Let's see how Amare competes on a bad team with with a fat bankroll in his pocket.

We were promised LJ and and another MAX player, we got Amare and a bunch of castoffs. How can you be excited about players the Warriors threw away??? Ronny Turiaf is a donut which is why the Lakeshow dumped him and the others were throw-ins to make the money work. Thats it. Now we got Felton Spencer(WHO????) and some big clown from Russia and I'm supposed to be excited about the upcoming season???

Let's call a spade a spade guys. This is ANOTHER THROW AWAY SEASON BECAUSE WE MISSED ON LEBRON. It is what it is. What do you think Knicks brass is going to admit their entire plan crumbled when Lebron spurned them??? Hell naw, their job is to sell tickets. Did you hear what Lebron said?? No matter what you think about Lebron going to the HEAT, he told it in his statement: Pat Riley and the Heat give him a better chance to win than New York. Trading away every piece of the team for pipe dreams, the Starbury debacle, the horrible draft picks, and general team mismanagement have made New York a place to stay away from and the joke of the league.

Mark it down this team will struggle to win 30 games this year. The rest of the East got way better while we are overpaying backup point guards and Russian castoffs just to save face. Its pitiful really. We are sounding like Cub fans and its pitiful:" Just wait till next year...." Just pray the MELO wants to get the hell out of the mountains and will come home and play for the KNICKS next year and we can grab a real PG like Parker or Paul, not the backup that will be starting next year. If both those thing don't happen, we need to: FIRE WALSH, FIRE DANT, START OVER!!!!

I'll cosign this 100%.... REAL KNICK FANS, who love the Knicks and know what it will take to become a real contender will understand what you are saying. Knick Fanatics are the ones who are crying over the lebron debacle and in an effort to get over it, many of them want to put on the blinders and look at this team with rose colored glasses. Well you guys need to wise the eff up. You can try to be blind about the realities of the Knicks, but that won't change the fact that they are NOT a playoff team. they are NOT that much better than they were last year .. MAINLY because of the inept coach the knicks have on teh sidelines. The fact that the majority of the "fans" on this site are so unwilling to take D'antoni to task shows how ignorant or just lost they really are. Keep it up Chief, i'm with you 100% on this topic.

Actually it looks like you are being the biased one here with your hatred for the midwest region. The only player you mentioned that isn't worth a shit is Curry....we can atleast agree on that, but to say Lee and Chandler is just some scrubs is stretchin' it.

Using your logic....there isn't any good players from the Midwest. Which we all know is a bunch of bullshit. Your attitude towards the middle of America is exactly the reason the rest of the country despises New Yorkers so much.

I don't agree with the OP's initial post one bit but being that Im also from the Midwest just like him I won't sit here and let you berate our region for no reason like that. Show some class will ya?

We are all Knicks fans here aren't we? :beer:

shaolin

Benchwarmer
While I do think many are overvaluing the Knicks' potential, it is easy to argue that the Knicks got better. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks win 40 or slightly more even, but I would say the Knicks are a 37-40 win team based on talent.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if you add Melo and CP3 or Deron Williams, that is a better solid team, depending if we are able to keep the other key pieces.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I understand your frustration Jim, the Chiefs really do suck. However, the Knicks have improved at EVERY position, their bench has gotten much stronger, as has the defense. I see playoffs and beyond.

Here's your Knicks reality check Jimbo:

Felt-tip >>>> Duhound (Raymundo destroyed the Knicks last year)
Stud-admire >>> DLEE (STAT stands tall and is talented, no denial)
Sir Tony Douglas is getting better all the time, offensively and defensively
Gallipini will be an improved player, a 3-point machine standing 6'10"
Weedson Chandler will be improved or gone with Curry sausage for another GREAT player
Billy the Sky Walker - 20 lbs lighter = 20 lbs better

other additions:
Toughiaf - great defensive player/teammate, swatted many a ball away vs Knicks
Ant Randolph - the second coming of Boosh? 20 year old phenom? unlimited potential? 14th pick in draft a year ago? GREAT addition!
Azukibuki - excellent shooter, swingman, 14 pts/4.5 bounds + 14.89 EFF, out of Kentucky, the kid knows how to play
Johnny Rottens - a very good 3 point shooter, 4-year schooled at Syracuse
Mrs. Fields - great cookies, another Weedson Chandler type
Timofey Leary - the unknown Russian quantity, could be "Jaws"-like James Bond enforcer Knicks never had
Jerome "Mikey" Jordan - yet another legit 7-footer to clog the paint, block shots

others who we have no idea what will become of them:
Al Chuckington - will he be signed and traded or just forgotten?
Edie Blouse - see above
Tracy McGrody - see above
Earl the Red Barron - 7" bench
Jonathan Bencher - bench?

Suffice to say, this is a WAY IMPROVED TEAM. To start a reality check thread as to our unimproved team is WAY PESSIMISTIC. You gotta have hope Jim. you gotta believe. you gotta look at the last 2 years, who was on this team, and who we have now, and say: Damn, this is a much better Knick squad, let's see what happens... Knowing Donnie and how Plan 2010 from Outer Space is coming together, we're not done yet... Chandler/Curry will soon be gone, the expiring contracts will either fade away or become better players... who knows? I say, be a Knicks fan and believe something good is on the horizon, or GTFO and go watch your Len Dawson/Hank Stram films of yesteryear. you're a sad excuse for a Knicks fan.

If I am not a Knicks fan, why do I have a pair of 70's Cool Clyde New York Puma's???? Seriously, just because you are critical of your team doesn't make you any less of a fan. I bother to post religiously about a team that hasn't won a playoff series in a decade and is HATED in the region where I live. I still bust my Knicks gear on the regular to be spat upon by the locals and I am not a fan??? I think that makes me MORE of a fan than 95% of this board. Only Cub fans follow thier team and are drunk and happy no matter how dyfunctional the team is. Just the fact that we are considering Isiah as GM again shows how pitiful the Knicks organization is and why LJ wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole. Can you imagine:"LJ its Isiah Thomas for the Knicks at the door wanting to talk to you." " Didn't they JUST FIRE HIM??? Tell him I am on vacation on the Moon!!!"

You are right I still watch the old Hank Stram videos. The Chiefs won a Superbowl about the same the KNICKS won an NBA title. Maybe you should brush up the old Willis Reed video yourself. "65 toss power trap baby!!!" "I knew it would work!!!" CLASSIC!!!!

Last edited:

CoolClyde

If I am not a Knicks fan, why do I have a pair of 70's Cool Clyde New York Puma's???? Seriously, just because you are critical of your team doesn't make you any less of a fan. I bother to post religiously about a team that hasn't won a playoff series in a decade and is HATED in the region where I live. I still bust my Knicks gear on the regular to be spat upon by the locals and I am not a fan??? I think that makes me MORE of a fan than 95% of this board. Only Cub fans follow thier team and are drunk and happy no matter how dyfunctional the team is. Just the fact that we are considering Isiah as GM again shows how pitiful the Knicks organization is and why LJ wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole. Can you imagine:"LJ its Isiah Thomas for the Knicks at the door wanting to talk to you." " Didn't they JUST FIRE HIM??? Tell him I am on vacation on the Moon!!!"

You are right I still watch the old Hank Stram videos. The Chiefs won a Superbowl about the same the KNICKS won an NBA title. Maybe you should brush up the old Willis Reed video yourself. "65 toss power trap baby!!!" "I knew it would work!!!" CLASSIC!!!!
I'm just busting your KC chops, Jim. I was actually a KC Chiefs fan back when they won the bowl (think I was 7). I know you're a Knick fan based on all your posts, altho I think you should get the f*ck in and support their moves. Donnie never said he was gonna get El BJ, there were never any guarantees. what's an old man in a wheelchair supposed to do? I'm psyched, I can't help it. Peace.

smokes

Huge Member
If you really think that

Douglas
Chandler
Gallo
Harrington
Lee
Duhon
Curry

is equal to

Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Stat
Turiaf
Walker
Randolph
Azubuike
Douglas

Then I don't see any point in debating things with you. You clearly have a delusional point of view about talent.

As far as abcd's points about being concerned about D'antoni coaching, while I have never been a big fan of D'ant (for different reasons, mostly his lack of designed plays for certain situations, rookie coaching mistakes and somewhat his questionable sub patterns), there is a reason we played the way we did the last 2 years. He knew we were a sub-par team, and didn't want to be totally embarassed with our record (given the players we had our record wasn't truly that bad). Hoisting 3's helped us win quite a few of our games when they were falling, that no tit-for-tat gameplan would have won us.

I'll definately give D'antoni til trade deadline to see what he can do with this new team. Now we know we have some talent in the roster let's keep our fingers crossed that he can manage it capably.

iSaYughh

Starter
Re: D'ant. This is the ultimate season to settle the debate and see whose assessment of him has been right, or wrong.

He has guys who can ball. Mix of vets and developed/developing youth. Guys who fit "his system". Enough. But not so much that if he does win there will be any doubts about it just being the players, vs his involvement.

And its coming off 2 disasterous, limbo-like years.