Anthony Randolph's defense prowess

metrocard

Legend

Is amazing to me, it really is.

A 6"11 230 lb SF/PF/C who can guard the perimeter, average 2+ blocks a game, while grab 4+ offensive rebounds and get 12 boards a game...

I honestly believe this guy can be potential defensive player of the year award.

The talent is there.
The mind set is there.

He just needs the minutes and a little more confidence(which comes with experience).

WOW...what a steal folks.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Marbury who?

metro im with u on this one. Randolph was alwaysa favorite of mine.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
David Lee had 41 blocks last year. He averaged 37:17 minutes a game. Started 81 games!

Anthony Randolph had 51 blocks in 33 games. He started 8 and averaged 22:41 minutes.

Actually, Turiaf himself had like 165 blocks in 2009!

p0nder

Starter
I'd be happy if he came in and averaged 13 and 10. Pretty good development over the last part of the year. He has a lot of skills and a lot of potential. I can see him becoming a STAT like player. He will get a block or two from that weakside help defending. I would like to see him develop in the post a little more on defense especially as that is where we will need him to step up.

He could easily develop into a 20-10 guy with 5 assists and 1.5 blocks per game. He has all the weapons and she's getting bigger, faster, and making better basketball decisions. This year will be a big test for him, but i like his chances.

mafra

Legend
I'd be happy if he came in and averaged 13 and 10. Pretty good development over the last part of the year. He has a lot of skills and a lot of potential. I can see him becoming a STAT like player. He will get a block or two from that weakside help defending. I would like to see him develop in the post a little more on defense especially as that is where we will need him to step up.

He could easily develop into a 20-10 guy with 5 assists and 1.5 blocks per game. He has all the weapons and she's getting bigger, faster, and making better basketball decisions. This year will be a big test for him, but i like his chances.

You see it now.... the plan:

STAT will be STAT in D'ant's old PHO system.
RANDOLPH will be DIAW.
AZUBUIKE will play the BELL part.
FELTON casts himself in the role of NASH.
CHANDLER stars as the new MARION.
DOUGLAS = BARBOSA.

We have GALLO to play the role of Joe Johnson.

Finally, Mike has his players to run his system. Away we go.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm excited to see Randolph develop into the player that many of us thought he could be. And this system is a perfect fit.

One question. Will he start or come off the bench?

mafra

Legend
I'm excited to see Randolph develop into the player that many of us thought he could be. And this system is a perfect fit.

One question. Will he start or come off the bench?

I think it depends on matchups and whatnot. Did Boris Diaw start? Sometimes, right?

WE can forget about Curry. I doubt he even hustles, let alone fight for a job. Mozgov is a dark horse, just because it would be nasty to have Randolph and Douglas eat 2nd teams alive (and fact is Randolph will play in 4th quarter anyway).

Sort of like Al Harrington last year.

Turiaf might as well when he's fully recovered and healthy.

But, it looks like.... to start the year.... it is Randolph's job almost by default. Wll he run with it?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Anthony Randolph

In the past, several members proposed various trades for Randolph. I get NBA League Pass and watched him a few times. His potential seems unlimited and he is not 21 until tomorrow. I concluded that he was untouchable.

There have been "concerns" about his basketball IQ and maturity but those things are usually age related. The video is impressive and his athleticism seems impossible for someone who is 6'11".

I agree with Metro. I do not know how we got him, but I am certainly glad he is ours. Thank you, Don Nelson!

Blas

Benchwarmer
I know this thread is about his defense of prowess, sorry Metro but I love this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GAtyNm8vnE&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GAtyNm8vnE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
I love his attitude, think he can bring "D" back to the Garden.

And this year, can we please not allow big name stars come to the Garden and put on a show, laugh & giggle, while they embarrass the Knicks. D'antoni seems to be like "Oh well, he is gonna get his points".

Why? With JVG or Mark Jackson as the coach this nonsense would not be allowed. I hope Randolph will step up and take charge.

Would this have happened on Oaks watch? I doubt it.

tiger0330

Legend
The guy is definitely unreal with his height, wing span and leaping ability. He is going to be the stopper down low and teams will think twice about taking it to the hole like they did last year, got tired of other team players saying that was the game plan to be aggressive and take it to the hole against the Knicks last year.

If D'Antoni doesn't play this kid big minutes, he needs to be fired asap.

I know this thread is about his defense of prowess, sorry Metro but I love this:

<OBJECT width=480 height=385>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GAtyNm8vnE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>

Wow if he does one of those a night in the Garden I'm gonna trip

Anthony randolphs d

Randolph needs to gain weight if you wanna play him along side Amare. It seems he did put some on but mozgov is a better fit. I think randoph will dominate smaller centers and he can play the 3,4 and 5. He's gonna bring some passion and attitude alond with Amare. Our D will be much improved cause these guys are fiesty and won't give up easy scores like the bums we had last year. Randolph will be 2nd team all defense this year.

petescud

Starter
I love what i see, although he doesn't look like he's going to get many assists...lol Looks to me like he's got all the right moves.... Just needs to learn to play team ball...just my opinion from what i see. He's what 21 so its not the end to all. I can't believe a guy 6'11" is that athletic though. At times he looks like a point guard

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer

Is amazing to me, it really is.

A 6"11 230 lb SF/PF/C who can guard the perimeter, average 2+ blocks a game, while grab 4+ offensive rebounds and get 12 boards a game...

I honestly believe this guy can be potential defensive player of the year award.

The talent is there.
The mind set is there.

He just needs the minutes and a little more confidence(which comes with experience).

WOW...what a steal folks.

Damn he showed it all against the Spurs. Shot, blocks, steals, and also decent vision in the post to find his other down low partner. Good stuff. I have been very vocal in my limited time here about how this team is overall a bunch better and well rounded group. We have trimmed off the offense only look and gotten way better defensively.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
a.r. will be a star is he gets consistent... that's the biggest problem they said in san fran was that he didn't always have his head in the game... his teammates were high on him though... so far he's my fav off season pick up as far as upside... hated losing lee to get him though but he does seem a better fix going on... hope to he can take the rough play in the east... but man can he run floor! go knickerbockers

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
watching that video metro posted vs. the spurs. Randolph has the skill to be a huge star just needs the consistent minutes so he could get the confidence D'Ant wont let this dude sit on the bench much he's going to be a vital part of how far we go this season he'll get the minutes and the production will be there he's already upped his weight to a nice 230 from 210 so he has the frame now just get him on the court i think he'll get about a consistent 30 minutes a game im expecting 15-16 points 10 boards 2 blocks 2 assists and 1 steal. thats a beasty average. im liking this dude more and more by the videos im watching.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Randolph will be a guy that will be unstoppable on both sides of the court. D'antoni has got to get better coaches to help in Randolph's development though.