Dantoni basically tells Gallo it's time to make it happen or step to the side!

New New York

Quiet Storm
I watched today's Summer League Game and there was a lot of interesting things Mike D had to say during the second quater interview, but to me the most was him telling Gallo if he is not ready he will get bumped.

Some people think Gallo is the coaches pet, but it appears that is not the case.

When asked about what Gallo is doing this off season he replied something to the effect of "I don't know,but he better be ready because there are players like Randolph and Feilds who will be"

That to me sounds like Mike is ready for Gallo to really show up this season, I dont think him just getting by on knocking down 3's is going to fly.

I happen to agree with Mike on this one. The bar was set pretty low for Gallo last year, all we wanted to see was could he hold up for whole season while somewhat producing without there being any issues with his back.....ok mission complete

But now he needs to take that next step. He needs to be a difference maker every single night he is on the floor even when his shot is not falling!

I liked the game with him trading shots with Melo, but the next step if for him to be the reason a player like Melo is in foul trouble because he is going at him so hard or even better, he be the reason a player like Melo is having an off game.

Now I like Gallo, I love the kid's heart....but now is the time for him to decide if he is going to be a impact player or a role player.

I'm not even expecting an All Star, but he needs to look to be a leader out there for us.....or he needs to step to the side and follow

Coming into the draft his best case/worst case was Hedo/Mike Dunlevy and I think we accepted Mike D last year because we were just happy to see him not being affected by the back, but now he is arguably the second best player on the team and it is time to show and prove.

For the record....I am not doubting the kid at all, I can see the potential in him but I'm just saying it is time to bring out the potential.

Gallo playing as good as he can be would be the reason we would be a playoff team.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree i expecting big things from him , i do think he will show up this season and play a huge role in our success but he has been awfully quiet havent heard much so i hope he's been working on his strength and game. i do think he'll come in ready to play though

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I watched today's Summer League Game and there was a lot of interesting things Mike D had to say during the second quater interview, but to me the most was him telling Gallo if he is not ready he will get bumped.

Some people think Gallo is the coaches pet, but it appears that is not the case.

When asked about what Gallo is doing this off season he replied something to the effect of "I don't know,but he better be ready because there are players like Randolph and Feilds who will be"

That to me sounds like Mike is ready for Gallo to really show up this season, I dont think him just getting by on knocking down 3's is going to fly.

I happen to agree with Mike on this one. The bar was set pretty low for Gallo last year, all we wanted to see was could he hold up for whole season while somewhat producing without there being any issues with his back.....ok mission complete

But now he needs to take that next step. He needs to be a difference maker every single night he is on the floor even when his shot is not falling!

I liked the game with him trading shots with Melo, but the next step if for him to be the reason a player like Melo is in foul trouble because he is going at him so hard or even better, he be the reason a player like Melo is having an off game.

Now I like Gallo, I love the kid's heart....but now is the time for him to decide if he is going to be a impact player or a role player.

I'm not even expecting an All Star, but he needs to look to be a leader out there for us.....or he needs to step to the side and follow

Coming into the draft his best case/worst case was Hedo/Mike Dunlevy and I think we accepted Mike D last year because we were just happy to see him not being affected by the back, but now he is arguably the second best player on the team and it is time to show and prove.

For the record....I am not doubting the kid at all, I can see the potential in him but I'm just saying it is time to bring out the potential.

Gallo playing as good as he can be would be the reason we would be a playoff team.
gallo will make great leaps this year, and obviously i would love to have melo or cp3 as our big 3 but gallo will be a pleasant surprise and will easilly be amare's wing man and do a wonderful job at it, he is to skilled to not be an all star one day

Gallo I promise will improve

and its for one reason and one reason alone

AL harrington

Jared Jefferies

nuff said.

with out those two bums taking minutes and shots away from him Gallo will put up 19 - 5 - 5 this year i promise you.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Gallo I promise will improve

and its for one reason and one reason alone

AL harrington

Jared Jefferies

nuff said.

with out those two bums taking minutes and shots away from him Gallo will put up 19 - 5 - 5 this year i promise you.

Exactly. I said the same thing in the recent "Harrington bashes Mike D" thread.

Proof.

mafra

Legend
Felton + Amar'e, along with Azubuike, Turiaf & Randolph, while subtracting Duhon, Hughes, N8 & Harrington.... is all good news for GALLO.

By default alone, even if last year's version of Gallo shows up.... He's a better player. However, he's young and hungry. He has that IT factor when it comes to competitive fire.... He has that spirit and work ethic. I know he'll improve his game, and we will see it immediately.

The new guys compliment Gallo's game. He'll average 18 points easily b/c STAT-RANDOLPH-FELTON will take pressure off and alleviate Gallo from the defensive focus.

LET IT RAIN.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Forgot to add.... Mike D is right. It's time for Gallo to shine. With such a deep roster, especially at the 3, all players bar Amar'e will be quickly shot down if they don't play up to scratch.

Pressure makes diamonds!

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
At least Gallo has shown production. coming back from a fvcked up back to show he can still shoot and show some, albeit not a lot, of driving skills. What the hell has D'antoni showed. he should be the one worrying about stepping aside

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
At least Gallo has shown production. coming back from a fvcked up back to show he can still shoot and show some, albeit not a lot, of driving skills. What the hell has D'antoni showed. he should be the one worrying about stepping aside
Totally. I love when people hijack threads to complain about D'Antoni. How original. Gallo has a lot to prove, and although I like the progress he's shown so far, I hope to see some dramatic improvements in his game this year.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Totally. I love when people hijack threads to complain about D'Antoni. How original. Gallo has a lot to prove, and although I like the progress he's shown so far, I hope to see some dramatic improvements in his game this year.

Well my main point was on Gallo play, the fact that d'antoni was the one attempting to act like this is a do or die season for Gallo iis ridiculous when his 1st year was spent mainly on the injured list..

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Well my main point was on Gallo play, the fact that d'antoni was the one attempting to act like this is a do or die season for Gallo iis ridiculous when his 1st year was spent mainly on the injured list..
How do you know he isn't doing this to light a fire under Gallo and dismiss the critics who claim that he plays because he is D'Antoni's god son?

No where in D'Antoni's statement did he make it clear that it was a "do-or-die" season for Gallo. New New York simply interpreted it and questioned what it may have meant. It's going a little far to call an interpretation, rather than a fact, an outrage. But it's understandable considering ignorant people like yourself will hate regardless.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
SEE . i look at this as a good thing ... gallo will take this in notice and will come out swinging ... he will have something 2 prove he was the 6th pick for a reason ... i never thoughted gallo ....

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
SEE . i look at this as a good thing ... gallo will take this in notice and will come out swinging ... he will have something 2 prove he was the 6th pick for a reason ... i never thoughted gallo ....

Beeing the 6th pick isn't something special; I just checked the 6th pick over the past 20 years:
1990 Felton Spencer
1991 Doug Smith
1992 Tom Gugliotta
1993 Calbert Cheany
1994 Sharone Wright
1995 Big Country Reeves
1996 Antoine Walker
1997 Ron Mercer
1998 Tractor Traylor
1999 Wally Szczerbiak
2000 DerMarr Johnson
2001 Shane Battier
2002 Dajuan Wagner
2003 Chris Kaman
2004 JOsh Childress
2005 Martell Webster
2006 Brandon Roy
2007 Yi Jianlan
2008 Gallo
2009 Johnny Flynn
2010 Ekpe Udoh

Roy, Kaman, Gugliotta, Walker are/were Allstars, others like Miller,Battier, Szczerbiak, Spencer and Cheany solid role players.

If he settles between these two groups, I'd be pleased.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I agree that D'ant was trying to make it sound as though Gallo as a starter is not a forgone conclusion. Do I believe it, sorta.

I think he would give Gallo the nod due to him being his God son and the player he has been, but not for long. He needs to step up and really show that, as others have said, he can be that impact player that can carry the team on some nights.

D'antoni has been quoted saying he thought of Gallo as a future All-star. I think he still does and I believe that if Gallo improves in the areas (running more fluidly up and down the court, a post move, one dribble drive and shoot)the coach noted in the interview @ SL that he will fulfill that potential.

If he improves in the above areas he will be something comparable to Dirk Nowitzki. That would be fine by me.:thumbsup:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

D'Antoni didn't mean anything by it.

All he basically said was "I hope he brings his a-game." That's IT. Stop reading too much into the whole "getting replaced", that's merely D'Antoni hoping that Gallo steps it up even further due to the competition. Nothing there even remotely implies that Gallo is going to lose his starting spot

New New York

Quiet Storm

D'Antoni didn't mean anything by it.

All he basically said was "I hope he brings his a-game." That's IT. Stop reading too much into the whole "getting replaced", that's merely D'Antoni hoping that Gallo steps it up even further due to the competition. Nothing there even remotely implies that Gallo is going to lose his starting spot

Gallo is the starting SF and no one is saying that Dantoni said otherwise, what I said was that Dantoni let Gallo know that if he is not ready then there are players who is will get the nod over him.

Gallo will start the season as the starting SF, but if he does not step up he will be replaced (that's my opinion, not what Mike D said)

Again....I think Gallo can raise his game, he has the heart and work ethic that brings about improvement in a player.....but if not.....he is a 6th man

Stavrogin

Rookie
I don't think D'Antoni will easily remove Gallo from his starting spot, even if he doesn't make very big games he still is by far our best SF.

And anyways, I am sure he will improve even more this year.

If Felton doesn't freeze him out like Duhon did... + there aren't those big chuckers any more (Nate & Al)... + we have a great inside presence in Amar'e.
I am convinced Gallo will surprise many people this year, dude is bound to be a star.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Not thrilled about the fact that coach doesn't know what Galo has been up too. Means we just have to wait and see if he has been working his butt off to get better are just sitting on his butt.

I know he has a twitter account but I don't... if any1 does is there anything on there?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Obviously.

I think what D'Antoni meant was that there's no excuse for poor play and/or slacking off. Even if it's Gallo - if he shows up to training camp out of shape and lazy, then D'Antoni won't hesitate to put somebody else in.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
i personally hope they don't rush him... he's still pretty young. let him continue to fill out and get his game together. his best years are way down the road