Official NBA Power Rankings

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/nba-hit-list-power-rankings-2011-nba-playoffs/

http://thehasbeenssports.com/2010/07/16/midseason-eastern-conference-rankings/

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/powerrankings/07/12/midsummer/index.html

It's mid-July, so I thought I would look up power rankings and see where the Knicks were. NBA.com only does the top 15 and we ain't in the top 15 right now, but the other two had us making the playoffs. The 2nd site's analysis is more fluid than the first one's. Interesting stuff regardless. Thoughts?

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I think we can overtake the Hawks - POTENTIALLY. At least based on talent . . . The Hawks made the Bucks without Bogut look good, and they got KILLED by the Magic.

I think we can overtake the Hawks - POTENTIALLY. At least based on talent . . . The Hawks made the Bucks without Bogut look good, and they got KILLED by the Magic.

I still believe that's a tall order with the current squad. I suppose it is possible, but I wouldn't get too excited about that just yet. How about we make the playoffs first? LOL. I just want to get in!

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I still believe that's a tall order with the current squad. I suppose it is possible, but I wouldn't get too excited about that just yet. How about we make the playoffs first? LOL. I just want to get in!

I know the Knicks are going to fight to get into the playoffs, and that is just the realistic outlook. The Hawks look good on paper and should be a top 6 team, but I just don't think they are going to be nearly as good they were last season even if they have all their pieces back. And they have a HUGE void at PG. The Knicks were able to beat them 3 times last year during the season with a mimimally operational team. They were also able to win A LOT of close games. I think we match up well against the Hawks. I think we will win 10 more games compared to last year's record at the very least. We can, at best, reach the 45-win mark. If this is achieved, then we can overtake the Hawks for sure. I don't think they are winning 53 games this year, or even close to that. Just my 2 cents. I don't think I am overly excited or anything like that.

Here is to the Knicks' future - not only this year, but the upcoming years.
:beer:

moneyg

Starter
the key thing is... ask yourself.. who made thew playopffs last year that wont make it this year.?????.. cleveland, bobcats....

now who didnt make it last year that will make it this year??

nobody..EXCEPT US

i think we are better than cleveland and charlotte... so we r guaranteed at least a 7 SPOT.

petescud

Starter
I'd be really excited if we make the playoffs. As with every year it all goes on how the other teams do and who has the least injuries. If we stay injury free we have as good a chance as a lot of other teams, but no lock

the key thing is... ask yourself.. who made thew playopffs last year that wont make it this year.?????.. cleveland, bobcats....

nobody..EXCEPT US

i think we are better than cleveland and charlotte... so we r guaranteed at least a 7 SPOT.

I think Charlotte could still make the playoffs. Cleveland? Not a chance.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Cleveland has no chance in hell of making the playoffs. Antawn Jamison as your best player? Seriously? That team isn't going anywhere.

LOCKS for the playoffs:

Heat
Magic
Bulls
Celtics

MOST LIKELY in the playoffs:

Bucks
Hawks

IN THE RACE:

Knicks
76ers (pending Evan Turner, though I doubt it)
Pacers (if healthy Danny Granger)
Wizards (pending John Wall + Gilbert for a full season, who knows?)

NO CHANCE IN HELL:
Cleveland (I feel sorry for these guys, I really do)
Toronto (didn't make the playoffs last year with Bosh, doubt they make it now)
Nets (haven't really added anyone other than Favors, and they've got a long ways to improve from 12 wins)
Pistons (amazing how far they've fallen - haven't added anyone new who's really all that spectacular)
Bobcats (no center, stronger East, no Felton)

Yeah, it's up for grabs in the East. Those last two spots are going to be tough - even some of the teams I claim have no chance in hell are probably going to make a run for it

New New York

Quiet Storm
Cleveland has no chance in hell of making the playoffs. Antawn Jamison as your best player? Seriously? That team isn't going anywhere.

LOCKS for the playoffs:

Heat
Magic
Bulls
Celtics

MOST LIKELY in the playoffs:

Bucks
Hawks

IN THE RACE:

Knicks
76ers (pending Evan Turner, though I doubt it)
Pacers (if healthy Danny Granger)
Wizards (pending John Wall + Gilbert for a full season, who knows?)

NO CHANCE IN HELL:
Cleveland (I feel sorry for these guys, I really do)
Toronto (didn't make the playoffs last year with Bosh, doubt they make it now)
Nets (haven't really added anyone other than Favors, and they've got a long ways to improve from 12 wins)
Pistons (amazing how far they've fallen - haven't added anyone new who's really all that spectacular)
Bobcats (no center, stronger East, no Felton)

Yeah, it's up for grabs in the East. Those last two spots are going to be tough - even some of the teams I claim have no chance in hell are probably going to make a run for it

I agree with 97% of your post

The 3% is Chicago being a lock for sure.....on paper you're right they are very solid and it would be a big suprise if they did not make the playoffs....but consider they have not just a new coach....but a rookie head coach! A few years ago The Sixers made the playoffs added Elton Brand and became in a lot of people's mind a team who could win the East, and while Brand's injuries is why they never met that goal, but the fact is the team didnt make the playoffs at all that year.

Again, I would be pretty suprised if the Bulls didnt make it, but it would not be the same shock if the Celtics,Heat or Orlando didnt make it.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Make the playoffs and it's mission accomplished and then we continue to build from there.

I'm not sleeping on the Raps this year as I don't think losing the overrated Bosh is as bad as people think.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ agreed. they lacked leadership last year. Frank didnt have the respect of the players. now they have Johnson and he's a players coach, they should be better i expect them to battle for the playoffs 8th seed. and within the next 2-3 years they will be our top competition in the atlantic.

Devin Harris
Anthony Morrow
Terrance Willams
Derrick Favors
Brooke Lopez

If those guys stay healthy, they may be the surprise team in the east.

Not a chance. Look, this is a team that finished dead-last in basketball as far as record. Yes, quietly they've had a decent off-season, but nothing special. All of a sudden that means they're the "surprise team in the east?" Not buying that for a second.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean...that's assuming Favors even starts.

Honestly I can't see the Nets winning more than 20 games. They haven't improved nearly enough pieces to let me think that they're capable of that.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Devin Harris
Anthony Morrow
Terrance Willams
Derrick Favors
Brooke Lopez

If those guys stay healthy, they may be the surprise team in the east.

I think it's going to be Lee instead of Morrow.
With that said, I'm sure this lineup might be able to win 35-40 games. ALl they need is a veteran PF to step in if Favors isn't ready to contribute yet.

I think it's going to be Lee instead of Morrow.
With that said, I'm sure this lineup might be able to win 35-40 games. ALl they need is a veteran PF to step in if Favors isn't ready to contribute yet.

35-40 games!? No freakin' way. That team is still a couple of years away from being in the discussion for the 8 seed in the East, IMO. And Favors isn't ready to contribute yet. Not at 18 years old.

petescud

Starter
Maybe, but what if Paul signs on by Aug/Sept 2010?

35-40 games!? No freakin' way. That team is still a couple of years away from being in the discussion for the 8 seed in the East, IMO. And Favors isn't ready to contribute yet. Not at 18 years old.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer

nobody..EXCEPT US

We have to earn the right to be in the playoffs. As far as Im concerened this team has to show up night in and night out in order for us to attain that 7th or 8th spot. Cleveland is still a threat with the solid pieces they have in place, and I would not count out the Raptors who have a lot of young talent and a number one pick who could break out this year with Bosh being gone.

We have a fight on our hands that is for sure, but it is really possible we might make the playoffs.