The Official Chris Paul to the Knicks Thread

Toons

is the Bo$$
I found a great article outlining the ins and outs of the Chris Paul trade situation. Paul is one of my favorites in the game, and i would love to see him in the Garden rocking a knicks jersey.

Why wait until 2012 when you have a shot at him now?

According to an NBA executive familiar with Knicks team president Donnie Walsh's thinking, the Knicks are willing to include in a trade anyone other than Amar'e Stoudemire for Chris Paul, knowing how badly the superstar point guard wants to come to New York.

The Knicks will soon find out if Paul is available.

On Monday, Paul is expected to meet with new Hornets GM Dell Demps, new coach Monty Williams and president Hugh Weber in the Big Easy, according to a Hornets official.

"Amar'e won't be traded, but everyone else is available," the executive said.

BROADWAY DREAMS: Superstar Chris Paul reportedly wants out of New Orleans, with the Knicks his preferred landing spot.
Three weeks ago, the Hornets president said New Orleans will not trade Paul this summer and the Knicks and Nets backed off. There is no assurance New Orleans will acquiesce to Paul's demands.

However, Paul has a new inner circle, firing Octagon's Jeff Austin and replacing him with LeBron James' people.

Paul's new agent is Leon Rose, who is expected at the meeting. Paul signed on to LRMR two weeks ago -- the LeBron marketing firm run by James manager Maverick Carter.

The Knicks hope Rose and Carter have more success getting Paul to New York than they did LeBron.

Indeed, Rose is putting on the heat and wants to start gauging interest from teams. Reports state Paul will request a trade at the meeting if he does not like what the Hornets have to say about their rebuilding plan.

Former Hornets GM Jeff Bower is believed to have had a strained relationship with Paul. Bower reportedly had a shouting match with Weber because he felt they should accept trade offers. Bower resigned 10 days ago.

Demps is a former Knicks scout whom Isiah Thomas promoted in 2004 to director of pro personnel, and he still has friends in the Knick organization.

The Knicks are on top of Paul's wish list, but the Hornets probably would be less inclined to send their star point guard onto the Broadway stage where he can become an even bigger icon.

James chimed in via Twitter, writing, "Best of luck to my brother. Do what's best for You and your family."

Orlando, Dallas and the Lakers also have been mentioned on Paul's wish list, but New Orleans can deal him anywhere.

A Big Easy source said the flak from the Hornets' season-ticket holders was immense when reports first surfaced last month the team could trade its franchise player this summer.

Paul is not a free agent until 2012, and The Post reported he toasted to a union between himself, Stoudemire and 2011 free agent Carmelo Anthony at Anthony's wedding in New York.

The Knicks have assets, but are hampered by not being able to deal new free-agent point guard Raymond Felton until Dec. 15.

Also, their three Golden State acquisitions can only be traded separately until Dec. 15 and can not be paired up in a trade. The biggest trade pawn of the Golden State trio is coveted Anthony Randolph.

With the Hornets in the midst of a sale, they

could have interest in the expiring contract of Eddy Curry to save money in a bigger package.

The Knicks consider Wilson Chandler expendable in a trade, but if Paul is the prize, their prized prospect Danilo Gallinari is on the table too, the source said.

Paul makes $15 million this season. The Knicks are $2.5M under the cap, so the trade does not have to be dollar-for-dollar.

Speculation is the Hornets would want teams to take on the lousy long-term pact of center Emaka Okafor, who has four years and $52M left. Okafor is a center the Knicks can use, but his addition negates their chances of offering Anthony the maximum.

A CBSSportsline.com report quoted a person close to Paul as saying, "He wants out. He wants to play with another superstar. He wants to follow LeBron's model of teaming up with other great players."

And ESPN.com quoted an insider as confirming the Paul toast and adding "Those [three] guys want to beat the three guys

in Miami."

Last month, Paul said, "My first choice is to be in New Orleans. I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded."

Great to start this thread cp3 is one of the few players that openly wants to come to new york so i feel he indeed WANTS to come but getting here is far more complicated then people think.

iJoe

Rotation player
The summary of my thoughts is....

Get Paul now if we don't have to take on bad contracts like Okafor and maybe Posey. Getting bad contracts = no Melo.

If we can't, then play out the season and make a run for Melo and Paul/DWill later. Who knows? Felton might turn into a beast as well. DWill is my favorite PG by far right now though. Guy has no weaknesses, unlike Paul.

shaolin

Benchwarmer

Get Paul now if we don't have to take on bad contracts like Okafor and maybe Posey. Getting bad contracts = no Melo.

If we can't, then play out the season and make a run for Melo and Paul/DWill later. Who knows? Felton might turn into a beast as well. DWill is my favorite PG by far right now though. Guy has no weaknesses, unlike Paul.

cosigns! This is some hiroshima type truth.

Suss

Rookie

If we are forced to take on Okafor's contract its not the end of the world. In that case, I would not be willing to give up Gallo or Randolph however. Amare would certainly benefit from playing alongside Okafor.

We could then build a team around Paul, Gallo, Randolph, Amare, and Okafor. We would still have Felton as someone who could backup Paul or possible play in the the backcourt with him. That team would be ready to win right now and will get better and better as Gallo and Randolph grow as players.

If we are forced to take on Okafor's contract its not the end of the world. In that case, I would not be willing to give up Gallo or Randolph however. Amare would certainly benefit from playing alongside Okafor.

We could then build a team around Paul, Gallo, Randolph, Amare, and Okafor. We would still have Felton as someone who could backup Paul or possible play in the the backcourt with him. That team would be ready to win right now and will get better and better as Gallo and Randolph grow as players.

exactly people keep looking at okes contract and not his skill,one of the top 10 centers in the league and top 3 defensively if you dont count timmy d as a center

shaolin

Benchwarmer

That scenario is NOT possible. I see Gallo's, Randolph's, and Felton's name. Who did we give to get Paul?

Suss

Rookie
That scenario is NOT possible. I see Gallo's, Randolph's, and Felton's name. Who did we give to get Paul?

One trade that works salary wise would be Paul and Okafor for Curry, Chandler, Douglas, Turiaf, and Azubuike. We would be giving them a ton of expiring contracts and allow them to start over completely.

The article said the 3 players we got from GS can only be traded individually until Dec 15. Meaning Azibuke and Turiaf can't be packaged this summer.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I actually read that that's NOT true somewhere because we're not over the cap.

Point being if we take on Okafor's contract we're not getting Carmelo. Walsh knows this, which is why a deal isn't done yet.

The article said the 3 players we got from GS can only be traded individually until Dec 15. Meaning Azibuke and Turiaf can't be packaged this summer.
Yeah that article's false. That only applies to teams over the cap, which the Knicks are not. They can be dealt in any deal that doesn't involve them going to Golden State.

Suss

Rookie
I actually read that that's NOT true somewhere because we're not over the cap.

Point being if we take on Okafor's contract we're not getting Carmelo. Walsh knows this, which is why a deal isn't done yet.

If we take on Okafor's contract we are doing NO a huge favor and therefore should not have to include Gallo or Randolph in the deal.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I know. But if we pick up Paul and Okafor, there's no way to get Carmelo. That's a fact - it'd kill our cap space (assuming we'd give up Eddy Curry's contract in that deal)

If we take on Okafor's contract we are doing NO a huge favor and therefore should not have to include Gallo or Randolph in the deal.

Taking Okafor's contract makes it a good offer.

Offering Gallo or AR also makes it a good offer.

NO is looking for the best offer, which may have to include both pieces of the equation.

dre48ny

Rotation player
WE have an opportunity to get a top 5 player in my opinion and a player that makes others better, like Nash. This will not come cheap, but it must be done.