Melo has strong desire to play in NY

Aug 10, 2010 9:38 PM EST
Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
Those vying to fill the Knicks' general manager position are selling their ability to bring Carmelo Anthony to New York next summer.
But according to a story from Ken Berger of CBS Sports, convincing Anthony to come to New York may not be altogether necessary.
"Carmelo already wants to play in New York," one person with knowledge of his plans told Berger. "He doesn't need anybody to bring him there. He's a gunslinger. That situation is perfect for him."
"Carmelo Anthony's desire to play in New York is so strong, sources say, that those close to the three-time All-Star have scoffed at the efforts of executives touting themselves as being able to deliver him," writes Berger.
Chauncey Billups said Tuesday that he doesn't know which way his All-Star teammate is leaning.
"If I was a betting man? I don’t know," Billups said. "Of course, I'm biased because I'm playing on the team that he’s playing on. But I'm optimistic that he’s going to come back and play for the Nuggets. I know he loves the city. Shoot, he’s been there since he was 20 years old. So I'm optimistic, but I don’t know. I wish I did, but I don’t."
Via CBS Sports <script type="text/javascript"> tweetmeme_source = 'realgmcom'; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://tweetmeme.com/i/scripts/button.js"></script><iframe src="http://api.tweetmeme.com/button.js?url=http%3A//www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68632/20100810/source_melo_has_strong_desire_to_play_in_new_york/&style=normal&source=realgmcom" frameborder="0" height="61" scrolling="no" width="50"></iframe>
New York Knicks, Denver Nuggets
Shit.. I say we just sit back, relax and let Melo walk right into our hands..No trades needed.

Paul1355

All Star
Shit.. I say we just sit back, relax and let Melo walk right into our hands..No trades needed.
very happy to hear this news....if Melo really wants to be here then Donnie will make it happen.

Once Chris Paul sees Melo and Amare here, he is going to think twice about staying in New Orleans.

And even if paul never comes here.

Felton
Anthony
Gallo
Amare
Randolph

would dominate.

elcol

Rotation player
very happy to hear this news....if Melo really wants to be here then Donnie will make it happen.

Once Chris Paul sees Melo and Amare here, he is going to think twice about staying in New Orleans.

And even if paul never comes here.

Felton
Anthony
Gallo
Amare
Randolph

would dominate.

Amen.
:gony:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Donnie would make it happen. Isiah might make it happen. Even Allan Houston might make it happen. Point is, Donnie is as likely, if not more likely, to do it than anyone.

mafra

Legend
I still feel like Melo is 50/50. I also believe if Melo really wants to come to NY, and he wants to win here in NY, then he knows what he needs to do:

PLAY OUT THIS SEASON AND SIGN AS A FREE AGENT.

NY really needs Melo; but it also needs to build a team around Anthony. STAT, RANDOLPH and GALLO are exactly what Melo needs.

Melo and friends wins. Toss in Felton, and away we go.

Chandler is the only asset I would be willing to deal if I were inclined to make a run at Melo this season. We could give DEN Wilson Chandler, Bill Walker and maybe even a Tony Douglas. I doubt I would even want to give DOuglas!

Anyway, for the best interest of all parties involved, Melo to NY happens on NY's terms (in a trade with DEN this season). That means keeping both Randolph & Gallo. Or it happens next July 1st!

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh boy! here we go again, the threads/posts are starting already with
another regular season of threads/post with
"I cant wait till we get (Lebron X-out) Melo/CP3 next season".
:boohoo:
GIVE the SHUUUUT a break!
work with what we have to build chemistry/gellin for a .500 season of teammates.
What if SF-Gallo/SF-Chandler/PG-Felton/PG-Douglas all get to "GELLIN"
together to have a dynamic breakout playoff season.......
would u still want Melo/CP3?
The objective to building is to look for missing pieces "after the season"...

Knicks having max money for the 2011 offseason ...... Melo refusing extension ......
means what?
the Knicks is a pawn in Melo seeking a 6 yr max contract from Denver (Joe Johnson).
That's my :2cents::2cents:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
work with what we have to build chemistry/gellin for a .500 season of teammates.

Knicks having max money for the 2011 offseason ...... Melo refusing extension ......
means what?
the Knicks is a pawn in Melo seeking a 6 yr max contract from Denver (Joe Johnson).

Your two cents aren't even worth that...

You act as if Melo isn't going to get MAX offers from multiple teams including Denver. Melo is not a marginal overpaid and hyped player like Joe Johnson who needs to inflate his value to get a pay day.

Further, we are going into the season with the team we have barring a big trade so what is your point? It's not like we are going to shed talent to clear room for Melo so we either get him or we don't. This is just another example of you jumping at the chance to whine, complain and play devil's advocate for no real reason.

jimkcchief88

All Star

means what?

Aw cmon Kia.... Everybody has got to have a dream. Can you imagine Melo in a Knicks uniform.... Our first LEGITAMATE superstar in over a decade??? I haven't bought a Knicks jersey in 10 years, so my Spree jersey is worn out... I can just see my new Knicks jersey with just "MELO" on the back, probably in Classic white, or the beloved orange and blue wouldn't matter.... My 70's Cool Clyde New York Puma classics .... old school Knickerbocker wristbands...Proper...Representing

Paul1355

All Star
I still feel like Melo is 50/50. I also believe if Melo really wants to come to NY, and he wants to win here in NY, then he knows what he needs to do:

PLAY OUT THIS SEASON AND SIGN AS A FREE AGENT.

NY really needs Melo; but it also needs to build a team around Anthony. STAT, RANDOLPH and GALLO are exactly what Melo needs.

Melo and friends wins. Toss in Felton, and away we go.

Chandler is the only asset I would be willing to deal if I were inclined to make a run at Melo this season. We could give DEN Wilson Chandler, Bill Walker and maybe even a Tony Douglas. I doubt I would even want to give DOuglas!

Anyway, for the best interest of all parties involved, Melo to NY happens on NY's terms (in a trade with DEN this season). That means keeping both Randolph & Gallo. Or it happens next July 1st!
Expect us to part ways with Gallinari if Denver wants to make a trade and a good team is in play for Melo.

I know Donnie and us Knick fans would rather keep our players and then add Melo, replacing him with Eddy Curry's bloated contract. BUT Denver won't just let him go.

From the looks of it, we would have to give up certain players for salary and to even the talent/upside level.

Anthony Randolph is a steal and everybody knows it. He is the perfect big man off the bench or can be a starter in the future. Since Melo is a small forward, giving up either Gallo or Randolph would lean towards giving up Gallo since you don't want guys playing out of position.

Curry+Gallinari+Azabuke+Turiaf might be something the Nuggets would accept for Melo.

Curry gives you cap flexibilbity, Azabuke can start as a 2 guard or be a sixthman behind JR Smith, Turiaf is good because he has a player/team option next season and Nene is injury prone every year..and most of all Gallinari can be a 20 ppg player who turns 22 this year...that seems like the best deal without giving up too much.

Possible lineup:
Felton
Mason Jr./Walker
Melo
Amare
Randolph

realistically if we made a trade, we'd have to give up Gallo.

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer

means what?

agree with u on this one.... lets see what this group can do.... heck if they can play well it will increase the likelihood of getting quality players like Melo and erase years of being the but of jokes with other NBA players.....

KBlack25

Starter

Weren't you the same guy crying about how Donnie Walsh has left this team talent-less with wasted draft picks and wasted free agent moves hating everything the Knicks have done in the last decade? Weren't you the one saying that Gallinari is not and never will be an NBA-level player? Weren't you the one saying this team, with the pieces on it, is worse than the Crawford/ZBo teams that Isiah put together?

At least if you are going to have an argument, stick to it.

Can't count the chickens before they hatch. The season hasn't started yet and Walsh's mix might go down too.

And we all know Zeke will still be an influence. He has brought NY some great talent (young and old) due to his starpower. Just as long as he's not handling the books I'm ok with him being in the organization. Just use his charisma and legacy to continue recuiting and persuading the elite players to come to NY...and let others deal with the contract issues. Even he admits that recuiting is his strong point...I can't argue with that. Dolan is a smart business man for keeping this guy close by, Zeke's charm and eye for talent has been well proven.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend

means what?

Well said.

F*ck Carmelo, we don't need this GUY.

Let Gallo develop, he's going to be a great player.