Randolph is not a Center!!

shaolin

Benchwarmer
He will probably play some minutes at the 5, but he should not start at the 5. He is not a center. That's it!

KBlack25

Starter
He will probably play some minutes at the 5, but he should not start at the 5. He is not a center. That's it!

thanks-for-the-info.jpg

shaolin

Benchwarmer
LOL! Nice touch with the pic. Many people think he is and have him as a center in their projected starting rotation. Nice try! I give you an A for effort though.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I still don't think Randolph should start at the 5. He can play spotty minutes there. Camby can play center, but Camby's game is very different from Randolph's. I see Randolph more comfortable at the 3/4, whereas Camby is more of a natural 5.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I disagree. I see him as a more atheltic and better ball handling version of Camby. They are virtually the same size. In fact, he is bigger now than Camby was when he played for the Knicks.

He is essentially a shot-blocker and rebounder, as is Camby. He is not a shooter, so he does not "spread the floor" as you suggest.

Those that think he should play SF are crazy. He can occasionally play the 3 or guard Sf's in a rotation. I can see him being a PF because of his size (or lack of), same as Camby. But if he continues to bulk up the way he has, he can definitely play Center.

While I dont beleive Randolph is a Center I do think he can and will play the 5 only because of the system and Stat already at the 4. In a run and gun push the tempo offense.. the last thing you want is a big body clogging the hole and lagging in transition.. ala shaq in Phoenix. a negligable amount of height and size can be countered by quicknes, tempo and ball movement. If we were running a more half court set or a triangle for example then yes i wouldnt see randolph in the 5 spot in any way..

KBlack25

Starter
I disagree. I see him as a more atheltic and better ball handling version of Camby. They are virtually the same size. In fact, he is bigger now than Camby was when he played for the Knicks.

He is essentially a shot-blocker and rebounder, as is Camby. He is not a shooter, so he does not "spread the floor" as you suggest.

Those that think he should play SF are crazy. He can occasionally play the 3 or guard Sf's in a rotation. I can see him being a PF because of his size (or lack of), same as Camby. But if he continues to bulk up the way he has, he can definitely play Center.

He stretches the floor because teams, when they are on offense, have to worry about this guy getting down court faster than everyone else on a fast break, and they have to worry about him flying in for an offensive rebound even if he is hanging out at the 3 point or foul line. Camby's offensive game is much more stagnant.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Randolph's shot is decent for now. It will improve immensely if he gets to play consistently. Oakley developed a deadly midrange, and so can this kid. He has a good touch on his jumper. Additionally, he has skills which enables him to play along the perimeter and Camby doesn't.

New New York

Quiet Storm
6'11 averaged over 6 rebs and 1.6 blks per game spells Center to me!

No one ever thought that Jared Jefferies would play Center and that was the only thing that made him look somewhat like an NBA player!

Camby comparisons are valid yet may be a bit premature...but think of him as a Rich Man's Jared Jefferies at the Center position!

He represents the best Center that we have had since Mutombo.

Center may not be his natural position, but Mike D will convert him into one and he should do really well

6'11 averaged over 6 rebs and 1.6 blks per game spells Center to me!

No one ever thought that Jared Jefferies would play Center and that was the only thing that made him look somewhat like an NBA player!

Camby comparisons are valid yet may be a bit premature...but think of him as a Rich Man's Jared Jefferies at the Center position!

He represents the best Center that we have had since Mutombo.

Center may not be his natural position, but Mike D will convert him into one and he should do really well

Man It was Awesome when we had Mutumbo for that season....

If Randolph really did grow to 7ft like the rumors are saying and he gained 20 pounds, That sounds like a center to me.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Man It was Awesome when we had Mutumbo for that season....

If Randolph really did grow to 7ft like the rumors are saying and he gained 20 pounds, That sounds like a center to me.

WHOA!!!!!! If that is true....that is great news for us

Even if he just gained 15 or so that would help us out greatly

Oldtimer

Rotation player
A. Randolh's Size

Shortly after we acquired AR, someone posted an article suggesting by some photo imaging analysis that AR was just under 7' tall. The attached article measured him by counting the pixels in the basketball that AR was holding and then counting the pixels in the imaged length of AR's body. Because the diameter of the basketbal was known, the author was able to calculate AR's height by comparing pixel numbers. The author concluded that AR was 83.11 inches tall or a little over 6'11".

AR was wearing sneakers in the photo and there is no indication that the author made allowance for that. On the other hand, the picture was taken in September of last year. AR, who just turned 21, may well have grown some more in the last 11 months.

As for his weight, it was my understanining that at the time we acquired him he was up to 230 pounds.

I think he can play some center at least when the very big 5s such as Dwight Howard are not on the floor. To the extent Gallo is still around, a front court of Amar'e, Randolph and Gallinari could be interesting.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He stretches the floor because teams, when they are on offense, have to worry about this guy getting down court faster than everyone else on a fast break, and they have to worry about him flying in for an offensive rebound even if he is hanging out at the 3 point or foul line. Camby's offensive game is much more stagnant.

Ok. I see your point, I think. It makes teams have to get back in transition quicker, but I don't see how it stretches he floor. Maybe I have a different idea of what stretching the floor means.

And I still don't see how running the floor well predicates him a 3 or 4. Or that his offensive game is less stagnant than Camby's so therefore he is not a Center. Especially in D'Antoni's system.

I would think the fact that he excels at rebounding, blocking shots, and is 6'11 235lbs would make him more of a center. Running the floor well and having good ball handling skills for his size are just a bonus.

The only thing I would worry about with Randolph as a Center is playing man-to-man defense against the big Centers in the league. But again, so does Camby.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think AR can be a Marcus Camby type of player at the 5.

Is he ready to be that guy this season?? Idk.. My gut tells me no, but we will see.

He definitely needs to be coached up w regards to post D and on offense in general. He has the tools to be a 10+ rebounder and an awesome shot blocker. I just hope he does the work he needs to do to get better in his deficit areas.

If he does we will be in good shape as a team. :thumbsup:

yeah right now i think Randoph needs to bulk up a bit more to play couple of minutes at center. I think they are going to develop and progress Randoph to play some key minutes at center with Turiaf maybe teaching him the role and position but right now i think Randoplh will play key minutes exclusively played at power forward as i dont think he ready at handling duties at center yet.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Randolph is as much of a center as Tyrus Thomas... its possible... but not something u do for an entire season... guys like Bogut, Lopez and Howard would be drooling at the mouth... In this system it will happen plenty but it all depends on who ur playing that night and who's in the game...

Vs. Nets

Lopez is in = Hell no
Boone = Abuse him

Last edited: