Burning Questions Knicks/Melo

Blumatic

Rotation player
I just have questions and I would like some insight. Columnist continuously say that we have no assets to trade for Melo. Melo would want the Nets or Rockets or Clippers? Magic make sense but not sure if it will happen with them. Now we all know you will never get equal value in trading a star player. Just answer me these questions guys:

1) Writers think we would be foolish to give Melo money or max money. They always say the Knicks "will throw money" at him, like that's a bad thing. Is that true?

2) Are our assets that bad with Gallo, Chandler, possibly Randolph (no draft till 2014 hurts but with Curry expire deal we can get a 1st rd pick from someone?

3) Now I can understand that the Nuggets may like assets from other teams but would Carmelo sign and extension to a team that just gave up their best prospects and players, leaving Melo in a worse if not same situation in Denver?

4) With Donnie in charge why do writers still look at the Knicks as a mess when we cleaned house and landed a star player with every player in the league intrigued to come play here? (LBJ went Miami, that was planned since 2006 when Wade, Bosh, and LJ all sign 3 year extensions starting in 2007).

5) Why does the media hate the Knicks?

I don't think they are being bias. Most NYK fans speak with optimism. I know we don't really have the powerful players some NY fans think we have, and the news and others around the league knows this too. This is why Dolon is keeping Zeke near. It seems everyone other than a few Knick fans don't think we are as good as we want/should be. I'm hoping we will be there before the season opener.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
For #1 they are retarded, would we try to resign him to a max contract, absolutely, but would every other team hoping to land him do the same, you bet. The "max" we could resign him for will likely be less money than he'd get if he signed Denver's lucrative extension with the new CBA coming up. I agree with you that we have the assets but truth is I wouldn't want to give them up. If another team wants to gut themselves in a trade for Carmelo let them and hope he resigns. I don't want Felton, Carmelo, Amare and a bunch of crap, so if we can't get the better of a trade deal with Denver which may not happen, screw it, very possible other teams withdraw trade offers if they sit down with Melo and he says he isn't guarunteed to extend with them, he could walk and sign with us anyhow. Idk, you're right though most of the media loves to dog us. Teams with draft picks and young players might have more overall trade assets sure but we're not a garbage roster, we have plenty to make a trade happen and I wouldn't even want to give the best package we could offer. Curry, Chandler, maybe Douglas and a couple second round picks or tell em to go F themselves lol.

Blumatic

Rotation player
For #1 they are retarded, would we try to resign him to a max contract, absolutely, but would every other team hoping to land him do the same, you bet. The "max" we could resign him for will likely be less money than he'd get if he signed Denver's lucrative extension with the new CBA coming up. I agree with you that we have the assets but truth is I wouldn't want to give them up. If another team wants to gut themselves in a trade for Carmelo let them and hope he resigns. I don't want Felton, Carmelo, Amare and a bunch of crap, so if we can't get the better of a trade deal with Denver which may not happen, screw it, very possible other teams withdraw trade offers if they sit down with Melo and he says he isn't guarunteed to extend with them, he could walk and sign with us anyhow. Idk, you're right though most of the media loves to dog us. Teams with draft picks and young players might have more overall trade assets sure but we're not a garbage roster, we have plenty to make a trade happen and I wouldn't even want to give the best package we could offer. Curry, Chandler, maybe Douglas and a couple second round picks or tell em to go F themselves lol.

Thank you. A reasonable person.

Paul1355

All Star
I just have questions and I would like some insight. Columnist continuously say that we have no assets to trade for Melo. Melo would want the Nets or Rockets or Clippers? Magic make sense but not sure if it will happen with them. Now we all know you will never get equal value in trading a star player. Just answer me these questions guys:

1) Writers think we would be foolish to give Melo money or max money. They always say the Knicks "will throw money" at him, like that's a bad thing. Is that true?

2) Are our assets that bad with Gallo, Chandler, possibly Randolph (no draft till 2014 hurts but with Curry expire deal we can get a 1st rd pick from someone?

3) Now I can understand that the Nuggets may like assets from other teams but would Carmelo sign and extension to a team that just gave up their best prospects and players, leaving Melo in a worse if not same situation in Denver?

4) With Donnie in charge why do writers still look at the Knicks as a mess when we cleaned house and landed a star player with every player in the league intrigued to come play here? (LBJ went Miami, that was planned since 2006 when Wade, Bosh, and LJ all sign 3 year extensions starting in 2007).

Ill answer by number

1) It is never a bad thing to throw money at a sure super star in Melo. This is why I am not some knick fan getting all upset about Amare. They will win games single handedly and with Melo and Amare, we are bound for greatness. After Joe Johnson's deal, Melo DEF deserves max money.

2)If anything is being scrutinized by writers it is our young talent. Gallo is a starter on any team and will grow into a solid player that can be a multiple all star, same with Anthony Randolph. Chandler has asmuch upside but might not be as good down the road. We have very good assets now that we have a full 15 man team with all guys that can play bball well. I think teams really like Gallo and Randolph, Chandler idk about yet. The drug case and him being injured two off seasons is a downside for a trade.

3)THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WHY MELO WILL BE A KNICK. Melo can simply say to Denver, "Guys, I don't want to be with any team except the Knicks so I will not sign a contract extension with any other team, making it pointless to trade me anywere else. You either screw a team in a trade, get nothing for me, or you make a good trade with the Knicks." That is enough leverage to make him a Knick sooner than later.

4)We are still labeled a mess because ESPN and other news outlets still see our record the past decade and they laugh, uncontrollably. We were down right horrible and embarissing on a BIG stage in NY, doesn't get worse than that PR wise. We also have one of the worst owners in history in James Dolan and the whole Isiah coming back thing made us even more embarissing and killed some of our positive spotlight this year. People want results and once we do good, we will be looked at in a better light. Hallelujah!

5) The media hates the Knicks because everone sees NY as the perfect team to hate. The Yankees have it the worse. ESPN would never show Yankee highlights until they won the World Series. The Yankees were never mentioned on player analysis during MLB Tonight. Once they won a ring, the Yanks were the first team to be viewed in the highlight reel. The Knicks are hated and laughed at, at the same time. They see the Knicks as a joke and will disregard any notion of a good upcoming season since it's so un heard of.

We need to perform at a high level and having a winning season, then we will get praise.

quiggle

Starter
if your son Bruce got into a fight with Max, and one day Max's parents needed help would you lend a hand? after the brawl, why in the world would Denver even deal with the Knicks?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Over-Valuing Curry's Expiring Contract

When we look at our "assets" in a potential trade for Carmelo, I believe we tend to over-value Curry's expiring contract.

An expiring contract is only valuable in certain circumstances -- as a trade chip with a team desiring to eliminate a long term contract with one of its players. For example, Detroit acquired AI's expiring contract from Denver, apparently to avoid paying Billups for three more years. It turned out to be a great trade for Denver, but they have continuing obligations to Billups and Detroit cleared up some space. Another example -- assume we valued Okafor. He has several years on his lucrative contract. Charlotte would probably love to take Curry in order to wipe Okafor's long term contract off its books. But I for one do not want Okafor's contract and do not value him too highly, given that contract.

The Nets, on the other hand, have an expiring contract with Troy Murphy in roughly the same amount as Curry's expiring contract. Murphy has more current value as a player than Curry. And the Nets have multiple draft picks going forward. Murphy adds value to their other assets. If Curry shows up in good shape and performs reasonably well at the start of the season, we might be in a better position.

Denver is not trying to dump Carmelo's contract. Indeed, their principal problem is not having a long term contract with Carmelo. At least currently, Curry is totally useless to them. As a result, in order to make a deal with the Knicks they would want virtually every promising player and this would include at least both Gallinari and Randolph. I do not think Walsh will gut the team for Carmelo, who is not likely to be the perfect complement for Amar'e and whatever is left of the team.

Carmelo, if he wants to come to the Knicks, can play hard ball but this would require him to take more chances with the looming new CBA than I believe he is likely willing to take.

In short, I do believe the value of our performing "assets" -- Gallinari, Randolph et al, -- is diminished by the necessity of including Curry and his contract in any trade. I am also cognizant that we are valuing our playing aassets primarily on the basis of their "potential" and that perhaps as fans we are being too optimistic.

Lets be patient. Carmelo is special, but lets not sell the farm and be left with only two horses -- Carmelo and Amar'e, studs though they be.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I think the first set of questions were answered by now (excellent read, Oldtimer), but the last one?

Because the east coast needs an "L.A." to hate. I have no idea why they don't pick on Bean Town, who paid just as much as we did last year, or Orlando, owned by Richard DeVos (co-founder of Amway/Alticor).