Nuggets Want To Deal Carmelo To Nets, Kings Or Wolves

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I hope Melo says "**** what you guys want, lets talk about what I want." Why give into their demands when they're the ones who gave him the "player option" clause?

Come on now.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Nets: Would likely have to give up Lopez and Favors, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Kings: Would likely have to give up Casspi and Evans, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Wolves: LOL.

That is all.

Paul1355

All Star
I hope Melo says "**** what you guys want, lets talk about what I want." Why give into their demands when they're the ones who gave him the "player option" clause?

Come on now.
There is a no trade clause? I never heard that.

He just has leverage because of his contract. He can say that he won't sign an extenstion with this team or that team so he can choose what team Denver trades for him.

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
Nets: Would likely have to give up Lopez and Favors, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Kings: Would likely have to give up Casspi and Evans, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Wolves: LOL.

That is all.

exactly ..... melo has all the leverage in this situation.....Denver can say anything they want about where they want to sent melo... if he doesnt like it he wont sign that 3 year contract waiting for him and become a free agent...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
No team is going to trade for Melo unless Melo agrees to the extension. Period. In essence, Melo can go to whatever team he wants.

portega1968

El Cacique
this will probably go down as a multitteam trade, with The Knicks getting Melo, unless the Rockets go for Favors and a ton of draft picks from Jersey with no Lopez or Harris going back. I think Melo would sign with Jersey if Brook is not involved in the deal.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i understand the Nets they have a lot of young pieces and a shitload of first round draft picks. so they dont necessarily have to give up Lopez to make the deal work. but as far as the Wolves and kings go i seriously lol'ed. i think in the end melo will either end up with the nets or with us. if its with us excellent and if its with the Nets great, cause i think Gallo will become an all-star and Randolph will be an allstar as well we just gotta give them time to develop. but for the record i want Melo on our team

nuckles2k2

Superstar
There is a no trade clause? I never heard that.

He just has leverage because of his contract. He can say that he won't sign an extenstion with this team or that team so he can choose what team Denver trades for him.

Which would be him saying "Lets talk about what I want and not what you want." The extension acts like a NTC because he can pretty much veto any trade unless a team takes a chance and trades for him with no guaranteed of a long term deal.

I never said he had a NTC, I said the Nuggets are the ones who gave him the clause where he can walk as a FA next year, which is really the cause of the whole situation. They know Melo is going to opt out, they offered the extension anyway, and now he's hanging them with the extension and probably going to force them into a trade that they're not sold on.

knicksin60

Starter
If first round picks mean everything to teams like the Nuggets, why can't the Knicks just trade Gallo and Randolph for two first rounders and then trade the picks to Denver for Anthony?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Why are we going nuts over Melo? Gallo + Randolph > Melo.

Melo is a great scorer. But Gallo is a better defender. Randolph has the potential to be one of the best big men in the league. Melo, for the most part, has choked in the playoffs, except for that one year where they made it to the conference finals, but I would attribute that more to Billups than Melo.

Adding Melo to this roster would be great but giving up Gallo + Randolph + multiple picks + ??? is too much.

Lets move on. The best thing is to wait. If he goes to NJ, then so be it. I would much rather keep our young pieces, draft picks and cap flexibility. Adding a very good SG would make this team better than gutting the team for Melo.

And another thing. Denver doesn't have to do anything. If Melo is really stressed out about the new CBA and wants his money, then Denver has the upper hand.

Denver has much more power in this than all of you seem to think. Melo can't just demand where he wants to go. If he does, Denver can refuse. If Melo refuses a trade offer then Denver can threaten to not trade him and Melo stands to lose a lot of money. There is no way he gets $65 mil next year with the new CBA.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Except, once again, if Melo wants to come here (not saying he absolutely does, but IF he does) then he refuses to sign the extension for any other team except us, and then Denver has to either take what we give them or lose him as a FA next summer. It is literally that simple.

If we get Melo at all it will be because he's forcing the trade here. At which point the ball is in our court and Denver has ZERO leverage. It's not a situation where they can negotiate anything if Melo is saying "trade me to the Knicks or watch me walk, your choice." Why in the world would Donnie Walsh say "alright guys....we all know you have no say in where Melo goes and he's forcing your hand to trade him here...we also know you're desperate to receive some sort of compensation for the best player on your team and you don't want to watch him walk and receive nothing next summer....let's negotiate?"

I think a bunch of people on the internet are trying to piece together a trade of equal value for Melo, which won't be the case if he's traded here. A trade to the Knicks would be 100% Carmelo's doing and him strong arming Denver into making the move, otherwise he's leaving for nothing.

We can't compete with the pieces on the Nets, Kings, or Clippers, and still put a good team on the court this year, nor should we try to compete with them. If they decimate their team for one guy, fine. But if Melo forces his way to the Knicks, take advantage of the situation and don't be the dummy that pays full price for an item that's discounted. Once again, if Melo says "Knicks or I walk next year" and we say "Curry, Chandler, 2014 pick, plus whoever not named Amar'e, Felton, Gallo, Randolph, or Turiaf" and Denver turns it down....well they'll watch Melo walk. If they don't want to watch him walk, the deal goes through.

That's the only way we're getting him. Donnie's not going to blow the team up for one guy.

Plus there's also a misconception that the overall amount of money on contracts is coming down in the new CBA. That's probably not true, there's no way the NBAPA is going to sit back and watch the owners start paying players for pennies on the dollar in comparison to what they make now. It's probably going to be the length of the contracts that's hit the hardest. Money might come down a little but not to the extent people seem to think.

And Denver's owner coming out and saying that they don't want to get burned like the Cavs did with LBJ tells you exactly who the power players are. They're not going to hold onto Melo and watch him walk and sign a fresh contract with someone else. And if they try to move him but his new suitor wants to know that they're not renting him...they need him so sign the extension for the trade to go through...if Melo refuses, no trade. The majority of the power is in his possession. Unless someone decides to make the trade and try to convince him on an extension afterwards.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Except, once again, if Melo wants to come here (not saying he absolutely does, but IF he does) then he refuses to sign the extension for any other team except us, and then Denver has to either take what we give them or lose him as a FA next summer. It is literally that simple.

Again, that all depends on how desperate Melo is to get paid. Melo has the threat of Denver losing him for nothing, but Denver has the threat of Melo losing out on a lot of money (possibly getting zero money and a lockout where he makes nothing).

So there will likely have to be a compromise. Unless Melo is not worried at all about losing $65 mil. And it seems like he is, or else he wouldn't be demanding a trade now so he can sign an extension. By leaking that, he has lost a lot of leverage in negotiating his choice of where to go.

Like I said, Denver has much more power in this scenario than you all think. It's a two-way street. Denver is not just going to bend over backwards to give Melo what he wants. I'm sure management is extremely pissed at Melo right now. They can play hard ball too. Denver knows they're losing Melo. But they can also make Melo look like the bad guy and not lose credibility with their fan base.

Sorry to be a downer but there is no way Denver accepts Curry, Chandler + 2014 pick. Although it may be better than nothing, it's not much better than nothing, and in the process Denver loses a lot of credibility by aquiessing to the demands of Melo. They would rather let Melo walk and make him look like the villian.

We need to stop looking at this through the eyes of a Knick fan and look at this logically. It will cost us a lot to get Melo no matter how much he demands where he wants to go. And it's not worth it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Again, that all depends on how desperate Melo is to get paid. Melo has the threat of Denver losing him for nothing, but Denver has the threat of Melo losing out on a lot of money (possibly getting zero money and a lockout where he makes nothing).

So there will likely have to be a compromise. Unless Melo is not worried at all about losing $65 mil. And it seems like he is, or else he wouldn't be demanding a trade now so he can sign an extension. By leaking that, he has lost a lot of leverage in negotiating his choice of where to go.

Like I said, Denver has much more power in this scenario than you all think. It's a two-way street. Denver is not just going to bend over backwards to give Melo what he wants. I'm sure management is extremely pissed at Melo right now. They can play hard ball too. Denver knows they're losing Melo. But they can also make Melo look like the bad guy and not lose credibility with their fan base.

Sorry to be a downer but there is no way Denver accepts Curry, Chandler + 2014 pick. Although it may be better than nothing, it's not much better than nothing, and in the process Denver loses a lot of credibility by aquiessing to the demands of Melo. They would rather let Melo walk and make him look like the villian.

We need to stop looking at this through the eyes of a Knick fan and look at this logically. It will cost us a lot to get Melo no matter how much he demands where he wants to go. And it's not worth it.

I'm only going by what's being said in Denver:

While deciding where he wants to spend the rest of his basketball life, Carmelo Anthony will do what's right by his family.
But believe this: Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke will do what is best for his hefty investment in an NBA franchise, even if that means trading Melo.
There is no way Denver can afford to lose the face of its franchise for nothing as a free agent.
The Nuggets are now considering a strategy to part ways with their 26-year-old star forward, according to a league source.
After quietly gauging trade interest in Anthony for weeks, the team's consternation has only risen as he has made no move to accept a $65 million offer for a three-year contract extension that was formally presented more than a month ago.
The Nuggets don't want to get LeBron'd.

Read more: Kiszla: Nuggets don't want to get LeBron'd by Carmelo Anthony - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15800179#ixzz0y1smxPht

If Melo forces his way to the Knicks then he'll be here. Whether you agree with it or not, Denver is not going to let that man play in front of those fans at the Pepsi Center and then walk away next summer. They almost have to move him, and if his name, date, and initials on an extension are the deciding factor, he has most of the power.

It's almost like saying that a player with a NTC doesn't have any power when it comes to where he plays next. Yea the team can negotiate trades, but whoever has the power to single handedly veto a trade is sitting on most of the power. Melo can veto any trade by not signing the extension, UNLESS someone is bold enough to trade for him without that extension. Simple.

Melo is probably already a bad guy in Denver right now because of this whole mess. If all of this is truly driven by family (and while it might not be the main factor, I think it is a major player) and he's using the recent LBJ bomb that dropped on Cleveland to finagle his way out of Denver...he's not exactly gonna be unanimously cheered there even if he remains a Nugget for one more season.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm only going by what's being said in Denver:

If Melo forces his way to the Knicks then he'll be here. Whether you agree with it or not, Denver is not going to let that man play in front of those fans at the Pepsi Center and then walk away next summer. They almost have to move him, and if his name, date, and initials on an extension are the deciding factor, he has most of the power.

It's almost like saying that a player with a NTC doesn't have any power when it comes to where he plays next. Yea the team can negotiate trades, but whoever has the power to single handedly veto a trade is sitting on most of the power. Melo can veto any trade by not signing the extension, UNLESS someone is bold enough to trade for him without that extension. Simple.

Melo is probably already a bad guy in Denver right now because of this whole mess. If all of this is truly driven by family (and while it might not be the main factor, I think it is a major player) and he's using the recent LBJ bomb that dropped on Cleveland to finagle his way out of Denver...he's not exactly gonna be unanimously cheered there even if he remains a Nugget for one more season.

Noone seems to take into account the new CBA looming and the possibility of Melo loosing $65 mil. That is a major factor which you seem to want to ignore. It's not as simple as you make it out to be and I don't know why everyone thinks Denver MUST do whatever Melo demands.

The longer this drags on, the more willing Melo will be to accept a team like the Nets, who can offer a lot more than the Knicks.

Denver has a lot of power and I could care less whether you want to admit it or not. Keep living in the fantasy world that Curry, Chandler and a 2014 pick will get us Melo, if you want. I know, and everybody living in the world outside of Knick fans knows it will take us at least Gallo + Randolph + 2014 pick. Which to me, is not worth it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Noone seems to take into account the new CBA looming and the possibility of Melo loosing $65 mil. That is a major factor which you seem to want to ignore. It's not as simple as you make it out to be and I don't know why everyone thinks Denver MUST do whatever Melo demands.

The longer this drags on, the more willing Melo will be to accept a team like the Nets, who can offer a lot more than the Knicks.

Denver has a lot of power and I could care less whether you want to admit it or not. Keep living in the fantasy world that Curry, Chandler and a 2014 pick will get us Melo, if you want. I know, and everybody living in the world outside of Knick fans knows it will take us at least Gallo + Randolph + 2014 pick. Which to me, is not worth it.

Melo wouldn't be losing $65mil, it would just be that amount stretched over more years, lol. The Players' Association isn't going to let owners pay players for pennies on the dollar, they might just change the amount of years on the deal to make it more feasible for both sides, while also easing some of the tensions associated with the FA and losing players for owners....that's not my opinion...that's what unions do....you know....collectively represent all of the employees when it comes to negotiating deals with the employers.

And it's also not my opinion that teams will want Melo to sign the extension before they trade for him, no one is going to want to trade players and picks and then possibly end up with nothing in one year. So if Melo refuses to sign the extension for a trade to certain teams...he's effectively vetoing the trade.
Unless, like I said, someone is willing to swing a deal without any certainty that he'll be there for the long haul (like what the Redskins did with McNabb, they wanted him to sign an extension before the trade, but they pulled the trigger anyway...he can still walk at the end of the year unless he signs an extension.) None of that is my opinion as a Knick fan.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "as long as 'this' drags on" because as far as I know there have been no official offers for Melo, so right now there is no reason for him to get ancy and jump to one team over another (especially if he already has his mind made up and he's waiting for things to get rolling.)

It's simple, very simple. If a trade happening is contingent on Melo signing the extension for the new team before they trade anything to Denver...then he has a lot of the power. To argue otherwise literally doesn't make any sense. Unless you know of some clause where Denver can put a gun to his head and make him sign the extension for the team that has the best pieces that they'd like to acquire in a trade; because as long as he has free will and he can say he's not signing the extension and he'll walk at the end of the year, all Denver can do is watch him walk or get what they can get or him.

None of this is my opinion, by the way. I've never once stated what I thought would be a fair trade for him. So the whole argument of "I don't care if you won't admit it and agree with my statements" is kind of moot.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
No, this is about the fantasy that we will be able to trade Curry + Chandler + a 2014 pick and get Melo in return. That is not going to happen. It is going to take a lot more, because denver has more power than you think. It's simple.

Blumatic

Rotation player

Good Point.

(Now addressing all): How bout this scenario: The CBA expires July 1 2011. Though there is a sense of urgency b/c the season will start Melo doesn't have to budge. The closer it is to October/November the worst it will be for Denver b/c no team wants to have a player on a team that is unhappy. That will just ruin team chemistry, fans will boo Melo every night and that will put the Nuggets in a light they rather no be in. Just negative attention to the situation. Melo just has to be willing to play only b/c he's under contract therefore he can't be fined, Nuggets may send him home, but that move would just look so bad. It will be the Lebron watch only through the NBA season and that would look so bad.

But giving up both Gallo and Randolph hurts. Giving up one makes sense but both? Then again a player like Melo rarely comes along with us read to take on said player.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I also agree w LJ that Denver has the larger palmslap w the looming CBA. Melo might be in between a rock and a hard place trying to get paid and attempting get to the team of his choice.

Another whiny ball player instead of forcing management to move guys like Jr smith or not sign guys like Harrington so they can surround him with talent he wants out Smh and we need this guy.

Melo is a scorer a big time scorer but nothing much after that, he is one of those guys that gets the ball isos and blacks out like he doesn't have team mates out of all the primer wing players he is the lowest in assist thats a signal right there of his ball hogging. Gallo is growing to be a homegrown stud he is a European poor man's Kevin Durant but he will avg more asst over his career. Why bring in melo and have an even greater log jam at Sf all these Melo threads are basically saying we don't believe in him even though he still is a young player.

WE are one elite Sg and double double center from being a contender if we keep our current roster minus Eddy Curry.

A lineup of say

Felton
iguoldala (horrible contract btw)
Gallo
Amare
Hibbert(young defense presence)

BEATS

Felton
Mason
Melo
Amare
Hibbert

Any day we have too much match-up problems for you guys. At SG we are stronger on offense and defense even rebounding ( didn't put azubuike because of reports saying next year b4 his is ready)At Sf your are offensicely stronger but on defense Gallo height advantage and post game (pretty weak but still he has a nice soft touch over smaller defenders)

We shouldn't be looking for whiny nba ball players we should make moves like the Bucks Thunder and Bulls so we can improve and compete with those guys