Knicks working to make a Deal with Denver

LJ4ptplay

Starter
lay the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard! Mello will make us a contender gallo,randolph,douglas and curry wont.

No, Melo will not make a gutted Knick team a contender. Melo ADDED to our current roster will make us a contender.

There is a big difference. And that is what I am arguing.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I don't even know if Melo added to our current roster will make us a contender simply because we don't know what we have yet. We don't know how Gallo and Randolph are going to progress, so how do we know that adding Melo to the team next summer (which seems extremely unlikely right now since he's still pushing for a trade) will make us contenders?

How. do. you. know?

I won't be upset if we keep Gallo and Randolph, but if they end up being underwhelming while Melo continues to put up nice numbers and get to the foul line like 7-10 times a game (putting the other team in foul trouble,) while STAT does the same for us with a lackluster cast around him that are devaluing themselves as trade assets with each passing game...people (including the ones on here right now not wanting to make the deal) will be screaming bloody murder and talking about hindsight being 20/20 and shit.

Worst case scenario...we trade those players and get Melo. They blossom on other teams while Melo continues to be Melo for the Knicks. We develop the young players we'd still have on rookie deals, and let the 1-2 year rentals expire (except for Felton if he's playing at an All-NBA level,) we draft well, makes some moves in the FA with the little flexibility we have, and we work on building a ****ing dynasty.

I know what Melo brings. I know what STAT brings. No one knows what Gallo will bring on a consistent basis going forward. No one knows what AR will bring on a consistent basis going forward. What if Gallo's most comfortable and consistent game is being a tall jump shooter...I'm not saying that will happen...but what if it does? There's no what if's about Melo's game.

That's why it's called a "r?sum?" not a "rough forecast of my future based on wishes and feelings." Melo has a long track record of his abilities at the NBA level. Gallo and Randolph were drafted in 2008. I love Gallo and I'm intrigued by AR's ability...but Melo has been in the league for 7 years and he's only 26. This wouldn't be a "win right now" move because that's literally impossible. But you can always make big moves now for the immediate future (like the LA Angels making the trade for Dan Haren when they were thoroughly out of playoff contention.)

When opportunity to acquire a bonafide top 10 ten player, for young, likely to be good one day but still unproven talent, knocks on your door...you knock out anyone in your way to answer that door. Because if those young players don't pan out, you look like a genius, and if they do, by that time you should have built around your shiny new dynamic duo of the best offensive PF in the game and the best pure scorer, top-3 SF--top-10 player.

Win-win.

Mannnn, I tell you, the politics and money is ruining sports….this off season has been very exhausting.

Why I think this deal is going to happen for the knicks…
<O:p
1. Denver</ST1:p will loose out if they let Mello become a FA, and you know they will not let that happen. A season injury and other various uncertainties can hurt both Mello and Denver</ST1:p.
2. NY is not gutting their team if they release 2 POTENTIALLY good players. 2 PROVEN players will have the role player’s step up their game and emit some of their own star power.
3. Mello is from and hangs out in NY and is a proven player…coming into his prime
4. Building around Stat and Amare (Who are both young, and in their prime) will create a true awesome dynamic duo that almost any supporting cast can feed off of.
5. Gallo is from Itatly, he spent his off season there, doing what? (clearly not a NYer,but thats ok), has a weak back, and is a one dimensional streaky player who can be a distraction to the rest of the team due to favoritism….especially when he is not a proven player.
6. Randolph <ST1:phas more potential (imo). He has the tools of versatility to create a promising future for himself. If he happens to develop a jump shot (even a streaky inconsistent one) and fashions it along with the rest of his game…he’ll be a future all-star. But, I had the strongest feeling he was trade bait for the longest. I wouldn’t mind keeping him, but bait is bait.
7. A strong Eastern Conference,
8. A big city with big media, no more embarrasments...it's showtime.
9. An owner, Fans who are tired of loosing seasons and players who haven’t reached their potential. This sad and tired formula has done very little for the NYK's
10. A new NBA franchise will be coming to NY and will soon be competing for the NY fan base.
11. This is the basketball mecca...its time to start displaying it.<O:p</O:p

It’s almost inevitable. Don’t be surprise if this deal is done before the week is out…I just think Denver is being greedy at the moment and pushing their luck. If Mello stays Mello/cool..he haves this deal in the bag.

It's a very unproffesional move if the Knicks pass up on having both Amare and Mello. Why, just so they can gamble on Gallo and/or Randolph becoming elite players one day?

PLAY the game to win ALL the time, not just for the future...no one knows what the future holds. Opportunities are rare and this is certainly one of them. If the Knicks blow this one ...then it’s clear to me they are used to loosing and haven’t learned anything over the last few years. It will definitely come back to haunt them, and potentially have many heads rolling in the end....again.

Mannnn, I tell you, the politics and money is ruining sports?.this off season has been very exhausting.

Why I think this deal is going to happen for the knicks?
<O:p
1. Denver</ST1:p will loose out if they let Mello become a FA, and you know they will not let that happen. A season injury and other various uncertainties can hurt both Mello and Denver</ST1:p.
2. NY is not gutting their team if they release 2 POTENTIALLY good players. 2 PROVEN players will have the role player?s step up their game and emit some of their own star power.
3. Mello is from and hangs out in NY and is a proven player?coming into his prime
4. Building around Stat and Amare (Who are both young, and in their prime) will create a true awesome dynamic duo that almost any supporting cast can feed off of.
5. Gallo is from Itatly, he spent his off season there, doing what? (clearly not a NYer,but thats ok), has a weak back, and is a one dimensional streaky player who can be a distraction to the rest of the team due to favoritism?.especially when he is not a proven player.
6. Randolph <ST1:phas more potential (imo). He has the tools of versatility to create a promising future for himself. If he happens to develop a jump shot (even a streaky inconsistent one) and fashions it along with the rest of his game?he?ll be a future all-star. But, I had the strongest feeling he was trade bait for the longest. I wouldn?t mind keeping him, but bait is bait.
7. A strong Eastern Conference,
8. A big city with big media, no more embarrasments...it's showtime.
9. An owner, Fans who are tired of loosing seasons and players who haven?t reached their potential. This sad and tired formula has done very little for the NYK's
10. A new NBA franchise will be coming to NY and will soon be competing for the NY fan base.
11. This is the basketball mecca...its time to start displaying it.<O:p</O:p

It?s almost inevitable. Don?t be surprise if this deal is done before the week is out?I just think Denver is being greedy at the moment and pushing their luck. If Mello stays Mello/cool..he haves this deal in the bag.

It's a very unproffesional move if the Knicks pass up on having both Amare and Mello. Why, just so they can gamble on Gallo and/or Randolph becoming elite players one day?

PLAY the game to win ALL the time, not just for the future...no one knows what the future holds. Opportunities are rare and this is certainly one of them. If the Knicks blow this one ...then it?s clear to me they are used to loosing and haven?t learned anything over the last few years. It will definitely come back to haunt them, and potentially have many heads rolling in the end....again.

You hit the nail right on the head. You guys already lost lebron when NY was his first choice don't screw this one up aswell.

Knicks4Life_1985

&#9733;The Floor General&#9733;
You hit the nail right on the head. You guys already lost lebron when NY was his first choice don't screw this one up aswell.

Nice to see a new poster. What Heat forum do you post on? I was wondering so I can go on that board and talk to a bunch of band wagon ****s who will soon be upset.

Nice to see a new poster. What Heat forum do you post on? I was wondering so I can go on that board and talk to a bunch of band wagon ****s who will soon be upset.

Miamiheat.com. Im not upset i want the Knick to be relavant agian makes the leage more exciting and fun to watch. Also i been with the heat ever since Dwade became a part of the franchise watched him ever since his days at marquette. Go Knicks

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Gallo and Raandolph don't equal out to Carmelo. You put him on this team without Amare and we are going to the playoffs every year. Even if Gallo and Randolph turn out to be all stars, there never gonna be better the Melo. Carmelo can erupt on anygiving night and scoring 32, 33 points is EASY.

If he is such a shity player and playes ZERO defense and is a selfish superstar, that dosent make his teammates better then why did he win a national championship, and DONATE 3 MILLION DOLLARS TO SYRACUSE ( look that shit up and come back here and tell me what you found) It's thought to be one of the biggest donations a professional athlete has ever giving to his school. ( He was only here for like 8 months lol) WHATEVER. Thats about the most unselfish thing you can do, is put up 3 million dollars, and that was a couple years ago.

Even though he brings his team to the playoffs everyyear (which is the laughing stock Nuggets, and loses in the first round, except one year, hes garbage, (I don't think so) How The Fu*k are you suppose to win with dumb ass, tuff guy, ME players in Denver. Don't get me started on those retards.

Is Carmelo LeBron? NO.. Is he Kobe? NO.. Is he Dwade? NO.. Are the three better? (Most definetly the majority of people will say so) Will Carmelo light any one of those up and win a NBA championship one day? You ask your self that question? If you don't think that can happen, then Your just one of these loser Carmelo haters. And you underestimate how good he is. All the Knicks need is a dominating Center, that can rebound, hit layups, and make free throws, and play good defense(Lets see russian) Or Fab Melo next year(thats a dream lol) and Raymond Felton needs to play like a Allstar.

Then you already have Amare and Carmelo, two players that can light up Kobe and anybody on any giving day. It's coming yall. (i hope) If Carmelo Anthony goes to NYC he wants to be the man and win rings( just picture a tuff minded Knick team with Amare dunking on anybody in the league, Melo with his silky smooth shooting draining shots all night long and lighting up the garden with his signature 2 handed dunks. The garden will be on fire. And NY will Finally have a chance because they have big time players that can beat anybody, even the best on any giving night.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Forgt everything else besides one obvious fact: WE MUST build a team to compete with (and beat) MIAMIA. Simple as that.

What are the 2 main weak spots MIA has right now? PG and interior play.

With Felton, Amar'e & Melo.... we would be able to expose the areas.

Sorry. Odds are Melo will be the better player than Gallo for the next 5-6 seasons. Definitey the better offensive player. We aint stopping Lebron with Melo or Gallo, but I know Melo will go head-2-head on the offensive end.... night in and night out.

As for Randolph. He has fantastic upside. Sure does. But he could also flame out. AT LEAST we have Mozgov.

Not like we need AR's offense with Amar'e & Melo.

What if AR's work ethic prohibits growth and Gallo's back becomes a major issue. Then we certainly have no shot.

With Melo we are a lock to make the 2nd round each year. Seed things right and we get to the conference finals. Lock to win 55-60 games.

AND, we might lose a series or two.... but we could also win one against MIA.

Felton
Chandler
Melo
Amar'e
Mozgov

That's pretty nice.

Let's not forget, Dolan has shown he'll pay the luxury tax.

Azubuike and Chandler come off books after this year; Turiaf & Felton the next.

We have mid-levels and vet exemptions.

Sure, if everything falls into place, and the planets align... In 2-3 years, Gallo and Randolph could be playing at all-star levels. Problem is, by then Felton is gone and who knows about STAT.

Go for it now.

Melo is still only 26.

Now, you have to keep 1 of our young 3 (Gallo, Chandler & Randolph). Try your best to keep 2 of them.

But plz don't suggest the Knicks are better off this year (and next) with the kids over Melo. And don't sell the kids short we do have (Mozgov, Chandler, Fields).

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I still don't understand the logic of gutting the team for one player when we don't have to.

1.) Denver needs to trade Melo

2.) Melo wants to be traded out of Denver

3.) We don't need to trade with Denver yet we give into Denver and Melo's demands and gut the franchise

That is the dumbest move and any GM that does it should be fired.

You guys need to learn some new negotiating tactics. The Nets are not giving up Lopez. The Bulls are not giving up Noah. Yet you all want to give up Gallo + Randolph + Douglas. SMH.

Most, if not all of you, were totally against gutting the franchise for Melo a few weeks ago and now after the Net rumors, suddenly you want to throw everything at Denver. SMH. I'm glad none of you are the GM. Too emotional and reactionary.

Also, Melo is a great scorer, one of the best in the league, but that's it. He is an absolute terrible defender and more of a black-hole than Z-Bo. Gallo is a better defender and shooter than Melo. You subtract Gallo, Randolph and Douglas and add Melo, this team is potentially worse than if we keep them.

Secondly, Melo has mostly choked in the playoffs. Just look at last year. He was as bad as Lebron. He totally gave up. Billups had more to do with the Nuggets making it to the conference finals than Melo.

I'm not certain Melo's skills are the best option for this team. I would rather go after CP3 or Deron Williams. He is a great player but he's just not worth gutting the franchise for.

Trade one of them, but not all of them. That is just being stupid and simply satisfying a need for the instant gratification of getting a star. Nothing more.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Forgt everything else besides one obvious fact: WE MUST build a team to compete with (and beat) MIAMIA. Simple as that.

What are the 2 main weak spots MIA has right now? PG and interior play.

With Felton, Amar'e & Melo.... we would be able to expose the areas.

Sorry. Odds are Melo will be the better player than Gallo for the next 5-6 seasons. Definitey the better offensive player. We aint stopping Lebron with Melo or Gallo, but I know Melo will go head-2-head on the offensive end.... night in and night out.

As for Randolph. He has fantastic upside. Sure does. But he could also flame out. AT LEAST we have Mozgov.

Not like we need AR's offense with Amar'e & Melo.

What if AR's work ethic prohibits growth and Gallo's back becomes a major issue. Then we certainly have no shot.

With Melo we are a lock to make the 2nd round each year. Seed things right and we get to the conference finals. Lock to win 55-60 games.

AND, we might lose a series or two.... but we could also win one against MIA.

Felton
Chandler
Melo
Amar'e
Mozgov

That's pretty nice.

Let's not forget, Dolan has shown he'll pay the luxury tax.

Azubuike and Chandler come off books after this year; Turiaf & Felton the next.

We have mid-levels and vet exemptions.

Sure, if everything falls into place, and the planets align... In 2-3 years, Gallo and Randolph could be playing at all-star levels. Problem is, by then Felton is gone and who knows about STAT.

Go for it now.

Melo is still only 26.

Now, you have to keep 1 of our young 3 (Gallo, Chandler & Randolph). Try your best to keep 2 of them.

But plz don't suggest the Knicks are better off this year (and next) with the kids over Melo. And don't sell the kids short we do have (Mozgov, Chandler, Fields).

One huge problem with the lineup you listed: We have ZERO long range shooters in the starting lineup. Chandler has always performed better at his natural SF position. He has good ability driving to the basket but shooting is not his strong point.

Part of the strategy in having a dominant low post scorer is making teams pay with long range shooting. I know we have Mason and Rautins (not proven) to shoot the 3 BUT is Dantoni really going to have them in the game with 2 min to go? I'm pretty sure he will want his starters in the game to finish.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I still don't understand the logic of gutting the team for one player when we don't have to.

1.) Denver needs to trade Melo

2.) Melo wants to be traded out of Denver

3.) We don't need to trade with Denver yet we give into Denver and Melo's demands and gut the franchise

That is the dumbest move and any GM that does it should be fired.

You guys need to learn some new negotiating tactics. The Nets are not giving up Lopez. The Bulls are not giving up Noah. Yet you all want to give up Gallo + Randolph + Douglas. SMH.

Most, if not all of you, were totally against gutting the franchise for Melo a few weeks ago and now after the Net rumors, suddenly you want to throw everything at Denver. SMH. I'm glad none of you are the GM. Too emotional and reactionary.

Also, Melo is a great scorer, one of the best in the league, but that's it. He is an absolute terrible defender and more of a black-hole than Z-Bo. Gallo is a better defender and shooter than Melo. You subtract Gallo, Randolph and Douglas and add Melo, this team is potentially worse than if we keep them.

Secondly, Melo has mostly choked in the playoffs. Just look at last year. He was as bad as Lebron. He totally gave up. Billups had more to do with the Nuggets making it to the conference finals than Melo.

I'm not certain Melo's skills are the best option for this team. I would rather go after CP3 or Deron Williams. He is a great player but he's just not worth gutting the franchise for.

Trade one of them, but not all of them. That is just being stupid and simply satisfying a need for the instant gratification of getting a star. Nothing more.

I understand where you are coming from but you are grossly underrating Melo's all around game. Melo is always solid, has a big body and played really well for Team USA. I think Amare and Melo would be the second best 1/2 punch in the league. That kind of star power will attract veterans to come and win a title. We may not be better than the Heat but we will be able to compete right away and fill needs as necessary. Further we have Felton so why go hard at another PG when we can fill a need elsewhere. Felton should be a beast in this system and his contract is very reasonable.

I love Gallo and think AR is a rare athlete but they have upside while Melo is already there. Melo is a known quantity and an elite player and thats a fact. I think a deal can be done to retain either Gallo or AR but if push comes to shove we must grab Melo. I know I keep going back and forth on this but a core of Amare, Melo and Felton is too special to pass up for a chance that our guys reach their potential.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I understand where you are coming from but you are grossly underrating Melo's all around game. Melo is always solid, has a big body and played really well for Team USA. I think Amare and Melo would be the second best 1/2 punch in the league. That kind of star power will attract veterans to come and win a title. We may not be better than the Heat but we will be able to compete right away and fill needs as necessary. Further we have Felton so why go hard at another PG when we can fill a need elsewhere. Felton should be a beast in this system and his contract is very reasonable.

I love Gallo and think AR is a rare athlete but they have upside while Melo is already there. Melo is a known quantity and an elite player and thats a fact. I think a deal can be done to retain either Gallo or AR but if push comes to shove we must grab Melo. I know I keep going back and forth on this but a core of Amare, Melo and Felton is too special to pass up for a chance that our guys reach their potential.

Melo is a great player. He's just not worth gutting the franchise for. Especially when we can sign him next year for nothing.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Melo is a great player. He's just not worth gutting the franchise for. Especially when we can sign him next year for nothing.

Of course we should just wait and sign him but I doubt that happens. Further we really aren't gutting our entire team even if we lose Gallo, AR and TD. Those guys are expendable considering what core we will be left with. At that point you go out and fill holes. Veterans will flock to that core similar to what Artest did in LA.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Of course we should just wait and sign him but I doubt that happens. Further we really aren't gutting our entire team even if we lose Gallo, AR and TD. Those guys are expendable considering what core we will be left with. At that point you go out and fill holes. Veterans will flock to that core similar to what Artest did in LA.

I wouldn't be so sure that we can't sign him as a free agent:

Carmelo 'leaving my options open'

Carmelo Anthony finally got on script today. He was at Nuggets media day in Denver, wearing his uniform and following the example set by LeBron James a year before:

"I'm leaving my options open," he told a gathering of Denver media, as reported by the Denver Post's Benjamin Hochmann. "At the end of the season, I'll sit down with my team, I'll sit down with the Denver Nuggets, and we'll talk about it."

Anthony also got into semantics when it came to the trade rumors.

"I never said I wanted to be traded," he said. "I never once said anything about trade talk."

Anthony may have come to grips with the fact that this may be his best play. The Nuggets could still complete that four-team trade to send him to the Nets, but there remains strong debate within the organization that they should not rush into anything when it comes to dealing away their superstar.

This, of course, is exactly what the Knicks, who prefer to sign him as a free agent next summer rather than weaken the roster to make a trade, wanted to hear.

Why offer our youth and depth if we are able to sign him? It doesn't make any sense.

Our best strategy is to wait. This produces the best outcome for the Knicks. Everyone wants to rush and get Melo just so we can win a few more games this year and have the excitement of another star.

Patience.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I wouldn't be so sure that we can't sign him as a free agent:

Why offer our youth and depth if we are able to sign him? It doesn't make any sense.

Our best strategy is to wait. This produces the best outcome for the Knicks. Everyone wants to rush and get Melo just so we can win a few more games this year and have the excitement of another star.

Patience.

If we can wait of course we should but if another deal is imminent we must pull the trigger.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If we can wait of course we should but if another deal is imminent we must pull the trigger.

And this is where I disagree with all of you. I don't think we should pull the trigger on any deal just to get Melo.

My opinion is that Gallo + Randolph + Douglas > Melo. The 3 of them combined is better for this Knick team than Melo alone. You do realize that if that trade were to go through our bench would be Mason and Turiaf with Rautins as our backup PG? Right? We wouldn't be winning anything with that. A first round exit in the playoffs, just like the current team.

Melo isn't the "be all and end all" for the Knicks. There are better options.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
And this is where I disagree with all of you. I don't think we should pull the trigger on any deal just to get Melo.

My opinion is that Gallo + Randolph + Douglas > Melo. The 3 of them combined is better for this Knick team than Melo. You do realize that if that trade were to go through our bench would be Mason and Turiaf with Rautins as our backup PG? Right? We wouldn't be winning anything with that. A first round exit in the playoffs, just like the current team.

Melo isn't the "be all and end all" for the Knicks. There are better options.

Yes but you do realize that we will acquire more players. Even if we are really thin this year we will obtain pieces along the way.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
So essentailly you're saying we wait another year to become contenders.

Me too.

Of course if we can just wait I too advocate that but that is a big IF. Assembling a core of Amare, Melo and Felton is not a gamble and we can lock down those three and fill needs along the way.