Knicks & Spurs talk ILL Will Trade for 1st Round Pick

Red

TYPE-A
"It has been widely rumored and reported that the New York Knicks are desperately in search of a first round pick in next summer's draft, with the thinking being that they could then put together a package for the Denver Nuggets that would land Carmelo Anthony in town. Over the weekend a great deal of speculation began circulating that the San Antonio Spurs might be the team to help the Knicks get a first rounder, with Wilson Chandler being the player mentioned as possibly heading back to the Spurs." - hoopsworld
I guess the question here is...

1. should we do this unless we KNOW Melo is coming here?

2. what SG is available that we can get, who's better than Chandler?

Wilson did avg. over 15ppg last season, was improving, plays defense and is cheap @ 2.1mil.

Not many I'd bet... your thoughts?

iSaYughh

Starter
big thing is Chandler is pretty much gone (with us) after this year.

even if we don't get Carmelo (by trade), the pick carries value for us after the season.

conversely, the Spurs are desperately trying to remain relevent, and this is a big year for them to produce. i assume they are contemplating going this route, and if they consumate this deal, thatl be proof.

for us, Chandler in all liklihood won't be making or breaking anything, conversely. sure, he (could) add to some more wins, but really, he won't be making or breaking a playoff run for us. and if Wilson did, it's a sign of imminent rapage if he did make us, vs break us.

a guy like Walker, or Douglas, who could be a more "pure" 2 for us, and a longer term solution than Wilson, would also get room to grow and show what they got. which makes sense, given the hype and trajectory of these two young players last year for us, and their desire to step it up. Douglas playing damn good, Walker having played exciting ball, getting healthy, shedding weight.

finally, the deal gives us the option to trade for Carmelo asap and perform a rape.

i.e. we keep Gallo
e.g. AR + 2011 pick + 2014 pick + Walker

we play hardball in a win-win situation for us, where the juice is worth our squeeze whether we flip the pick for Carmelo or we wait and sit on it.

iSaYughh

Starter
re: sg's who'd be better than Wilson.

a case could be made that itd be more benefiical this year given everything to plug in a Walker/Douglas tandem and then get Azzy into the mix and maybe the fulltime job as he heals.

going forward, we have options: pull triger on Melo and we may have enough sheer firepower and versaility to be covered, with Melo playing a 'de facto' 2.

also, Michael Redd is a FA, Jason Richardson might be, I believe. Plus, we will have a 2011 pick to use in some sort of deal for a SG not named Melo...

New New York

Quiet Storm
My guess is that if we acquired a pick for Wilson it then gets packaged with Walker and a player like Rautins to Portland for Fernandez.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
My guess is that if we acquired a pick for Wilson it then gets packaged with Walker and a player like Rautins to Portland for Fernandez.

That would be a heinous mess of a trade. I like Rudy, always have, but that's a shocker. Are we that desperate for a better perimeter game? At the expense of 3 players?

I can't honestly see Donnie giving that the nod. That's not a Donnie deal.

If we get a pick, it's for Melo or the sake of keeping and using it in the likely absence of Chandler next season.

big thing is Chandler is pretty much gone (with us) after this year.

I agree.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I know this isn't possible, he's too old, and he has a big contract; but it would be awesome to get Ginobli somehow.

Aside from that Melo is staying put in the Nuggets, even if we get a draft pick. The Knicks best chance to trade for Melo is trade deadline or free agency at the end of the season.

Chandler is impressive in the preseason so far, and the more other teams see the talent on our team the easier it will be to get a better deal for a draft pick. Now we just and should play the waiting game.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I know this isn't possible, he's too old, and he has a big contract; but it would be awesome to get Ginobli somehow.

Aside from that Melo is staying put in the Nuggets, even if we get a draft pick. The Knicks best chance to trade for Melo is trade deadline or free agency at the end of the season.

Chandler is impressive in the preseason so far, and the more other teams see the talent on our team the easier it will be to get a better deal for a draft pick. Now we just and should play the waiting game.

Ginobli just got a contract extension. Not happening and not because he's too old.

I really hope they don't give up Chandler. He displays class, played thru pain and perfomed at a very high level last season. Which imo, shows tremendous heart. Other then Stat there really isn't no other promising player on the team....this will hurt the knicks.

I really hope they don't give up Chandler. He displays class, played thru pain and perfomed at a very high level last season. Which imo, shows tremendous heart. Other then Stat there really isn't no other promising player on the team....this will hurt the knicks.

I'm with you on this one. Wilson Chandler is a player we need because he can dig down and play defense and rebound quite well for his position. I don't think he will be a star in this league but he can put up a consistent 15pts 7reb 1blk 1 stl then fine by me. I think we should trade Anthony Randolph for Rudy Fernandez and have Chandler come off the bench because he will be consistent and not sporadic like Anthony Randolph

Kiyaman

Legend
Close Thread!!!

This is real CRAZY.
Wilson Chandler is the 2nd best player on the Knicks roster, and probably the
best defensive player on the roster. He is much-much better than Richard
Jefferson on both sides of the court. The Spurs would grab/run with the
opportunity to get Chandler for a first round pick.
Did the Lakers trade Odom to build their championship team? NO!

Who is Wilson Chandler?
Wilson Chandler is a multi-talented position player that is efficient on both sides of the court plus belongs at the SF position from start to finish.
He is worth much more than just a first round pick.

PS Donnie Walsh tried to trade David Lee for a first round pick
this is becoming sickening.
It is one thing to have a young-team but it is completly different when we
have a young-talented team with a planless headcoach (Donnie Walsh doing).
:smokin::agreed: :smokin:

Paul1355

All Star
"It has been widely rumored and reported that the New York Knicks are desperately in search of a first round pick in next summer's draft, with the thinking being that they could then put together a package for the Denver Nuggets that would land Carmelo Anthony in town. Over the weekend a great deal of speculation began circulating that the San Antonio Spurs might be the team to help the Knicks get a first rounder, with Wilson Chandler being the player mentioned as possibly heading back to the Spurs." - hoopsworld
I guess the question here is...

1. should we do this unless we KNOW Melo is coming here?

2. what SG is available that we can get, who's better than Chandler?

Wilson did avg. over 15ppg last season, was improving, plays defense and is cheap @ 2.1mil.

Not many I'd bet... your thoughts?
I don;t like injury prone players and Chandler has been that....he is a dumb player with great skills and a strong body.

I think Chandler has been the best Knick in the pre season but how long will it last? I dont know and we need Melo in here because seeing the team lose the T Wolves because we couldn't hit open shots makes me sick.

Trade Chandler for a first round pick, then trade Gallo/Curry/Douglas/Walker/2nd round picks/1st round pick for Melo

No way Jose we should hold onto Wilson Chandler because he has been the most consistent player the last two years besides David Lee. If any thing we need to shop Anthony Randolph or Walker and the 2Nd rounders for a 1st rounder.

If Donnie can get a 1st rounder for Wilson Chandler he's gotta get the deal done. Period. Even if the pick isn't traded, it's still a first rounder for a guy who's not returning next year anyway.

mafra

Legend
It appears (according to rumors) that Walsh covets Rudy Fernandez, and he's trying to pry the disgruntled SG from POR with 2 second round draft picks (one we received from GSW for Lee and the other we got from BOS for N8).

Also, it's obvious Walsh is trying everything he can to snag Carmelo Anthony... And that he realizes he needs a 1st round selection to make any deal even remotely possible.

If it were up to Walsh, both moves would be made yesterday.

Wilson Chandler is a solid yet inconsitent player. Our best 2-way player, and probably our #3 best scoring option in the 4th quarter. But he wont be re-signed (if they want to offer a max contract to somebody, er Melo).

SO.... WC will be moved at some point this season. Take that to the bank. I'm sure the deal with the Spurs is out there for us, if we wish to make it, but that Walsh understands the SA will most likely have a low pick in the 22-28 range or so. NOt like it's the best compensation for WC, or that it's the type of 1st rounder that has DEN jumping for joy.

Say the Knicks are playing well... on pace to win 48 games and make the playoffs.... Knicks will not be major players at the trade deadline. They wont move Curry to bring back a bad contract. They will let the deadline pass and then simply release Curry.

The one deal I see them making is moving WC. By Feb., Azu should be healthy again.... and players like Walker, Fields, Rautins will have made their cases. WC just doesn't have a future in NY b/c of $$$, and he is a player without a position on this team.

NOW.... if we pull off a trade for Rudy Fernandez, then I see us shipping Wilson out earlier. We'll do it to do him a favor and let him go play for his next contract someplace else. Playing WC at SG is like putting a circle into a square peg. So if we don't have to, we wont do it.

BOTTOM LINE: If Knicks can get Rudy Fernandez and a 1st round pick for Wilson Chandler and 2 second rounders.... I sense that Walsh makes the move.

Chandler can play multiple positions and is becoming a way better prospect than Rudy. I just think ppl confuse Wilson's timid attitude with lack of heart. But, if you watch his game and not his mouth and testosterone outburst on the court... you can clearly see he's a man of class and great potential. I think Walsh should put all of his concentration into getting Mello.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Of course "Wil the Thril" will get traded for another player with "potential." Probably Gallo's stepbrother or something like that. I am sick of this ****. This team will NEVER be good until we CULTIVATE good players we draft, not just trade them to MATURE with BETTER teams.

Kiyaman

Legend
Some members need to be real in this thread.

Who the hell would want to buy or trade for the Spurs late first round pick?
Please do not say, "Donnie Walsh".
Even clueless Isiah Thomas was able to get the Spurs first round pick (David Lee) in the trade of Rose for Nazr.

Wilson Chandler has yet to reach his potential ceiling b/c of a dum favoritism coach has denied Chandler the chance to develope at his natural position SF.
Amare & Chandler are the only legit NBA starters on the Knick 2010-11 roster. Who else on our roster would a NBA team give up their first round pick for? dont lie to your self by mentioning Gallo, his 2 year hype is 100% better than his performance. There has not been one Knick oponent (players/coaches) that took Gallo serious as being a Knick scoring threat.
Toney Douglas is more closer to getting us a first round pick than Felton/Randolph.

I wish we hurry up and FIRE Dantoni asap before he gets Walsh to trade Wilson Chandler. :thumbsup:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I actually agree with Kiyaman. If we're going to trade Chandler it should at least be for a mid-high first rounder, not the Spurs' 23rd pick or whatever they got

iSaYughh

Starter
Delusionment in this thread. A mid or HIGH 1st for Wilson?

This isn't nba2k where were dealing w robot gm's.

As mafra, myself, crazy and others repeatedly point out:

Wilson is a FA. And we have the cap situation where his signing, or lackthereof, is the crux in our ability to sign Melo, or the host of legit 5s and other FA's thru sign n trade or whatever.

We know this. The league knows this.

A solid but unspectactular kid with a injury history isn't going to have people lining up.

Not when he is a rental. Not when everyone knows he doesnt make much sense for us long term and our ability and desire to resign him is ripe with difficulty and unlikleyhood.

We have little to no leverage or bargaining power.

The one scenario where maybe we KEEP him. Is we trade for Melo and GALLO goes. Gallo, Walker, future 1st, curry. 2nds for Rudy.

Felton-Douglas
Melo-Rudy-Rautins
Wilson (resigned)-Fields
STAT-Turiaf
Moz-AR

It's possible. We'd have a legit stockpile of sharpshooting range off the bench, too.

Depending on how highly you rate how Wilson could do in that lineup, it could be sick and have potential to really explode.