Notes and Observations from Knicks Open Practice

KBlack25

Starter
I got back from the free open practice not too long ago...I was only able to stay until about 1 but here is what I noticed. Anyone who attended PLEASE feel free to comment about what you saw...

1. Timo Mozgov looked pretty good. I saw him make some nice moves dribbling the ball. He had a great put back off of a (I think) missed Gallo shot. He found a lot of space in the fast break drill...seemed like he was always open for a dunk or good low post shot (high bball IQ indicia). He still is pretty raw in terms of talent, but I liked watching him play. Based on the way they had the lineups and jerseys set up it looks like Timo will be our starter.

2. Toney Douglas looked phenomenal. Fast to the ball, making nice passes and of course always solid on defense. At the same time, I didn't fall in love with Felton. I think this is more of a time share 50/50 than we believe.

3. Anthony Randolph is raw, but he is extremely unselfish. There were lots of times where he could have taken a long jumper or a wild layup, but he passed off to a guy with a better shot. I like seeing that from a young guy...

4. Patrick Ewing Jr. wants on this team badly. He was playing very hard on defense, flying to the ball, being aggressive. I bet he makes the cut pretty easily.

5. Roger Mason Jr. definitely has a shot, but beyond that I don't really know how we use him.

Anyone else have any big notes? I left out talking about Gallo or STAT as they were about as I expected.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
douglas really improved the pick and roll Felton is starting to get a hold of the system and should be taking big strides in the coming week in this offense. Mozgov should be our starting C much better then i expected overall it was fun i had a great time cant wait for the season and to go to a game.

p.s Amar'es beast

Paul1355

All Star
This is suprising, I still expect Turiaf to start come opening night.

I hope Mozgov starts because he is a better athlete and can last longer than Turiaf and Turiaf is the perfect role player.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Turiaf was running with the bench. Mozgov with the starting unit.

Felton did NOT impress. Blew many passes.

Randolph was disappointing. =/

PEJ was killing Amare. He blocked him twice!

Andy Rautins has a nice stroke at the line.

Turiaf was pretty stale.

TD was lightening rod fast.

Mozgov was IMPRESSIVE.

Amare was Amare.

Gallo was Gallo.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

Turiaf was pretty stale.

Mozgov was IMPRESSIVE.

Amare was Amare.

Gallo was Gallo.

pretty much on spot loll. amare was exactly what i expected and gallo was what i expected

chandler looks bigger this season and is still a little behind with his conditioning-as expected with his offseason surgery-once he gets that back he's going to be really good

mozgov looks to be a gem so far we may have something here fellas dude has a really high IQ once he gets more accustomed to the NBA game he should be a really solid C in the L

looks like our starting 5 is Felton( he'll get it together he has the pace and skill, lets just wait for him to get accustomed to the system) Chandler Gallo Amare and Mozgov

CoolClyde

Moscow on the Bud, son

I blogged this (with blurry pics!) at:
http://testpress.net/knickspractice101010.html

enjoyed watching Knicks play each other in fast-paced drills, Moscow was def impressive; he's not clumsy (as you'd expect of a 7-foot+ foreign white guy) at all! He's fast, has got good hands and looks better than Tuffiaf, if he learns how to NOT foul in games. yet, what's the point starting him if he's gonna foul out in first 2-5 minutes? but he was on starting squad, it seems.

Tony D outshone Ray Feltip, although Ray looked very quick. TD, also quite quick, hit some amazing long distance shots towards end of practice when 1/2 team was shooting half court shots. he had this quick wrist-release that was very cool.

Andy Rottens was hitting shots and distributing. Mrs. Fields already looks as good as Weedson Chandler, smarter than the weedhead, but not as athletic.

JuniorPat blocked STAT! twice!

Watched Team 2 outshoot Team 1 during end of practice shooting drill, giving section 123, the section they were playing for, the right to pose like idiots on the big screen for 2 minutes...lame, but funny!

Azibukake was running drills at end of practice with asst coach... very encouraging!!

thanks for the free tix Mister Dolan!

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I blogged this (with blurry pics!) at:
http://testpress.net/knickspractice101010.html

enjoyed watching Knicks play each other in fast-paced drills, Moscow was def impressive; he's not clumsy (as you'd expect of a 7-foot+ foreign white guy) at all! He's fast, has got good hands and looks better than Tuffiaf, if he learns how to NOT foul in games. yet, what's the point starting him if he's gonna foul out in first 2-5 minutes? but he was on starting squad, it seems.

Tony D outshone Ray Feltip, although Ray looked very quick. TD, also quite quick, hit some amazing long distance shots towards end of practice when 1/2 team was shooting half court shots. he had this quick wrist-release that was very cool.

Andy Rottens was hitting shots and distributing. Mrs. Fields already looks as good as Weedson Chandler, smarter than the weedhead, but not as athletic.

JuniorPat blocked STAT! twice!

Watched Team 2 outshoot Team 1 during end of practice shooting drill, giving section 123, the section they were playing for, the right to pose like idiots on the big screen for 2 minutes...lame, but funny!

Azibukake was running drills at end of practice with asst coach... very encouraging!!

thanks for the free tix Mister Dolan!

Andy Rottens Mrs Fields...your such a internet punk!

I like reading that Moz is running with the first team, we'll be running out there this year with a pretty long team witch will help out a lot on the Defensive end of the court.... now we just have to get our offence back to a fluid state and then... nothing but good times ahead :)

New New York

Quiet Storm

Turiaf was pretty stale.

Mozgov was IMPRESSIVE.

Amare was Amare.

Gallo was Gallo.

You do mean that in a good way right? May sound like a dumb question, but I just hope by saying they were just being them it didnt mean in anyway they disappointed.

This Felton thing has the potential to be very problematic. He is hands down our most important player if we want to be good this year.

Anthony Randolph concerns me, but not too much. I think learning the system and what coach expects of him is going to help

Great News about TD and Moz

What about my man Wilson?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
My friend was there and said Mozgov looked really good on both ends of the court and was playing with the starters. He said Amare had some viscous dunks too.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
SH!T.

Wish I could've been there. The Gov ran with the starting 5? Is he legit or is this blind optimism?

Toney D is my fave man. He's obviously added to his game and not lost a beat defensively. I'll say it again, Douglas V Felton for starter is gonna heat up. So far, without fretting, Douglas seems to be growing exponentially, as Felton struggles to adjust.

KBlack25

Starter
SH!T.

Wish I could've been there. The Gov ran with the starting 5? Is he legit or is this blind optimism?

Toney D is my fave man. He's obviously added to his game and not lost a beat defensively. I'll say it again, Douglas V Felton for starter is gonna heat up. So far, without fretting, Douglas seems to be growing exponentially, as Felton struggles to adjust.

As far as Timo - I mean is he going to be like Shaq? No...but this guy is not clumsy, he always found himself in open space on the fast break, he cut at the right time, he has a shot, he can handle a little. He looked very impressive to me and my dad. He's not going to be an all-star, but he can ball for sure. He just needs to get more aggressive on the boards.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
You do mean that in a good way right? May sound like a dumb question, but I just hope by saying they were just being them it didnt mean in anyway they disappointed.

This Felton thing has the potential to be very problematic. He is hands down our most important player if we want to be good this year.

Anthony Randolph concerns me, but not too much. I think learning the system and what coach expects of him is going to help

Great News about TD and Moz

What about my man Wilson?

yea he means that in the good way loll, gallo was finding open space and his defense was much better then i could have expected! gallo looks improved from last season im starting to just want to wait for mello as a free agent if only he could continue it.

and amare was by far the best on the court, he wasnt even giving it his all and he beasted. he's going to be ridiculous this year:gony:

chandler looked good but he still needs to get in shape cause he's a little out of it cause of the surgery he had. once he gets that he should be fine. his shot is improved and his defense is as always good.

most impressive in my books; douglas and mozgov

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
100% agreed...my dad agrees with you as well.

im starting to wonder if at some stretches if douglas will get some minutes as a starter loll.

i've already heard a lot of talk about having douglas and felton together in the backcourt at times