ESPN - Once Brothers

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Anybody watch the ESPN documentary "Once Brothers"?

It was really good and very well done. If you missed it, I would suggest watching.

KBlack25

Starter
Absolutely amazing. An incredible story about how easily a friendship, even a tight one, can be torn apart over a simple misunderstanding. Really made me see Vlade in a new light, I really can't imagine having that happen and holding on to that for 20 years. And it was clear it was on his mind for the last 20 years. A really fantastic story.

pat

Starter
saw parts of it...i feel bad for Vlade...his friend was a real dirt bag

I don't think so. Did you hear what people called im in the streets of Sarajevo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetniks

That is the impression people had of Divac at that time. I can still remember the 1995 European Championship. During the award ceremony, Divac and the the other Serbian players did the victory sign as it was done by the Serbian Army at that time.

I can imagine that he did it because he kind of accepted the role of a Serbian national idol for taking away that flag. Who knows. Still, a good documentary though.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Very strong documentary but i wouldn't blame any of the players, each did what had to be done. Those were very rough times back then, and as Kukoc said, whether you liked it or not, you had to chose sides, and nobody picked against his family. I feel bad for what happened between them but i kinda understand both sides.

LE: to understand better what that war was like, i recommend watching Harrison's Flowers. It's not a documentary but it shows you a very powerful image of the war between the serbs and the croats from a photojournalist's eye.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Great piece, but even documentaries can be one-sided.

It was all an ugly situation back then. Can't help but feel sad for everyone.