Concerns for Gallo, Knicks

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He played pretty well tonight. He was much more aggressive. Drew quite a few fouls on Pierce. 20 pts. 3 rebs 2 steals. Shot over 50%. Not bad.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Gallo will be fine. Obviously all of this talk about him is ridiculously unnecessary as it's still preseason. The man is just getting his feet wet. Stay f-ing tuned!

News flash haterz: Gallo is too good not to be better this year. HE WILL COME THROUGH FOR US!! Stop.

Last edited:

milchshake

Benchwarmer
Im beginning to hate seeing him chuck up 3s..

Have you seen his killer instinct in Milano ( I wonder where was the 3 pts line there - maybe he is too much familiar with european distance since he was a kid )? He needs just more regularity without pathetic perfomance like this with first NYK- boston game.

petescud

Starter
Wow, panic stations and its preseason...Gallo needs a mentor. Someone who will show him his strengths. D'antoni needs to have one of the assistants work with him on different parts of the game. I'd like to see him take it to the rim more (and get fouled) He has the potential to be a 20 ppg guy nightly

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He played pretty well tonight. He was much more aggressive. Drew quite a few fouls on Pierce. 20 pts. 3 rebs 2 steals. Shot over 50%. Not bad.

And then he plays like s**t tonight. God, he's so freaking inconsistent. So is Chandler. Both of the played well last night and both of them played terribly tonight.

tiger0330

Legend
Fields is playing better than Gallo on both ends and isn't the whole purpose of the preseason to evaluate who should play. I wonder if Gallo was on any other team where his godfather wasn't the coach whether Fields wouldn't be getting the nod to start on opening day.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He needs another dimension to his game. I'm confident that it's there, but he doesn't seem to be harnessing it just yet...

He needs to limit his 3 point shots to 5 a game and instead focus on driving to the basket and establishing himself as a legitimate post player.

He can't hit 3's if people know all he's gonna do his shoot 3's...the 3 point shot is best used as a complement to a player's game.

Gallo has the ability to be more than a Kyle Korver. But if he doesn't work on his game, that's all he really is.

Kiyaman

Legend
Fields is playing better than Gallo on both ends and isn't the whole purpose of the preseason to evaluate who should play. I wonder if Gallo was on any other team where his godfather wasn't the coach whether Fields wouldn't be getting the nod to start on opening day.
:agreed:
Well put. If Gallo was coming off the bench to add a "peremeter-offense",
he would keep adding more dimension to his overall performance like Fields
has been doing from SLG to preseason game. Earning his way into the lineup.
:beer:
He needs another dimension to his game. I'm confident that it's there, but he doesn't seem to be harnessing it just yet...
He needs to limit his 3 point shots to 5 a game and instead focus on driving to the basket and establishing himself as a legitimate post player.
He can't hit 3's if people know all he's gonna do his shoot 3's...the 3 point shot is best used as a complement to a player's game.
Gallo has the ability to be more than a Kyle Korver. But if he doesn't work on his game, that's all he really is.
:gony:
I watched all of the above in Gallo's first full NBA season (1-11 start)
to Gallo's disgusting Christmas day game. That was enough to prove Gallo
is a big project like Anthony Randolph.
Since then Gallo added nothing to his performance in these preseason games.
Gallo consistently shows he dont know how or when to line-up to shoot the 3-ball.
I never was impressed with the few plays Gallo make in the first half of a
game, and Gallo's disapearing act in the 2nd half of a game. My conclusion?
If Gallo is a Knick starter this season I dont have any confidence in the
Knicks winning above 42% of their games.

The positives I see out of the mess we made this 2010 offseason, we can
actually make a decent hustling bench-lineup of Douglas, Walker, Fields,
with a peremeter shooting Gallo hustling with these guys on both sides of the
court to become more than a 1 demensional player, making us a 9+ man rotation team.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i think randolph should start at the 3. After seeing him a few games, he definitely cant play the 5 this season. our most effective lineup is

Douglas
Chandler
Randolph
Stoudamire
Mozgov

with felton, azu, gallo as the core bench

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I will say one thing which gives me great hope...Gallo is slashing way more than I have ever seen him do. I think he realizes that he needs to be more versatile and that 3pt opportunities will be abundant this year off of all the doubles Amare will draw.

Paul1355

All Star
http://tinyurl.com/29y5q5p

Great point made about Gallo. Check it out. Im beginning to hate seeing him chuck up 3s.. his back shouldnt hurt anymore...

great points and I agree with the whole article.

Gallo has no excuse to not drive to the basket. Do these guys watch game tape? Don't they see that Gallo draws a foul almost every single time he drives to the basket????

These makes me furious that Gallo can easily drive to the hoop and draw fouls while knocking down the 83% free throws and help us more than ever, instead he falls in love with the three and bricks more times than not.

Gallo's inconsistency can easily slide Chandler into the starting 3 spot, which would obviously piss off Gallo and MAKE HIM BE MORE VERSATILE...and I think Gallo will only be more versatile if he is benched for Chandler or if he just suddenly realizes its the best strategy...how long will it take? Hopefully not years.

Gallo's defense is also dismal. Pierce blew by Gallo, why? Because Gallo kept giving Peirce the right side. If someone is right handed, don't give them an uncontested right handed layup! Make them go left...I think Gallo loses his brain sometimes.

I loved this quote...."Watching Danilo Gallinari lecture Timofey Mozgov about defense is quite comical, seeing as though most of Mozgov?s fouls came because of Gallo?s matador defense."

LOL SO TRUE

Remix 37

Rookie
great points and I agree with the whole article.

Gallo has no excuse to not drive to the basket. Do these guys watch game tape? Don't they see that Gallo draws a foul almost every single time he drives to the basket????

These makes me furious that Gallo can easily drive to the hoop and draw fouls while knocking down the 83% free throws and help us more than ever, instead he falls in love with the three and bricks more times than not.

Gallo's inconsistency can easily slide Chandler into the starting 3 spot, which would obviously piss off Gallo and MAKE HIM BE MORE VERSATILE...and I think Gallo will only be more versatile if he is benched for Chandler or if he just suddenly realizes its the best strategy...how long will it take? Hopefully not years.

Gallo's defense is also dismal. Pierce blew by Gallo, why? Because Gallo kept giving Peirce the right side. If someone is right handed, don't give them an uncontested right handed layup! Make them go left...I think Gallo loses his brain sometimes.

I loved this quote...."Watching Danilo Gallinari lecture Timofey Mozgov about defense is quite comical, seeing as though most of Mozgov?s fouls came because of Gallo?s matador defense."

LOL SO TRUE

everybody at the top was hating on me for posting the article saying its only preseason..i dont think one knicks fan is pleased with teh way gallo has performed AT ALL!!!!! not even a little bit

You're going to have the delusional ones. it's ok thou. It's a good thing this is just a game and not the something serious. Someone will probably be put to rest if it was...

However, I sure do hope Denver see's<ST1:p his potential because I don’t. His game is the same as always …lame. He’s still an inconsistent perimeter camper with no post game or defensive skills. It’s obvious why he’s starting at SF over the much better versatile players in Chandler</ST1:p and Fields. IMO, Fields should have Gallo’s starting spot before the season….that’s if Gallo isn’t traded away by then. To keep him here…and in the starting rotation would be blasphemy, I'll know by the start of the season if the coach really is the anti-christ...or not.

Paul1355

All Star
i think randolph should start at the 3. After seeing him a few games, he definitely cant play the 5 this season. our most effective lineup is

Douglas
Chandler
Randolph
Stoudamire
Mozgov

i agree, I was hounding people for not suggesting Randolph at the 5 but i was proven wrong, he has no post defense skills, and gets bodied up everytime, plus he can't box out...fundamentals!

He is better as a wing man...def Lamar Odom type without the long range jump shot and better athleticism.

Your lineup looks like the best but we have no shooters which would make us have brick after brick. If we were a slashing team then we would murder teams with that lineup.

Mike D has to tell Gallo to stop chucking eventually.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Gallo.. if his shot isn't going he's useless.

Yeah he does look that way at times when he's not hitting. But Gallo is still figuring out the NBA game. He's still not sure when to force is way to the hole for either the finish or foul, or when to not settle for a three and instead shoot a midrange shot, or when to stop shooting threes. There should be periods during a game where he says to himself, "i'm not settling for the 3". There's other times when the defense gives him the 3. He should definitely take them whenever those opportunities are presented. I think he has all of these elements to his game, he's just still trying to figure out when and how best to use them. He will, it'll just take time.

Well put! I'm not sure he needs to work on his game more. HE HAS THE GAME. He just needs to put it all together mentally.

Listen Gallo is not Korver, even if he's only taking 3s. Gallo is a better shooter than 95% of players in the league, & that's even debatable. He might be even better; better even than some of bigger names that come to mind. His shot is pure. That part of his game is what will make the dribble-drive piece easier and more effective. So many people on these boards underrate him as a shooter. Combine that attribute w a potent drive game and you have the basis for which he can be assessed as a future all-star.

Douglas
Chandler
Randolph
Stoudamire
Mozgov

You're being sarcastic right?? You have been watching Randolph this preseason right? Randolph hasn't shown anything to me thus far that would indicate he should start over Gallo, Chandler, or even Fields for that matter.

Last edited:

Aristoteles

Benchwarmer
i write here what i have already written in another thread. If the problem is the way of Gallo playing i'm afraid that this is not his fault but D'Ant's fault. And i can explain this easily. I follow Gallo since he started to play basket in Italy at 16 years old. I know that is not nba but you can have faith in me... he wasn't considered a shooter. He liked to attack the basket and playing in the paint. he now do what the coach say and the coach in this case is mistaking completely

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
i write here what i have already written in another thread. If the problem is the way of Gallo playing i'm afraid that this is not his fault but D'Ant's fault. And i can explain this easily. I follow Gallo since he started to play basket in Italy at 16 years old. I know that is not nba but you can have faith in me... he wasn't considered a shooter. He liked to attack the basket and playing in the paint. he now do what the coach say and the coach in this case is mistaking completely

I agree that Gallo has these other aspects to his game. But where I differ with your thinking is that coach is telling him to be 3pt shooter.

Coach knows Gallo's game. He knows he can drive, finish and do other things. I think he's definitely encouraging him to be more dynamic. We just don't hear it. That to some of y'all seems to mean it's not happening - which is ridiculous. It takes awhile for the messages to translate on to the court tho. But it'll happen. I have faith.

The ideal message to give Gallo is: TAKE WHAT THE D GIVES YOU!..

If your open, shoot.

If the defender closees on you, go by them.

If your man plays you close, jabstep em' to create space, take a dribble or two.

If there's enough space shoot, if not pumpfake then shoot or draw a foul.

Post up when the matchup is advantageous.

Pick and pop.

Just play.

I hope thas Coach's message. If he can't tell Gallo those things, then he ain't the offensive guru everybody thinks he is.. D'ant and the other coaches really are telling Gallo that stuff tho. It's obvious sh*t.

Gallo's gotta put it together.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Yeah he does look that way at times when he's not hitting. But Gallo is still figuring out the NBA game. He's still not sure when to force is way to the hole for either the finish or foul, or when to not settle for a three and instead shoot a midrange shot, or when to stop shooting threes. There should be periods during a game where he says to himself, "i'm not settling for the 3". There's other times when the defense gives him the 3. He should definitely take them whenever those opportunities are presented. I think he has all of these elements to his game, he's just still trying to figure out when and how best to use them. He will, it'll just take time.

Well put! I'm not sure he needs to work on his game more. HE HAS THE GAME. He just needs to put it all together mentally.

Listen Gallo is not Korver, even if he's only taking 3s. Gallo is a better shooter than 95% of players in the league, & that's even debatable. He might be even better; better even than some of bigger names that come to mind. His shot is pure. That part of his game is what will make the dribble-drive piece easier and more effective. So many people on these boards underrate him as a shooter. Combine that attribute w a potent drive game and you have the basis for which he can be assessed as a future all-star.

You're being sarcastic right?? You have been watching Randolph this preseason right? Randolph hasn't shown anything to me thus far that would indicate he should start over Gallo, Chandler, or even Fields for that matter.

Co-sign 100%. You're spot on about Gallo. If you watch the games and judge him objectively, and not tainted thru hate (d'ant-hate, euroball-hate, Lopez-envy, etc) you know he has all the skills to be a uniquely dominant all-star player. He's simply shown it. Plus intangibles on D and clutchness.

Maybe he never quite puts it all together, but IMHO, t's a good bet to think he (soon?) will. Unless his demeanor, will, and iq, which on the surface seems solid enough, is a total facade.

If he was a one trick pony like most NBA players (and that's not even a really bad thing), it'd be a lot easier to "put it all together". Let him find himself. He has, for the first time, teammates and a franchise who resemble a legit NBA squad and team.

If he pooches throughout this year I can see the worry and hate justified.