What to take from Knicks-Wizards game

Paul1355

All Star
Someone had a thread but it didn't ask any questions or have evaluations...so I stepped in.

Positives:
Felton is showing his intensity, especially by driving to the basket and using his stocky body to get layups and foul calls. His shot has also improved, he usually takes good shots, only a few times he threw up a brick.
Randolph makes turnovers and has a low IQ but he also brings rebounding, some flashy plays and a long body, when he hits outside shots he is really good, when he air balls is when you worry because it affects his psyche. Randolph is getting more comfortable, give him some time.
Turiaf is still nothing on offense by passing up open shots and layups but he is passing good and becoming a shot blocking role player, solid back up to Mozgov
Mozgov has been the most impressive Knick. Alan Hahn said after the game that Mozgov's scouting report was that he couldn't make any shot from outside of 5 feet, the fact that Mozgov has been hitting a mid range shot consistently shows me he is a quick learner and confident enough to use it. He has been lowering his foul calls and you can see he gave up some foul attempts so he wouldn't be out of the game. I love seeing him throw down dunks and he should use the pick and roll-alley oop more. Rebounding is something he has to constantly work on, not enough boxing out.
Fields had his bad moments with some dumb passes but he is a smart player and showed he can hit a big shot last night with 30 seconds left. He is impressing me every game and looks like to be a role player come start of the season. He is one of the smartest Knicks on the floor.
Douglas has continued to be great, I loved his intensity and willingness to be the main man at the end of the game, but he started to lose his jump shot which is why Fields jumper was so big. nothing more to say about Douglas, he is a fantastic backup PG, just has to improve passing even though he is better at the pick and roll then Felton.
Team defense is still pretty good and should get better with more communication.

Negatives:
Gallo's inconsistency and lack of driving is getting worse by every game...he is becoming one dimensional. This lack of willingness to drive might always make him a third option on a basketball team until he becomes more versatile. Without Gallo scoring at a high rate, we have no other go-to-guy besides Amare, and if Gallo doesn't step up, then it will make Donnie Walsh get Melo sooner since Walsh said himself that we need other go to scorers.
Rautins and Mason continue to be sharp shooters that can't shoot, they are probably not going to get any role player minutes unless there is an injury.
Team rebounding is pathetic, no one boxes out, Randolph, Turiaf, and Mozgov need to box out and rebound at a much higher rate or we will lose games just because of rebounding....this is where David Lee is missed.
No one is slashing...this needs to improve if we are ever going to make the playoffs, we have good foul shooters and guys who can slash, let's just do it.
Not enough pick and roll, for a play that was used countless times with Chris Duhon and David Lee, this play is rarely used with Amare and Mozgov. We should do over ten pick and rolls every game, maybe even double that.

I know I missed something....

Paul1355

All Star
Positive:
Amare's 18pts and 7rebs and 2 blocks in only 24 minutes
amare is always a positive, if he played full minutes his numbers would be ridiculous which is why i am just waiting for the season so i can stop seeing good players get benched while they're playing good!

TD and Chandler are steadly improving (as expected). I'm sure you already know where I stand as far as our weaknesses...

Hopefully, the season will start with a new player or two...

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
spot on... i'm surprised at the rebounding but it should get better as they play together more... i like fields alot, douglas is the most improved so far... disappointed at gallo but i'll hold judgement... but he doesn't seem to have improved at all over last year. chandler is chandler don't see much improvement there either. hopefully randolph gets is going because he ain't shown shite so far. our two young "stars" gallo and randolph were like 3 for 17 against the wizards. that should improve i would think if not we are in for a long season... go knickerbockers

elcol

Rotation player
felton reallly improved, not turning the ball over as much and getting layups/jumpers, he is working on the P&R with amare but amare usually turns the roll into triple threat, and takes on the mismatch.

paul: you may have missed the fact that TD and felton held down wall, although wall did do well they didn't let him take over the game, whcih was nice. guard defence!

Paul1355

All Star
felton reallly improved, not turning the ball over as much and getting layups/jumpers, he is working on the P&R with amare but amare usually turns the roll into triple threat, and takes on the mismatch.

paul: you may have missed the fact that TD and felton held down wall, although wall did do well they didn't let him take over the game, whcih was nice. guard defence!
ehh Wall had too many drives and fastbreaks...Wall is just too fast for anyone which is why you have to play him like Rondo and guard the drive and let him shoot the outside shot, which is his weakness....STILL Felton and Douglas played Wall up close which allowed Wall to break through the defense with a layup or pass to an open man outside....we need to understand players tendencies.

Sage

Rotation player
The team defense looked really unorganised to me, but you could see the effort at least, which I thought was a positive sign.

No one is slashing... - I thought this was the most important point about the offence. If you can't keep the defense guessing and they know all we're going to do is chuck 3s up, then what's the point. Mixing it up by going to the hoop (and it seems we do have the players to do this) would open up more chances for open 3s.

Spot on post, Paul. I found the game really entertaining, especially for preseason.