What to take from the Knicks-Raptors game

Paul1355

All Star
Let's all be real here, if Amare played 5 more minutes, the knicks would have easily won this game...so far no team has stopped Amare in any way.

Positives:
-Amare, Amare, Amare, this guy is a franchise player, he is unstoppable on offense and makes huge plays that fire up the team and make us start scoring runs...that is what he brings. And one great thing is the guy draws fouls, LOTS of them which is something our team lacked last year. He should average over 25 ppg.
-Felton continues to get used to the system and ease into it more and more. He looks comfortable as suppose to the first couple games were he seemed lost. He knows were Amare is at all times and usually looks to him as the first option. He drives more and his shot is usually consistent...and I liked how he started to play really good once Reggie Evans decked him with a screen...he is a tough little dude.
-Landry Fields is so good that I can honestly see this guy starting over Wilson Chandler at the 2. If Mike D is really all about guys meshing together as certain groups then he would see the great chemistry of Fields and Amare. Those two players fed each other beautifully and they are both smart players exploiting dumb defense that we always see in the NBA. Mike D even mentioned the possibility of starting Fields and making Douglas a sixth man with Chandle probably taking over some SF and PF minutes...sorry Randolph!
-Mozgov is still solid but has his moments with bad fouls and no rebounding, but on offense he is very good and is showing his variety of moves in the post. Bargnani owned him tonight because of his outside shot, but the one time Bargnani drove on Mozgov, the Russian swated the ball so in the post he is solid, he needs to practice rebounding, the outside jumper, and perimeter D, and of course limiting fouls.
-Douglas will get huge minutes, we all know this and if Douglas played against Toronto this game would be different since Rautins was a failure at PG today.
-Ronny Turiaf finally shot a jump shot! And made it! LOL
-I cant believe I am saying this but Mason Jr. was pretty good against Toronto. He has just won the chance to get minutes over Rautins but Walker is over both Mason and Rautins. Mason was more consistent with the outside shot and played good defense with some steals and a nice block. Experience usually prevails.
-Billy Walker's aggressiveness is something we need to see more. He kind of reminds me of Gallo. He has a great shot but over shoots it when he can be so much more effective by driving. What Walker has over Gallo is the athleticism to throw down a monster dunk.
-Knicks offensive transition was good but at times was too aggressive were we wound up running on offense when the ball was not even in the Knicks hands...we have to secure the ball before starting a fast break.
-Randolph was more positive than negative but had his bad moments. Randolph became aggressive at the end of the game and had a fantastic block which he has to do more often. I like seeing Randolph get pumped up, he is huge going forward.

Negatives:
-Horrible passing in this game...Rautins and Chandler were absolutely horrible with passes...and Ronny Turiaf at the point doesn't always work out.
-Rautins sucked...he can't dribble which eliminates him from being a PG on this team. He has good court vision but the lack of ballhandling skills makes the court vision useless. He still misses most of his shots and has to learn to be better off th ball. He will be the odd man out now, I am convinced. Fields, Walker, Mason all have the nod over him at SG.
-Team rebounding again was a failure...Reggie Evans got too many easy rebounds, it was embarrassing.
-Not sure if Ewing Jr. will win the spot over Williams but he might because of his defense.
-Chandler was lost in this game. It is very strange that he was so good the first couple of games and kind of failed in the last few...I think Fields might have proven to Mike D that he is better suited at the SG spot than Chandler who is a pure 3 and a good 4.
-I am still worried about Gallo because if he does not start hitting shots consistently then i dont know what we do next. MIke D won't ever bench him so it will only hurt us if Gallo can't shoot consistently.
-Our bench is not as strong as I thought. Only Walker, Fields, Douglas, and Turiaf will make a difference in games. When Amare and Felton are not on the floor, we struggle overall. We need to fix that to make the playoffs.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'm really really impressed by Landry Fields. The kid can play, and I'm fully convinced that Walsh made a great choice.

Mozgov's play is really starting to catch my eye. He's playing well and definitely deserves the starting C job at this point (Turiaf is a hustler who can bang down low with the opposing centers but I think Mozgov's height+athleticism+scoring ability puts him over Turiaf, he's really impressed).

I think of Toney Douglas as a version of Nate Robinson + coachability + defense.

He's pretty athletic, can shoot the ball really well, hustles and plays D, and damn can he score. His only real weakness is that he's not much of a passing floor general for his height, but I think he's definitely won the sixth man job at this point.

Anthony Randolph is a talented guy and his athleticism is amazing but he screws himself over with bad shot selection and not getting his head in the game. He really looks lost sometimes. He needs to man up and stop being a headcase and just do his best to take good shots when he has the chance and defer to a teammate if the opportunity doesn't come. He forces it WAY too much.

I knew Walker would be a great player. His biggest weakness in college was his outside shooting and it seems like he's fixed that. He plays D, he hustles, he's athletic, and...damn it, I think either he or Landry Fields should get the starting SG job. Or be traded for Rudy Fernandez...

Chandler has his moments. He's a consistent scorer but there are some games where he looks like he's in the zone and other games where he looks like he's not really meshing with the team. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

All in all, you have to be pretty happy about how the team's played in these games. We got great production out of our rookies (Landry Fields), great potential shown by our raw players (Douglas, Randolph), and consistent play by our veterans (Amar'e). The X factor now is GALLO - if he can drive to the basket and post up and use the 3-point shot to create space and not as a primary weapon, he can be a VERY effective player. If he doesn't, he's just a bigger version of Kyle Korver. He's got to make a choice.

Felton's been playing well, I knew he would adjust to the system eventually. Felton is solid at PG, Amar'e is amazing at PF, Mozgov is filling in well at C (for certain games it might be a wise idea to place Randolph or Turiaf there, depending on the size and ability of the opposing 4 and 5), and Fields/Walker are playing well at the 2. We've got our sixth man in Douglas and our shooters off the bench in Fields/Walker - now all we need is to make sure Gallo learns how to play ball the NBA way and that Chandler gets the focus and drive to actually WIN

petescud

Starter
I think the scariest thing so far this season is "What if Amare gets hurt" and miss' signifigant time... can we beat anyone if this happens?

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Hey Paul Andy Rauntins isnt a NBA point Guard, never was, sorry to burst your bubble.
Landry Fields can penetrate finish and has good pump fakes. He can shoot the outside ball as well and can rebound being taller.

I'm not judgeing a lot off this game because SOME players on this team are expecting to be traded. rookies playing a lot of mins and Know real point guard on the floor.

Mike D'antoni was trying things out and didnt really care about this one, sense it's the last preseason game of the year.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
i have liked fields since the first preseason practice... he's an old school style knick.. tough and smart. i hope they start him at the sg from here on out. he can key the offense and hopefully free up felton to score more... felton has to get up to about 16 to 18 a game to keep the pressure off stat. same old chandler one good game two bad ones... i don't know why he even showed up last night. and randolph... is there a worse shooter on the team? jezus. we are young and probably going to be up and down all year... but we play hard and aren't the all out clown show we have been the last few years.. i can root for this team.. go knickerbockersssssssssssssssssssssss

Paul1355

All Star
Hey Paul Andy Rauntins isnt a NBA point Guard, never was, sorry to burst your bubble.
Landry Fields can penetrate finish and has good pump fakes. He can shoot the outside ball as well and can rebound being taller.

I'm not judgeing a lot off this game because SOME players on this team are expecting to be traded. rookies playing a lot of mins and Know real point guard on the floor.

Mike D'antoni was trying things out and didnt really care about this one, sense it's the last preseason game of the year.
Rautins played PG at Syracuse in his last year and has been trying out as our 3rd option at PG....and he has failed. SO far the depth chart at PG looks like this:
Felton/Douglas/Mason

Mason played some point in San Antonio

tiger0330

Legend
I think the scariest thing so far this season is "What if Amare gets hurt" and miss' signifigant time... can we beat anyone if this happens?
Shows what paul said about a lack of depth, without Stat the Knicks are a lottery team. Even with him my expectations are a lot lower than a month ago,

I think we will be up and down all year trying to figure it out. Who is going to be our 2nd option, is Mozgov really a starting NBA center, does D'Ants have the players to run SSOL, if he doesn't have the 3pt shooters to run SSOL can he adjust to a different style of play.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I know I'm just saying. Rauntins cant even inbound a ball, passes to quickly at the top of the key, I didnt recognize that andy rauntins. He looked lost, Look I am really hard on the kid and watched every little move last night. I think if he is kept on any team its because he nails down shots and because of his high basketball IQ. I like him when he passes the ball in transition, spots up, and plays team ball. Right now I'm really tuff on the kid. I hope he makes it, but look.... you cant get beat like that on defense and he needs to form more chemistry with his teammates. (IM not a rautins homer) I said all along 50 -50 if he can make it in the NBA. It's wicked early and I might sound like I'm overreacting, but he needs to get into gear to impress me, I think it might be there on a nba level as a third option as of now.

elcol

Rotation player
im sorry but mason is simply not good(anymore?)

bricks shots, can't get assists, i don't think he adds any positive things when he is on the floor.

Let's all be real here, if Amare played 5 more minutes, the knicks would have easily won this game...so far no team has stopped Amare in any way.

Positives:
-Amare, Amare, Amare, this guy is a franchise player, he is unstoppable on offense and makes huge plays that fire up the team and make us start scoring runs...that is what he brings. And one great thing is the guy draws fouls, LOTS of them which is something our team lacked last year. He should average over 25 ppg.
-Felton continues to get used to the system and ease into it more and more. He looks comfortable as suppose to the first couple games were he seemed lost. He knows were Amare is at all times and usually looks to him as the first option. He drives more and his shot is usually consistent...and I liked how he started to play really good once Reggie Evans decked him with a screen...he is a tough little dude.
-Landry Fields is so good that I can honestly see this guy starting over Wilson Chandler at the 2. If Mike D is really all about guys meshing together as certain groups then he would see the great chemistry of Fields and Amare. Those two players fed each other beautifully and they are both smart players exploiting dumb defense that we always see in the NBA. Mike D even mentioned the possibility of starting Fields and making Douglas a sixth man with Chandle probably taking over some SF and PF minutes...sorry Randolph!
-Mozgov is still solid but has his moments with bad fouls and no rebounding, but on offense he is very good and is showing his variety of moves in the post. Bargnani owned him tonight because of his outside shot, but the one time Bargnani drove on Mozgov, the Russian swated the ball so in the post he is solid, he needs to practice rebounding, the outside jumper, and perimeter D, and of course limiting fouls.
-Douglas will get huge minutes, we all know this and if Douglas played against Toronto this game would be different since Rautins was a failure at PG today.
-Ronny Turiaf finally shot a jump shot! And made it! LOL
-I cant believe I am saying this but Mason Jr. was pretty good against Toronto. He has just won the chance to get minutes over Rautins but Walker is over both Mason and Rautins. Mason was more consistent with the outside shot and played good defense with some steals and a nice block. Experience usually prevails.
-Billy Walker's aggressiveness is something we need to see more. He kind of reminds me of Gallo. He has a great shot but over shoots it when he can be so much more effective by driving. What Walker has over Gallo is the athleticism to throw down a monster dunk.
-Knicks offensive transition was good but at times was too aggressive were we wound up running on offense when the ball was not even in the Knicks hands...we have to secure the ball before starting a fast break.
-Randolph was more positive than negative but had his bad moments. Randolph became aggressive at the end of the game and had a fantastic block which he has to do more often. I like seeing Randolph get pumped up, he is huge going forward.

Negatives:
-Horrible passing in this game...Rautins and Chandler were absolutely horrible with passes...and Ronny Turiaf at the point doesn't always work out.
-Rautins sucked...he can't dribble which eliminates him from being a PG on this team. He has good court vision but the lack of ballhandling skills makes the court vision useless. He still misses most of his shots and has to learn to be better off th ball. He will be the odd man out now, I am convinced. Fields, Walker, Mason all have the nod over him at SG.
-Team rebounding again was a failure...Reggie Evans got too many easy rebounds, it was embarrassing.
-Not sure if Ewing Jr. will win the spot over Williams but he might because of his defense.
-Chandler was lost in this game. It is very strange that he was so good the first couple of games and kind of failed in the last few...I think Fields might have proven to Mike D that he is better suited at the SG spot than Chandler who is a pure 3 and a good 4.
-I am still worried about Gallo because if he does not start hitting shots consistently then i dont know what we do next. MIke D won't ever bench him so it will only hurt us if Gallo can't shoot consistently.
-Our bench is not as strong as I thought. Only Walker, Fields, Douglas, and Turiaf will make a difference in games. When Amare and Felton are not on the floor, we struggle overall. We need to fix that to make the playoffs.

STAT will be OK as long as we have guys hitting the open jumper. Least of my worries.

Felton looked to be a little out of shape in early preseason games. I think he'll be ok as long as he stays aggressive. Penetrate and dish or look for the open jumper. He just has to hit them consistently.

Fields Looks great for a rookie, but we cant depend on him for too much.

Mozgov
Looks OK at times and horrible at others. I would hope he strictly concentrates on rebounding and defense. Any offense we get is a bonus. We need 10-12 boards and 2 blocks a game from him...

Turiaf Again his concentration should be strictly rebounding and defense when he's in.

Walker Seems to move too slow IMHO. Nothing is explosive from this guy. Is his previous injury still bothering him?

Randolph
Not being used correctly. No outside shot, bad decision maker on the perimeter. Should be posted on the offensive end only.

Knicks Offense The way Dantoni plays it they'll be fine when the jumpers are falling, they'll be horrible when they arent.

Knicks Defense Not good enough. Anyone notice how some of these guys cant do a simple thing like keep their eyes on the man and the ball at the same time? Watch Gallo's off the ball defense. Its horrible. This is also the reason we dont rebound as well as we could. No one see's their man and the ball so how are they going to box out?

Offensive Rebounding Our bigs are on the perimeter so dont expect many of these.

Overall I think this team could win if the players are allowed to do what they do well. Randolph shooting from the perimeter and our bigs constantly on the perimeter on offense isnt going to cut it. I hope Dantoni realizes this.

Paul1355

All Star
im sorry but mason is simply not good(anymore?)

bricks shots, can't get assists, i don't think he adds any positive things when he is on the floor.

It was a battle between him and Rautins to round out the 12th spot and I think mason won it because he started to finally hit shots consistently and played better defense than I expected...I am not saying Mason is good but he has proven to be better than Rautins were I thought Rautins was always better before.

Mason can heat up, he just has to have a couple good games and then I think he will get rolling. But he is def a streak shooter.

Paul1355

All Star
STAT will be OK as long as we have guys hitting the open jumper. Least of my worries.

Felton looked to be a little out of shape in early preseason games. I think he'll be ok as long as he stays aggressive. Penetrate and dish or look for the open jumper. He just has to hit them consistently.

Fields Looks great for a rookie, but we cant depend on him for too much.

Mozgov
Looks OK at times and horrible at others. I would hope he strictly concentrates on rebounding and defense. Any offense we get is a bonus. We need 10-12 boards and 2 blocks a game from him...

Turiaf Again his concentration should be strictly rebounding and defense when he's in.

Walker Seems to move too slow IMHO. Nothing is explosive from this guy. Is his previous injury still bothering him?

Randolph
Not being used correctly. No outside shot, bad decision maker on the perimeter. Should be posted on the offensive end only.

Knicks Offense The way Dantoni plays it they'll be fine when the jumpers are falling, they'll be horrible when they arent.

Knicks Defense Not good enough. Anyone notice how some of these guys cant do a simple thing like keep their eyes on the man and the ball at the same time? Watch Gallo's off the ball defense. Its horrible. This is also the reason we dont rebound as well as we could. No one see's their man and the ball so how are they going to box out?

Offensive Rebounding Our bigs are on the perimeter so dont expect many of these.

Overall I think this team could win if the players are allowed to do what they do well. Randolph shooting from the perimeter and our bigs constantly on the perimeter on offense isnt going to cut it. I hope Dantoni realizes this.
think we make playoffs?

elcol

Rotation player
randolph needs to get his confidence up, feel sorry for the dude because he is working so hard, drawing quite a few fouls though.

mason...eh i'd take him over andy rautins, rautins just isn't ready for the NBA...or something..as you all have been saying hes had problems so yeah paul, mason > rautins

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Andy Rantins.

Rautins has shown several times why he was not predicted to make the draft. He's not NBA material. His Summer League and pre season performances were a basketball travesty.

I've never seen such a lack of awareness defensively as I saw in an instance with Rautins VS Toronto on a switch. In the 4th quarter of the same game, Rautins caught a loose ball and had literally no idea that there was 2 seconds left on the clock. How does a shooter not know that?

Any suggestions of him becoming a point guard are delusional. No handle, no awareness.

The set play for him against Boston to hit a 3 with 4 seconds left was literally one of the most heinously botched attempts I've seen.

D'Antoni's sniper obsession is the only reason he's put on an NBA jersey. NY, as a result, suffer another poor draft selection.

Rant over.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
with young teams it's hard to predict but right now i'd say more lotto than playoffs. but if the young guys play hard play as a team and improve every night... playoffs is posible

Paul1355

All Star
Rautins has shown several times why he was not predicted to make the draft. He's not NBA material. His Summer League and pre season performances were a basketball travesty.

I've never seen such a lack of awareness defensively as I saw in an instance with Rautins VS Toronto on a switch. In the 4th quarter of the same game, Rautins caught a loose ball and had literally no idea that there was 2 seconds left on the clock. How does a shooter not know that?

Any suggestions of him becoming a point guard are delusional. No handle, no awareness.

The set play for him against Boston to hit a 3 with 4 seconds left was literally one of the most heinously botched attempts I've seen.

D'Antoni's sniper obsession is the only reason he's put on an NBA jersey. NY, as a result, suffer another poor draft selection.

Rant over.
yea but we got a steal in Fields so the selections are balanced...one bad one really good in the mid 2nd round

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Fields is a Stanford guy and I went to some of their summer camps when I was younger. They teach the players to think out on the court rather then let the raw athletism shine through. Haven't seen that much of him, but I'm not at all surprised he seems very well rounded and to be a good backup option possibly even start a couple games.