Knicks Won't Extend Chandler

CoolClyde

Same f*cking sh*t as last year with David Lee. "we want him, but we have to see what happens"...
first the wait for Lebron, now the wait for Melo, and we lose our best players while we wait.
sigh... say goodbye to the 2nd best player on our team.

Every other team is signing their players, but not the Knicks!
oh well... I blame Eddy Curry.

Knicks Won't Extend Chandler

Nov 01, 2010 8:55 AM EST
The Knicks aren't going to give forward Wilson Chandler a contract extension by Monday night's NBA deadline.

"We will wait until the year is over," Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The New York Post.

"It has nothing to do with Wilson. We want him. It has to do with the fact that there will be a new collective bargaining agreement and we are not sure what impact it would have."

Chandler will become a restricted free agent in July.

Via New York Post

walshatwork2.gif

DONNIE WALSH, HARD AT WORK!

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/2/#ixzz145xcFscx

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i still have faith that we resign him, come the offseason we get first dibs on him he'll end up back here. at least thats what im hoping for. he's come out this year just beasting and has really shown he could take that next step

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I like Chandler, he's homegrown, and seems like a nice guy, but it's only been three games. He's been good other seasons, but inconsistent. Hopefully he's consistent all season and we offer a contract to him.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We'll probably offer a contract to him towards the midseason...it's VERY early to offer a contract extension to him because you really don't know who's going to be on this team come 2011

quiggle

Starter
it's not that, Wil pretty much sealed his fate the offseason getting busted for weed. Dolan doesnt like that kind of image being brought to the club, he can be MVP material but out you go if you diss the organization like that.

quiggle

Starter
I don't care if he smokes dishwashing solution, its Dolan that doesnt like negativity bought to the team look what happened to Marv Albert and Gus Johnson because they dont bring the good side of the team to light. see Oakley keep running his mouth Knicks treat him bad woo woo woo thats why you dont see him back here in any form.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Everyone needs to relax and stop hating on Walsh. This is a smart move for the organization. The CBA negotiations are ongoing and no one has any idea what the cap will look like and how existing salaries will impact our flexibility. Waiting until the new contract is signed is by far the best move and I think Chandler understands that. Further it does not hurt to have him feel like he needs to perform all year to earn a nice contract. Win/win.

CoolClyde

trill on

Everyone needs to relax and stop hating on Walsh. This is a smart move for the organization. The CBA negotiations are ongoing and no one has any idea what the cap will look like and how existing salaries will impact our flexibility. Waiting until the new contract is signed is by far the best move and I think Chandler understands that. Further it does not hurt to have him feel like he needs to perform all year to earn a nice contract. Win/win.
actually, that is a voice of reason, Trill. i'd just like to see Knicks offer more than a 1-year contract to a home-grown product (!) before they lose him to free agency. i have to agree with you tho, win/win winston chandler.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
actually, that is a voice of reason, Trill. i'd just like to see Knicks offer more than a 1-year contract to a home-grown product (!) before they lose him to free agency. i have to agree with you tho, win/win winston chandler.

Yea but if we want him we can resign him since he is a RESTRICTED FA.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I don't care if he smokes dishwashing solution, its Dolan that doesnt like negativity bought to the team look what happened to Marv Albert and Gus Johnson because they dont bring the good side of the team to light. see Oakley keep running his mouth Knicks treat him bad woo woo woo thats why you dont see him back here in any form.

Whaaaaat? Theres a reason why players aren't getting extended this season and that is the looming CBA and cap flexibility for Melo. With this uncertainty it would be wise to wait and see what happens (If the cap is lowered or players salaries have to come down.)

As for Gus Johnson not showing the good side of the team you must be high as Wilson as Gus Freaking Johnson annoyingly tried to get fans excited by having seizures and pissing his pants every time our crappy Knicks made a play. Firing Gus Johnson was the best move the Knics have made in years. R.I.P. Gus Johnson the most overrated play by play announcer ever.

On a side note, has anyone had the urge to dress up a "Wilson" brand volleyball put it on a stick give it a bloody smiley face ala Cast Away and yell out "Willlllll-Sooooooon!!!!!!!" every time Chandler makes a decent play, or am I the only one?

nyk_nyk

All Star

Exactly and if I'm not mistaken he'll be a restricted free agent so there's no way we can lose him for nothing unless someone offers him Eddy Curry money.

^^I agree with these above qoutes. It would be foolish to get rid of him, especially knowing how he's improved his game year after year. It would be a crime to get rid of him before getting rid of lesser producing players on the team. that is just poor backwards management...

Bmifsud

Rookie
Because they're waiting until the end of the year, I would hope they either know one of two things:

1. That Chandler's extremely likely to re-sign once the year ends.
2. There's an extremely high chance Melo comes to NY.

I agree with what a few people have said defending Walsh but you have to realize that there IS a way to build a team without sitting and waiting for huge players to come (LeBron, Melo). You sign your players that produce when you have the chance and the team continues to get better. Then, if the timing is right a big name player will come and that will help a lot, but if it doesn't happen at least you're already moving in the right direction.

iJoe

Rotation player
Yea but if we want him we can resign him since he is a RESTRICTED FA.

Yes... I don't see why a few people are mad when the Knicks hold all the chips. Should we be like the Grizz when they bid against themselves and resigned Conley for more money than he'd ever have made in the open market?

Restricted means we can match any offer and theres always the option of the sign and trade to get another great player as well.

Haters will always hate regardless of fact and never try to see both sides. Its like listening to Sportscenter if Glenn Beck were in charge.