The problem isn't in Gallinari

metrocard

Legend
The problem is in how he's being used.

Believe it or not, in terms of ability to getting to the line, Gallinari's skill sets has him ranked behind Amare in this department. Gallo has great time, crafty skills, body control, and aggressiveness to get the free throw line.

The problem? Its the tendency

Gallo has passing skills that we don't get the see because he's always spotting up.

The more Gallo drives, the more dangerous our offense can be which will result in more opportunities there will be for other players.

I'm not giving up on Gallo, I don't know what you expected out of him this season. He's not going to post up 25 ppg, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks or something.

Its only been 8 games. Why are you guys so conditional?

Paul1355

All Star
The problem is in how he's being used.

Believe it or not, in terms of ability to getting to the line, Gallinari's skill sets has him ranked behind Amare in this department. Gallo has great time, crafty skills, body control, and aggressiveness to get the free throw line.

The problem? Its the tendency

Gallo has passing skills that we don't get the see because he's always spotting up.

The more Gallo drives, the more dangerous our offense can be which will result in more opportunities there will be for other players.

I'm not giving up on Gallo, I don't know what you expected out of him this season. He's not going to post up 25 ppg, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks or something.

Its only been 8 games. Why are you guys so conditional?

I blame Mike D for most of the players not performing to their abilities....and Amare should be averaging 26 ppg easy but he is being used wrong, same with Felton.

But Gallinari is different in that the dude has no confidence in himself. He recently said that he will never see himself as a star and at best sees himself as near Dirk in ability because he said that he doesn't have the abilities to be as great as many stars in the league....you don't need athleticism to be great, look at Paul Peirce, the guy runs like a turkey but gets 20 ppg and hits the open shots.

Gallo, i feel needs top of the line coaching to start playing to his strengths. Gallo needs Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley...whoever to school him on how to play basketball, Mike D is only hurting him. So as far as that goes I agree but Gallo has flunked and has been the most inconsistent Knick in the past few years.

If Gallo went from nothing to average then I wouldn't care, but this guy has lite up teams for 30 points with lights out shooting, and then a day later he scores 2 points...who does that besides Gallo?

This shows me he doesn't learn from his mistakes and the coaching is slowing him down from learning his game.

Gallo is doomed on this team. This is why we should trade him, because Mike D will never make him the player we know he can be.

metrocard

Legend
Can we wait till game 20 till we drop Gallo? He is a GOOD player.

I don't think Mike D is that bad as we make him, I don't know why I'm being so optimistic.

I'm very critical, you guys know that. But with experience, comes reward. I feel like our guys will reach full potential.

D'Antoni has a history of bringing the best out of his players.

Paul1355

All Star
Can we wait till game 20 till we drop Gallo? He is a GOOD player.

I don't think Mike D is that bad as we make him, I don't know why I'm being so optimistic.

I'm very critical, you guys know that. But with experience, comes reward. I feel like our guys will reach full potential.

D'Antoni has a history of bringing the best out of his players.

But Metro, have you seen anything different from this year and last year? It's as if the same trend continues to happen. We have a team of strong physical players that are very effective when they post up, drive, and draw fouls, BUT instead we play Mike D's system which is to find the open man outside. When we make the shots we instantly win but usually we miss most of the shots which is why we are ranked 23rd in 3 point shooting. We can go 0 for 30 from 3 and still continue to shoot them, just like last year.

Just like last year, we would have moments with hustle and good defense, then we would lay some eggs and not hustle and not play interior defense like we did last night

And the most sickening thing about nothing changing is our offensive plays in the 4th quarter during close games.

Why did we pass the ball to Wilson Chandler who has two guys in his face for a three when he is not even a consistent three point shooter. Why didn't Amare shoot it when he just sank a three to put the game to 1 point deficit? Why did Gallo throw up a brick with 20 seconds left on the clock? Horrible shot selection continues to haunt this team and the problem is that nothing has changed.

It is the same Mike D type of basketball. He is forcing these players to play his style when it just is not working. We don't have sharp shooters and we are not using the pick and roll which is a HUGE part of Amare's success. So all of this tells me it is on the coach. And when the problems are on the coach, then we are going nowhere.

tiger0330

Legend
I wish Gallo, the team and D'Antoni would get the message esp D'Antoni. Just look at the media, that's all Tripucka and Breen were talking about was the need to drive to the basket more and not settle for 3s and us on this BBS in literally dozens of threads calling for the same thing.

D'Antoni is damn stubborn, I hear other coaches tell their players in the huddles, guys we have to be aggressive and drive to the basket more. D'Ants on the other hand, did you hear him when he was mic'ed up telling Douglas "that's what you do" talking about his 3 pt shot.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
D'Ants on the other hand, did you hear him when he was mic'ed up telling Douglas "that's what you do" talking about his 3 pt shot.

I heard that. Then, when the game was teetering for us, Douglas blindfolds Curry with a quick cross & gets to the hoop for the and 1.

That's what Toney does. He brings a smorgasbord of O and D. The O and the D don't stand for One Dimensional either, Mike.

That's what Gallo can do but he's stuck in a mode. He had a whole year of experimentation as a virtual rookie starter and an off-season to refine his game. He's the same Gallo, he just can't shoot and his decision making has worsened. That and he looks like he wants it less than last year.

Is that in the way he's being used or the way he's approaching being successful?

KingCharles34

All Star
It is too early to give up...I dont like the way the whole team is playing. But i agree that its too early to give up. I have talked alot about the potential of this team. Its a completely new group of players and its gonna take some more time. I must admit I am losing confidence in the cock...its not so much his ability, its his consistency. Even when hes played good (or put up good stats), he does it in spurts. We need players to be consistent throughout the whole game, so far we dont have too many of those. I do think he can make a big impact and the cock can also open things up for other players. But theres maybe only one or two players on the team that dont deserve to be called out. Its not really right to call out one player either, its the team. I'm not writing Gallo or the team off yet, just disappointed with bad shots, lack of consistency, stagnant offense, turnovers, and no defense.

Paul1355

All Star
I wish Gallo, the team and D'Antoni would get the message esp D'Antoni. Just look at the media, that's all Tripucka and Breen were talking about was the need to drive to the basket more and not settle for 3s and us on this BBS in literally dozens of threads calling for the same thing.

D'Antoni is damn stubborn, I hear other coaches tell their players in the huddles, guys we have to be aggressive and drive to the basket more. D'Ants on the other hand, did you hear him when he was mic'ed up telling Douglas "that's what you do" talking about his 3 pt shot.
bro i remember that, what a joke...yea thats what you do toney, go 0 for 7 and keep shooting because thats what u do...shoot bricks...thats what the whole team does

mafra

Legend
To be fair, GALLO is playing with a sore wrist. How severe is the throbbing pain, and what impact that has on his shooting touch? Who knows. But anyone who has played ball will attest to the fact that any sort of discomfort is enough to alter the shot and cause problems.

Gallo is improving in his all-around game. Rebounds, assists and whatnot. BUT, what he is and needs to be is a shooter. A scorer. If his wrist is bothering him, well then he's not 100%.

Gallo is only 22. He might be off all year b/c he's playing through pain. He might even take another year to finally "get it." I wouldn't label him a bust until after the 2012 season.

Will he be here when he fully develops? Will he be elsewhere? Who knows. BUt you can't wrie him off after 8 games this year.

SURE, some say we should have drafted LOPEZ. Personally, I wanted Eric Gordon. This isn't the pick Walsh whiffed on though. The HILL pick and subsequent HOU trade was devastating. Not only did we just miss out on Curry, not only did we pass on Jennings and Lawson, but we then made that terrible deal to shed Jeffries 2010 contract.

I think the best thing for Gallo is to rest for a few weeks. If his wrist is sore... sprained... whatever, then he's not doing any good losing confidence trying to play through the pain.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
:2cents:I think the problem is with Amare and his turnovers. It makes me sick to see him give the ball away so many times trying to be a hero. He needs to stop trying to dribble / pass through double teams and keep shooting his jumper.

When the jumper is not there pass the ball and get in position for a rebound. It is weird to me that he is not a better rebounder with all his speed,power, and athletic ability.

Paul1355

All Star
To be fair, GALLO is playing with a sore wrist. How severe is the throbbing pain, and what impact that has on his shooting touch? Who knows. But anyone who has played ball will attest to the fact that any sort of discomfort is enough to alter the shot and cause problems.

Gallo is improving in his all-around game. Rebounds, assists and whatnot. BUT, what he is and needs to be is a shooter. A scorer. If his wrist is bothering him, well then he's not 100%.

Gallo is only 22. He might be off all year b/c he's playing through pain. He might even take another year to finally "get it." I wouldn't label him a bust until after the 2012 season.

Will he be here when he fully develops? Will he be elsewhere? Who knows. BUt you can't wrie him off after 8 games this year.

SURE, some say we should have drafted LOPEZ. Personally, I wanted Eric Gordon. This isn't the pick Walsh whiffed on though. The HILL pick and subsequent HOU trade was devastating. Not only did we just miss out on Curry, not only did we pass on Jennings and Lawson, but we then made that terrible deal to shed Jeffries 2010 contract.

I think the best thing for Gallo is to rest for a few weeks. If his wrist is sore... sprained... whatever, then he's not doing any good losing confidence trying to play through the pain.

dont use the wrist excuse...one year its his back, then it is his rookie shooting slump, now the wrist, this kid just sucks because he is inconsistent plain and simple and he is extremely over rated

boog7

Rookie
dont use the wrist excuse...one year its his back, then it is his rookie shooting slump, now the wrist, this kid just sucks because he is inconsistent plain and simple and he is extremely over rated

that's true. gallo just doesn't have it. he's an average jump shooter (32% from 3) who offers little more. he can't defend, he's not a great passer, he's a weak rebounder, he doesn't block shots and if he wasn't the son of dantoni's former teammate, he wouldn't even be a knick. it was a bad pick and now we're losing b/c of it.

gallo needs to come off the bench. he can't compete w/ most starting small forwards.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I blame Mike D for most of the players not performing to their abilities....and Amare should be averaging 26 ppg easy but he is being used wrong, same with Felton.

But Gallinari is different in that the dude has no confidence in himself. He recently said that he will never see himself as a star and at best sees himself as near Dirk in ability because he said that he doesn't have the abilities to be as great as many stars in the league....you don't need athleticism to be great, look at Paul Peirce, the guy runs like a turkey but gets 20 ppg and hits the open shots.

Gallo, i feel needs top of the line coaching to start playing to his strengths. Gallo needs Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley...whoever to school him on how to play basketball, Mike D is only hurting him. So as far as that goes I agree but Gallo has flunked and has been the most inconsistent Knick in the past few years.

If Gallo went from nothing to average then I wouldn't care, but this guy has lite up teams for 30 points with lights out shooting, and then a day later he scores 2 points...who does that besides Gallo?

This shows me he doesn't learn from his mistakes and the coaching is slowing him down from learning his game.

Gallo is doomed on this team. This is why we should trade him, because Mike D will never make him the player we know he can be.

No confidence? Gallo said he couldn't be at the level of Lebron. He said he thinks he can play at the level of Dirk. How is that not confident? Dirk is a star. How is comparing yourself to Dirk a bad thing????? Please tell me. Dirk is a future HOF, and your saying that's a bad thing?

iSaYughh

Starter
Lol at the Gallo hate just goin on n on.

If every player was treated like most of KO likes to view Gallo, 90% of NBA players would be cut or heaved into the trash bin before their 3rd season.

Viewing him like some 28yr old journeyman, with no pedigree, and modest skillsets and ceiling. Smh.

He was trashed last yr too by the same people, despite putting up a positively trending 15-5 campaign in his first legit season as a 21yr old.

Maybe he does suck and will flame out. But 90% of people calling for his head are just thrashing at him from the dark.

This mentality is the worst of NYC and it's sports. And why so many NYC franchises never rebuild right and go thru periods of whack ass signings and the like.

He's isnt hurting our team anyways, even if he will be nothing, so the "risk" in playing him is very low. We aren't some cutthroat contender gunning for that title this year. Chandler, fields are making huge strides in tandem and getting quality minutes, etc.

Newsflash: if Gallo just did these simple things his detractors want and expect him to just do...

HE'D BE AN ALLSTAR RIGHT NOW

Sometimes unique high-ceiling players take into their 22nd year to become stalwart star players.

Lenin said: one step backward, two forward.

Seeing that with gallo now. Driving and slashing more. Nailing free throws. Rebounding and passing better and more.

Now his natural "bread and butter", shooting, needs to get back into the front seat to go along with this.

I don't have much faith in D'ant (seems flawed and not a well rounded in-game coach), but Gallo is going to be a revelation.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
No confidence? Gallo said he couldn't be at the level of Lebron. He said he thinks he can play at the level of Dirk. How is that not confident? Dirk is a star. How is comparing yourself to Dirk a bad thing????? Please tell me. Dirk is a future HOF, and your saying that's a bad thing?

The pms'ing wolves are just running with snippets of that quote and convo the reporter had with Gallo, lol.

He just said he couldn't be a superstar, that he defined as being a Lebron, like you said.

This intelligent, and obvious, understanding...if anything...gives more true weight to him saying his potential would be a Dirk.

And if he said he could be as good as anyone, etc, same peeps would be riding his ass even harder. :smokin:

Paul, you agree that Gallo isn't some average player. Like you said, he can single handedly tear a team up...but then put up some pitiful performances.

Just gotta live with that for now, man. He's 22, and is working thru his shit. 1 step back, 2 forward sometimes. Treating him like some 2nd class citizen will just destroy our chances of him being that dude who lights teams up consistently.

I'd rather see this from him than a consistently mediocre player and performer anyways! We need special players. And we can take a flyer on Gallo being one right now. He isn't really damaging the franchise, even if he doesn't put it together this year.

I'd be most concerned about D'ant and D'ant alone.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Lol at the Gallo hate just goin on n on.

If every player was treated like most of KO likes to view Gallo, 90% of NBA players would be cut or heaved into the trash bin before their 3rd season.

Viewing him like some 28yr old journeyman, with no pedigree, and modest skillsets and ceiling. Smh.

He was trashed last yr too by the same people, despite putting up a positively trending 15-5 campaign in his first legit season as a 21yr old.

Maybe he does suck and will flame out. But 90% of people calling for his head are just thrashing at him from the dark.

This mentality is the worst of NYC and it's sports. And why so many NYC franchises never rebuild right and go thru periods of whack ass signings and the like.

He's isnt hurting our team anyways, even if he will be nothing, so the "risk" in playing him is very low. We aren't some cutthroat contender gunning for that title this year. Chandler, fields are making huge strides in tandem and getting quality minutes, etc.

Newsflash: if Gallo just did these simple things his detractors want and expect him to just do...

HE'D BE AN ALLSTAR RIGHT NOW

Sometimes unique high-ceiling players take into their 22nd year to become stalwart star players.

Lenin said: one step backward, two forward.

Seeing that with gallo now. Driving and slashing more. Nailing free throws. Rebounding and passing better and more.

Now his natural "bread and butter", shooting, needs to get back into the front seat to go along with this.

I don't have much faith in D'ant (seems flawed and not a well rounded in-game coach), but Gallo is going to be a revelation.

word!! well put isiah. i agree. and, nice thread metro. :thumbsup:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

Gallinari is in his 3rd season, and he's shooting 35% from the field. He's yet to have a season where he shot over 43%, except his rookie year.

He's 6"10 and has no post up game. His driving ability is below average, and his shooting ability is Quentin Richardson-like.

:agreed: