please tell me where is the pick and roll

moneyg

Starter
i think our problem on offense is that if we are not hitting our 3pters we are way to predictable

the pick and roll has been around since the begining of the game and still remains the hardest play to defend.

in phoenix O'antoni used it with nash.. or better yet nash used it on his own..

can somebody give me an honest reason why our coach does use it.

we cant balme felton cuz he used it with the bobcats under larry brown and was successful

not only are we not using it.. we are not doing a good job of defending it as well

i was watchin last night game when even the clippers announcers were stunned as well at half time... they assume O'antoni would use it more in the secound half.. but no dice... this is very concerning

even if we had a player like a tyson chandler or marc gasol... these players are not good offensively without the p & r..

what is this guy doing?????

tiger0330

Legend
Amare doesn't set a very good pick, wonder how Nash and him were so successful with it. I agree the PnR gets you some of those easy points that Amare has been talking about but the Knicks have been scoring a ton of points without it.

Let's see if it lasts but the ball movement has gotten them more open looks and I assume the shooting % has improved because of it. I still think D is where you need to hang your hat, NO has that great record because of their D not their O.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
our offense is focused more around the post now were not running it as much the system looks different- theres a thread of it real interesting

We are running a new offense it highlights great ball movement starting at the top of the key. We see alot of hand offs from Turiaf and alot more cutting between Gallo and fields. Also Amare is passing straight out the double earlier and taking his man when he gets a chance. ANd i can't forget Felton who is having a Allstar year last night he went 17pts 7ast 7stl that's NUMBERS.

Kiyaman

Legend
Amare's 23-8 movement on the court is starting to remind me of
Harrington's 20-6 movement on the court.

I dont recall any pick n rolls by Duhon & Harrington, I do recall alot
of pick n rolls off of broken plays by Duhon n Lee.
I dont recall many pick n rolls by Felton & Okafor, or Felton & Chandler,
or Felton & Nazr (Marbury & Nazr gave us alot of pick n rolls).

Toons

is the Bo$$
Amare's 23-8 movement on the court is starting to remind me of
Harrington's 20-6 movement on the court.

I dont recall any pick n rolls by Duhon & Harrington, I do recall alot
of pick n rolls off of broken plays by Duhon n Lee.
I dont recall many pick n rolls by Felton & Okafor, or Felton & Chandler,
or Felton & Nazr (Marbury & Nazr gave us alot of pick n rolls).

Co-sign....once again, i say, F-U-C-K the pick and roll, we have players capable of doing things better than a dumb pnr.....the pnr works well as a surprise.....not a main offensive scheme, nash was just able to surprise the defense with the pass from any angle. We are better than being a ''david lee/duhon'' that relies on an ald ass highschoiol play for points.

moneyg

Starter
The p and r is needed. I c way to many half court problems with us. It forces teams to d up. It wears down opponents. Forces the defense to go oveer top of screans which creates fouls and put teams in the penalty early. Also the nothin like hammering a guy with a pick. That's ny knicks ball. For those that think it a simple bs play, your wrong. It takes practice to master. It all about fundamentals and a lot of our players lack that. Tel me one championship level team other than the triangle lakers that does not execute the p and r.

Toons

is the Bo$$
The p and r is needed. I c way to many half court problems with us. It forces teams to d up. It wears down opponents. Forces the defense to go oveer top of screans which creates fouls and put teams in the penalty early. Also the nothin like hammering a guy with a pick. That's ny knicks ball. For those that think it a simple bs play, your wrong. It takes practice to master. It all about fundamentals and a lot of our players lack that. Tel me one championship level team other than the triangle lakers that does not execute the p and r.

Setting effective screens do the same thing, a pick and pop can work even better with gallo setting a screen on a pg. Pick and roll is a SIMPLE PLAY. Its an elementary basketball play.

San Antonio....pick n piop
New Orleans....alley-oop/pick n pop
Miami.....no picks needed
Boston....pick n pop, nice dimes from rondo
Dallas.....does dirk know what a pick is?

none of the elite teams focus on pnr smarty.....come to think of it.
Most of them are pick and pop teams that have a nice shooting big man.
No one makes the PnR the start all, end all of their offense....because they will end up like the 30 win knicks.
The pnr takes time to set up, if it isnt executed, you have guys in the wrong space to set up another good look, our team and the pnr will never work as a main go to play. It will be sprinkles of pnr here and there. Until i see it being successful, f--- the pnr

moneyg

Starter
Setting effective screens do the same thing, a pick and pop can work even better with gallo setting a screen on a pg. Pick and roll is a SIMPLE PLAY. Its an elementary basketball play.

San Antonio....pick n piop
New Orleans....alley-oop/pick n pop
Boston....pick n pop, nice dimes from rondo
Dallas.....does dirk know what a pick is?

none of the elite teams focus on pnr smarty.....come to think of it.
Most of them are pick and pop teams that have a nice shooting big man.
No one makes the PnR the start all, end all of their offense....because they will end up like the 30 win knicks.
The pnr takes time to set up, if it isnt executed, you have guys in the wrong space to set up another good look, our team and the pnr will never work as a main go to play. It will be sprinkles of pnr here and there. Until i see it being successful, f--- the pnr

umm nobady is ayin run the pick and roll evrytime down the court.. but it should be part of your arsenal

furthermore..

tony parker and ducan run the pick and roll
nash and stat ran the pick and roll
rondos run the pick and roll with all his bigs
chris paul runs the pick and roll
jammer and dwight run the pick and roll

its what made stckton and karll malone so great.. nobody could stop it.. id take them over felton and stat running that play down people throat.

oh yeah.. NO's alley oop is off a pick and roll..

i dont even see any of our players setting picks as much as they should except for turiaf

but aslo we can even defend it...

moneyg

Starter

Also, If u watched the Miami game last night.. nba tv specifically pointed out miami uses the hight pick and roll.... the reason why they got beat is because the pacers went under the screen instead of over it and forced miami into jumpshots that they did not make... utah runs it as well with d. williams.. all the sucessful teams are good at it..

sorry... just the facts

Teams look like they know what's coming.. Everytime I see Amare set the pick there's always another man coming over immediately to stick with him and prevent the pass for an easy dunk.

Toons

is the Bo$$
umm nobady is ayin run the pick and roll evrytime down the court.. but it should be part of your arsenal

furthermore..

tony parker and ducan run the pick and roll
nash and stat ran the pick and roll
rondos run the pick and roll with all his bigs
chris paul runs the pick and roll
jammer and dwight run the pick and roll

its what made stckton and karll malone so great.. nobody could stop it.. id take them over felton and stat running that play down people throat.

oh yeah.. NO's alley oop is off a pick and roll..

i dont even see any of our players setting picks as much as they should except for turiaf

but aslo we can even defend it...

yes Moneyg, Its paul, and hes annoying the shit out of me.....real box score fan.
I agree, it should be a part of your arsenal. And amare and felton have run it a couple well times....just not every play. a high screen is not a pick n roll. dont get picks, screens or whatever mixed up with the one play, Pick n Roll.

The spurs dont use PnR as their main offensive tool. They play on the block. Duncan is a back to basket player that uses his post moves to score. He isnt dependant on a Pick n pass.
No rondo dosent, their whole team just runs mad screens all day. Iv never seen shaq or KG set a pick n roll for the season. maybe i havnt watched enough celts games. NO had the alley oop off the pick when they had tyson chandler....not anymore. Dwight scores off the block using post moves as well. Stockton and Malone were impossible to defend because they are stockton and malone, not because of a pick n roll. the pick n roll didnt make them hall of famers, the hall of famers made the pick n roll look easy.

moneyg

Starter
:update:and now we have it....

FINALLY.... the pick and roll...

Last night against the Nets.. we pick and rolled them into submission...

stat had 35

and even though lopez had 36 .. we kept him off the boards with only 5 rebounds..

now avery is know for his defense and they just could not stop the felton and stat tandem.

now i feel better....

Toons

is the Bo$$
indeed, the pick n roll was used sparingly though, they didnt pnr them into submission. Thats the way to use the pnr. If our shooters keep knocking down shots, we will have the floor more spaced out to make the pnr a bit more crisp. The high screen is killing opponents too.

GO KNICKS!

moneyg

Starter
indeed, the pick n roll was used sparingly though, they didnt pnr them into submission. Thats the way to use the pnr. If our shooters keep knocking down shots, we will have the floor more spaced out to make the pnr a bit more crisp. The high screen is killing opponents too.

GO KNICKS!

yeah they did...its what blew the game open..

i watch every minute of it and the announcers and writers agreed too..

read below

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...s_new_york_knicks_use_big_3rd_quarter_to.html

Who knows what the rivalry would look like today if either the Knicks or Nets had come out of July with LeBron James.
Both were hard-luck losers in the LeBron derby, but it's safe to say the Knicks' consolation prizes are slightly better than what the Nets have to show for themselves.
Amar'e Stoudemire and Raymond Felton, the Knicks' two biggest free-agent signings, overwhelmed the Nets Tuesday night at the Garden and now they have just as many victories as James does.
"It's not just me, gentlemen," Stoudemire told reporters following the Knicks 111-100 victory. "It's a team effort. But it does help to have a marquee player."
The Knicks, winners of seven of their last eight, improved to 10-9 and are above .500 this late in the season for the first time in six seasons. The Nets, who lost Devin Harris to a knee injury in the second half, are 6-12.
"We are a work in progress," Stoudemire added. "We are a young team. It's just a matter of us getting better."
The Stoudemire-Felton tandem is growing with each game. Tuesday night, they picked and rolled the Nets into submission in the decisive third quarter. The Knicks outscored the Nets 33-15 in the period with Stoudemire scoring 12 and Felton eight.
Stoudemire finished with 35 points and nine rebounds and essentially played Nets center Brook Lopez to a draw. Lopez scored a game-high 36, including 21 in the first half.
Felton added 21 points, 10 assists and came within three rebounds of a triple-double. It was a significant performance for a reason. For years, Jason Kidd didn't just beat the Knicks, he laughed in their faces and turned Madison Square Garden into his own playground.
Felton doesn't have Kidd's flair or Hall of Fame credentials but at least for now the Knicks can say they have the best point guard in the rivalry. The turning point Tuesday night came when Harris was knocked out of the game as teammate Kris Humphries landed on top of Harris after failing to block Wilson Chandler's shot.
Harris limped into the locker room and wasn't around as Felton knocked out the rest of the Nets. Felton's floater started a 14-2 Knicks run that put them ahead 77-67. During a 41-second stretch, Felton converted a runner in the lane, picked Anthony Morrow clean at midcourt to score on a layup and then fed Stoudemire for a dunk. It was Kidd-esque.
"He's a tough kid," Mike D'Antoni said of Felton. "In the third he kind of gave us separation."
The other key was the play of Chandler, who started at power forward with Ronny Turiaf sidelined with a knee injury. Chandler was quicker to double-team Lopez in the second half and it frustrated the Nets center. Most of Lopez's eight field goals in the first half were from close range but in the third quarter Lopez couldn't find an opening and had one more basket (three) than turnovers (two).
"They threw the kitchen sink at him," Nets coach Avery Johnson said. "They sent the whole team and we just didn't make good decisions on the perimeter."
Chandler was superb on both ends, scoring 27 points on 9-for-15 shooting with 11 rebounds and three blocked shots. The Knicks entered the fourth quarter leading 88-73, which was enough of a cushion for D'Antoni to give Stoudemire a rest. But with Bill Walker and Timofey Mozgov unable to provide much of anything, D'Antoni went back to his starters after the Nets scored five straight points to open the period.
Jordan Farmar's 3-pointer cut the Knicks' lead to 95-87 but Chandler answered with a driving layup and Stoudemire added two free throws.
"We are starting to get our chemistry down," Stoudemire said. "Ray and I are starting to figure out the pick-and-roll and we have great shooters. Teams are going to have to pick their poison."

p0nder

Starter
Lots of pick n roll action last night. it was great to see it getting used. I'm glad to see that they are not just rolling amar'e but chandler, gallo and others. mozgov is really in need of development and walker has been a disappointment since summer league, I hope they can grow this season and I hope that azzy comes back healthy soon, to give us that extra depth at the 2.

Turiaf is missed big time when he is out. We need someone else at the 5/4 to get him time off.