The Verdict is in...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The verdict is in...that other thread was premature, reactionary and trash! No offense Red but the 5 game winning streak proves what I was saying...it was way to premature to call the season.

We are playing the best ball in years, the 3's are down the defense is up and all the prejudices about D'ants system are being proven wrong. The season is long and will will have our ups and downs but the system is working. We are dare I say it...an elite defensive team!
Felton is on his way to a career year under D'ant, Amare could be on his way to defensive player of the year and Gallo is turning into an all around threat. So much for the haterz...

clumsy

Rotation player
haha ya ill admit i had a knee jerk reaction.

I don't care tho cuz we are winning. I only have one more criticism of the system...we need to slow it down when we have a giant lead. Or remember there really isn't a need to take 3's with 14 seconds on the clock up 20. Tho we have been keeping our poise and good enough defensive pressure to pull these games out,

i feel like i'm aging rapidly watching this team. that said go knicks!!

jzero29

Rotation player
So far

The verdict is in...that other thread was premature, reactionary and trash! No offense Red but the 5 game winning streak proves what I was saying...it was way to premature to call the season.

We are playing the best ball in years, the 3's are down the defense is up and all the prejudices about D'ants system are being proven wrong. The season is long and will will have our ups and downs but the system is working. We are dare I say it...an elite defensive team!
Felton is on his way to a career year under D'ant, Amare could be on his way to defensive player of the year and Gallo is turning into an all around threat. So much for the haterz...
It's early yet to say it's a success. It seems that as raymond felton goes, so goes the knicks, he has been key on win streak, but losing streak culprit...creating only for self and chucking up bad shots...so what happens now when he has another bad game scoring? I still think he needs to create for team more and first, then become productive himself offensively. how many good games vs bad does he have.

same with shooters, we're hitting the 3 pretty good right now...during the losing streak we weren't...what will be the norm?

both felton and shooters have played well answering my critisms. but canthey keep it up? The shooters have been taking turns playing well, which is good sign. But who picks up feltons bad game?(when he has one as all players do)

haha ya ill admit i had a knee jerk reaction.

I don't care tho cuz we are winning. I only have one more criticism of the system...we need to slow it down when we have a giant lead. Or remember there really isn't a need to take 3's with 14 seconds on the clock up 20. Tho we have been keeping our poise and good enough defensive pressure to pull these games out,

i feel like i'm aging rapidly watching this team. that said go knicks!!
Some sloppy play and bad decisions lead to to many turn overs we need to execute and take time when we have huge leads.

not to mention we only have played 2 teams, that don't have a losing record, most of our wins are against basment teams, our 2 good wins, GS(7-7) and the bulls(7-5)
Some of our loses were to the dreggs of the league...phili, minn, houston.
but bigg win against charlotte, they are the type of team we need to beat to make playoffs, because they'll be right there also. need to avenge milwake, phil ... stay strong against washington...

Atlanta, big test. they are a playoff team from last year.

Last edited:

elcol

Rotation player
jzero: felton is top 10 in assists in the nba this season,
does anyone else think that feltons shot selection is phenomenally good?, this guy usually refuses to take a three with anyone at least 5 feet away from him

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Beating the team that will likely be our most contested rivals for the #7 and #8 spots in the East in a home-and-home series is HUGE.

This team won 11 games on the road all of last year...they've already got six this year. Keep it up and...well...

jzero29

Rotation player
jzero: felton is top 10 in assists in the nba this season,
does anyone else think that feltons shot selection is phenomenally good?, this guy usually refuses to take a three with anyone at least 5 feet away from him
during the losing streak his shot selection was aweful
and
his assist numbers are basically from when guys hit outside shots. not his awesome creativeness.
I know he's played well last couple games,
don't mean to knit pick, but he's not top ten according to NBA.com
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Assists.jsp
he is 12th right now at 11:30pm..don't know about tonights stats.

granted felton has played better, forcing less and doing some more creating during the win streak...but his post game interview he said, he likes to get himself going then it opens up for others...I simply think PG's should be get my guys going first type guys. it is just a concern, when he starts off bad, then keeps trying to get himself going...the rest of the team will suffer(6 game losing streak). He's only 1 guy. Get your guys going 1st, then they don't depend on your personal scoring to play well

iSaYughh

Starter
FYI. This thread isn't about declaring the season some smashing success; that would be similar, but not as bad, as the countless other threads labeling the season an epic failure.

Now people change the tune. But they shouldn't change tune "just" because of the wins recently. It should be for the same reasons that some predicted these wins to come, based off of fundamental observation, knowledge of history, and a little conjecture (re: D'antoni, and really Gallo above all else.)

Anyways, Felton does hit nice passes. A lot of them. And other teams have to respect his speed and versatile ability to score in his own right. This helps teammates get such nice looks at times; but it's just not true that he docent create nice passes and opportunities.

Last night he (quickly) checked down to Amare down low, and FLUNG him a precision pass for the easy bucket. It was at a key juncture in Charlotte Game#1.

You can win (titles) with Raymond. He has winner in him.

A PG who can so consistently have the ability to "get all his guys going", at the perfect times, and always be ready to take over and be in sync himself....Of course, that's ideal.

But it's like if Felton doesn't play like CP3 or Nash in yr1 here he has some fatal flaw. Fwiw, it took to Nash's 2nd D'ant season to truly break out and get comfortable. His first season he had a career yr of progression, not unlike Felton has now.

petescud

Starter
I'm excited and digging our team, though, is it a NY thing or what. We are winning all game and then at the end we praying to pull it out, as the other team always catches up. My son says the guys are tired from running all game, under dantoni's run and gun

jzero29

Rotation player
There are areas of feltons style that need to improve.
He is not great as is.
Admittedly i've seen the potential
but he wont have a good shooting night every game.

I never said he never gets nice passes. I just said the majority are to spot up shooters as opposed to felton creating havock with penetration. I'd like to see the other way. More easy lay ups due to his breaking down the defense,

Just like the defense has been good. But they need to reboound better on defense.
they are playing well, can play better. felton is playing well can play better
get it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's early yet to say it's a success. It seems that as raymond felton goes, so goes the knicks, he has been key on win streak, but losing streak culprit...creating only for self and chucking up bad shots...so what happens now when he has another bad game scoring? I still think he needs to create for team more and first, then become productive himself offensively. how many good games vs bad does he have.

Read my post again. I did not say the verdict is in on this team because that would mean I am committing the same mistake as many did in the other thread. The point is we are playing really well and it's clear D'ant made some smart adjustments. My other point is that the many people who gave up on the season and system did so without giving it an adequate chance. That said, I am sure we will have some struggles this year but I have been predicting since summer league that we will make the playoffs.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, J you are saying that Ray is getting assists because he is passing to outside shooters. So? The reason they are open has a lot to do with his ability to penetrate and our ability to move the ball. The fact he is hitting open shooters means our offense is working as intended.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Grain of Salt kids, 5 games is nice but again I stress the lack of execution in the fourth quarter. Knicks developing some bad habits that could easily have lost these last 2 games. Gallo came back down to earth but fortunately others stepped up. Hitting free throws at the end was big STAT Gallo and Felt all made theirs to seal this one.

Am I the only one who noticed but Gallo needs to work on his D. Douglas and Gallo are letting guys blow by them, one of the reasons why we gave up the lead and STAT got 6 blocks this game was poor defense which allowed too much penetration. This team still has a long ways to go. Other then that we are back at .500 and can't complain as we are on track for the playoffs baby!

Sage

Rotation player
Not convinced yet, way early to say the Knicks are doing well. Giving up 16-19 point leads in the 4th has to be of concern.

I'll absolutely admit the Knicks are on the right track, but defence and closing out games is going to be the difference. Everyone knows it's defence that wins games, not making sure that your 100+ points scored is going to be greater than their 100+ points scored.

Red

TYPE-A

I wouldn't necessarily say trash, it was a good debat thread, til it got personal.

But, I think a point could be made that we've already proven that we have talent right? That was why I started the "We are starting to come together" thread.

Throughout the summer and pre-season I think we agreed that we had enough talent to compete.

The verdict was if we have talent, can MDA's system and coaching produce a competitive team and wins. And how much rope will we give him.

As we debated we (some of us) agreed that the bag of excuses (the verdict) is empty and we have to hold MDA accountable... and we are.

But this thread is just as "reactionary" as the other with the exception of the motives.

I agree we look good and MDA looks better, like with the Football Giants, the next step is consistency

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I wouldn't necessarily say trash, it was a good debat thread, til it got personal.

But, I think a point could be made that we've already proven that we have talent right? That was why I started the "We are starting to come together" thread.

Throughout the summer and pre-season I think we agreed that we had enough talent to compete.

The verdict was if we have talent, can MDA's system and coaching produce a competitive team and wins. And how much rope will we give him.

As we debated we (some of us) agreed that the bag of excuses (the verdict) is empty and we have to hold MDA accountable... and we are.

But this thread is just as "reactionary" as the other with the exception of the motives.

I agree we look good and MDA looks better, like with the Football Giants, the next step is consistency

You're right it wasn't really trash as we had a good debate. The only thing that was trash was claiming the verdict was already in. I also found some of the other posters negativity and gloating about our poor play trash. This thread was meant to be ironic, not reactionary.

smokes

Huge Member
It's great that we are winning right now. Long may it continue. I just hope this isn't gonna be like December last year where we had a great month then it all went back to crap.

Two things though, isn't it still fair to call D'antonis "system" trash? At least the system has been adjusted severely enough that we aren't playing the same style of ball we were 2 weeks ago (which was trash).

Also we aren't really an elite defensive team. We are great at blocked shots and that's about it. Nice improvement over last year but still a loooooong way to go on that end of the floor before we can hang with the big boys.

Even so, it's great we are on the up and up and at least some credit does go to D'antoni for finally switching things up and getting us playing winning ball.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
BTW, J you are saying that Ray is getting assists because he is passing to outside shooters. So? The reason they are open has a lot to do with his ability to penetrate and our ability to move the ball. The fact he is hitting open shooters means our offense is working as intended.

j obviously doesn't understand the game of basketball or our offense very well. You are giving him the help he needs though. You have alot of patience trill..

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

oh god!! why don't you just admit that your "the verdict is in" thread was idiotic?? then you backtracked with the "we are starting to come together as a team thread", or whatever it was named..

these are two completely contradicting premises by the way.. do you need me to tell you this?? cause you should already kno.

trill,

i think you shoulda slightly modified the title so as not to be making a similar foul. i think we still need to see more from our team.

the verdict will be in at the end of our season. period.

Last edited: