Fields Named EC Rookie Of The Month

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Knicks' Landry Fields named Eastern Conference rookie of the month ?
BY FRANK ISOLA

Donnie Walsh didn't bring LeBron James to New York but it's starting to look like the Knicks president had a solid offseason.

Amar'e Stoudemire and Raymond Felton are both solid pick-ups and the biggest surprise thus far has been rookie Landry Fields, who was drafted 39th overall last June.
gal_knicks-4.jpg

On Wednesday, Fields was named Eastern Conference rookie of the month. He ranks fourth among rookies in scoring (10.8 ppg), second in rebounding (7.1 rpg), eighth in assists (1.6 apg) and second in field goal percentage (.544). Fields has started all 19 games for the Knicks this season and he leads all NBA guards in rebounds.

The Knicks have had a recent good run of late picks; Isiah Thomas drafted Trevor Ariza in the second round and selected David Lee with the last pick of the first round. Last season, Walsh purchased the Lakers first round pick and used it to select Toney Douglas.

Scouting and player development are under-rated aspects of building a team. Yes, Walsh missed on Brandon Jennings last season but he's drafted solid role players that make a team complete.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/12/knicks-landry-fields-named-eas.html#ixzz16vkhvffB

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Isn't it funny that, prior to the pre-season, the talk of our second round selections was Rautins, who can't play worth a damn? Rautins even had newspaper articles written about him, and Fields was 'the other guy.'

Now, he's looking like he should have been a lottery pick: strong, crafty, athletic, solid 3rd or 4th option player.

Do you guys think we would have been wise enough to give Fields playing time in summer league and pre-season and then keep him, if we had first round picks, considering how many second round picks are viewed, in contrast with first rounder?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Isn't it funny that, prior to the pre-season, the talk of our second round selections was Rautins, who can't play worth a damn? Rautins even had newspaper articles written about him, and Fields was 'the other guy.'

Now, he's looking like he should have been a lottery pick: strong, crafty, athletic, solid 3rd or 4th option player.

Do you guys think we would have been wise enough to give Fields playing time in summer league and pre-season and then keep him, if we had first round picks, considering how many second round picks are viewed, in contrast with first rounder?

He showed his skills in summer camp so I think he would have earned a spot either way. (unless our 1st rounder was somehow dominant and overshadowed everything)

mafra

Legend
I remember being perplexed when we heard FIELDS being announced... WHO?

BUt look at us now. You see, it's not only I-Thomas who can draft. Walsh struck gold with Douglas-Fields.

Imagine if we had Lopez-Jennings to go with them? Just kiding.... Sort of.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
boy was i infuriated with this pick way back when. i was screaming at the top of my lungs and calling walsh names in both arabic and english( they werent pleasant words ). but i must say im glad to be taking back my words this kid is a genius on the court and gets better with seemingly every touch he gets.

:beer: to donnie for this diamond of a find, we needed on of those finds and we got it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah I remember being pissed as hell as well - we drafted some scrub PG withi no potential out of Syracuse and a no-name out of Stanford but...man, Walsh struck gold.

This is why 2nd round picks ARE important.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Yeah I remember being pissed as hell as well - we drafted some scrub PG withi no potential out of Syracuse and a no-name out of Stanford but...man, Walsh struck gold.

This is why 2nd round picks ARE important.

he's going to be up there with all the best 2nd rounders of all time, that includes Ginobli, Boozer, Arenas, Redd, Ellis etc.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Landry Fields

One of the great things about Fields is that he puts up his impressive numbers without interfering with the strengths of the rest of the "team." He complements everyone; he is no prima donna, and he makes very few mistakes. He is a consummate team player. He provides a synergy which increases his real value well above his impressive numbers.

Although Melo is an absolute stud on offense, I question the extent to which he and Amar'e would complement each other. We should do everything we can to hang on to Fields.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
He showed his skills in summer camp so I think he would have earned a spot either way. (unless our 1st rounder was somehow dominant and overshadowed everything)

It's probably good we didn't get a first-rounder; otherwise, we likely would have waived Fields, a second-rounder, and missed out on this solid player.

With a first-rounder on our roster, he might not even have gotten playing time in summer league or pre-season, without which he could not have shown his skills and earned a spot on the team.

Without Fields, we're definitely not a .500+ team.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
One of the great things about Fields is that he puts up his impressive numbers without interfering with the strengths of the rest of the "team." He complements everyone; he is no prima donna, and he makes very few mistakes. He is a consummate team player. He provides a synergy which increases his real value well above his impressive numbers.

Although Melo is an absolute stud on offense, I question the extent to which he and Amar'e would complement each other. We should do everything we can to hang on to Fields.

Oldtimer >

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's to the point where I think Fields is a keeper...I don't want to see him traded.

I'll give up Chandler/Douglas/Walker before Fields...

jpz17

Starter
well deserved. he may not drop 30 every night, but he doesn't have to. he gets the job done, and that is amazing for his age. imagine him next year?

CoolClyde

Roy

LandROY Fields. i'll say it again. LandROY!

with N8 and DLEE gone, he has assumed the role of favorite Knick.
the smartest cookie on the team.
Clyde Jr.
ROYalty

CONGRATULATIONS MRS. FIELDS!

knicksin60

Starter
Landry Fields > Gordon Hayward

I thought the 2010 first round give away by Isiah would come back to bite the Knicks but so far it hasn't.