'Melo Update: Execs Convinced Nets have 0 chance.

mafra

Legend
ROTOWORLD

"League executives are becoming more convinced that Carmelo Anthony would not agree to a contract extension with the Nets, according to CBSSports' Ken Berger.

No team will trade for Anthony unless he is willing to sign an extension. And if the Knicks are the only team Melo wants to play for, they have little reason to trade for him. Anthony can just let his contract with Denver run out and then go sign in New York."

--------------

* As we close in on Dec. 15, when numerous free agents signed over the summer become trade-eligible, rival executives have privately started wondering if the Heat would consider parting with one of their Big Three if it meant fielding a more complete team. The face-saving option to trade and the most easily obtainable, executives say, would be Chris Bosh. In fact, one executive speaking on condition of anonymity wondered how it would alter Denver's reluctance to trade Carmelo Anthony if the Heat offered a package centered around Bosh. The Nuggets, according to the executive, might prefer an established star in the low post as opposed to Derrick Favors, an unproven rookie. It's fun speculation, but highly unlikely. Aside from the embarrassment associated with breaking up the ballyhooed Big Three in Miami, the rub would be cost; executives continue to believe that if Denver deals Anthony and/or Chauncey Billups before the February deadline, it will be in a major cost-cutting deal.

* Meanwhile, as the Melo turns, executives are becoming more convinced that Anthony would not agree to an extension with the Nets -- a stance that could kill New Jersey's months-long bid for the superstar once and for all. Having attended a recent Nets game in Newark, which might as well be Russia as far as native New Yorker Anthony is concerned, I concur. Melo is interested in starring in a Broadway show -- or a nearby, off-Broadway equivalent. Had the Nets' move to Brooklyn not been sabotaged by lawsuits and New York City government paralysis, that would've made a huge difference. But Newark is Newark, and I believe Melo is headed elsewhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26175028

knicksin60

Starter
I'm so sick and tired of the N.J. Nets being made into a front runner when it comes to free agent superstars.

What is the media's fascination with this terrible team? They are the L.A. Clippers of the East yet people assume that the best players in the NBA are dying to sign with them.

How does a 12-70 team, in which a broken down Tracy McGrady didn't want to have anything to do with, become the front runner for Lebron James, Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony in the span of 6 months?

Does the media really hate James Dolan so much that they make up stories just because they'd rather fantasize about the Nets becoming a championship contender before the Knicks?

The next thing we will hear is how Kevin Durant will consider joining the Nets in the future because of how impressed he was with the Nets taking the Thunder to overtime.

Last edited:

petescud

Starter
Thanks for the entertaining media. I do believe though that Melo gets dealt by the deadline. I can't see Denver just letting him walk at the end of the year. My problem is i don't want to give up too many players to get him...I'd do Curry and a combo of some of these guys Randolph/Walker/Gallo/Mozgov/Mason/Williams and a Pick. I think we keep our chemistry this way. Of course we'd have to grab another center somewhere

I think Denver will fare better then what i offer though....

I do not want Fields included in any trade

I think Den will be forced to deal with the Knicks based on us winning, and becoming even more attractive to Melo, and his steadfast stance on not resigning the ext unless its here. He already said he would be willing to play the season out- translation: not resigning. The worst thing that happened to Den is the Knicks feeling like they can win now... The more we win, the worse it gets for them and they know it. With each win, they lose leverage. Thier only hope was us suckin.

Fields, Chandler and curry will be the package probably. They fit the way Karl likes to play, and cost nada. We are a championship team with Melo right now.

felton
Azi/douglas/mason/walker
Gallo
Melo
Stat

Gotta do it

clumsy

Rotation player
Not too hype would really rather steal Marc Gasol Next year. I just don't see how long term he really makes the Knicks all that much better. He is a substantial upgrade over Wilson Chandler, but then who comes off the bench. We still would have Interior D Problems as Mosgov is a fouling machine and turiaf is prone.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Melo has already stated that he wouldn't leave Denver hanging the way LeBron did.

If the Knicks keep on winning odds are Denver's going to have to agree to a pretty bad deal...Chandler + Rautins + Curry + Walker, or something like that, maybe...I like Chandler, but I think he's expendable with Carmelo Anthony here.

He's not going to the Nets. I agree...why the hell are people so high on the Nets being frontrunners for him when they're terrible? They play in Newark and there's no incentive for anyone to go there, nobody goes to their games...etc.

And the Heat are not trading for Carmelo Anthony, period.

Is there anyway the Knicks could trade for Melo and sign Marc Gasol? Even with Melo, the Knicks would still have no big man. If you got Gasol though, you are talking about a seriously good team.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Is there anyway the Knicks could trade for Melo and sign Marc Gasol? Even with Melo, the Knicks would still have no big man. If you got Gasol though, you are talking about a seriously good team.

that team would have me salivating.

felton
fields
melo
amare
gasol

Looking at Memphis' Salaries, its pretty messed up that Hasheem thabeet makes a lot more money that marc gasol. lol.

Anyway, Gasol is slated to make 3.4 million and this is his contract year. I feel we should trade for melo, and sign gasol in the offseason.
I say give him a 4 year 50 million contract.
The griz currently are over the cap with almost 70 million in salaries this year, and will fall to 40 million next year. They do have a dillemma with the gasol/randolph situation. Conly and gay are there until 2015.....i hope memphis moves to use thabeet at centre and we pay gasol more. He has a chance to win in new york...lets go gasol!