STAT Arrival as important as EWING arrival?

IDK?

TORONTO -- Knicks executive Allan Houston told The Post Amar'e Stoudemire's arrival has meant to the franchise as much as when the club won the 1985 Draft Lottery and Patrick Ewing came onto the scene to revive a dead team.
The Post has learned Houston was recently granted a new title of assistant general manager after his contract expired last month. The assistant GM title replaces his nebulous moniker of assistant to team president Donnie Walsh.
At 11-9, the Knicks are off to their best start after 20 games since 2001-02 (when they also started 11-9). Stoudemire notched his third straight game of 30-plus points Friday night in New Orleans when the Knicks upset the Hornets 100-92 for their sixth straight road win. On a 8-1 roll, they face the Raptors today at 1 p.m. at Air Canada Centre.
"To me, he has had as much impact on this franchise as Patrick," Houston said. "The timing, the circumstances, his personality and demeanor, leadership, all wrapped up -- given his talent -- is the impact Patrick had when he came.
"What he's done is brought in a presence: 'I'll take the burden on my shoulders. I'll take the criticism. I'll take the good with the bad. I'm going to be the one -- if people put it on me, I'm OK with that.' "
Houston traveled with the Knicks to The Big Easy, with Walsh still not attending games after hip-replacement surgery.
As superstar Hornets point guard Chris Paul left New Orleans Arena late Friday night, Paul gave Houston a long hug and they chatted amiably for a few minutes, promising to catch up later.
Ironically, Houston could one day be leading a Knicks management team that lures Paul to Broadway -- speculation that should increase in light of yesterday's front-page story in the New Orleans Times-Picayune the NBA will likely buy the franchise.
One of Houston's attributes is the respect current NBA players have for him. Houston's rise in the organization is also good news for Knicks fans fearing Isiah Thomas eventually will inherit Walsh's throne because of his relationship with owner James Dolan. Sources have told The Post Houston does not consider Thomas an ally.
In February, Houston is expected to be honored at the Garden when the Knicks hold their annual Legends Night and salute their Player of the Decade (2000-09). Houston is the clear choice and Stoudemire is the early frontrunner for the new decade.
The losing culture Thomas bred in New York, Houston believes, is history.
"I don't want to go too far ahead," Houston said. "We hit a stretch when we lose those consecutive games . . . They realized we can't accept it and have to do something about it. I will say they've grown up and established [that] we won't have that losing mentality and losing atmosphere."
Stoudemire hasn't done it alone, and Houston credited Raymond Felton. The Stoudemire-Felton oncourt connection grows by the minute, as does their stature in the locker room.
"When you look at what Raymond's done with his leadership, it's huge," Houston said.
"The biggest joy I have is how fans are excited again. When Knick fans say, "I remember when," a lot of them are much older. The young kids don't remember that time. The young generation will hopefully continue to experience this."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/amar_hou_da_man_BnPLuM3InNFtsHo2WXLjaJ#ixzz17H46zKzb

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yes i agree with houston, the whole culture of the team has changed its amazing what one player can do for a franchise

mafra

Legend
Good for Houston to speak up, and congrats that Dolan finally made a wise decision and signed off on this Walsh move.

STAT and FELTON have been everything we needed/expected them to be. With every when, it just makes Melo's choice to wait for free agency more evident.

Insert Carmelo, sprinkle in a 1st round pick, add a big and we have a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team.

A new decade dawning baby!

Scribbles

Rotation player
LMAO!! I dont know about all that....

Patrick put in over 15 years of work for us. Amare has played 20 great games.

Come back to me 3 years from now....

mafra

Legend
LMAO!! I dont know about all that....

Patrick put in over 15 years of work for us. Amare has played 20 great games.

Come back to me 3 years from now....

I think HOUSTON is just referring to what both brought to the Knicks when they arrived. You know, just saying that Amar'e is doing for NYK what Ewing had done when he was drafted- changing eerything about the team.

I seriously doubt he's saying that Ewing and Stat are even comparable, for what they mean to this franchise....

Just stating the obvious:

When Ewing was drafted in 1985 and when STAT was signed in 2010... Both took over the Knicks, who were beyond bad and moribound, and both almost single-handedly took it upon themselves to turn it around.... and had that something-something that motivated others to follow, while energizing the team.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
The guy who started this thread is the same dude who cried about STAT being a fraud lmao. Oh how the tables have turned.

p0nder

Starter
It is pretty early to compare impact on a franchise. I mean, STAT has to stack up against some of the greatest Knicks of all time, some of whom put in 10 years + for the organization.

Still it is promising to hear Houston comparing STAT to Ewing. The guys played together for a number of great years and Houston has a lot of respect for Ewing, so putting STAT on that same level is a huge complement.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
This is off topic but wouldn't it be great if we had Houston at GM and Ewing at coach? that would be amazing....

KingCharles34

All Star
Interviewer: "Do you consider Isiah Thomas to be an ally of yours?"

Allan Houston:

27e72286b1a116cf0d0f5136a8532040.gif

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Not to discredit STAT's accolades in Phoenix, but...

Chill: Ewing was doing his thing against arguably the greatest generation of players in NBA history: Malone and Stockton, Miller and Smits, Price, Barkley, Jordan, Shaq, David Robinson, Duncan in his prime, Olajuwon, etc., for years.

STAT never faced anywhere near that level of competition, as Ewing usually did, with success, for over a decade.

When, and if, STAT gets us two finals, high playoff seeds, and a decade of playoff victories against top teams, maybe we can have this conversation.

For now, it's been a good month for STAT.