Knicks looking for a backup PG

moneyg

Starter
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...oking_for_backup_point_guard_offering_walker/

they r shopping walker for a cheap backup PG with and expiring contract to help out felton

u can see out there that TD is ok but hes not a passing PG and is not that good on the pick and roll

whos out there

ismael smith.. but i doubt houston will give him up

tj ford would be a nice pick up

as much as i hate to say it duhon would of been good as a backup this year.. he is not a starter

your thoughts???

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Toney is a great player, but whenever Felton is on the bench the Knicks offense struggles. Knicks need a true veteran point guard who can play a couple of minutes along with Toney this way Felton doesn;t burn out the way Duhon did 2 seasons ago

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Shaun Livingston comes to mind...Charlotte won't part with him though, and he's got a three year contract...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rafer Alston.

We would have to release a player or send one to the D-League. I say we need a rebounder too with Turiaf injured and Randolph on the bench. Waive Mason and send Rautins to the D-League. Sign Alston and Courtney Sims, or somebody.

Here's a list of free agents by position:

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

KBlack25

Starter
What about Lou Williams?

Williams for Walker would free the 6ers up to trade Iguodala for a little bit less if they are desperate.

Edit: Nevermind, Williams makes way too much to do the move.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Felton may be the starter but Douglas is our primary

Douglas is doing better than well at the backup position, b/c Douglas defense is top shelf he has slowed down all our oponents top competive PG/SG.
Douglas comes off the bench for Fields to take all the defensive duties off of Felton shoulders, doing this has helped Felton focus on the poor passing and poor pick n roll we seen early in the season with Felton & Amare.
Little is mention about the performance of Douglas & Fields has given Felton better scoring oportunities than he ever had in his 5 year tour with the Bobcats.

I would luv to get PG-Ismael Smith when Brooks come back if available, but my main goal (right now) would be going after the Nets combo-guard 6.6 Terrence Williams, while he is in the D.League. Adding Terrence Williams great passing-skills to our roster would put a stop to all this silly cap-space blunder of a plan to pay no-defense Carmelo Anthony max money. When we could resign our offense/defense Wilson Chandler for 25% of max money, resign Turiaf, and search for a F/C- with our MLE.

Felton/Douglas/Fields/Chandler/Gallo/Shawn/and Terrence Williams would be the Knicks PG/SG/SF competitive offense/defense/rebounding rotation for the next two to three seasons.

P.S. Azu when healthy is just a peremter shooter (3-baller), inwhich Shawn Williams defensive skills just took all Azu playingtime. There would be no reason to resign Azu if we could get Terrence Williams in our backcourt.

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
Douglas is doing better than well at the backup position, b/c Douglas defense is top shelf he has slowed down all our oponents top competive PG/SG.
Douglas comes off the bench for Fields to take all the defensive duties off of Felton shoulders, doing this has helped Felton focus on the poor passing and poor pick n roll we seen early in the season with Felton & Amare.
Little is mention about the performance of Douglas & Fields has given Felton better scoring oportunities than he ever had in his 5 year tour with the Bobcats.

I would luv to get PG-Ismael Smith when Brooks come back if available, but my main goal (right now) would be going after the Nets combo-guard 6.6 Terrence Williams, while he is in the D.League. Adding Terrence Williams great passing-skills to our roster would put a stop to all this silly cap-space blunder of a plan to pay no-defense Carmelo Anthony max money. When we could resign our offense/defense Wilson Chandler for 25% of max money, resign Turiaf, and search for a F/C- with our MLE.

Felton/Douglas/Fields/Chandler/Gallo/Shawn/and Terrence Williams would be the Knicks PG/SG/SF competitive offense/defense/rebounding rotation for the next two to three seasons.

P.S. Azu when healthy is just a peremter shooter (3-baller), inwhich Shawn Williams defensive skills just took all Azu playingtime. There would be no reason to resign Azu if we could get Terrence Williams in our backcourt.

The 6-12 Nets just sent Terrence Williams to the D league and this is the guy you think the Knicks should pick up. You need to stop posting, Kiya, since you have been wrong about most everything over the last 3 years. Long live Walsh and D'Antoni. Thanks for bringing excitement back to the Garden. Keep building 1 piece at a time and eventually we may get that long awaited Championship in NYC. Don't let the no-nothing naysayers get to you.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer

Im not sure about Toney, he plays good defense but he gambles a little too much and he can't run the point. I actually don't mind him coming off the bench for instant offense and energy, thats why D'Antoni plays them both. We need somebody to back Toney up who can get other guys involved Toney is a great defender and a good 1 on 1 scorer but not a true PG.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Im not sure about Toney, he plays good defense but he gambles a little too much and he can't run the point. I actually don't mind him coming off the bench for instant offense and energy, thats why D'Antoni plays them both. We need somebody to back Toney up who can get other guys involved Toney is a great defender and a good 1 on 1
scorer but not a true PG.

+1 It was painful to watch Douglas try to run the point yesterday. There is a stark contrast in the way Felt and TD run the O. I'm convinced TD has no clue what he's doing at the point. He is a tweener-- not really a 1, but not really a 2 either, a SG in a PG's body.. We need another guy who can distribute.

Kiyaman

Legend
The 6-12 Nets just sent Terrence Williams to the D league and this is the guy you think the Knicks should pick up. You need to stop posting, Kiya, since you have been wrong about most everything over the last 3 years. Long live Walsh and D'Antoni. Thanks for bringing excitement back to the Garden. Keep building 1 piece at a time and eventually we may get that long awaited Championship in NYC. Don't let the no-nothing naysayers get to you.

Do u have a clue on what u are saying? HELL NO!
I guess purposely tanking two seasons to make the 3rd season look good
is what u r talking about.
The 2010 Plan of getting Amare & Felton was not a success.
Landry Fields & Shawn Williams offseason pickup was Success.
Not knowing that a SG to go in between SF-Gallo, SF-Chandler, and
PG-Douglas for two seasons in a row is real bright for the new regime
Walsh/Damntoni.

The selection of Landry Fields and the treatment Fields received in the SLG
was like he was going to be cut with Jerome Jordan after the SLG tournament.
Rottens was made a starter and received 4 times the amount of playingtime
as Fields in the SLG tournament. Was the treatment the same? HELL NO!
Whenever Douglas/Fields/and Ewing Jr. was on the court together they ran
through any of our SLG oponent.

Do u know the "importance" of Landry Fields on the Knicks right now?
if u dont then "STFU"! and dont ever use my name in any of your posts.
Blake Griffin is the only player standing in the way of Mr. Landry Fields
ROY award.
If Landry Fields get injured and is out for 3 games, those 3 games will
become 3 Knick losses. Because if Douglas & Chandler dont feel any other
teammate is helping out on defensive end they will slack off too.

iJoe

Rotation player
Yet another Kiyaman thread that responds to nothing and goes off on some wild tangent. You gotta give him props for spending all that wonderful time adding bold and color to his posts.

I don't think we're looking to replace Douglas. I believe we're looking for a 3rd string point guard who comes deep off the bench. When the matchups are right that means Douglas can play even more at the 2. The team is still extremely young so its great to watch them keep improving. I just hope it keeps up.

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
Walsh/Damntoni.

ROY award.

What??????

petescud

Starter
Mason dumping would be warranted. Rautins to the D League isalso ok with me. I wouldn't mind Alston as a back up. Keep in mind people, that if Capt. Ray miss' significant time, we'd be out of the playoff running. So picking up a quality Backup point on the cheap, would be a good thing.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
Why get rid of walker he's a great backup, shoots and dunks well
As for Toney, his offense is in a slump but he should still be getting 23mpg as PG/SG, he's one of the best defenders in the league

elcol

Rotation player
id take rafer alston, skip 2 my lou, streetballer has something to prove since he came from and1 or w/e. hes also from new york, i think he could get back into shape with new york.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Walsh/Damntoni.

ROY award.

Kiya why do you consider the Felton & Amare Signings as failures? Those two are our best players and were the best players available during the summer. We had no choice but to tank 2 years there was no other way to move forward.

The Knicks needed to rid themselves of Isiah and his decisions. This meant contracts and a losing culture. Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph and company would get us to the playoffs but we would have no cap room to build a contender and our rookies would be stunted by their presence. David Lee became an All-Star and got us valuable pieces in return , that was made possible by trading away Zach Randolph.

Sure looking back some decisions may not have been optimal like the Houston trade which cost us draft picks. But we took a calculated risk and if you ever want to win big you got to take some risks. While we may have not landed Lebron James or Wade, we were fortunate to get the best PF and best PG available, thats a pretty good consolation prize. We are also in position to pick up Carmelo or trade for Chris Paul. If Felton somehow makes it to the All-Star game his stock could even go higher and perhaps help fetch a Chris Paul. If not we are only playing 7.5 Mil Per for arguably a top 10-15 PG who could very well fit into our future if we cannot acquire Paul.

Don't forget all the assets we have... Young talent, short term desirable contracts, legitimate superstar in Amare to build around. How is this not progress? Consider we are playing great despite a sketchy coach, sketchy play from Gallo, and a team that has not fully reached its potential from a chemistry standpoint. Even I, a huge skeptic can see the upside we have and progress Walsh and D'Antoni have made.

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm more amazed at the picture of walker. MAN

If Alston would be content making the league min and playing maybe 10 minutes a night then i'd be semi interested... But i think u just want to get a solid backup point guard who doesn't expect or demand minutes....

Maybe say an AJ Price out of Uconn... I'd either go with a young guy trying to make the league or a good character vet (think anthony johnson) whose good in the locker room. We don't really need a major contributor just somebody to give Felton some rest and let TD slide to the two.