Grizzlies shopping Thabeet

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's on HoopsHype. They linked it to here:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/featur...tip-seattle-sonics/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Thabeet's trade value is at an all-time low right now...the Grizzlies are eager to get rid of him and I'm betting we could send them a couple of nice wing players and get it done...maybe even a 2nd round draft pick given Thabeet's, well, production...

Any thoughts on this? Note that I'm not saying we should trade for him, I just want to open the floor to discussion for you guys who claim that we need a big man really badly, well, he's certainly a big dude who blocks his shots.

If we trade for Thabeet we'd be secure at the 5 with Ronny Turiaf and Hasheem Thabeet both manning the center position. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but maybe Thabeet would do better if he doesn't have to play behind Marc Gasol and only get 8 minutes a game.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I honestly have not seen him in any of his NBA games. Has anyone seen him play? And is he really that bad? I mean reports from the internet make him sound Kwame/Darko kind of bust...I have no idea.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He's definitely a big gamble, that's for sure.

Thabeet is soft, has virtually no offensive game whatsoever, and has a long ways to go before becoming a good player.

However, he's coming from a Jim Calhoun-coached background so you'd think he'd be a coachable player, he's capable if nothing else of shotblocking and playing defense. He gives you size but he's soft so I'm not sure how much that does for us.

Frankly I'm not really sold on him and I think we have more to gain by playing AR than we do by trading for Thabeet but it's an idea to consider as is everything.

la2ny

Starter
Honestly ive seen him.

The knock always was his offense mainly because he started playing not to long ago so his d is light years ahead of his O.
He can defend the rim well and he doesn't get in foul trouble as much as moz so that's a plus. He actually runs the floor pretty well for how big he is, he could be worth a 2nd round pick honestly he shouldve just really late in the first round. If he can work on his offense it could be a great pickup.

He really if anyone can be dikembe mutumbo like. They can mold him into that type of player. Hope that helps

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
For the sake of our team I'm not sure how much he needs to work on offense anyway. What we really need from a big is solid defense and I think he can bring that...he's just not getting a whole lot of playing time because of how solid Marc Gasol has been for the Grizzlies.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Isn't he basically a shitty version of The Gov? He may rebound better, but if we're talking upside and potential, Thabeet's inadequacies make Mozgov the better of the two.

He would be cheap, but I doubt MD would wanna tarnish his offense with him.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Mozgov is actually a year older than he is. But I think the two might be similar enough to the point where you don't want both of them together on the same team. That being said Thabeet doesn't get in as much foul trouble as Mozgov but I think Mozgov's problems can be solved by learning more English and just adapting to the NBA game whereas Thabeet earned himself a D-League trip and all that.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
No, no, no.

Stick with Moz. Trust me if Mozgov gets minutes he will get better and better. He started to improve in his last three or four games but since his improvement he has been benched.

Forget about Thabeet and have faith in the big Russian.

iSaYughh

Starter
Memphis is in disarray right now.

They (feel) the need to shake shit up in the worst of ways.

Thabeet, along with Mayo, could be had at great value.

Two 2nd's and Walker would be a great deal for us, IMHO, and it could get done.

Thabeet's been set back by being a project-player on a disorganized franchise that has a real quality starting C of the present/future already who has a deathgrip on minutes.

Moz is much like Thabeet in some ways. But that's not a bad thing. The Gov + Thabeet combo could "consistently" fulfill what we've been looking to get; with Moz being there when we desire more offense and p&r movement, and Thabeet when we are craving a guy who can block the shit out of a team and clamp down some D. Plus, both of them solves the issue of when Moz, or Thabeet, gets into lame foul trouble quickly.

It helps satisfy a purpose in the immediate, and going forward gives us another lotto ticket to hit it big on.

edit - w AR likely getting traded for Melo, or simply traded for a pick, or simply left to leave the team after this year, it makes even more sense. Whereby we then let Turiaf, ideally, become the primary PF backup, and don't rely on him as much for C work.