Take one, Trade One: The story of Will and The Big Cock.

Chandler and Melo are pretty much the same player. They're both Slashers. except Melo is a better scorer and Will is a better defender.

Now if you put Melo with Felton, Gallinari, Fields, and STAT, you have a pretty nice starting line up of...

PG: Felton
SG: Fields
SF: Gallinari
PF: Melo
C: STAT

Because you have STAT inside, Landry and Fields as playmakers, and Gallo on the outside.

Now that team is almost unguardable. Melo is a major threat everyone on the court, as is Stat inside and at Mid range, and then you have Gallo is a serious threat at the 3 point line. Not to mention Felton's Offense and Pssing game.

Now if you put Melo with Chandler, you have a lineup of....

SF: Melo
PF: Chandler

Now this is a lineup that wouldnt at all struggle on the Offensive end but wouldnt be as good as they can be with Gallo at the 3.

Chandler and Melo have the same game. I mean both of them dont need the basketball to be effective. At the same time Chandler isnt really as good of a catch and shoot player as Gallo is.....

But the Pro with having Chandler is the deffense would be slightly better, but Gallinari is also good on D...

So I guess i would rather Keep Gallo over Chandler. I mean I love Will but he wouldnt fit in as well as Galo. Also you gotta remember Gallo is a year younger then wilson at 22, Wilson can become a great playe in the next few years, but so can Gallo, and Wilson is Injury prone...

Last edited:

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Chandler and Melo are pretty much the same player. They're both Slashers. except Melo is a better scorer and Will is a better defender.

Now if you put Melo with Felton, Gallinari, Fields, and STAT, you have a pretty nice starting line up of...

SF: Gallinari
PF: Melo

Because you have STAT inside, Landry and Fields as playmakers, and Gallo on the outside.

Now that team is almost unguardable. Melo is a major threat everyone on the court, as is Stat inside and at Mid range, and then you have Gallo is a serious threat at the 3 point line. Not to mention Felton's Offense and Pssing game.

Now if you put Melo with Chandler, you have a lineup of....

SF: Melo
PF: Chandler

Now this is a lineup that wouldnt at all struggle on the Offensive end but wouldnt as be as good as they can be with Gallo at the 3.

Chandler and Melo have the same game. I mean both of them dont need the basketball to be effective. At the same time Chandler isnt really as good of a catch and shoot player as Gallo is.....

But the Pro with having Chandler is the deffense would be slightly better, but Gallinari is also good on D...

So I guess i would rather Keep Gallo over Chandler. I mean I love Will but he wouldnt fit in as well as Galo. Also you gotta remember Gallo is a year younger then wilson at 22, Wilson can become a great playe in the next few years, but so can Gallo, and Wilson is Injury prone...

I understand the premise of your argument which is offensively Gallo can spread the floor. But if say Melo were at the three point line would you just leave him to guard Felton or Amar'e? Gallo is not a great three point shooter right now, but he manages to have guys run at hi anyways. If Melo catches the ball at the three point line his defender will still have to close out on him. Even then Melo doesn;t have to shoot the 3, he can just attack a defense thats off balance. Whats even scarier is if you have Melo and STAT play a 2 man game on the strong side, allowing for fieds and chandler who are excellent at cutting into the paint to go back door from the weak side.

If Grant Hill, Wilson Chandler and other "mid-range players" can learn how to knock down 3's I don't see why Carmelo can't.

Secondly I just want Chandler over Gallo, cuz this team needs defense. having Gallo and Carmelo on the floor at the same time could be a liability. Where as with Chandler Carmelo can play his natural position.

I also think your wrong about Melo not needing the ball. If anything he is at his best in isolation.

So in closing, I think keeping Chandler is imperative to our defense and rebounding, where as offense we are loaded with guys who can score, so Gallo won't be missed. Oh and Wilson is like averaging more points then Gallo this season anyways, So Chandler has Gallo beat on both sides of the ball.

Wilson is doing way more than Gallo. He is even knocking down the 3 when we need them and rarely throws us out of rythm. Gallo's upside is getting to the charity stripe, but teams are figuring that out now. We also can't afford to lose Wilson's Defense, especially this early in the season. He is more fitted for this team than Gallo is. He can play muti positions and come of the bench if need be. There is just way too much to lose in terms of intangibles and chemistry when it comes to Wilson...can't say the same for Gallo.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Great points.

I'd put my money on Chandler at this point. He gives us so many options and his game is slowly expanding (defender, shooter, scorer). On the other hand, Gallo is inconsistent and hasn't really added anything to his game this year. In fact, his 3 pt efficiency has gone down. Granted, he can go off when he's provoked or somehow upset BUT why do you need that motivation to play at a high level?? Sorry, I'll pass on Gallo and go with the consistently solid Chandler.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's a tough call.

Gallinari might be worth keeping because he's on a cheaper contract for longer (Wil's expires after this season), he's a better offensive player in the long run given how he can drive to the basket very well and draw a ton of fouls. Gallinari's a far more efficient scorer, and I'd argue that if he took as many shots as Chandler does he'd have 20 PPG.

That being said it's tough to argue that Wilson Chandler is a better defender and more versatile.

If we get Carmelo, which do we need more? Do we need the sharpshooting 6'10 player who can draw fouls and is automatic from long range? Or do we need the player who can defend 2-3-4 and is not NEARLY as good as the other guy on offense?

It's a really tough call since they're both good players but I think you go for Gallo only cause I like him (no homo)

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo/Chandler

As reflected in submissions in other threads, I am on the Gallo side if we were to get Carmelo and pretty much for the reasons stated in the thread opening. But I appreciate the arguments to the contrary.

Gallo has been an enigma. At half-time in the Boston game I was ready to trade him for a bag of peanuts. But that second half is a glimpse of what he can be.

Capacity for a young player is more important than consistency. if you do not have the capacity, you will consistently not have the capacity. But capacity, growth, experience and some confidence will eliminate inconsistency. Although he has some athletic limitations, I predict that Gallo will continue to get better and better. And he really does appear to be a "team" player.

I also think that someday in the not so distant future, AR will put it all together.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's a tough call.

Gallinari might be worth keeping because he's on a cheaper contract for longer (Wil's expires after this season), he's a better offensive player in the long run given how he can drive to the basket very well and draw a ton of fouls. Gallinari's a far more efficient scorer, and I'd argue that if he took as many shots as Chandler does he'd have 20 PPG.

That being said it's tough to argue that Wilson Chandler is a better defender and more versatile.

If we get Carmelo, which do we need more? Do we need the sharpshooting 6'10 player who can draw fouls and is automatic from long range? Or do we need the player who can defend 2-3-4 and is not NEARLY as good as the other guy on offense?

It's a really tough call since they're both good players but I think you go for Gallo only cause I like him (no homo)

Not sure what games you've been watching but Gallo is not automatic from long range.

Chandler is averaging more points than Gallo in less minutes. Saying Chandler is "not nearly" as good as Gallo on offense is lowering him to a subpar scorer. Very innacurate.

Edit: Chandler also has a higher FG% plus his 3pt% is only lower by .010%

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't care if Gallo can shoot the 3. Chandler is clearly the better PLAYER.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD>PLAYER</TD><TD title="Field Goals Made per game" align=right> FGM</TD><TD title="Field Goals Attempted per game" align=right>FGA</TD><TD title="Field Goals Percentage per game" align=right>FG%</TD><TD title="Three-point Field Goals Made per game" align=right>3PM</TD><TD title="Three-point Field Goals Attempted per game" align=right>3PA</TD><TD title="Three-point Field Goals Percentage per game" align=right>3P%</TD><TD title="Free Throws Made per game" align=right>FTM</TD><TD title="Free Throws Attempted per game" align=right>FTA</TD><TD title="Free Throws Percentage per game" align=right>FT%</TD><TD title="Two-point Field Goals Made per game" align=right>2PM</TD><TD title="Two-point Field Goals Attempted per game" align=right>2PA</TD><TD title="Two-point Field Goals Percentage per game" align=right>2P%</TD><TD title="Points Per Shot per game" align=right>PPS</TD><TD title="Adjusted Field Goal Percentage per game" align=right>AFG%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class="oddrow player-46-3194"><TD>Wilson Chandler, SF</TD><TD align=right>6.6</TD><TD align=right>13.8</TD><TD align=right>.476</TD><TD align=right>1.8</TD><TD align=right>5.0</TD><TD align=right>.366</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>0.83</TD><TD align=right>4.8</TD><TD align=right>8.8</TD><TD align=right>.539</TD><TD align=right>1.253</TD><TD align=right>0.54</TD></TR><TR class="evenrow player-46-3428"><TD>Danilo Gallinari, F</TD><TD align=right>4.2</TD><TD align=right>10.3</TD><TD align=right>.409</TD><TD align=right>1.9</TD><TD align=right>5.1</TD><TD align=right>.376</TD><TD align=right>5.1</TD><TD align=right>5.7</TD><TD align=right>0.89</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>5.2</TD><TD align=right>.441</TD><TD align=right>1.498</TD><TD align=right>0.50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Not sure what games you've been watching but Gallo is not automatic from long range.

Chandler is averaging more points than Gallo in less minutes. Saying Chandler is "not nearly" as good as Gallo on offense is lowering him to a subpar scorer. Very innacurate.

Edit: Chandler also has a higher FG% plus his 3pt% is only lower by .010%

The amount of minutes different isn't enough to be significant.

What IS enough to be significant is the different in the number of field goal attempts. Chandler takes far more shots than Gallo does but he only scores 2 PPG more per game, this is because Gallo draws a ton more fouls than Chandler does which is how he has comparable PPG despite Chandler taking like 3 more shots per game.

If Gallo took 3 more shots per game he'd probably have 20 PPG - you can't just look at FG% to determine who the better offensive player is...Gallo draws fouls and let's not forget his wrist was injured for the first few games of the season where he was shooting atrociously so that obviously affected him.

Gallo has a much higher ceiling offensively now that he's driving to the basket. He's taking far fewer shots than he used to because of how good Amar'e and Felton have been (as well as since Chandler's playing well too), but he's still a very efficient scorer. The way Gallo changed the game in the 2nd half against the Celtics makes me think he might be more valuable to this team in the long run.

Plus, while Chandler is the better defender, Gallo has made HUGE strides in that area, finding himself able to guard 3's and 4's...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Shooting

Gallo has not yet shot well consistently. He can, and likely will, do better. Chandler, however, is shooting better than ever. Yet Gallo's true shooting percentage (TS%) is .602 and Chandler's is .576.

In a true shooting percentage setting a successful 3 point shot is better than a successful 2 point shot and there is a factor for foul shooting. If you take a shot, are fouled, and make the shots, you get more credit than if you get fouled and miss the shots.

We have to stop making excuses for Gallo, its been going on since he got here. I hardly heard any excuse on the behalf of Will the Trill when he was hurt, maybe because he still was able to produce due to his toughness.

Gallos attempts went down this season because he was hurting the team. He found a way to help by flopping and going to the line (cheap ball). But, now that is slacking off. Will scores when he drives plus get and 1's. Gallo looks and depends on contact and rarely draws the bonus.

Wilson is way more valuable due to his versatlity, Gallo has no defense and always get posterized. Will grabs boards, blocks, and steals. Gallo gets out played most of the time on D and has low IQ when gaurding the basket. Wilson has gotten better every year he's been here, and he's still improving, Gallo fell off of his shooting and is slowly being taken out of the rotation (watch the games carefully). Wilson creates his own shot and keeps the flow of the game upbeat. Gallo hurts our rythm more times than maintaining it. These are all facts that has been proving just by looking at the games.

I want the Knicks beasting, showing toughness and playing Defense. A little finese from time to time won't hurt either. Gallo is the weak link, we are in a great position to fix that. Keeping the weak link and getting rid of one of the strongest links is nothing short of back sliding.

iJoe

Rotation player
The only thing I don't like about Chandler is that he tends to throw up one or two horrible shots a game that leave you scratching your head. He really needs to stop shooting that contested midrange shot after dribbling with no other Knick under the rim. He normally makes up for this with a lot of hustle after screwing up, but him and Douglas really need to stop taking bad shots. Chandler really should be taking it to the rim more. He also should be drawing a lot more fouls.

Gallo is labeled by teams as a shooter. They pressure him a lot more at the 3 than Chandler. His defense is underrated with Gallo getting no respect from the Refs. I like his IQ and potential.

He's definitely not been consistent, but if I had to choose right now..... I'd pick Gallo by a hair over Chandler.

Oh... I'm still not sold on Melo....
If you watch the Nuggets when Melo has the ball, the movement completely dies. You can see how the ball moves a ton more with Melo on the bench. Melo would be absolutely unstoppable if he posted more and learned how to pass out a wee bit more.

The only thing I don't like about Chandler is that he tends to throw up one or two horrible shots a game that leave you scratching your head. quote]

I can agree with this, mainly because I see the better opportunities. But you do know Gallo does the same thing too, right? It's just too bad he doesn't have the ability to make up for it on the other end...like Chandler does.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
In the long run come postseason we are going to be screaming for defense. Defense is what will get you deep in the playoffs. Remember the last Knick teams of the post season were all about defense. Now I'm not saying this team needs to be like the Ewing/Oakley era but we have got to have some defensive minded people in the lineup, and not just STAT.

For me if/when we get Melo on this squad we will have the offense on lock. We need to tweak the defense some and with Will we are not really losing on the offense side that much whereas with Gallo we take a hit on the defensive end.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Chandler has 1 more year on his contract, this is the only reason I would trade Chandler and who knows maybe the Knicks will be able to get him back through free agency.

Overall looking at who is more valuable to the Knicks, it is without a doubt Chandler. He is able to play multiple positions an Gallo is just a small forward. Melo also can only play small forward as well, so trading Gallo makes more sense.

Always questioned why Chandler's contract hasn't been extended.