Carmelo AndNoD is a Fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Nobody here has yet to disprove Metro's comparison of Melo to Glen. It is a very good comparison.

I'll help: The one big difference between Melo and Glen is that Melo has more 4th quarter comebacks. Also, Melo has a better post game.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

My big worry is still the fact he has been an isolation player his entire career and we run a different system. There is nothing that garuntees he can make the transition so well.

In addition, Melo is not an automatic three point shooter and Melo's post game will not be utilized in our system. Look at our players, even STAT is a face up player. We will be taking away a huge aspect of Melo's game. So how effective will he be then?

Melo does not make our team better in our current system. And we aren't even there yet with our current roster.

For Example:

Suns stats

05-06 - 110.2 ppg, 47.9% FGP, 39.9%3PP
06-07 - 110.2 ppg, 49.4% FGP, 39.9%3PP
07-08 - 110.1 ppg, 50.0% FGP, 39.3%3PP

Us currently,

10-11 - 108.1 ppg, 46.6% FGP, 36.9%3PP

So how does Melo help our team? We run a system where we have to have range and efficiency. Melo fails at both of those aspects and by taking away his post game he is even a worse player.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Nobody here has yet to disprove Metro's comparison of Melo to Glen. It is a very good comparison.

I'll help: The one big difference between Melo and Glen is that Melo has more 4th quarter comebacks. Also, Melo has a better post game.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

My big worry is still the fact he has been an isolation player his entire career and we run a different system. There is nothing that garuntees he can make the transition so well.

In addition, Melo is not an automatic three point shooter and Melo's post game will not be utilized in our system. Look at our players, even STAT is a face up player. We will be taking away a huge aspect of Melo's game. So how effective will he be then?

Melo does not make our team better in our current system. And we aren't even there yet with our current roster.

For Example:

Suns stats

05-06 - 110.2 ppg, 47.9% FGP, 39.9%3PP
06-07 - 110.2 ppg, 49.4% FGP, 39.9%3PP
07-08 - 110.1 ppg, 50.0% FGP, 39.3%3PP

Us currently,

10-11 - 108.1 ppg, 46.6% FGP, 36.9%3PP

So how does Melo help our team? We run a system where we have to hae range and efficiency. Melo fails at both of those aspects and by taking away his post game he is even a worse player.

We have a winner.
:gony:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Melo could be more efficient, ala Bernard King. Who shot over 50% for more than a few seasons when he was devastating the League. However Melo shoots threes at a low %, which drives down his fg%.

If I had to say whether he leans more towards Glenn Robinson or Bernard King, I'd have to say he's more like Bernard. He just needs to "augment" his game like Clyde likes to say by scoring closer to the basket where he'd make more, or become a better shooter from range. It would be a quicker fix for him to eliminate the 3 point bombing, for him to go old school like Bernard. Then he be much more efficient..

In our offense tho we want guys to take 3's, so if we were to get him the above would not be a viable answer for solving the efficiency question. We'd have to hope that he'd get better looks in transition and in the flow of our offense in the half court. The way our offense is, it would not be illogical for us to expect a slight numbers/ efficiency bump. Right??

I have to be real and say that although Melo and Amare have similar games, ultimately they'd work it out. I've changed my thinking on this some.. There'd be stagnation initially, maybe a bit of leaning curve re: how to play off of one another, but we'd be better obviously and teams would have a hard time w the two of them and our complimentary pieces working within the confines of SSOL. It would undoubtedly be tough on teams.

One thing we are missing, is how great Melo is at running the floor and finishing in transition. This would be a great ++ for our Offense as we luv to get the ball up the court quickly. Melo likes to basket hang for easy buckets and can play w a certain savvy in the half court that would help us score even more effectively than the high level we have been, as long as we don't have to give up too many of our other pieces, which doesn't seem to be likely scenario if we were to trade for him.

Ultimately NJ has more to give Denver so we are at a disadvantage anyway. Hence the preference Denver has for dealing w them. I'm not sure they're even taking Donnie's calls at this point. And, unless Donnie can put together a better package than NJ, which he can't, logically would it make sense for them? This is why Denver won't change their stance on whatever their asking from us, whatever that is-- and if it's too much Donnie shouldn't do a deal. He should avoid a rape at all costs.

Denver is just going to continue to wait until Melo agrees to resign w NJ. Denver is in a good position. They have a team that already has the package they want. AND they have the prospect of a new CBA, which means a tremendous amount to Melo for obvious reasons, prolly more than coming to NY (i realize i'm speculating here). And pls be real, NJ would not trade for him unless he agrees to resign. That's the only thing holding up this trade. I think he'll agree sooner or later.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I realize Melo isn't a great 3 point shooter...but is that REALLY such a big problem?

He can hit an open 3 if he HAS to, and Melo's strength is in his post game and his ability to use his insane athleticism to get to the basket and draw fouls better than ANYBODY else in the league.

Why would we lessen his effectiveness by having him behind the arc? We already have great 3-point shooters...furthermore if Amar'e is not on the floor (which is probably the times when Carmelo is going to get the ball the most) then we can put Chandler/Fields/Felton on the floor with Carmelo and they can hit the 3-point shot just fine...

Again Melo isn't the most EFFICIENT scorer but he makes up for it by getting to the line really well. We should take advantage of that and instead have Melo use his post game and his quickness to draw fouls.

metrocard

Legend
I realize Melo isn't a great 3 point shooter...but is that REALLY such a big problem?

He can hit an open 3 if he HAS to

He doesn't though.

Bernard King wouldn't be a good it on this Knicks team either, same goes to Glenn and Melo. so you post is pointless rono.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He's about as efficient as Monta Ellis. Actually less efficient. Would you trade Fields + Chandler + Gallo for Monta Ellis?

th3realicon

Rotation player
Are we really comparing Melo with Monta now? No. seriously are we?

Howard has similar numbers with Shaq just for arguments sake but that doesn't mean they are to be put in the same sentence.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He doesn't though.

Bernard King wouldn't be a good it on this Knicks team either, same goes to Glenn and Melo. so you post is pointless rono.

Admittedly, sometimes i'm just posting something to post something.

But...

I don't agree at all that my post was pointless. You're entitled to your option tho..

I made an assessment, w a comparison, of a player you called a fraud, and a prognosis for how he'd fit w Amare. Which is hardly irrelevant, no?

Oh and Melo's a fraud but Marbury isn't?? Common dude.. You might want to rethink that one Metro.

Last edited:
Melo is better than our whole team. Everyone. We are winning because we have Stat and Felton. Everyone else is a role player. Melo gives us three powerhouse players. U can always find role players. However, I do agree, we should not give em everything. Which I doubt DW does. In the end, id be happy with the team growing together if Den plays hardball. And getting Mayo maybe. But if we can get Melo, for our price, we should def do it.

metrocard

Legend
Melo is better than our whole team. Everyone. We are winning because we have Stat and Felton. Everyone else is a role player. Melo gives us three powerhouse players. U can always find role players. Howee, I do agree, we should not give em everything. Which I doubt DW does. In the end, id be happy with the team growing together if Den plays hardball. And getting Mayo maybe. But if we can get Melo, for our price, we should def do it.

You going to hell for this post.

Melo would be the fourth best overall player on this team.

You fail.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You going to hell for this post.

Melo would be the fourth best overall player on this team.

You fail.

That's not true. He wouldn't the best. But, If he were on our team he'd be our second best player. Real talk.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
And seriously Metro, name the 4 players on our team he's worse than..

I gotta see this nonsense.

*Edit* the above should read, name the 3 players on our team Melo's worse than.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I'm not the biggest Melo guy, but he ain't no fraud. As it stands now, he averages 24.8 ppg for his career. Dude does what he does. He is a fine player. And like all players, he is not w/out his deficient areas.

This thread is a deficiency.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Gotta give Metrocard credit...as much as I disagree with him on Carmelo the whole "add 'sexual' to the name of any disliked person and make it an insult" is actually pretty funny.

Isiahsexual...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.