San Antonio Sperms vs. New York Knicks: 1-4-11

la2ny

Starter
San Antonio vs. New York Knicks
7:30 PM ET, January 4, 2011
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Tim-Duncan--9504.jpg

via ESPN:Over this past week, the San Antonio Spurs have shut down some of the league's top offenses during a remarkable defensive turnaround.
The Spurs hope to keep this going against the NBA's highest-scoring team and become the first club to reach 30 wins Tuesday night against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.
San Antonio (29-4) didn't win its 30th game last season until Feb. 11, but is now one away from that mark following Saturday's 101-74 victory over Oklahoma City. Tim Duncan had 21 points and nine rebounds and Tony Parker had 14 points and 10 assists as the Spurs won for the 14th time in 15 games.
Although San Antonio is off to one of the 10 best starts in NBA history and is poised to become the first team since the 2007-08 Boston Celtics to win 30 of its first 34 games, Gregg Popovich wasn't happy with his team's defense a week ago.
He has emphasized more focus on the defensive end, and the Spurs seem to have gotten the message.
They held the high-powered Thunder to a season low in scoring and field-goal percentage (32.9 percent) and limited NBA leading scorer Kevin Durant to 16 points.
"I hope it's an indication that we're getting better at (defense), because it was impressive," Popovich said.
San Antonio has had a couple of performances similar to this over the past week, allowing an average of 82.3 points on 37.1 percent shooting in winning its last four games -- which includes holding the Lakers to 82 points on Tuesday. This outstanding stretch came immediately after the Spurs surrendered an average of 110.8 points on 50.0 percent shooting in their previous five games.
"Hopefully it turns into a trend," Manu Ginobili said. "We are very happy with the way we've played the last few games. Hopefully we just don't relax. We'll try to keep it up."
The Spurs did a good job defensively against New York in sweeping last season's series, limiting the Knicks (19-14) to 88 and 87 points in the two games. It could be a different story this time around, however, with Amare Stoudemire powering New York's offense.
The Knicks, 1-9 against San Antonio since 2005-06, have the league's top-ranked offense at 107.2 points -- a 5.1-point improvement from last season -- and Stoudemire is averaging 28.7 points in his last three games.
"They want to score points," Duncan said of the Knicks. "They want to get up and down, and we're going to have to try to control that."
Stoudemire has also given the Spurs trouble from his days with Phoenix, averaging 32.7 points and 11.3 rebounds in three meetings last season.
The star forward had 26 points, including six of New York's last seven, in Sunday's 98-92 win over Indiana to lead six Knick players in double figures.
New York also came up with a strong defensive effort Sunday, limiting the Pacers to 15 fourth-quarter points in its third straight home victory.
"This was definitely huge," Stoudemire said. "This was a big game for us. Indiana is right behind us as far as the playoff race, so it was important for us to get this win. We understand how big this game was for us and in the fourth quarter, we played with a sense of urgency and we were able to get the win."
The victory came at a price, however, as starting forward Danilo Gallinari left in the fourth quarter with a sprained left knee after scoring 19 points. Gallinari, fourth on the Knicks with 15.3 points per game, is expected to miss two to three weeks.

Starting Lineups
sas-2.jpg

Keys To The Game
While the Spurs' defense is not picture-perfect like it was when they won four titles, it's still strong. They're holding opponents to 96.7 points per game, which is the 10th-best mark in the league. Now that Danilo Gallinari is out for two to three weeks with a mild left knee sprain, the Knicks will need a scoring boost. But while they'll certainly miss him offensively, they've had a stronger defense when he's been on the bench.

<TABLE style="HEIGHT: 130px" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=322><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102></TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>W/ GALLINARI</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>W/O GALLINARI</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>Pts/48 Mins</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>108.9</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>99.4 (937 in 452 min)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>Opp Pts/48 Mins</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>106.9</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>101.3 (955 in 452 min)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>Pt diff/48 Mins</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>+2.0</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>-1.9 (-18 in 452 min)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>FG pct</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>48.0</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>43.1 (350-812)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>3-pt FG pct</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>38.6</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>34.1 (85-249)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>Opp FG pct</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>47.7</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>44.2 (353-799)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=102>Opp 3-pt FG pct</TD><TD vAlign=top width=103>38.9</TD><TD vAlign=top width=131>32.2 (56-174)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Without Gallo, Toney Douglas needs to pick up right where he left off against the Pacers (12 points and seven assists in 29 minutes). It was arguably the backup point guard's best game as a scorer and playmaker. Also Shawne Williams will have to hit some big threes and if Landry Fields can create a little more off the dribble and get to the line, which he's capable of, that wouldn't hurt either. Overall, expect to see the starting five play more than their league-high 38.9 minutes per game average because this is, of course, the Spurs we're talking about here.

:gony::gony::gony::gony::gony::gony::gony::gony:

EDIT: Bonus Vid if thats a starting lineup mistake. sorry guys :thumbsup:

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
Good thread. Spurs are a tough match up for us, and this will be a real test, especially with Gallo out. I want to see the bench guys really step it up here. Williams and Douglas especially. TD should get plenty of opportunity to build off of last game which was an impressive effect for him and showed that he can be more then a scoring threat and has the tools to be a facilitator.

la2ny

Starter
Good thread. Spurs are a tough match up for us, and this will be a real test, especially with Gallo out. I want to see the bench guys really step it up here. Williams and Douglas especially. TD should get plenty of opportunity to build off of last game which was an impressive effect for him and showed that he can be more then a scoring threat and has the tools to be a facilitator.
thanks.

Yeah everyones going to have to step up for us to stay in this game. If Tiago is in the game at some point I'd like to see D'ant throw Moz in there to see how it goes.

petescud

Starter
I agree. Along with the Heat, Magic and Celtics. Here's a Team that if you want to win it all, you have to beat. Another game to see where we stand as far as being contenders.

MBlackVJesusP7

Benchwarmer
This is going to be a tough ass game. I've watched a couple Spurs game...and there really good. I think there as good as there record says they are, this is a definite championship contender. The Knicks are going to have their hands full. Hopefully Will can have a big game, STAT def can't do this alone.

GeseStark

Benchwarmer
I don't have a Good feeling about tonight's game. I feel either we will get Blown out or keep it close and lose..Either way I feel they are not even close to the spurs level but who is ? AR have a Good game? he hasn't play for so long that I have loss all confidence in him..But either way This knick team dosen't have a reliable bench. Maybe I'm wrong we'll see, But Does anyone really feel confident about this team winning Tonight , I Think 98% of us Don't. But hey hopefully they do well and Don't embarass themselves Fields and chandler have to step up ..Big time .

Last edited:

welcometonycity

Rotation player
I don't have a Good feeling about tonight's game. I feel either we will get Blown out or keep it close and lose..Either way I feel they are not even close to the spurs level but who is ? AR have a Good game? he hasn't play for so long that I have loss all confidence in him..But either way This knick team dosen't have a reliable bench. Maybe I'm wrong we'll see, But Does anyone really feel confident about this team winning Tonight , I Think 98% of us Don't. But hey hopefully they do well and Don't embarass themselves Fields and chandler have to step up ..Big time .

are you even a knicks fan?

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree. Along with the Heat, Magic and Celtics. Here's a Team that if you want to win it all, you have to beat. Another game to see where we stand as far as being contenders.

I don't think we need this game to tell us where we stand. We're already clear on that. Middle of the pack team.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Last time i watched the spurs play was against the nuggets a couple weeks back..... It came down to the last second when Manu drew the offensive foul on Melo member? .... I think if we play are top game and keep Stat out of foul trouble and give Turiaf minutes we can pull it off. Stat gets 25+ followed by a good performance by Will the Thrill we got this. Maybe even throw randolph or Moz in there for a little bit give guys some rest. Another good douglas performance would be nice too. Nice thread Btw La2Ny.

GeseStark

Benchwarmer
are you even a knicks fan?
Here we go..again with you. Yeah I'm a knick fan ? I just feel I'm being realistic. What is your problem? It's always a problem with you, and other people with different opinions. if it's not your way it's the highway..
That's how I feel and many other fans too. Do I want them to do well..Yeah, Did you not hear me say in other post that I have been a fan for over 25 years a season ticket holder . God forbid if I say you something some people don't agree with.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Here we go..again with you. Yeah I'm a knick fan ? I just feel I'm being realistic. What is your problem? It's always a problem with you, and other people with different opinions. if it's not your way it's the highway..
That's how I feel and many other fans too. Do I want them to do well..Yeah, Did you not hear me say in other post that I have been a fan for over 25 years a season ticket holder . God forbid if I say you something some people don't agree with.

So stick with your team and be positive ni99a u sound mad corny. So u going to the game tonight telling everyone sitting around u "eh idk guys i feel were gonna get blown out or lose at the end" Like how do you sound????????
If the knicks win tonight im quoting ur corny ass ni99a

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Knicks have a shot at winning this game...despite Parker and Manu's resurgences, the Spurs defense isn't what it was back in 2007 or 2005 - if the Knicks push them hard, control the tempo, and make it into a full-court game whilst giving Turiaf enough minutes to negate Blair and Duncan...they could pull out the upset.

But Gese is right, we're not exactly favored for this one.

la2ny

Starter
Theres 2 things I'm worried about against this team:

1:Our dry spells can't be excessive. If it is then we are TOAST.

2:The speed of the game has to be up-tempo even at the end when SA tries to slow it up in the 4th. If we try to play half court against their size we're in deep SHITakee.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
The Knicks have a shot at winning this game...despite Parker and Manu's resurgences, the Spurs defense isn't what it was back in 2007 or 2005 - if the Knicks push them hard, control the tempo, and make it into a full-court game whilst giving Turiaf enough minutes to negate Blair and Duncan...they could pull out the upset.

But Gese is right, we're not exactly favored for this one.

Gese is so negative towards this team, such a herb.
IM DEFINETLY feeling the upset, WE IN THE GARDEN.
be a fan for once gesegeek.

GeseStark

Benchwarmer
So stick with your team and be positive ni99a u sound mad corny. So u going to the game tonight telling everyone sitting around u "eh idk guys i feel were gonna get blown out or lose at the end" Like how do you sound????????
If the knicks win tonight im quoting ur corny ass ni99a
If anyone sounds corny is you, You sound so ghetto . If they win good than!
I'm happy..You are so Dumb..bro Take some etiquette classes man.
You got some serious issues. What no one could have an opinion now?
I went to the miami heat game..And people where telling me That they thought the knicks couldn't win that game, but they still supported them.
It's called being realistic..Do I want us to get to that level..Hell yes!
But don't get all stupid and calling me names.
You have zero class bro, for real. You make it sound like I'm the only one here..You have different posters saying to get rid of the coach and certain players, Yet you stay quiet about it. But when I say something you wanna act all silly Dumb..
Idiot.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
If anyone sounds corny is you, You sound so ghetto . If they win good than!
I'm happy..You are so Dumb..bro Take some etiquette classes man.
You got some serious issues. What no one could have an opinion now?
I went to the miami heat game..And people where telling me That they thought the knicks couldn't win that game, but they still supported them.
It's called being realistic..Do I want us to get to that level..Hell yes!
But don't get all stupid and calling me names.
You have zero class bro, for real.

You need to learn some spelling yourself sir its "were".
Im done talking to you, ur a cornball. Cheer for your team instead of being "Realistic". I cant wait for the knicks to win tonight and you be nowhere to be found.
Herb of the year goes to. GeseGeek.
This is a knick fan forums. Who wants to log on and read "we are gonna get blown out tonight"
Such a herbbbbbbbbbbbb

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Theres 2 things I'm worried about against this team:

1:Our dry spells can't be excessive. If it is then we are TOAST.

2:The speed of the game has to be up-tempo even at the end when SA tries to slow it up in the 4th. If we try to play half court against their size we're in deep SHITakee.

agreed. i smell upset tho. we in the garden and i hope we run the floor all night and turiaf is going to be reeking havoc downlow. :) :gony: