Are the Knicks better WITHOUT Gallo?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Who's better Chandler or Gallo? I, you, we, the world, the NBA, everyone and their mother knows Chandler is better, why would I ask this.

"Who would you rather keep if you had to choose" means take everything int account
Contract
Ability
Versitility
Team needs
Philosophy/ strategy
Projection

Whatever into account then make a choice. I could ask the same when it comes to 2 arbitrary players to resign. These two happen to play the same position, but it could easily be the same for Douglas or Turiaf. If you had to choose one to keep who would it be?

To reiterate, I'm assuming someone has to be used for a trade. I'm assuming we can be better with an upgrade. I also assume we can't keep everyone, so I asked who would you rather keep, not who is better, I already know that.

That came on the heels of the topic are we better w/o Gallo? Some say yes some say no. But most figured how we play was the crux not if he should be traded which is a different topic.

We all know you and some more love or like Gallo. We already know why you love him so. Until last night and for a few what we won't know is given our new improved line up, have we progressed to the point where he isn't as important.

Is he expendable? Can we be better without him? See that's a question and its valid.

Gallo is garbage... that would be an example of "hate". There is a difference. If you defend Gallo, maybe you or others could say, no we need his shooting, or no we need him for trade bait whatever, but to defend him as if he where dissed or offended b/c I even asked looks funny.

Do you love him or see his value and place on our team? Is it the bench, as a starter, etc...

You assume too much. And you didn't start this thread with the intent of evaluation over the next 2-3 weeks while Gallo is out. Or at least it wasn't overly clear, if that was your intention. Particularly since you started the thread by saying "and now that I see us without him". After only 1 game kind of makes it look like you have zero intention of fair evaluation.

If we dominate they way we did last night with Chandler playing SF for the majority (or at least the most important) of the games in the next 2-3 weeks, as well as Amare at PF and Turaif at C, then yes, evaluating Gallo's overall need for this team is a legitimate question.

If not though, somehow I doubt the Gallo/D'Antoni haters will ever acknowledge his value to this team. Did you notice that the pick-and-roll was almost non-existant? But some people just hate and enjoy being negative about the Knicks, and for the life of me, I can't understand why so much of it is directed towards Gallo. It seems rather unfair, to me.

Last edited:

Blas

Benchwarmer
You assume too much. And you didn't start this thread with the intent of evaluation over the next 2-3 weeks while Gallo is out. Or at least it wasn't overly clear, if that was your intention. Particularly since you started the thread by saying "and now that I see us without him". After only 1 game kind of makes it look like you have zero intention of fair evaluation.

If we dominate they way we did last night with Chandler playing SF for the majority (or at least the most important) of the games in the next 2-3 weeks, as well as Amare at PF and Turaif at C, then yes, evaluating Gallo's overall need for this team is a legitimate question.

If not though, somehow I doubt the Gallo/D'Antoni haters will ever acknowledge his value to this team. Did you notice that the pick-and-roll was almost non-existant? But some people just hate and enjoy being negative about the Knicks, and for the life of me, I can't understand why so much of it is directed towards Gallo. It seems rather unfair, to me.

LJ this thread was made with most purest and honest intentions regardless of the OP's MO or his very first post of this thread.

This game proves that without Gallo we can beat the most elite teams, so his value means negative, he makes us worse. See last nights score for proof of this statement.

Chandler plays SF, it is what he plays SF not PF, he only plays PF because D'antoni doesn't know how to coach and does not realize Chandler is a SF and not a PF, but he plays SF. Last night he played SF for some minutes that is why we won. If we had Gallo then Chandler would never have played SF last night, because Chandler never plays SF when Gallo is in the line-up. Because of this we beat the Spurs.

Gallo needs to die!

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Bottom line: Chandler's kicking butt. I put the past in the past and became a Gallo supporter, because he's a Knick, period. However, as things are, if Melo is on the trading block, I'm sending Gallo to the Nuggs before I give up Chandler.

And if the Nuggs insist on Chandler, as I would, if I were their GM, we have to give up the Thrill. A Melo and STAT duo makes us a real championship contender.

Just my 2 cents.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I'm sorry but Red your becoming notorious for jumping the gun.

You did it with that nonsensical "the verdict is in" thread and now you're doing it again.

It's been one game. ONE GAME.

Maybe we would be better off with Gallo coming off the bench, but i'm not ready to say that after seeing us play one time w out him.

And yes, Chandler is obviously better,right now.

Gallo will continue to grow. He will round out his game and become more comfortable w what he can do. He's still very young and he doesn't have as much experience as Chandler.

The haterz need to settle down and give him more time. Gallo has a deep talent base and a good mind. He has a lot to work w.

Reactions: pat

Blas

Benchwarmer

You did it with that nonsensical "the verdict is in" thread and now you're doing it again.

Maybe we would be better off with Gallo coming the bench, but i'm not ready to say that after seeing us play one time w out him.

Gallo will continue to grow. He will round out his game and become more comfortable w what he can do. He's still very young and he doesn't have as much experience as Chandler.

The haterz need to settle down and give him more time. Gallo has a deep talent base and a good mind. He has a lot to work w.

+1 Some sensibility!

legend33

Rookie
gallo is overrated, and so is his fkn "so - called talent base"

ive been watching ball for years, he's not even a schrempf or tom chambers...

and hes not even THAT efficient a shooter... what he is is a skinny pf who can't rebound well for his size...

he's not a sniper, nor is he a "pf"....

he's a hot/cold type of scorer...

Red

TYPE-A

I assume because I don't know, but damn aren't some assumptions valid?
And yes, thats exactly why I started this thread...
1. to guage opinions before we see our next stretch of games
2. to have a discussion and keep us busy until we whup up on some other teams

my bad if that wasn't clear, along with "without Gallo" (in the line-up), not should we trade or get rid of Gallo.. or Gallo is whack. As a regular you should know mine and everyones stance on that because we have threads discussing that. I label Gallo as "sloppy but effective".

Gallo is targeted (as at one point probably everyone was/is) because of the hype that preceded him and because of his involvement with coach.

When you evaluate (using this info that others mention) you have to ask what's really fair and what's the motives like...

Is or does coach play favorites maybe because the player is his godson?
Were other players given the same opportunities to fail or was the leash a bit longer?
Would Gallo have even been drafted or drafted so high if he didnt have an association with coach?

another is.. although he has progressed, although he scores 15ppg, and everything if we swap his offensive production for more defense can we still compete at the same level?

What motivated me was the pre-game article I read and posted in the game thread comparing us with and without him

Those numbers they compiled and conclusion was based on a different version of our team (like maybe we weren't gelling yet, or maybe before Chandler stepped his game up, or Ray and Stat clicking, etc...) so it made me think knowing what we geniuses here at KOL know, will those numbers hold true or can we offer different theories.

I theorized that we basically peeked offensively with him. And you know i love defense too, so i felt we could use less shooters and more defenders. I hoped MDA could add this to his repertoire by seeing what a difference it makes. so i envisioned...

we would..
obviously defend better, and hold teams to lower scores
be less turnover prone and efficient
move the ball better
not rely so much on jumpers
find different ways to win games
compete better against the elite
better rebounding
find a more suitable role for Gallo like maybe off the bench

etc.. etc... I just saw mad positives (not to mention the trade scenarios)
but also felt this could be an opportunity to explore things that we couldn't otherwise.

I mentioned Tiki Barber. He was the whole Giants offense at a time. He was their best player and no doubt one of the best in the league. He definitely was their leader.
But once they didn't re-sign him everyone was going crazy. No one knew what to expect.

The very next year the GMen won the SB against an UNDEFEATED team. Who would've thunk it?

My point is that sometimes its addition by subtraction. Sometimes when you use tunnel vision and go so hard to make someone what you want them to be and support, love and project them so much, you can lose sight of the possibilities...

See: David Lee replaced by STAT.

There's so much I feel we can do, and so much we might be missing that I relish an opportunity like this that allows us to evaluate, make changes, use other assets and potentially improve (or we could potentially learn he is indispensable)

Lastly, (not sure if you like baseball or football), the Yankees payed mad $ trying to fill the hole at 2nd base (a few yrs back). They made trades, free agents etc... only to bring up a rookie after an injury.

This rookie was Robinson Cano, one of the best to do it. He was right there in the farms and Cashmen overlooked him time and again. Remind you of anything. I just like keeping an open mind and analyzing/projecting. My bad for the long post.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A

and give him more time. Gallo has a deep talent base and a good mind. He has a lot to work w.

Maybe we would be better off with Gallo coming off the bench, but i'm not ready to say that after seeing us play one time w out him.
thanks for your opinion.
Have you not seen 34 games with Gallo in and out of the line up? You can't come to a conclusion based on that, and your knowledge of the game? Thats cool.

I theorize we are better for multiple reasons, and Gallos role can and should be tweaked. Jumping the gun, or stating an opinion you don't agree with, make the call.

Thanks again. Chandler will continue to grow. He will round out his game and become more comfortable w what he can do. He's still very young (23) and he has more experience than Gallo. Hello?

and.. there is no need to compare these two, there's no comparison.

The haterz need to settle down

all i can say is pots & kettles.

Back on topic... reiterated:

Can we be better by starting a center like Turriaf instead of Gallo?

MBlackVJesusP7

Benchwarmer
We always hate Red for making these threads, yet they always get a gagillion replies and are an interesting read so I'm not complaining lol.

Still it is fascinating to see some of the dislike for Gallo.

skisloper

Starter
Its like he is almost Gallophobic.

So if we lose our next four games is it because we do not have Gallo.

if we lost this game you would have said Anthony Randolph would have made the difference...

why not just appreciate all the knicks players and the playoff bound team we have after the many disasterous seasons in the past.

You may be know basketball but you resort to a 5 year olds argument that associated one with a finite conclusion.

skisloper

Starter
Its like he is almost Gallophobic.

So if we lose our next four games is it because we do not have Gallo.

if we lost this game you would have said Anthony Randolph would have made the difference...

why not just appreciate all the knicks players and the playoff bound team we have after the many disasterous seasons in the past.

You may be know basketball but you resort to a 5 year olds argument that associated one with a finite conclusion.

sorry...One win with a finite conclusion...

dude be positive and stop complaining........

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Gallo has been instrumental in many of our wins this year. Probably more than Chandler, individually.

Huh? WTF?

Dude your obviously A Gallo homer, like many others on here you defend him no matter what when the writing is on the wall. Walsh, a man whose opinion I value a whole lot higher than anybody on heres has already stated he is committed to resigning Chandler. Chandler inconsistent, are you retarded he and Stat have been the steadiest all season long?

Your making it out like we want to trade Gallo for nothing, theres another ridiculous assumption. The idea is to let him get his minutes and try to get his stock up. Then If we can make a trade to a desperate denever team or manage to get good value for Gallo then we make a move, While i may not value him highly there are plenty of other teams who may share your opinion and bite on a trade.

If we don't trade him, then we can certainly cut his minutes down, or put him on the bench. This isn't a Gallo hate fest but rater an evaluation of whether or not he fits into our scheme. If I were a team that desperately needed a SF I would love to ave Gallo, as he can start for most teams. But the fact of the matter is we are loaded with Swingmen, Wilson, Landry, Bill Walker can all play the position.

Nobody is saying Bill Walker or Shawne Williams is better than Gallo, thats another stupid claim your trying to make. Rather if e can trade Gallo for reasonable value or have him come off the bench and be a weapon for our second unit, perhaps that can be better for the team. You didn;t hear me wining wen Chandler was coming off the bench. So if Will who is clearly > than Gallo, Gallo being the character guy that e is would surely have no problem coming off the bench if D'Antoni would quit playing favorites with him.

You seem like an intelligent guy, but if your going to respond to or quote me, for Christ's sake rebutt the argument i am making, stay on topic and don't put words in my mouth.

Red

TYPE-A
Huh? WTF?

Dude your obviously A Gallo homer, like many others on here you defend him no matter what when the writing is on the wall. Walsh, a man whose opinion I value a whole lot higher than anybody on heres has already stated he is committed to resigning Chandler. Chandler inconsistent, are you retarded he and Stat have been the steadiest all season long?

Your making it out like we want to trade Gallo for nothing, theres another ridiculous assumption. The idea is to let him get his minutes and try to get his stock up. Then If we can make a trade to a desperate denever team or manage to get good value for Gallo then we make a move, While i may not value him highly there are plenty of other teams who may share your opinion and bite on a trade.

If we don't trade him, then we can certainly cut his minutes down, or put him on the bench. This isn't a Gallo hate fest but rater an evaluation of whether or not he fits into our scheme. If I were a team that desperately needed a SF I would love to ave Gallo, as he can start for most teams. But the fact of the matter is we are loaded with Swingmen, Wilson, Landry, Bill Walker can all play the position.

Nobody is saying Bill Walker or Shawne Williams is better than Gallo, thats another stupid claim your trying to make. Rather if e can trade Gallo for reasonable value or have him come off the bench and be a weapon for our second unit, perhaps that can be better for the team. You didn;t hear me wining wen Chandler was coming off the bench. So if Will who is clearly > than Gallo, Gallo being the character guy that e is would surely have no problem coming off the bench if D'Antoni would quit playing favorites with him.

You seem like an intelligent guy, but if your going to respond to or quote me, for Christ's sake rebutt the argument i am making, stay on topic and don't put words in my mouth.
I can dig it. Good points.

A dude can't even ask if we are better without Gallo without offending some supporters. Smh.
When Ill Will was coming off the bench who was b*tching? Nobody. When Ill Will was inserted into the starting line up...(Cause he's versitile enough to do that) who b*tched? No one, there was no need because those who know Wilson know he'll get his regardless.

Remove Gallo for one game, ask if maybe we can reduce the offense and increase the D...

Bricks in the draws. Where's the confidence?

Where's the conviction to form an opinion and state it without inferring and getting emo? Gallo supporters don't have a clue about how they are making themselves look, and no one even mentioned trading him. Funny, I guess they see writing on the walls.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer

Hey Ron your one of my favorites on here, but please your senseless defense of Gallo is becoming more and more pointless and by just dismissing fans like myself and others who are Knicks Fans first, Gallo fans second by calling us haters is useless and makes arguing with you almost impossible.

Again as I and others have allready stated, tis thread and the growing anti-gallo sentiment is not a reaction to one freaking game. He did not even play in this game. This is an evaluation of is career and his season so far. Gallo has talent potential blah blah, but so far in the real world he has been inconsistent and mediocre. Gallo has good games, Wilson is having a Good season. Theres a big difference. As for his I.Q. level I'm not blown away by it as all he knows how to do is pump fake and flop. He is not an amazing pick n roll player, hes not a good rebounder or distributor. As for talent and Athleticism I would say Wilson is far more athletic and as efficient as it gets for a 6'8 frame as e gets blocks and rebounds at a reasonable rate, Gallo is average 4 rebounds at 6'10, is not very fast and looks to be herky jerky or out of control not like when he dribbles the ball.

For every good Game Gallo has hes had about 3-4 bad ones. On top of that This team is not desperate for offense and shooting. We have plenty of wing and perimeter players. Where as Chandler gives us what we desperately need which is defense and rebounding. Oh and Chandler is shooting at a higher percentage and his 3 point shooting percentage is improving, so he basically as everything Gallo has right now except maybe for the ability to get to the line. This is relevant because if we want Melo or some other players we are going to have to choose between these two players, I think letting Gallo go for value is the correct choice, despite the fact e will get better as all of you ave said a million times. The dirty little secret is he will probably not get much better and I guarantee you and everybody else he will never be a good rebounder or defender.

Just think about this for a moment..

Dump Duhon get Felton
Dump David Lee get Amar'e
Dump Gallo get Melo

Dump Mediocre get Elite

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Huh? WTF?

Talk about putting words in my mouth. I never argued who is better. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench, if it makes us better.

I'm just saying making a judgement that this team is better without Gallo (or a player traded for Gallo) is premature after one game. That is all. And it seems like the people that dislike Gallo (for the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would hate Gallo) are too quick to pass judgement.

Unfortunately, these people will never give Gallo a fair chance, no matter what he does, so there really is no point in debating. You are anit-Gallo, you said it yourself. Why? I have not seen this much hate for a player since Marbury. It doesn't make sense.

Why are you so quick to want to get rid of him? He's not a bad player. He hasn't lost any games for us. Why do I have to defend a Knick, from Knick "fans", who has done nothing wrong? Can't we root for both Chandler and Gallo? I do. I will defend both players.

And yes, Chandler was inconsistent his whole career up until this year. And yes, Gallo has been instrumental in many of our wins. I know you dislike him and it may be difficult to objectively watch Gallo, but he has made several clutch shots for us this year, whether you like it or not.

I have never seen or heard of a player giving so many opportunities to get his act together, especially on the Knicks. I guess having the coach as your pops has a lot to do with that.

I mean, for a player that can't play thru minor injuries, inconsistant shooter, a lousy rebounder (at 6'10), flopper, weak, no handle, constantly posterized, poor defensively, rarely finishes his drive to the rack, and hurts the teams chemistry...is getting more praise than I would have ever imagine.
I knew what was up when Wilson was demoted to 6th man so Gallo can start and get votes for the Allstar. He clearly out played Gallo for the start. But hay thats my opinion. I can't imagine anyone voting for him, not if they saw how he was playing this year.

We can do better and we should grasp at every opportunity.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
Yes, the Knicks are better off without Gallo.

That is the narrative "Red" has been trying to sell ever since the Big Cock invaded his Knicks fandom.

Like this post, from 11 months ago.....

Yo OG...

Thanks, that sh*t you wrote was hillarious!!

I'm glad to see someone other than me has taken the rose colored glasses off.

The real deal is our FIRST TEAM (Lee, Gallo, Duhon etc) is nothing more than a bench squad.

I've made that same point regarding bball IQ- get the f*ck outta here with that sh*t. Either you know how to play or not. It parallels the whole "he's so articulate" thing when some describe African Americans. Just More weak excuse b.s.

But peep it... you said...

"Areas of focus: he should learn to dribble, post up, to shoot jumpers other than threes, and work on his vertical leap. Either way, he will always be a bust."

O... you mean he needs to learn the game of BASKETBALL! Smfh!

Question: How much of your life do you obsess over hating Gallo just because he doesn't look the way you do?

skisloper

Starter
I have never seen or heard of a player giving so many opportunities to get his act together, especially on the Knicks. I guess having the coach as your pops has a lot to do with that.

I mean, for a player that can't play thru minor injuries, inconsistant shooter, a lousy rebounder (at 6'10), flopper, weak, no handle, constantly posterized, poor defensively, rarely finishes his drive to the rack, and hurts the teams chemistry...is getting more praise than I would have ever imagine.
I knew what was up when Wilson was demoted to 6th man so Gallo can start and get votes for the Allstar. He clearly out played Gallo for the start. But hay thats my opinion. I can't imagine anyone voting for him, not if they saw how he was playing this year.

We can do better and we should grasp at every opportunity.

I think your belief that there is a conspiracy when it comes to Gallo's playing time is a little off beat. He is 22 years old and only getting better. For the life of me I cannot understand why you are so down on him.

Defensively he shut Durant down which enabled us to win the game...Do u remember Durant in that 2nd half ? Gallo stayed toe to toe with him.

His pick up of 9 foul shots in the first half against Indian all on drives is another sign....

Agree he needs to bring it every night but I think you are putting a lot on Chandler who had his way of also vanishing....

I do not disagree with Gallo being a 6th man.

But come on why are you negative ?

If I am correct werent you anti-Stat and also in the first 10 games anti-Stat ?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Are we better without Gallinari?
Wilson Chandler back @ his NATURAL position as was Amare...

Wilson inparticular was a beast.
Gallo is too streaky and is suited for a bench role at best imo.

Is Gallo trade bait... would you rather keep him or Chandler IF you had to choose.

I also don't like the feeling that we force Gallo shots and force his role, and now that I see us without him, it looks more glaring.

He can contribute, he has size, but his effciency may hinder us, plus consider the CENTER we might be able to replace him with...

That big is needed more than an inconsistent 3pt shooter

I agree with everything above. I don't agree with the thread title. There isn't a team in the league that'd be better without Gallo.

If I had to choose between either The Cock or The Thrill, it'd be Wilson for sure. Versatility on both ends, his shot has opened new doors for him this year. The Empty Faced Killer!

Interesting that the expectations for Gallo were met by Chandler and not the other way round this year. Chandler's a machine. So glad Walsh is committed to re-signing him in the post-season.