Are the Knicks better WITHOUT Gallo?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Talk about putting words in my mouth. I never argued who is better. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench, if it makes us better.

I'm just saying making a judgement that this team is better without Gallo (or a player traded for Gallo) is premature after one game. That is all. And it seems like the people that dislike Gallo (for the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would hate Gallo) are too quick to pass judgement.

Wow you don't read my posts do you...

For the last time I said my dislike for Gallo comes from watching his whole career not just 1 game retard...

And like many others on here I have been patient awaiting the "all-star" to emerge from this 6-10 dynamic import, but it hasn;t happened.... not even close.

Gallo will not be an all-star or even a top flight player its you sir who is delusional so you need to "fuh-ged-aboud-it."

As for being objective, you clearly are not dude. Gallo has been a net negative to this team, It is a fact tat he has shot us out of more games then he has has won for us, if you want to talk about potential thats an argument bur right now he is no where near the level of Wilson or Even fields for that matter.

I will no longer respond to your posts let alone read any more cause i swear every time i read one i get dumber.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Hey Ron your one of my favorites on here, but please your senseless defense of Gallo is becoming more and more pointless and by just dismissing fans like myself and others who are Knicks Fans first, Gallo fans second by calling us haters is useless and makes arguing with you almost impossible.

Again as I and others have allready stated, tis thread and the growing anti-gallo sentiment is not a reaction to one freaking game. He did not even play in this game. This is an evaluation of is career and his season so far. Gallo has talent potential blah blah, but so far in the real world he has been inconsistent and mediocre. Gallo has good games, Wilson is having a Good season. Theres a big difference. As for his I.Q. level I'm not blown away by it as all he knows how to do is pump fake and flop. He is not an amazing pick n roll player, hes not a good rebounder or distributor. As for talent and Athleticism I would say Wilson is far more athletic and as efficient as it gets for a 6'8 frame as e gets blocks and rebounds at a reasonable rate, Gallo is average 4 rebounds at 6'10, is not very fast and looks to be herky jerky or out of control not like when he dribbles the ball.

For every good Game Gallo has hes had about 3-4 bad ones. On top of that This team is not desperate for offense and shooting. We have plenty of wing and perimeter players. Where as Chandler gives us what we desperately need which is defense and rebounding. Oh and Chandler is shooting at a higher percentage and his 3 point shooting percentage is improving, so he basically as everything Gallo has right now except maybe for the ability to get to the line. This is relevant because if we want Melo or some other players we are going to have to choose between these two players, I think letting Gallo go for value is the correct choice, despite the fact e will get better as all of you ave said a million times. The dirty little secret is he will probably not get much better and I guarantee you and everybody else he will never be a good rebounder or defender.

Just think about this for a moment..

Dump Duhon get Felton
Dump David Lee get Amar'e
Dump Gallo get Melo

Dump Mediocre get Elite

Bleedblue u my dude. I wasn't saying you're a hater. But there are pockets of them. I won't name names... All along I've thought you've been pretty objective about Gallo's abilities.

I just don't agree w you and Red.

While I agree that Chandler is becoming what I would classify as a really good player, I've always thought Gallo has the higher likelihood of becoming the better player. Through his ups and downs i'm patient w him.

I just think Gallo had the bigger talent reservoir to start w and sooner or later, like Chandler, he will start to put it all together. That's all.

I still think Gallo is the better shooter, from all ranges and in all categories. I think Gallo is a surer ball-handler by far. I think Gallo is more aware on offense and is and will continue to be a better playmaking/ facilitator. And I think G has the bigger fire in the belly.

That's not to take anything away from Chandler as he is the better athelete and rebounder, and has grown in a lot of areas. He's also more physical than Gallo and a better defender also..

But, most importantly, the game has slowed down for him. He is much more comfortable because of this. This shows in Chandler's longer periods of sustained aggressiveness during games. There are stretches where he just owns.

I do not think the game has slowed down for Gallo yet. To me he seems to be pressing a lot of times, not quite settled.

I can't wait til he gets that comfort level tho.

We've seen it for a half, or a quarter here and there. We ALL saw it against Melo. I remember one quarter this season early on where G dropped 21 and it was a something to marvel. But he's been spotty, unsure for sure. He's still feeling his way.

I honestly still think he will be the better player, whether he's on the Knicks or not.

I also do not think it is wise to bring him off the bench and I don't think Mike D and will do this unless we have an insanely good run w out him. The reason its not a good idea is because the lineup of:

Felton
Fields
Gallo
Chandler
Amare

Is our best lineup. It might not be the most balanced, but it incorporates the best players on our team..

There's nobody on our bench that coach could really justify starting over Gallo, unless the team is just playing crazy good w the starting lineup as it's presently constituted.

Plus it's not like he'd played badly in games before the injury, or even just before he got slammed into by that idiot. Posey was it? Anyway, benching Gallo would hurt his confidence and I don't think thas what he needs at this stage.

But, like I said if the team is on roll you stick w what's working and let Gallo work his way back in somehow. Gallo is a team guy and i'm sure he'd be frustrated but would ultimately do what's best for the team if we're going good. He wouldn't be able to argue w success. It wouldn't be right.

Ultimately I think the debate of Gallo versus Chandler is kinda silly. They will both be real good players.

It's nice to see Chandler blooming fully right before our eyes. I will continue to wait patiently for Gallo to do the same.

Last edited:

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I have never seen or heard of a player giving so many opportunities to get his act together, especially on the Knicks. I guess having the coach as your pops has a lot to do with that.

I mean, for a player that can't play thru minor injuries, inconsistant shooter, a lousy rebounder (at 6'10), flopper, weak, no handle, constantly posterized, poor defensively, rarely finishes his drive to the rack, and hurts the teams chemistry...is getting more praise than I would have ever imagine.
I knew what was up when Wilson was demoted to 6th man so Gallo can start and get votes for the Allstar. He clearly out played Gallo for the start. But hay thats my opinion. I can't imagine anyone voting for him, not if they saw how he was playing this year.

We can do better and we should grasp at every opportunity.

Exactly +1

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Bleedblue u my dude. I wasn't saying you're a hater. But there are pockets of them. I won't name names... All along I've thought you've been pretty objective about Gallo's abilities.

I just don't agree w you and Red.

While I agree that Chandler is becoming what I would classify as a really good player, I've always thought Gallo has the higher likelihood of becoming the better player. Through his ups and downs i'm patient w him.

I just think Gallo had the bigger talent reservoir to start w and sooner or later, like Chandler, he will start to put it all together. That's all.

I still think Gallo is the better shooter, from all ranges and in all categories. I think Gallo is a surer ball-handler by far. I think Gallo is more aware on offense and is and will continue to be a better playmaking/ facilitator. And I think G has the bigger fire in the belly.

That's not to take anything away from Chandler as he is the better athelete and rebounded has grown in a lot of areas. He's also more physical than Gallo and a better defender.

But, most importantly, the game has slowed down for him. He is much more comfortable because of this. This shows in Chandler's longer periods of sustained aggressiveness during games. There are stretches where he just owns.

I do not think the game has slowed down for Gallo yet. To me he seems to be pressing a lot of times, not quite settled.

I can't wait til he gets that comfort level tho.

We've seen it for a half, or a quarter here and there. We ALL saw it against Melo. I remember one quarter where G dropped 21 and it was a something to marvel. But he's been spotty, unsure. He's still feeling his way.

I honestly still think he will be the better player, whether he's on the Knicks or not.

I also do not think it is wise to bring him off the bench and I don't think Mike D and will do this unless we have an insanely good run w out him. The reason its not a good idea is because the lineup of:

Felton
Fields
Gallo
Chandler
Amare

Is our best lineup. It might not be the most balanced, but it incorporates the best players on our team..

There's nobody on our bench that coach could really justify starting over Gallo, unless the team is just playing crazy good w the starting lineup as it's presently constituted.

Plus it's not like he'd played badly in games before the injury, or even just before he got slammed into by that idiot. Posey was it? Anyway, benching Gallo would hurt his confidence and I don't think thas what he needs at this stage.

But, like I said if the team is on roll you stick w what's working and let Gallo work his way back in somehow. Gallo is a team guy and i'm sure he'd be frustrated but would ultimately do what's best for the team if we're going good. He wouldn't be able to argue w success. It wouldn't be right.

Ultimately I think the debate of Gallo versus Chandler is kinda silly. They will both be real good players.

It's nice to see Chandler blooming fully right before our eyes. I will continue to wait patiently for Gallo to do the same.

You make your points Ron, as always and I have come to respect your opinion. I think the misunderstanding between the pro gallo guys and the doubters like myself is we are arguing to different things.

I totally agree that a 22 year old 6-10 player who can shoot from outside and has reasonable ball handling skills should not be overlooked or discarded. However, I am not saying that Gallo doesn't have potential. Just like it must of annoyed the hell out of you to see people on here saying Randolph is better than Gallo all based on potential, then surely u can understand how frustrating it is when Gallo continues to praised on potential alone and not o success. Let say Gallo maxes out his potential and becomes Dirk Nowitzki and Wilson Chandler maxes out and becomes a young Ron Artest. Clearly you take Nowitzki over Artest. But what i am arguing is not who has the greatest ceiling but who will actually fufill their potential to the greatest.

What I and others are saying is that Gallo wile talented, young yada yada ... blah blah blah, he will most likely not improve that much based on these annoying things called facts and observations. While Anthony Randolph Could be a slash between Kevin Garnet, Marcus Camby and Batman, he will most likely just be another terrific athletic specimen that was not cut out t play basketball.

Wilson on the other hand has been steady all season and if he were to stabilize right where he is right now your talking Legitimate third option on any team in the league. If Wilson finishes the season like this, he will be a proven commodity.

When I say we are better without Gallo, i don't mean cut him or give him away for nothing!!!! Thats another ridiculous assertion pushed by the lesser posters on here. I mean we are better served with another piece that Gallo could fetch us (go go msg marketing team) or Gallo coming off the bench as additional firepower. Everybody raves about his ability to draw fouls and make plays. Oh Emm Gee I agree with you guys here!

Imagine Gallo coming off the bench as the focal point of the offense. He is no longer a gunner but rather a Hedo Turkoglu type Playmaker. Playing point forward h gives Felton a rest and allows Toney Douglas to just be a shooter and not to pretend like e knows how to run a pick n roll. I could be wrong about Gallo coming off the bench but is not worth a try, as I feel he is at is best when he has the ball in his hands driving to the basket and shooting rhythm. I bet you and I agree on much more then you realize.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Huh? WTF?

Your making it out like we want to trade Gallo for nothing, theres another ridiculous assumption. The idea is to let him get his minutes and try to get his stock up. Then If we can make a trade to a desperate denever team or manage to get good value for Gallo then we make a move, While i may not value him highly there are plenty of other teams who may share your opinion and bite on a trade.

If we don't trade him, then we can certainly cut his minutes down, or put him on the bench. This isn't a Gallo hate fest but rater an evaluation of whether or not he fits into our scheme. If I were a team that desperately needed a SF I would love to ave Gallo, as he can start for most teams. But the fact of the matter is we are loaded with Swingmen, Wilson, Landry, Bill Walker can all play the position.

Nobody is saying Bill Walker or Shawne Williams is better than Gallo, thats another stupid claim your trying to make. Rather if e can trade Gallo for reasonable value or have him come off the bench and be a weapon for our second unit, perhaps that can be better for the team. You didn;t hear me wining wen Chandler was coming off the bench. So if Will who is clearly > than Gallo, Gallo being the character guy that e is would surely have no problem coming off the bench if D'Antoni would quit playing favorites with him.

Are the Knicks better without Gallo?

Hmmmm. From what I see overall Gallo is a quality player he does some things people don't realize. On defense he stays in front of the players who he is defending either harassing them or drawing charges. He has been a huge help in some wins the Knicks have had. The only way the Knicks are better without Gallo is someone on the bench shows how little the Knicks need Gallo, like Sean Williams or Bill Walker. I don't think those two players are better than Gallo.

Then there is the argument I see why the Knicks are better without Gallo, which is the starters.
Felton
Fields
Chandler
Stat
Turiaf

I agree strongly with Chandler is playing better than Gallo, but you can't rule him out completely because he helps at times. Turiaf is also playing very well and giving a defensive presence. It is something to look at, to have Gallo come off the bench. This will be possible to see if they take things slow for when he comes back from recovery. It has only been a game but on thing is to pay attention to how the starters play.I like Gallo but wouldn't care if we trade him for a good trade.

For now overall the Knicks are better with Gallo.

I think your belief that there is a conspiracy when it comes to Gallo's playing time is a little off beat. He is 22 years old and only getting better. For the life of me I cannot understand why you are so down on him.

Defensively he shut Durant down which enabled us to win the game...Do u remember Durant in that 2nd half ? Gallo stayed toe to toe with him.

His pick up of 9 foul shots in the first half against Indian all on drives is another sign....

Agree he needs to bring it every night but I think you are putting a lot on Chandler who had his way of also vanishing....

I do not disagree with Gallo being a 6th man.

But come on why are you negative ?

If I am correct werent you anti-Stat and also in the first 10 games anti-Stat ?

He is being pampered by his pops. The proof is there. Gallo was outplayed by Wilson in the preseason and was still declared the starter, courtesy of pop dukes of course. As far as Durant goes...Anyone can have an off quarter/half/or game. But, if you consistantly have a bad game, and can't contribute in any other way than you are not a good player.

I gave you all the reasons why I don't like him, you want to ignored them fine. Don't ask questions if you don't want to acknowledge the answers. No other player has been giving the same chances. If you are going to be giving slack and privildges...you better make good on them or prepare to be exposed.

Last 2 years the team was being torn apart. I was at many of those games because tickets were practically free. I've seen first hand the favoritism. Gallo was giving the green light because the team was uninspired due to all the trades. This was evident in Wilson's game and attitude. Did you notice Wilsons numbers at the end of last year, he was hurt and still performed very well. All Gallo did was throw up shots as soon as the ball was passed to him. His shooting wasn't even that impressive. He was second in the league in 3pt attempts with a weak shooting percentage (wtf, he is not a PG or SG). TBH, If Wilson wasn't on this team I probably wouldn't even noticed the favoritism, but anyone can see Gallos game isn't as great as most of his fans make it out to be. I'm thru with giving this guy a chance to step it up. No way would any other coach settle for his play if they had an opportunity to get an elite player to take his place....would you?

Edit: oh, I don't remember saying anything negative about Stat....other than that naked flick he took for a magazine early in the season.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Wow you don't read my posts do you...

For the last time I said my dislike for Gallo comes from watching his whole career not just 1 game retard...

And like many others on here I have been patient awaiting the "all-star" to emerge from this 6-10 dynamic import, but it hasn;t happened.... not even close.

Gallo will not be an all-star or even a top flight player its you sir who is delusional so you need to "fuh-ged-aboud-it."

As for being objective, you clearly are not dude. Gallo has been a net negative to this team, It is a fact tat he has shot us out of more games then he has has won for us, if you want to talk about potential thats an argument bur right now he is no where near the level of Wilson or Even fields for that matter.

I will no longer respond to your posts let alone read any more cause i swear every time i read one i get dumber.

No need for the personal insults. It is your own fault if you get frustrated.

And you are guilty of not reading my posts as it is YOU who keep's putting words in my mouth. I have never argued that Gallo would become "an all-star or even a top flight player". He has shown flashes of brilliance, yes, and I all I'm arguing for is to not give up on him. I don't know how you can call me "delusional" for giving him a chance.

I gave up on Chandler too early and I regret it and am glad I was wrong. He was inconsistent, like Gallo, disappeared from games, like Gallo, had excruciatingly bad shooting games, like Gallo, settled too much for the 3, like Gallo, and many thought he had reached his ceiling and would never improve, like Gallo. Isn't possible for you to be wrong too? How can you make judgements after less than a year and a half? If we had done that with Chandler, he would be on another team right now. I'm not ready to give up on Randolph either, and he's not even playing.

And I disagree, I don't think Gallo has lost more games for us than he's won. Statements like these make me believe you have hated him from the beginning.

During our 3-8 slump, Gallo was benched for large portions of these games because he was shooting poorly. But during this winning streak he has been playing very well and has been a major contributor to our current winning record. Inconsistent at times, yes, but he hasn't lost any games for us. I don't know how a so-called objective observer of this season can argue any different.

If you have been objective in previous threads, then I apologize. I don't keep track of everyone's stance on every subject. The overwhelming majority of people that hate Gallo made up their mind from day one and have never watched Gallo play with any fairness whatsoever.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Many people gave up on Chandler, which was wrong.

So why give up on Gallo?

Chandler was just as inconsistent as Gallo up until this year. Awful outside shooter, awful ball-handling, poor decision maker, settled too much for the 3, was not aggressive. Chandler changed all these things THIS YEAR!!

Why can't Gallo? He's already shown he can. Anybody that scores 20 point in a half has talent. He's already showing more aggressiveness and it's been paying off.

And nobody on here can claim they can evaluate NBA talent that well. We are all fans on an internet forum for Christ's sake. No scouts here. Just armchair quarterbacks.

And the favoritism argument is total bull. He benched Gallo for large portions of games this year during his slump. Didn't even play him a whole 2nd half once. Didn't even play one second after half time. Starting him this year had more to do with spacing/outside shooting and up until this year Chandler was an awful outside shooter.

Some people just hate and will always hate no matter what. I wonder if these fans get angry when Gallo has a good game. SMH.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Chandler was just as inconsistent as Gallo up until this year. Awful outside shooter, awful ball-handling, poor decision maker, settled too much for the 3, was not aggressive. Chandler changed all these things THIS YEAR!!

Why can't Gallo?.

And that is how it is. I think the Gallo hate is impertinent. Wil has an extra year under his belt, if Gallo were to improve as dramatically and abruptly over the same frame, to pull out The Cock now would be a poorly timed withdrawal. Sorry, I can't help but be obsessed with phallic naughtiness.

I agree that him playing Chandler's prior bench role is a good move, but selling out on Gallo is not.

moneyg

Starter
LJ wins.
Gallo wins.

can anyone .. ANYONE show me one game that Gallo has put up big numbers against a good team.. JUST ONE GAME.. the only thing i remember him doing was drawing that flop of a foul on Melo.. that was his feel good moment of the season..

and denver aint even that good..

just one game guys...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
can anyone .. ANYONE show me one game that Gallo has put up big numbers against a good team.. JUST ONE GAME.. the only thing i remember him doing was drawing that flop of a foul on Melo.. that was his feel good moment of the season..

and denver aint even that good..

just one game guys...

Boston - 20 pts (0 in first half, frustrating, but those are big numbers)
Miami - 25 pts
Bulls - 24 pts

People need to Realize..he's only 22....putting up 15 a game...hes 6'10..he can dribble and drive and shoot and play D...his potential great..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The thing about Chandler is, I'm over 90% of not thinking about his inconsistency in the past when watching his game, which is a huge turnaround. This is his fourth season, so we'll have to wait to see how Gallo is in HIS fourth season, or even the one after since he didn't play that many games in his first season.

Chandler has reached where we want him to at LEAST be, Gallo is still inconsistent as the other seasons. I'll give him a chance.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
People need to Realize..he's only 22....putting up 15 a game...hes 6'10..he can dribble and drive and shoot and play D...his potential great..

A lot of people on the forum, intelligent people even, really don't understand what you, a newb, just posted.

They act like they do, but they don't. Otherwise they wouldn't talk like they do.

Your made a lot of sense w your assessment above..