How about Spencer Hawes for a cheap Center

iJoe

Rotation player
He's on the last year of his contract and should be available for dirt cheap as the 76ers aren't playing him much. We could snag him in a sign and trade or just straight up sign him in the offseason for pennies.

Pros:
- Can shoot the 3 as well as mix it up with multiple smooth post moves
- Blocks Shots
- Run the floor decently
- Passes the ball very well
- Still young

Cons:
- Tendancy to disappear in games
- Rebounding is on and off
- Very finesse and not much of a banger
- Settles for 3s a little too much

Overall wouldn't be a bad backup Center for cheap and maybe even a quality starter if he can grow

I honestly haven't watched Hawes much but this seems like a low risk high reward gamble.
Hope some of you have some scouting info on him.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I'm gonna run with....

aww%20hell%20no.jpg

The specifics for our needs at center are an invert of what we'd get from Menstrual Whores.

We need a barbarian. Not a porcelain lady boy.

iJoe

Rotation player
I didn't say he was the perfect fit, but he might be the best bang for the buck.
At least come up with an alternative if you're gonna shoot it down. There aren't many free Centers out there if you haven't noticed.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Fair enough.

1. Hawes earns $2.5M till season's end. He puts up 6 & 5 and almost a block. That's not too bad, really. But $2.5M is too much for the role he'd play and the fit we need.

2. If we sign Barron, for instance, he'd get roughly the same (assumption) for approx $1.8M less - give or take. Not a solution, but equally as ill-fitting.

3. We don't just ask Philly to borrow him for the rest of the season. Who'd we give up? Azubuike? Curry!? Williams? Walker? A dead bird?

4. Hawes has nothing to do with addressing our needs: immediate or future, unless we get a much better center before hand.

5. His surname is Hawes.

6. No matter how dependant we become on filling the gap, we can't just subtract from our decent players, contracts, trade bait players or future picks etc. It MUST be completely worthwhile - not that Earl Barron is.

So, my better solution is to simply not trade for Spencer Hawes, at all.

iJoe

Rotation player
You can't compare this kid to Barron. He's a hell of a lot younger and got a ton more potential. You still haven't given me a name of another Center we can nab for cheap. He has flaws? Yes I already mentioned them, but he has a lot of positives too.

I stated that we can get him at the end of the season as a FA or sign and trade for cheap.

Again.... he's not the ideal candidate, but who else are we gonna get for cheap? This goes double for if we sign Melo and are salary strapped.

Hawes played a lot better in Sacto and has had some very good number games. He's the 10th pick and is indisputably skilled. I can see him turn into a Brad Miller. Again... its not ideal, but its far from the worst option. At the very least we can trade him after he gets his numbers up for someone more fitting.

Last point. Just when he started getting comfortable with more minutes, Kmart pummels him into an injury. He's admitted with playing with a bad back this season and that's certainly got to be effecting his play. This can be a good or bad thing, but it doesn't sound serious and I'm sure the medical staff will evaluate him before he signs.

mafra

Legend
I think Walsh has his eyes on 2 RFA this summer (Marc Gasol & DeAndre Jordan). I think he wants a big like this that he's actually seriously considering if it's worth it gutting the roster for Anthony.

iSaYughh

Starter
He's not a bad player or interesting guy to have on your team...But wrapping on what mafra n crazy8 have said, any amount of $ is too much $ for a big right now...Unless it's a real piece that'l plug some holes.

Like what I expect Walsh is drooling n scheming over: Melo + 1fa big (2 if we trade Turiaf r don't pick up his option).

Jordan, Perkins, Dalembert, BigBaby. Even AK47, tho he'd be a straight up pf for us.

This growing Deandre stuff is ridic, though. I was clamoring a yr ago for us to swoop in on him, and that Jordan>>>>>>Randolph. His game is ferocious, and he has great (underlying) numbers and his short career is littered w historic, truly, type games.

To say it's what we want n need is an understatement of epic proportions. If we could get him and Glen Davis...letting AR, Walker, Turiaf, Azzy, Curry, Chandler go...Wow. What a coup that'd be w bringing in Melo.

richtree

Rotation player
Yeah, plus Donnie seems to love DeAndre Jordan. We should keep our key on Chris Kaman. If Kaman moves, DeAndre Jordan will recieve his payday out west. If Kaman isn't traded, Jordan will be available....

It is obvious if Felton, Amare, and Carmelo start for Knicks next season that we need a center that can really rebound and defend.

Secondly, whoever ends up playing the 2 guard spot (assuming Melo at 3spot) would need to be a very good defender.

It is obvious that Toney Douglas has taken a step back. I guess the question becomes if we give up only one player of the 3: Gallo, Chandler, or Fields you want to give up Chandler.

iJoe

Rotation player
Problem is that RFAs like Jordan and Gasol are gonna be near impossible to sign without overpaying.

Kaman is owed 11.3 this year and 12.2 million for next. So he's gonna be a high priced rental and dealing for him is only gonna make it easier for the Clips to resign Jordan.

The only promising guys I see for cheap are Hawes and maybe Big Baby. I'm not a huge fan of either, but thats whats available for relatively cheap.

This is NOT a debate on which center would be ideal! Its on who's available for cheap! This is especially important if we sign Melo and don't have much cap room. They can even be bench guys.

I wish people would read posts before replying the first thing that comes to their heads. This is like the stock market. You don't just nab the most expensive big name. You look for penny stocks that have the most potential so that even if it doesn't pan out, you don't lose much.

richtree

Rotation player
Problem is that RFAs like Jordan and Gasol are gonna be near impossible to sign without overpaying.

Kaman is owed 11.3 this year and 12.2 million for next. So he's gonna be a high priced rental and dealing for him is only gonna make it easier for the Clips to resign Jordan.

The only promising guys I see for cheap are Hawes and maybe Big Baby. I'm not a huge fan of either, but thats whats available for relatively cheap.

This is NOT a debate on which center would be ideal! Its on who's available for cheap! This is especially important if we sign Melo and don't have much cap room. They can even be bench guys.

I wish people would read posts before replying the first thing that comes to their heads. This is like the stock market. You don't just nab the most expensive big name. You look for penny stocks that have the most potential so that even if it doesn't pan out, you don't lose much.

All of the talk is Walsh trading for Jordan and how much he likes him.

IF you had heard that, you would realize that the Knicks are gonna go after him before the deadline. If the Clippers commit to Kaman and don't move Kaman via trade they are likely to move Jordan via sign and trade etc...

I am sure Donnie Walsh is smarter than you are and it has been known he is targeting Jordan, so that's good enough for me....