Walsh prepares to offer Gallo, Fields, Curry & 1st rounder for Melo

Toons

is the Bo$$
Donnie Walsh says he can get two first-round picks for players on the current roster, which would help the Knicks' chances of landing Carmelo. A Knicks source claims that Walsh would be willing to move Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields plus Eddy Curry's expiring contract in a potential trade for Carmelo.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/kn...s-though-even-anthony-wonders-about-resolutio

As much as it hurts to see Fields leave, it has to be done in order to land melo, and i relly wont mind. I still will folllow his career. i wont miss gallo's 2-10 nights either, we have williams, rautins and mason to haldle that....and for chubbs....i hope he never sees a minute on an nba court ever again.

if denver accepts, we are lookin at

felton.....douglas
chandler.....walker....buike
melo.....williams
stat.....turiaf
mozgov....jordan

why i say jordan, is because we will have 11 players and we would need 12 to play a game.

petescud

Starter
You have to do it. Melo would take a lot of pressure off STAT. We then just need a big stopper. Any chance of getting a decent one on the cheap? Say trade Azzy and a second rounder for someone

iSaYughh

Starter
I think trading Gallo > Wilson is mistake. Chandler has the higher value now, too. And DEN has the cap to work out a longterm deal for him, no prob.

Plus, there goes us getting the much needed extra big this offseason (Dalembert, Perkins, Davis, Jordan).

Gallo + 1 of the above > Chandler.

Especially when we have Melo.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I obviously don't like the idea of trading Gallo.

But I can't fault Donnie's logic. Chandler is simply the better two way player right now.

Donnie already foreshadowed this development when he said he wanted to sign Chandler.

I didn't really heed that proclamation at the time but I guess he meant it.

Only time will tell..

moneyg

Starter
I think trading Gallo > Wilson is mistake. Chandler has the higher value now, too. And DEN has the cap to work out a longterm deal for him, no prob.

Plus, there goes us getting the much needed extra big this offseason (Dalembert, Perkins, Davis, Jordan).

Gallo + 1 of the above > Chandler.

Especially when we have Melo.

i disgree.. firat of all.. gallo has a salry of like 4 mil
AR 3 mil wil go also

melo will mak like 18 mil next season once he signs extension

we will have about 5 mil left under the cap if we dont resign chandler.. which we probably wont do.. we will probably do a sign n trade with another team for him to fill a need

if we need moremoney we can probaly do something with t doug.. or the russain (trade him to NJ)lol

we can still get a quality big... dalbert will not make more than 5-6 mil per

and also.. Gallo is not better than Chandler

iSaYughh

Starter
i disgree.. firat of all.. gallo has a salry of like 4 mil
AR 3 mil wil go also

melo will mak like 18 mil next season once he signs extension

we will have about 5 mil left under the cap if we dont resign chandler.. which we probably wont do.. we will probably do a sign n trade with another team for him to fill a need

if we need moremoney we can probaly do something with t doug.. or the russain (trade him to NJ)lol

we can still get a quality big... dalbert will not make more than 5-6 mil per

and also.. Gallo is not better than Chandler

I agree; a lot if the quality FA bigs we want will be 5-6M, and that we have options w Moz's 3M to get rid of it if we want. Turiaf, too, who may even be 5M. Of course, Turiaf and Moz *are* bigs themselves, but...

I guess we'll be in total win-now mode, and Chandler is the more proven commodity to be able to consistently produce right away.

I'll be in the minority and still think Gallo would be the better fit, especially if we had Melo. He impacts games in unique ways and is/can be *so* efficient offensively, which is even more useful when adding Melo. Especially in the clutch, and w a propensity to rise in big moments vs big teams, and the more proven range, i like him.

This is banking on the supposition that Gallo will gel and tighten up his game through the rest of the season and going forward; a supposition Walsh may not be willing to gamble on, like a layman fan like myself, when there is Chandler, already playing better than Gallo, as a more proven commodity.

Doesnt seem right, and i hope I'm utterly wrong if it happens. I won't be crying, though, either way, Chandler is great and is, and will continue to be, a good Knick.

I would 100% try to acquire Mayo, though. His range and overall skillet could really beast here. And he's at almost rock bottom value.

Felton
Mayo
Chandler
Melo
STAT

Douglas, Williams, Moz, Ewing Jr, whoever we get w our picks, and maybe we then let Turiaf go somehow, and try to pursue an FA big as replacement, ideally w/o arthritis so our weakness in depth there doesn't get so exploited so easily.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
A "Knicks Source"?

A "Knicks' source"? I take this report with more than a grain of salt. We just got out of "cap" hell. I do not think Donnie is anxious to get right back into it in the long term. For all Melo's undeniable talents, he, Amar'e, Felton, Chandler and what is left -- without draft picks -- will not get us much beyond mediocrity. We need a "team," not just two super stars.

moneyg

Starter
A "Knicks' source"? I take this report with more than a grain of salt. We just got out of "cap" hell. I do not think Donnie is anxious to get right back into it in the long term. For all Melo's undeniable talents, he, Amar'e, Felton, Chandler and what is left -- without draft picks -- will not get us much beyond mediocrity. We need a "team," not just two super stars.

i think the key will be does Denver want us to take back a contract... and if so... who.. harrington.. balkman..etc....

harringtons contract will kill us..

the funny thing is.. if we knew july 1 we would come away with amare, felton and melo and had to build a team like the heat did.. we would of been doing cartwheels.. now we be blessed with fools gold and even AMARE knows this wont hold up long term..

the problem is ... most of the good role players are signed by the heat and other teams for vet min,.. so this year.. were done.. unless we scout the d league or free agents everybody else passed on....

if im donnie.. imm rollin the dice and building around felton, melo, and stat.. and the hell with anybody else....we would be much better next year and can probably entice some free agents to take less for a chance at a chip...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Although i'm a huge Fields fan, I don't mind giving up those players in a trade. At somoe point we have to realistic and know that to get Melo we'll have to part with any combination of Chandler, Gallo and Fields.

moneyg

Starter
Although i'm a huge Fields fan, I don't mind giving up those players in a trade. At somoe point we have to realistic and know that to get Melo we'll have to part with any combination of Chandler, Gallo and Fields.

so true....most guys on this forum arent realistic

if we could get a qaulity big.. let say a dalembert or chandler for aroud six per and retain turiaf as a backup

we could start with

felton
melo
stat
chandler or dalembert

and still retain a williams and t doug

we would be in a better position than we are now

and could get some vets to fill gaps

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton as a building block.

I know he has been very good for most of the year, but I am not that enthused about Felton. Amar'e and D'Antoni's system inflate his worth. He takes too many shots and other than to Amar'e he does not distribute the ball. For most of the year, his shooting percentage has been well above his career figures and I tend to trust career numbers after several years to current numbers. He is good, but he is not the third Musketeer. He is not in Amar'e's and Melo's class. I like Chandler better than Felton, but Chandler and Melo are both principally small forwards. I love Melo in theory but I am afraid Melo and his cost -- unless as a free agent -- is not going to make us a better "team."

moneyg

Starter
I know he has been very good for most of the year, but I am not that enthused about Felton. Amar'e and D'Antoni's system inflate his worth. He takes too many shots and other than to Amar'e he does not distribute the ball. For most of the year, his shooting percentage has been well above his career figures and I tend to trust career numbers after several years to current numbers. He is good, but he is not the third Musketeer. He is not in Amar'e's and Melo's class. I like Chandler better than Felton, but Chandler and Melo are both principally small forwards. I love Melo in theory but I am afraid Melo and his cost -- unless as a free agent -- is not going to make us a better "team."

so we keep felton for one more year and get d will in 2012...its all about buliding for the future... we wont compete for a chip this year or even next

also felton... i splaying a lot of minutes in a system he is still adjusting to.. he needs backup help asap

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

I too am skeptical about Felton..

What happened to the idea of getting Paul eventually?

Will that not be possible due to our cap situation?

Somebody educate me pls.

la2ny

Starter
Chandler and Melo are both principally small forwards. I love Melo in theory but I am afraid Melo and his cost -- unless as a free agent -- is not going to make us a better "team."
melo would cost us Will and any big or backup pg if he comes as a free agent. also it would lock us into most likely a 5 year deal w/ him.

By trade your only locked in for 3 years and we still have a chance to keep Will or let him go an sign a big.

tiger0330

Legend
Really getting tired of all the BS rumors, we don't even have that 1st rounder yet and Melo has not told the Nets he won't sign. Wake me up when something happens.

skisloper

Starter
Nets drop Carmelo Anthony deal
EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has told the team to end discussions on the Carmelo Anthony deal.

Nets blog
Looking for more information on the Nets? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

In a news conference before Wednesday night's game against Utah, Prokhorov said he decided on Tuesday to stop pursuit of the Nuggets All-Star forward, unhappy with how things played out in public.

The new owner says the deal took too long and became too expensive.

Prokhorov also says he has called off a scheduled meeting with Anthony.

Previously, New Jersey had offered to ship six players and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver in a deal that would have sent Anthony to the Nets along with former Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.

The thing about trading Will is having Melo and Gallo in the starting lineup which would be a problem because they play the same position. Gallo can't play the 4 because of his inability to guard 4s, Gallo can't play a 2 as well because he can't guard 2s once again, Melo can't be a 2 because he's just not a 2 and is most effective as a 3.

The thing about trading Gallo is that Wilson will be expiring and we will have to sign him to a contract while with Gallo he still has another year on his rookie deal.

IMO we should keep Fields, and trade Will and Gallo. We would have a really solid rebounding team because Melo is one of the best rebounders at his position. Fields is the best rebounder. Felton is a solid rebounder for a guard. STAT .. well he's STAT. We would then just need a center.