D'Antoni benches Chandler for Turiaf, moving Amar'e to PF

nyk_nyk

All Star

By MARC BERMAN

Last Updated: 12:47 PM, January 21, 2011
SAN ANTONIO - Faced with a four-game losing streak, Mike D'Antoni is reverting back to his old starting lineup, benching Wilson Chandler, putting Ronny Turiaf back in as the starting center that allows Amar'e Stoudemire to move back to his starting-power-forward slot.
The moves comes two days after Stoudemire said he "hates'' being referred to as a center. Chandler also has looked worn down, on both ends, playing lazier defense than he has in the past. Chandler thrived as a Sixth Man in November and the club did well with that starting five for a section of their 13-1 spree. The Knicks face the Spurs tonight at the AT&T Center with San Antonio looking for revenge from its Garden loss earlier this month.
"We want to play a little bit bigger,'' Mike D'Antoni said. "It was a good lineup for us. It changes things up a bit. Things haven't been going stellarly andd the first-quarter defense hasn't been good. We'll see if this works.''
D'Antoni said he hopes to stick with this for a while. Stoudemire claimed he had no input on the decision. In Houston, Stoudemire said he is "a forward'' and it's the most he's played center in his career. Stoudemire is starting to wear down - perhaps because of being overmatched physically at center on the defensive end.
D'Antoni could have pulled Danilo Gallinari from the lineup for Turiaf but the coach apparently was afraid to shake the Italian Stallion's confidence.
"A lot of reasons, a lot of discussions,'' D'Antoni said. "I don't want to play it out in the papers.
Wilson has come off the bench. It hasn't effected him. You don't know if it will effect the other guys. Also Wilson comes in with a lot of firepower. And the biggest reason is it worked before and looked like everyone was OK with it.''
----------------------------------------

Dant won't admit it, but Amare is the one who made this happen.

Gallo is not built for this IMO.

p0nder

Starter
Gallo is coming back off an injury (again) and needs to hit a few shots early in the game. I also like that he's eben driving the basket more. Amar'e at the PF is best but if Turiaf could give us 30 minutes i'd be a lot happier.

We'll see how it goes!

moneyg

Starter

By MARC BERMAN

Wilson has come off the bench. It hasn't effected him. You don't know if it will effect the other guys. Also Wilson comes in with a lot of firepower. And the biggest reason is it worked before and looked like everyone was OK with it.''
----------------------------------------

Dant won't admit it, but Amare is the one who made this happen.

Gallo is not built for this IMO.

Exactly

The only other guy he could be talking about is his son...Gallo...

I told you that he would never bench gallo...and evrybodies knows chandler has been playing better...

Walsh probably had a lot of input saying.. "Yo, your wearing the players down"

O'antoni is probably thinking that is all good if STAT last another year and a half when our coaches contract expires...

play Tmoz too..even if its for 6-8 minutes...

I would rather Mozgov start and play Turiaf some with the second unit because he keeps things in order when he catches the ball at the top and tells guys where to be. Without him or a starter with the second unit it will be Chaos because Douglas has not shown to be a good faciliator

tiger0330

Legend
D'Antoni is just moving around the deck chairs, don't think this is going to make much of a difference. They need to add some depth, D'Antoni has 5 guys that don't play a lick Curry, Moz, AR, Mason and Az. Walsh needs to clear out some of the dead wood by the trade deadline and bring in some guys that can actually play.