Knicks @ Spurs 1/21/11 8:00

Do you think the Spurs will get old soon?

• Yes, their best players will get worse soon

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, they have a solid young base in Blair, etc.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpz17

Starter
New York Knicks (22-19)

18.gif

@

San Antonio Spurs (36-6)

24.gif

att08900.jpg

Date: January 21, 2011
8:00 PM ET
AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX
TV: ESPN, MSG

It's been a season of streaks for the San Antonio Spurs, who already own two double-digit stretches of consecutive victories.
The New York Knicks aren't so enamored with the streak they're building.
After losing by 13 at Madison Square Garden earlier this month, the NBA-best Spurs look to extend their latest winning streak to eight while handing the visiting Knicks a fifth straight loss Friday night.
There have been five winning streaks of at least 10 games in the league, and San Antonio (36-6) -- with a run of 12 from Nov. 1-24 and 10 from Dec. 3-22 -- owns two of them.
The Spurs are well on their way to a third, wiping out an 11-point halftime deficit in the third quarter en route to a 104-95 win over Toronto on Wednesday.
"In the second half we got back in the game because we played very, very good team defense," coach Gregg Popovich said. "Those stops generated offense, and that was the ballgame."
San Antonio's streak began two weeks ago against Indiana as it bounced back from its only consecutive losses of the season.
The first of those was the result of some dreadful defense Jan. 4 at MSG. The Knicks (22-19) shot 54.9 percent in a 128-115 victory, the most points San Antonio allowed in a regulation game since March 1993, and a performance that Popovich called "pathetic."
The Spurs, however, haven't been lax defensively at home against New York in recent years. They've held the Knicks to 85.7 points per game in winning the last seven meetings at the AT&T Center.
New York has allowed 114.3 points per game during its losing streak, and Amare Stoudemire sounded fed up after the latest defeat. Houston jumped out to a 36-27 lead after one quarter Wednesday and didn't look back, outscoring the Knicks in each quarter of a 104-89 win.
"We didn't bring the effort defensively, from the start," Stoudemire said. "They pretty much got what they wanted."
Since Dec. 15, New York's only win in 10 games when allowing 100 points came against San Antonio. It's 5-1 when holding the opponent under the century mark in that span.
One thing the Knicks will want to do Friday is defend the 3-point line. The Spurs are 24-1 when they make at least 37.5 percent of their long-range attempts, a percentage four of New York's last six opponents have exceeded.
Manu Ginobili has averaged 20.0 points during San Antonio's latest streak, but the Spurs' balance beyond Ginobili, Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson keeps showing up.
At least one San Antonio player outside of those top four scorers has scored 13 points or more in every game during the streak.
DeJuan Blair has done it in two of the last three contests. The second-year center had 18 points and 13 rebounds in a 101-89 win over Dallas last Friday, then had 22 points and 11 boards against Toronto.
The Spurs are 7-0 when Blair has a double-double.
"It can get scary because he can do so much," backup guard George Hill said of Blair, who had 17 points and eight rebounds in 17 minutes at MSG earlier this month. "He's quick for his size, he's starting to get a nice little touch around the basket."
New York will have to worry about containing Parker, but it'll also be anxious to get Raymond Felton back on track. Felton, who had 28 points in the win over the Spurs, has totaled 27 points and shot 23.8 percent in his last three games.
-ESPN.com

It?s been a season of streaks for the San Antonio Spurs, who already own two double-digit stretches of consecutive victories.
The New York Knicks aren?t so enamored with the streak they?re building.
After losing by 13 at Madison Square Garden earlier this month, the NBA-best Spurs look to extend their latest winning streak to eight while handing the visiting Knicks a fifth straight loss Friday night.
There have been five winning streaks of at least 10 games in the league, and San Antonio (36-6) - with a run of 12 from Nov. 1-24 and 10 from Dec. 3-22 - owns two of them.
The Spurs are well on their way to a third, wiping out an 11-point halftime deficit in the third quarter en route to a 104-95 win over Toronto on Wednesday.
?In the second half we got back in the game because we played very, very good team defense,? coach Gregg Popovich said. ?Those stops generated offense, and that was the ballgame.?
San Antonio?s streak began two weeks ago against Indiana as it bounced back from its only consecutive losses of the season.
The first of those was the result of some dreadful defense Jan. 4 at MSG. The Knicks (22-19) shot 54.9 percent in a 128-115 victory, the most points San Antonio allowed in a regulation game since March 1993, and a performance that Popovich called ?pathetic.?
The Spurs, however, haven?t been lax defensively at home against New York in recent years. They?ve held the Knicks to 85.7 points per game in winning the last seven meetings at the AT&T Center.
New York has allowed 114.3 points per game during its losing streak, and Amare Stoudemire(notes) sounded fed up after the latest defeat. Houston jumped out to a 36-27 lead after one quarter Wednesday and didn?t look back, outscoring the Knicks in each quarter of a 104-89 win.
?We didn?t bring the effort defensively, from the start,? Stoudemire said. ?They pretty much got what they wanted.?
Since Dec. 15, New York?s only win in 10 games when allowing 100 points came against San Antonio. It?s 5-1 when holding the opponent under the century mark in that span.
One thing the Knicks will want to do Friday is defend the 3-point line. The Spurs are 24-1 when they make at least 37.5 percent of their long-range attempts, a percentage four of New York?s last six opponents have exceeded.
Manu Ginobili(notes) has averaged 20.0 points during San Antonio?s latest streak, but the Spurs? balance beyond Ginobili, Tony Parker(notes), Tim Duncan(notes) and Richard Jefferson(notes) keeps showing up.
At least one San Antonio player outside of those top four scorers has scored 13 points or more in every game during the streak.
DeJuan Blair(notes) has done it in two of the last three contests. The second-year center had 18 points and 13 rebounds in a 101-89 win over Dallas last Friday, then had 22 points and 11 boards against Toronto.
The Spurs are 7-0 when Blair has a double-double.
?It can get scary because he can do so much,? backup guard George Hill(notes) said of Blair, who had 17 points and eight rebounds in 17 minutes at MSG earlier this month. ?He?s quick for his size, he?s starting to get a nice little touch around the basket.?
New York will have to worry about containing Parker, but it?ll also be anxious to get Raymond Felton(notes) back on track. Felton, who had 28 points in the win over the Spurs, has totaled 27 points and shot 23.8 percent in his last three games.

Gameday Matchup

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th> </th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">New York
</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">San Antonio
</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">W-L</td><td style="text-align: right;">22-19</td><td style="text-align: right;">36-6</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points</td><td style="text-align: right;">107.1</td><td style="text-align: right;">104.7</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points Allowed</td><td style="text-align: right;">106.6</td><td style="text-align: right;">96.8</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Home Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">10-9</td><td style="text-align: right;">23-2</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Road Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">12-10</td><td style="text-align: right;">13-4</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Current Streak</td><td style="text-align: right;">L4</td><td style="text-align: right;">W7</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Last 10</td><td style="text-align: right;">4-6</td><td style="text-align: right;">8-2</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last 5 Games

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: left;" width="30%">New York</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-align: left;" width="30%">San Antonio</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr valign="top"> <td style="text-align: left;">Jan 19 @HOU Loss 104-89
Jan 17 PHX Loss 129-121
Jan 14 SAC Loss 93-83
Jan 12 @UTAH Loss 131-125
Jan 11 @POR Win 100-86
</td> <td style="text-align: left;">Jan 19 TOR Win 104-95
Jan 16 DEN Win 110-97
Jan 14 DAL Win 101-89
Jan 12 @MIL Win 91-84
Jan 11 @MIN Win 107-96
</td> </tr> <tr class="last footer"><td colspan="2">Complete Schedule: New York | San Antonio</td></tr></tbody></table>

Depth Chart

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th width="5%"> </th><th style="line-height: 25px; border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: left;">New York (PPG)</th><th style="line-height: 25px; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-align: left;">San Antonio (PPG)</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="odd" valign="top" align="right"><td style="text-align: left;">PG </td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>R. Felton 17.6</nobr></td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>T. Parker 17.5</nobr></td></tr><tr class="even" valign="top" align="right"><td style="text-align: left;">SG </td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>L. Fields 10.1</nobr></td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>M. Ginobili 19.0</nobr></td></tr><tr class="odd" valign="top" align="right"><td style="text-align: left;">SF </td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>W. Chandler 17.4</nobr></td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>R. Jefferson 12.5</nobr></td></tr><tr class="even" valign="top" align="right"><td style="text-align: left;">PF </td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>A. Stoudemire 26.4</nobr></td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>T. Duncan 13.6</nobr></td></tr><tr class="odd" valign="top" align="right"><td style="text-align: left;">C </td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>R. Turiaf 4.5</nobr></td><td style="text-align: left;"><nobr>D. Blair 7.5</nobr></td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
Jamal mashburn from Nba t.v is predicting a blow out loss against The knicks already.
Well what else is new.:boohoo:

yo does anyone have a stream of this? I can't find anything. I remember someone mentioning that had a season pass? Anything will work im in the office.

CoolClyde

benchandler

i believe Wilson Chandler is not starting, as the Godfather allows his Godson to maintain the weakest link at SF.
Antoni's small-man, short-rotation losing streak at the halfway point leads me to make this prediction,
as much as I hate to say it:
Spurms 114, Knicks 89.

I hope I'm wrong.
pringle_wesuck.jpg

:boohoo:

Markutis

Benchwarmer
I knew this game would be a sure L, so i decided to watch the game 7 against Indiana in the 1995 playoffs. Man... I still don't believe Patrick Ewing missed that layup.

mafra

Legend
This is exactly why D'antoni is an idiot, and his man-crush on Gallo is killing this team. Chandler had his highest scoring game of the year (28 points) against SA. Spurs could not stop him from driving to the hoop all game. So, of course MD starts Gallo and has Chandler play off the bench. Gallo is his horrible spastic self and Chandler never gets into the flow.

Knicks now 1-6 in last 7 games, and have trailed entire game in each loss. After loss @OKC Knicks will be close to falling below .500. Only a matter of time really.

Kiyaman

Legend
i believe Wilson Chandler is not starting, as the Godfather allows his Godson to maintain the weakest link at SF.
Antoni's small-man, short-rotation losing streak at the halfway point leads me to make this prediction,
as much as I hate to say it:
Spurms 114, Knicks 89.

I hope I'm wrong.
pringle_wesuck.jpg

:boohoo:

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

It look like coach Pop is going to take all his starters out of the game again with 4 minutes remaining in the game.... this time for a winning effort.
Turiaf effort is holding the Knicks in this game.
It's time for AR athletic defensive effort to get parole from Dantoni's dungeon

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's such a shame that Ronny's arthritis forces him to rest so often. He's an excellent role player and is our one shining light at both ends tonight.

Get out of your slump, Ray. Please.

I'm sick of Douglas' shot selection. He's played well, but at least once in every game he throws up a wrongen. Use your head dude. We need you.

Pricey

Rotation player
This is exactly why D'antoni is an idiot, and his man-crush on Gallo is killing this team. Chandler had his highest scoring game of the year (28 points) against SA. Spurs could not stop him from driving to the hoop all game. So, of course MD starts Gallo and has Chandler play off the bench. Gallo is his horrible spastic self and Chandler never gets into the flow.

Knicks now 1-6 in last 7 games, and have trailed entire game in each loss. After loss @OKC Knicks will be close to falling below .500. Only a matter of time really.
Chandler comes on and gets his opportunity and he throws the ball away repeatedly.

petescud

Starter
I'm a fan of Amar'e, but why is it he gets the last shot every time. Don't you think the other teams know this. Dantoni needs to mix things up. He also needs to pay attention to the real coaches in the league (Pop, Jackson, Rivers, Van Gundy etc) to see how they handle things

Nothing against the Spurs. They are in the top 3 teams in the league IMO. But if we played this game smarter, i think it would be a super close game

Markutis

Benchwarmer
I'm a fan of Amar'e, but why is it he gets the last shot every time. Don't you think the other teams know this. Dantoni needs to mix things up. He also needs to pay attention to the real coaches in the league (Pop, Jackson, Rivers, Van Gundy etc) to see how they handle things

Nothing against the Spurs. They are in the top 3 teams in the league IMO. But if we played this game smarter, i think it would be a super close game

It IS a close game so far.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Gotta feel for Chandler being forced in to an out of position mismatch with Blair. He's getting rag dolled. Hardly his fault - 40lbs differential.

Kiyaman

Legend

Everytime Dantoni "DISS" Wilson Chandler, I notice the change in Chandler performance by shooting 3-ball bricks all game, never driving, cutting, or moving without the ball.

Damn! Amare have to stop letting all these old timers keep blocking his shot
:gony: