Barkley Hates on Knicks (as usual)

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
TNT's Charles Barkley took issue with those going ga-ga over the Knicks.
"I get mad when people try to say they're back," Barkley said last night at the Garden, before the Knicks knocked off the Heat, 93-88. "They're not back. They're a lot more interesting. They're going to make the playoffs. But so is Philadelphia."
Amar'e Stoudemire's signature phrase when he signed was, "The Knicks are back" and it's caught on in all marketing slogans.
Barkley, the outspoken Hall of Famer turned broadcaster, also ripped Mike D'Antoni's speedball offense as he relaxed in the green room before the game with two writers.

Barkley was asked if D'Antoni's offense can win a title. The Phoenix resident who's seen a ton of Suns games across the decade laughed.
PHOTOS: KNICKS BEAT MIAMI HEAT
"I can already read the headline: Barkley bashes D'Antoni," Barkley said.
"I don't think they can win with this system," he said. "I saw it in Phoenix. They had a lot more talent in Phoenix. A lot more. The three most critical areas of the game are defense, rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to end pretty.
"I watched them every night during the last few years [under D'Antoni], and that system exaggerated how great a player you are. Go back to all the guys playing in Phoenix -- Barbosa, Diaw, Shawn Marion, Quentin Richardson. All those guys had inflated numbers. David Lee. They left that system and maybe those guys are not great players. As soon as you leave the system they kind of dropped off the face of the earth. One thing I'll say about Mike, he's made a lot of guys money."
Barkley said Stoudemire should not be the midpoint's MVP.
"He's in the conversation but [Chicago's] Derrick Rose is the MVP," Barkley said. "You can't have the MVP from the sixth seed."
Barkley sees Carmelo Anthony with the Knicks sooner or later.
"If he doesn't get dealt here by the trade deadline, he'll come play here next year," Barkley said. "I thought he should've taken the [Nets] deal. I like some of Jersey's pieces, Brook Lopez I like. They're going to Brooklyn in a couple of years. I thought he should've taken that deal."
Barkley said the Knicks aren't close to being a conference title contender.
"They're a long way away," Barkley said. "The four best teams in the East are head and shoulders above everybody else."

This dude clearly hates the knicks.

iSaYughh

Starter
He's a moron, but he isn't hating too hard. I mean, he sound like, maybe more tempered, than many KO ppl? :cool:

He had a lot of praise for Gallo, and Fields, after the game.

His comments about SSOL are typically asinine -- typical for him, and for the KO'ers who share his thinking.

But it's his conclusions that are most wrong. He sees facts and parts of reality, but he fails in drawing the most logical conclusions.

He waxes on how talented PHO was, and yet they still couldn't win.

Then goes on, as if it's a negative to D'ant/SSOL, that their peformance there and perceived abilities were monumentally ballooned, and over-performed to a spectacular degree.

Which is 100% true. Ironically, the past wk I've been saying much the same -- PHO was not an inherent juggernaut or great complete team, especially after trading Joe Johnson. The players' ascent and progression, and the team's ability to contend and shake up the league is as much to do w the coach and system, as you will find in the NBA, for a team's success being tethered to coach/system, vs just the blunt force ability of players on the court (which still matters the most, regardless).

Anyways, Barkley is staking himself as a NYK contrarian. Which is ok, and he's not entirely moronic for his anti-WeAreBack swagger. We haven't shown any metal in the playoffs yet, we haven't gotten there yet. He's basically betting against us.

A bad, losing bet. But I guess that's the Barkley way? :afro:

jpz17

Starter
he is a funny guy.. but he doesn't really know what he is talking about.. he is almost always wrong

knicksin60

Starter
Barkley actually gave the Knicks credit when he, Kenny and E.J. were doing the highlights of the game.So I really can't get on Barkley for saying those things prior to the game.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
Barkley should be the last one to talk about defense. He was one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

I just think its funny anytime I hear this dude commentating on the Knicks he says something negative to take away from their shine.

The analogy that the sixers are in the playoffs is a bad one specially seeing how much further ahead in the standings we are than them.

Red

TYPE-A
Barkley bashes D'Antoni," Barkley said."I don't think they can win with this system," he said. "I saw it in Phoenix. They had a lot more talent in Phoenix. A lot more. The three most critical areas of the game are defense rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to end pretty.

Sometimes...

The truth hurts.

"The three most critical areas of the game are defense, rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system."

^^When I read that part I smiled because he confirmed what I've been saying all along. I just don't care for him bashing the team. But he knows the game of BBALL. I'm just glad that someone in the NBA with some clout was seeing the same things I see.

The ssol system is designed for a team filled with all-stars playing in the Olympics. Its gear towards playground balling....where every player touches the rock until the open one takes the shot. It's more conditioned for the Euro league. Unfortunately for the Knicks...the open shot is not often taken by an AllStar.

He's partially right. As presently constituted, compared to those phx teams, we are lacking talent. But those guys were developed players, ours are growing. Also, he has said if we get Melo, it changes things. Which it does. Drastically.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
He's partially right. As presently constituted, compared to those phx teams, we are lacking talent. But those guys were developed players, ours are growing. Also, he has said if we get Melo, it changes things. Which it does. Drastically.

charles-barkley-snl.jpg

Sage

Rotation player
There's actually a lot of logic in what he's saying. For once I don't think he's "ripping" the Knicks.

It just hurts to hear. But guys, we need to be patient. Going from where the team has been the past few seasons, they're not going to win a championship overnight.

KingofNy

Starter

He's also right about D'Antoni's system. It is flawed. To win in the playoffs you need to play defense and out-rebound your opponent. I think we've out-rebounded our opponent like twice this season. Normally we're getting out-rebounded by a double-digit margin.

Let me show you how important rebounding is...check this stat out:

In the best of seven conference finals last year, the winner of each game was the team with the most rebounds...all 7 of them. That's why D'Antoni was never able to take them to the big dance while in Phoenix. The system works well if you have a few all-stars, especially an all-star PG (Nash), but if not we should expect nothing more than what we're getting with the talent we have. The main reason we were able to beat Miami yesterday is because Bosh was out and they were lacking a low-post threat. That's who normally kills us by dominating the boards and paint, drawing double-teams and opening up Lebum and D'whistle.

Also, Carmelo Anthony alone isn't going to all of a sudden make D'Antoni's system work. I think he could have 5 all-stars on our team in his system and we still wouldn't win in the Finals. That's how flawed it is. At least our games will be much more entertaining than they have over the last 10 years and maybe we'll finally win a playoff series if we get Carmelo. One can only hope.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
I've been around long enough to know that Charles Barkley never like The knicks regardless.
Yeah he does makes some good points about this system..So to put it simply, I guess if we get better players and still get swept in the first round after a few years..Than the problem is D'antoni .

I mean some of us say be patient even though it's been 38 years of patience. Then some of us say well we need better players..But we still can't win because we play no defense..Then the problem is the coach.
Because even though people are happy with just making the playoffs..We do need to be more then that just a playoff team in 2 to 3 years.
Amar'e could get injured one of those years. So we can't be to patient.
For This year it's okay to be patient because we're just starting to rebuild. I doubt we'll make any noise in the playoffs.
I really wish we would though.
But we really need to improve vastly if we ever want to be taken seriously by the league and some of these annoying annoucers..lol But I hope we start getting better .:gony:

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
This dude clearly hates the knicks.
look he is right and wrong at the same time

the knicks are back cuz they can beat anyone and teams are scared of them, the problem is our inconsistency

If we got Melo then Barkley would shut his fat face

But I agreed with his analysis of Mike D's system, the flaws are huge....Mike D plays a system were players have to hit three point shots or the game is going to be very hard to win.

We beat the Heat with defense on Lebron. But we know that will never happen again.

We got lucky against a injured Miami team without Bosh who would have put the game away but the Knicks could have blown them out if they just hit half their shots.

Knicks need to keep the shooters....Williams, Walker, maybe even Gallo if he stops having games were he falls off the face of the earth and shoots terribly.

CHandler is still not a pure shooter and he bricks, Felton bricks more often than not....we don't have sharp shooters

We need a Kyle Korver, an ANthony Morrow, someone guranteed to light teams up from behind the arc if they are open....we really don't have that in anyone besides Gallo, Williams is top in 3 % but thats only been this year

Williams is better if he camps on the three line, Walker is streaky.

Unless we get a Center to help Amare and we can replace Douglas with a PG who can run a team on the court, I don't see us going far

With Melo we can win multiple rings.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The system has its issues but so does every system...the point is D'Antoni needs to get a defensive-minded assistant and a big man who can block shots and rebound...