Why can't we just wait for Melo in free agency?

Hayato

Benchwarmer
id rather lose chandler to get him now than to keep chandler and get him as a FA..we'll have plenty of depth without chandler...plus theres no guarantee we'll get him after the season

I heard Dolan.. our idiot owner is really pushing Donnie to get something done before the trade deadline. If the trade stands as it's been reported I guess I don't have a problem with it, but yeah ideally I'd like to wait til FA also. But also like Hayato said theres no guarantee we'd get him in the off season. Trading for him guards against any odd shit happening like Melo changing his mind, the Nuggets magically reaching the NBA finals and he decides to stay around, etc

tiger0330

Legend
I was reading the latest from Donnie and he acknowledges the Melo discussions but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere done yet. Sounded like it was like buying a new car, he's decided on the model but he had only visited the first dealer at this point. I think he phrased it like "He was getting a feeling of what teams wanted".

My gut felling is Melo will be traded by the trade deadline, the dark horse to me is the Nets, they wanted him, they have the assets, if they can only convince him that Brooklyn is not that far removed from NY and can get him to extend.

Sage

Rotation player
Wouldn't we not be able to keep Chandler anyway? He'll ask for more than what we'll be able to afford next season.

If all it's going to cost is Chandler, Randolph and Curry, it's not such a bad idea to get Melo now.

la2ny

Starter
Yeah no way you get Melo and keep Will. You'd have to renounce Wills' bird rights to have the cap space. Besides, Will, Curry, and Randolph for Melo is a damn good deal to me.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Yeah no way you get Melo and keep Will. You'd have to renounce Wills' bird rights to have the cap space. Besides, Will, Curry, and Randolph for Melo is a damn good deal to me.

Chris Mannix from SI.com says the deal is not close, and that the Nugs are trying to lure other teams.

But I would pull the trigger on that deal if the Nugs would take it. But the Nugs GM would probably fired if all he got in return for Carmelo Anthony was Corey Brewer and Wilson Chandler. The deal makes no sense for the Nuggets unless the Twolves are giving up their 2011 unprotected first draft pick which I doubt.

la2ny

Starter
Chris Mannix from SI.com says the deal is not close, and that the Nugs are trying to lure other teams.

But I would pull the trigger on that deal if the Nugs would take it. But the Nugs GM would probably fired if all he got in return for Carmelo Anthony was Corey Brewer and Wilson Chandler. The deal makes no sense for the Nuggets unless the Twolves are giving up their 2011 unprotected first draft pick which I doubt.
Yea, I figured they'd want to drag it out hoping NY sweetens it, but me personally I'd leave it at this barring a few nobodies to make salaries match.

Minny has Kahn as GM so who knows. I do know that Anthony Randolph over Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette, Jared Sullinger, Enes Kanter, Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, etc. is a good deal. He's better than them all and it's proven. He could be Minnesota's Lamar Odom(Rambis runs the triangle) so it does make sense. Throw in them getting Rubio next year, they may not need a 1st round draft pick in this weak class.

There is no need to keep Chandler. Apparently the plan is to get 3 superstars until 2012. STAT, Melo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams. That would be 3 max contracts. We need to save the money from a possible Chandler extension for Paul/Williams.

Toons

is the Bo$$

thats so funny. thats why i use my own discretion with these things. Why do you have to ''lure'' another team in for an nba superstar? He's carmelo anthony....no lure needed. Every team in the nba knows melo wants to go to the knicks. I read a quote from a denver official saying that "the new jersey deal was so strong, they feel they deserve more for their superstar''. the deadline will pass, and we will have our version of Gasol for kwame brown.

Toons

is the Bo$$
There is no need to keep Chandler. Apparently the plan is to get 3 superstars until 2012. STAT, Melo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams. That would be 3 max contracts. We need to save the money from a possible Chandler extension for Paul/Williams.

chandler has to go if we get melo. i agree with all the posts about how much money he will demand, to add to it, he and melo play the same position

KBlack25

Starter
Danger of waiting is if the CBA allows for a "Franchise Tag" similar to football (bet your lives Dan Gilbert and whatever Canadian owns the Raptors will be pushing for it), which would prevent certain guys from becoming free agents.

Danger of waiting is if the CBA allows for a "Franchise Tag" similar to football (bet your lives Dan Gilbert and whatever Canadian owns the Raptors will be pushing for it), which would prevent certain guys from becoming free agents.

That would pretty much destroy the NBA imo.

KBlack25

Starter
That would pretty much destroy the NBA imo.

Interesting to hear you say that. People in the 80s felt the complete opposite, that keeping a franchise player built team loyalty. This is why teams have Bird Rights (and why they are called "Bird Rights" after Larry Bird) to sign any long-time player over the cap, and teams with Bird Rights can offer more than any other team.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I created a whole thread to address this "dilemma":

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9405

Copy/pasted for your pleasure:

I was one of those people who thought the ideal scenario would be to wait till FA in order to sign Melo and keep our young core. The more I think about it, the more I believe that trading now will leave us with a deeper team!

Denver does not have any power since only Melo can decide to sign an extension. So if you believe all the reports that Melo will only extend with NY that means that Denver only has two options:

1.Wait till FA and lose Melo for nothing.
2.Trade Melo to NY for pennies on the dollar.

There is no way Denver allows Melo to walk without getting something in return. This means that all the Knicks have to do is propose a package that is better than what another team will offer to rent Melo for 1/2 a year. I firmly believe we can obtain Melo for a package of:

AR
Walker
Curry
Future 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd rounder or two

Some of you will undoubtedly ask or state:

"why not wait till FA and keep EVERYONE"?
"AR could be special on both sides of the court and we should just hold out to next year"
"Trading 1st rounders is a mistake and has burned us in the past"

My answers to these points are exactly why I am making this thread:

"why not wait till FA and keep EVERYONE"?

If we wait till FA we cannot keep EVERYONE! Melo will command a MAX contract therefore we won't be able to resign Chandler. If we trade for Melo and he extends we can use Chandlers Bird rights next year to go over the cap and resign him. This effectively increase our cap next year and enables us to retain a quality homegrown young player who is getting better and can play both ends of the court. Retaining the ability to use Chandlers Bird rights is the BIGGEST reason why trading for Melo now is better than signing him in FA.

"AR could be special on both sides of the court and we should just hold out to next year"

Chandler is better than AR therefore retaining him is more of a priority then hoping that AR ever reaches his potential. Simply put, we already have a young two way player and his name is Wilson Chandler! (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush) If we wait for FA to sign Melo than Chandler is gone...period!

"Trading 1st rounders is a mistake and has burned us in the past"

This is a hard one and I tend to agree since we have been burnt time and time again. That said, the reason we have been burnt is that we traded our picks and did not get better in the process. In essence we were trading lottery pics that have the potential to be quality players. This trade would not be the same as before because the Knicks are poised (barring a major injury) to be playoff bound for many years to come. Further we will be getting a legit superstar in Melo who in all likelihood will be better than any potential draft pick we might end up losing out on. Further Melo is young and in his prime so it's not like he won't be producing for many years.

Another major factor is that if we trade for Melo he will extend with us for the maximum 3 year deal. This avoids a longterm 5-6 year MAX deal affording the Kicks options in 3 short years to go after another max contract if the Melo/Stat experiment happens to be a failure. This is a huge factor and one I have not seen addressed by anyone!

So in conclusion I have changed my opinion and think the ideal scenario is to rape Denver in a trade rather than wait till free agency. With the addition of Melo this year added to an already hot NY team we will solidfy ourselves as elite and propel us from a likely playoff team to instant title contenders. There is no time like the present and anything can happen next year...the time to strike is now while the iron is hot and there aren't many teams hotter than the Knicks!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I was pretty spot on about what it will take to get Melo. It looks like the only difference will be Chandler instead of Walker. Denver is now realizing after the Nets debacle that whatever leverage they did have is now gone. Pennies on the dollar boys!

CoolClyde

Melo in

amazing how many Melo threads have been created since Trillion's December thread explaining all.
i think it's hilarious all you've gotta do is cut and paste your thread/remarks over and over and you've
still got the most valid Melo opinions on KO, 2 weeks+ till trade deadline.

totally :agreed:

sooner we get Melo the better. keeping Fields/Gallo = MAJOR PLUS.
:crossfingers:

Melo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chandler

Toons

is the Bo$$
amazing how many Melo threads have been created since Trillion's December thread explaining all.
i think it's hilarious all you've gotta do is cut and paste your thread/remarks over and over and you've
still got the most valid Melo opinions on KO, 2 weeks+ till trade deadline.

totally :agreed:

sooner we get Melo the better. keeping Fields/Gallo = MAJOR PLUS.
:crossfingers:

Melo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chandler

ooooh, lay off the dudes nuts man....

its close to trade deadline....and our name is relevant....for once.
this is a first for most guys here. when have the knicks been so relevant that were in the papers everyday? some of us (me included) love the attention for the knicks. Besides the lebron fiasco, the knicks have never been this relevant for over a decade.....