Broussard: Lakers Nuggets in prelim. talks for Bynum, Melo swap.

iSaYughh

Starter
I doubt the lakers would want to trade bynum,he's one of their best defensive players and why would they trade him if the lakers are playing bad because of their defense?

Because Melo is hugely superior to Bynum, irregardless if Bynum happens to be classified as a "defensive" player.

So, they trade Bynum. Their D goes down by a factor of X.

But their offense goes up by a factor of X + 1

The latter scenario helps their team the most. Even if their current weakness becomes more weak.

IMO.

nyk_nyk

All Star
What's funny is that Chris Broussard is continuing to report this without mentioning that this was something they lightly touched on way back in the summer. Denver or someone is using this to get more out of the knicks. Doesn't matter anyway because i'm sure Walsh, Dantoni or Dolan have people in the league who can tell them how serious this report is.

iJoe

Rotation player
I doubt the Lakers would trade Bynum for Melo when they'd have a very unhappy Artest who would most likely get benched for Melo.

I'm also positive that the Nuggets won't want to get near Artest and his contract. Considering the Lakers need a good Center to keep the wear and tear off Gasol. Nene might be possible, but then the trade gets a whole lot more complicated with the salaries and Lakers having to give up even more.

Nugs are getting more desperate the closer the trade deadline looms. Should make for fun reading.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
I doubt the lakers would want to trade bynum,he's one of their best defensive players and why would they trade him if the lakers are playing bad because of their defense?

In terms of defense the lakers would be fine. They still have two fantastic bigs and Ron Artest is such a brutal beast at the defensive end that he can guard 4 positions on the floor. I think Ron could guard a more mobile big that is like 6'10 or so. They have the pieces to move around and continue to dominate and other teams would be less likely to double team Kobe with a guy like Melo who can shoot the mid range J with extreme accuracy. Remember the Lakers aren't us and don't just jack up 3's at will.

Melo also gives a good low post offensive option at the three and he can play proper D as well. His rebounds are decent and to me the Lakers get another star and have 3 stars with an amazing 6th man. That to me spells dominance.

I do however think that Denver will use this as leverage for us to give them two of the three people we want to keep and that is fine. With two stars and NY as a huge draw and maybe we can make it to the second round solid role players will take notice and want to play for us.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
I doubt the Lakers would trade Bynum for Melo when they'd have a very unhappy Artest who would most likely get benched for Melo.

I'm also positive that the Nuggets won't want to get near Artest and his contract. Considering the Lakers need a good Center to keep the wear and tear off Gasol. Nene might be possible, but then the trade gets a whole lot more complicated with the salaries and Lakers having to give up even more.

Nugs are getting more desperate the closer the trade deadline looms. Should make for fun reading.

I don't think Ron Ron would be too upset at riding the pine behind Melo. Not to mention he would probably become the sixth man and get ample minutes on the floor.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i will be livid if we dont trade for him...we're barely at 500 and we're not sniffing anything further than the first round of the playoffs with this team...trade who u need to and get melo