If we get melo..we cant get a max in 2012 w/o giving up gallo..so give him up now..

New New York

Quiet Storm
with the New CBA coming out how do we know what a max salary will be?

If Chris Paul wants to get paid he better get traded now or re-sign with N.O. because FA's are about to get max deals starting at about 14.5 million with very few years guaranteed (I'd say 4 at the best).

so imagine if The Knicks sported this roster

Amare
Melo
Gallo
Feilds
Mozgov (surely by then he wouldve learned how to catch the ball)
Toney D

I think Paul would take a pay cut to run that team even if he didnt get max money!

moneyg

Starter
with the New CBA coming out how do we know what a max salary will be?

If Chris Paul wants to get paid he better get traded now or re-sign with N.O. because FA's are about to get max deals starting at about 14.5 million with very few years guaranteed (I'd say 4 at the best).

so imagine if The Knicks sported this roster

Amare
Melo
Gallo
Feilds
Mozgov (surely by then he wouldve learned how to catch the ball)
Toney D

I think Paul would take a pay cut to run that team even if he didnt get max money!

i dont believe CP3 can not sign an extension until next year.. after the CBA...

if the CBA cuts back max contracts.. the question is.. do they cut the salary cap.. or do they increase it.. i hope they increase it....

however.. all this is spectulation... the future...

MELO is the past, present and the future.. and there aint another player on our team or a combination of them (other than stat) that can give me us a definite..

MELO CAN

Amare has been callin out his teamates all year....

MELO OR BUST

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If everything stays the same, there will not be enough cap space to sign CP3, if we get Melo. Remember, Lebron and Bosh took $14.5 mil and Wade took $14 mil to play together. Amare is getting $20 mil and with Melo's extension, Melo will get $21 mil. Our guys are too greedy to allow a 3rd max contract. It is finacially impossible for us to sign CP3 and Melo. Unless CP3 is willing to take $8 mil (he would laugh at that) or the cap increases to $66-70 mil (all indicatons are it will shrink).

And if we can't expect Melo to wait out a season for free agency, how can we expect CP3 to wait out two seasons?

CP3 will be traded. And if we give away all our assets to get Melo, we will have nothing to trade to get CP3 and no cap space to sign him. Having Gallo + Fields + Randolph + draft picks + Turiaf's expiring contract to offer for CP3 THIS SUMMER, is our best route to get CP3. Then we can compete for a championship next year.

So actually, if you want CP3 here, it is better for us to sign Melo this summer, not trade for him.

KBlack25

Starter
If everything stays the same, there will not be enough cap space to sign CP3, if we get Melo. Remember, Lebron and Bosh took $14.5 mil and Wade took $14 mil to play together. Amare is getting $20 mil and with Melo's extension, Melo will get $21 mil. Our guys are too greedy to allow a 3rd max contract. It is finacially impossible for us to sign CP3 and Melo. Unless CP3 is willing to take $8 mil (he would laugh at that) or the cap increases to $66-70 mil (all indicatons are it will shrink).

And if we can't expect Melo to wait out a season for free agency, how can we expect CP3 to wait out two seasons?

CP3 will be traded. And if we give away all our assets to get Melo, we will have nothing to trade to get CP3 and no cap space to sign him. Having Gallo + Fields + Randolph + draft picks + Turiaf's expiring contract to offer for CP3 THIS SUMMER, is our best route to get CP3. Then we can compete for a championship next year.

So actually, if you want CP3 here, it is better for us to sign Melo this summer, not trade for him.

Where were you in the other thread when I wrote about how we needed to keep some assets to trade for CP3 and everyone said the plan is to sign CP3 in the offseason as it was some sort of possibility? :)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Bingo.

My argument against pulling the trigger on the Melo trade was that we should stockpile our assets for a potential trade for a Chris Paul/Deron Williams trade (although I doubt Utah is going to trade Deron Williams, they'd probably rather let him just walk out of spite).

If we sign Melo as a free agent then we can trade Felton + Gallinari + Randolph + Walker + first rounder for Chris Paul (is a Wilson Chandler Sign + Trade possible if he's an RFA? That'd be an interesting angle to pursue). The Hornets don't have an owner, they might very well get contracted, there's no better time to trade CP3 than when his contract is an expiring.

It'll be similar to what the Celtics did when they made their super-team, they started with Paul Pierce and then got two superstars in one off-season, except our superstars will be players who are in their primes and thus ready to dominate for the next 5-6 years.

We'd have to have decent drafts to build talent but keep this in mind - having CP3, Carmelo, and Amar'e would allow us to sign prime free agent role players to minimum and/or MLE-level deals. That means we could pick up guys like Samuel Dalembert or TJ Ford at minimum-level deals and create a team of 3 superstars + roleplayers.

Don't forget that a team doesn't really need to be that awesome from 1-5. All you really need is two superstars and good roleplayers around them to win a championship (ie Lakers). If we can pick up our own big 3 and then surround them with solid roleplayers like Landry Fields and Timofey Mozgov and Dalembert/Ford/Perkins/whatever, we'll be well on our way to a championship (I still think we have to find the right coach, but whatever)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Seriously, think about it like this.

We're at a point where we can pick up Carmelo Anthony as an FA where the only player we lose is Wilson Chandler (I'm pretty sure we can't afford the cap hold to retain his bird rights while having the cap space to sign Carmelo to a max deal).

If we lose Chandler and sign Carmelo as an FA, that leaves us with plenty of trading assets for CP3. Felton, Gallinari, Mozgov, TD, Walker, Fields, Rautins, Randolph, all of these guys are expendable for CP3.

Trade 4 of those players for CP3 in the off-season and sign Carmelo and we're the next Boston Celtics and well on our way. Could you imagine the damage a player like CP3 could do in this offense (or any offense, for that matter)?

Have we truly thought about the reality of a CP3-Amar'e Pick and Roll duo being quite possibly the best of all time? Or Amar'e kicking it out the CP3 on the wing or Melo from mid-range? Let's be honest if we got CP3 and Melo to go with Amar'e we'd have the best Knicks team ever since the 70's.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Seriously, think about it like this.

We're at a point where we can pick up Carmelo Anthony as an FA where the only player we lose is Wilson Chandler (I'm pretty sure we can't afford the cap hold to retain his bird rights while having the cap space to sign Carmelo to a max deal).

If we lose Chandler and sign Carmelo as an FA, that leaves us with plenty of trading assets for CP3. Felton, Gallinari, Mozgov, TD, Walker, Fields, Rautins, Randolph, all of these guys are expendable for CP3.

Trade 4 of those players for CP3 in the off-season and sign Carmelo and we're the next Boston Celtics and well on our way. Could you imagine the damage a player like CP3 could do in this offense (or any offense, for that matter)?

Have we truly thought about the reality of a CP3-Amar'e Pick and Roll duo being quite possibly the best of all time? Or Amar'e kicking it out the CP3 on the wing or Melo from mid-range? Let's be honest if we got CP3 and Melo to go with Amar'e we'd have the best Knicks team ever since the 70's.

Unfortunatley, this will not happen either. Melo wants his money. When was the last time a star athlete didn't get everything they wanted?

We will trade many of our assets for Melo because Melo is demanding his money. And we will forever be a 3rd/4th seed 2nd round exit in the playoffs because of it.

Well, at least Melo will be happy with his $65 mil, instead of $50 mil, even though he's already made over $100 mil in his career so far. Good for him. I'm glad we are able to make Melo happy at the sacrifice of ever winning a championship. As long as Melo is happy, the Knicks shouldn't matter. :thumbsup:

la2ny

Starter
Either way this is a very hypothetical situation which probably will have 0% chance of happening after the new cba.

knicks47

Rookie
I just did a trade through the trade machine on espn and it makes a lot of sense, its a 3 way between clipps, knicks, nuggets

Knicks get: Melo, Deandre Jordan( RFA after season)

Nuggets get: Chandler, Curry, Gallo and Mason jr

Clipps get: Anthony Randolph

What do u guys think

la2ny

Starter
I just did a trade through the trade machine on espn and it makes a lot of sense, its a 3 way between clipps, knicks, nuggets

Knicks get: Melo, Deandre Jordan( RFA after season)

Nuggets get: Chandler, Curry, Gallo and Mason jr

Clipps get: Anthony Randolph

What do u guys think
Dont really understand why LA would do that deal

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
The problem with this line of thinking is that it assumes we will need (or have a strong interest in) CP3 when he becomes available in two years. But what if Raymond Felton develops into a consistent all-star caliber point guard once we (hopefully) land Melo and a decent backup who can give him some timely blows during the course of a 48 minute game??? IMO, point guard may not even be a need at all by the time CP3 becomes available (and btw, I happen to think all Felton needs is a decent backup and some more time to mature to be a heck of a starting point guard for a long time).

To me, the bigger reason for trading Gallo now is that his natural position is also Melo's natural position, and if we ever landed Melo without giving up Gallo, Gallo would be relegated to 6th man duties, and even then, I'm not sure where he would fit in on the court with Melo. I mean, Melo is playing 40 minutes a night, regardless of who we give up to get him, so, what position would Gallo play with Melo on the court??? The only other reasonable position for Gallo is at the 4, and guess what, that's where our other all-star forward really belongs. We are front loaded with forwards (3's and 4's) and we are all talking about bringing in the second best small forward in the league (behind Lebron) to play with the best power forward in the league. Thus, Wilson Chandler and Gallo should BOTH be given up on before EITHER Fields or Felton.

la2ny

Starter
@ Knicks47

Not totally true considering the Clipps will want 2 keep DeAndre with Blake. So I believe they'd match any offer he's bound to recieve.

knicks47

Rookie
Dont get me wrong, I want melo just as much as everyone here does but if we get melo and get no center this year its still not going to matter, we wont compete with the top 4 in the east. Watching knick games makes me sick sometimes, basically we have one chance to score on O, while on d the other team gets 2 or 3 with offensive rebounds, and defensively we get owned in the paint. If we got a defensive minded center who can board, we would be competing with the celtics, heat and bulls( not better or on the same level but a threat)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Again if we pick up Carmelo we'll be able to convince a solid defending + rebounding center like Samuel Dalembert to sign here for cheap kinda like how the Lakers got Ron Artest for a MLE level contract

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean you have to think about the team as it is right now too.

If you OK'd the potential trade for Carmelo and Billups and Billups wanted a buyout you'd be stuck with the following roster:

PG - Toney Douglas
SG - Bill Walker
SF - Carmelo Anthony
PF - Amar'e Stoudemire
C - Timofey Mozgov

Bench:

Wilson Chandler (or starting SG actually)
Ronny Turiaf
Andy Rautins
Roger Mason Jr.
Shawne Williams

That's not really going to win us any games. It may very well be the worst backcourt in the NBA.