The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

skisloper

Starter
i think we might have to do it and pick up baron...but i think we need to tell denver thatif they come back again some more changes.... were walkin..

Amare 18.2 mil
melo 18.5 mil
TD 2 mil (team opt)
only commitments for 2012 = 36.7 mil (about 22 mil in cap space)

im assuming we wont be doing any shoppin this summer because guys like deandre/gasol will want multi year contracts and we wont be able to get one of the PGs or dwight in 2012..

if we can get a guy like dalembert on the cheap or over pay on a one year contract i'd do it....

Maybe Walker/2nd rounder gets us a back up point guard...if Melo/Billups deal goes thru we need a back-up point guard now more then ever

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Just read on realgm.com that Melo will consider the Nets.

If that's true, I hope he gets face herpes. We've offered a lot to get him what he wants, time for him to start working for our benefit.

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Really feeling for Ray, Gallo and Wil ATM.

Crazy⑧s;158861 said:

If that's true, I hope he gets face herpes. We've offered a lot to get him what he wants, time for him to start working for our benefit.

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

If Carmelo never wants to win a championship then he can go to the nets.There basically giving up there whole team and all of their draft picks,the only thing they'll have left is Brook Lopez and his 5 Rebounds per game.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
According to Alan Hahn Carmelo was 'noncommittal' after the meeting with the Nets.

Plus you also have to think that after LeBron became the most hated figure in the NBA overnight not only by Cavs fans but also by fans of the teams that he spurned (ie us) that Carmelo doesn't want to follow in that example and become a villain by saying that he has absolutely no intention of going to the Nets.

But going to the Nets became a possibility about 6 months ago and he's had a long time to think about going there. I don't think he'd change his mind now.

He wants MSG and Amar'e at his side.

moneyg

Starter
Crazy⑧s;158861 said:

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

i want us to get melo but when i look at the situation...

he had a chance to sign similar deals like lebron, bos, wade in the summer..

when those players reached out to melo before they reup on their last contract..he went with the longer deal.. for more guaranteed money...when people told him not to... he knew at the time that the CBA expired on an opt out year....

im sure he wishes that he listened..

on the flip side

if he was available this summer we would not of been able to get him..STAT and all the players we got now....

we had enought for two max deals....in the summer im sure if we came away with both melo and stat.....we would of accepted that

at least we get a very usable PG in billups back...

the only player i dont want to lose is FIELDS

Remember.. we dont have draft picks.. thats why we got to give up more players.. if we had a few first rounders like the Nets.. we wouldnt be getting hit like that

tiger0330

Legend
Crazy⑧s;158861 said:

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Greed

Melo has a decision to make, he could put an end to all of this and sign with the Nets, he gets his money and Denver gets the deal they want or he stalls and Knicks fans have to wait until Feb 24 to find out something. Only thing I found out from this is Melo is not risking going into FA with a new CBA.

i want us to get melo but when i look at the situation...

he had a chance to sign similar deals like lebron, bos, wade in the summer..

when those players reached out to melo before they reup on their last contract..he went with the longer deal.. for more guaranteed money...when people told him not to... he knew at the time that the CBA expired on an opt out year....

im sure he wishes that he listened..

on the flip side

if he was available this summer we would not of been able to get him..STAT and all the players we got now....

we had enought for two max deals....in the summer im sure if we came away with both melo and stat.....we would of accepted that

at least we get a very usable PG in billups back...

the only player i dont want to lose is FIELDS

Remember.. we dont have draft picks.. thats why we got to give up more players.. if we had a few first rounders like the Nets.. we wouldnt be getting hit like that
I agree we can't trade Fields.I think denver will accept our current offer eventually.But i picture the deal would probably happen on the 24th.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I get what Walsh is thinking. Sure, we can get Carmelo and be good. Or we can wait, sign Carmelo as a free agent, and then use our trade assets to go get Deron or Paul (both of whom have expressed their desire to come to NY).

The route Walsh wants to take makes the Knicks a lock to be title-worthy for the 2012-2015 years... And would be the only team who could prevent MIA from dominating.

I understand what KNICK fans are thinking as well. I mean, we've waited this long... Why can't Anthony just play this out. Doesn't he want to win? Pushing for this to happen now means he wants his money more than a title. And he sure will be held responsible if the Knicks fail to win.

So. I don't think this has much to do with keeping Gallo or Fields. I think Walsh wants to keep one of these players, along with Mozgov. THEN, if we draft correctly... We have a first and 2 second rounders? THEN, we should have 3 trade assets... With Deron and Paul in the driver's seat next year... We will be in a position to swing another deal next Feb.

Make no mistake, that is the idea: Amar'e, Carmelo and Deron/Paul.

I wont flip out if we end of overpaying for Carmelo. As long as we keep Fields or Gallo, I can live with it. HOWEVER, I will hold Anthony responsible after that. Weight will be on his shoulders to deliver! I better not hear him gripe about how we don't have enough to compete for a title (this year and next). He better elevate his game. Like what Amar'e did.

The fact is the KNicks have to get another star, and if T-Mozgov stands in the way... just do it.

We probably wouldn't be keeping Chandler anyway. So, in essence, this deal will only cost us Fields of Gallo. Then we swap Billups for Felton. I can live with that.

skisloper

Starter
I get what Walsh is thinking. Sure, we can get Carmelo and be good. Or we can wait, sign Carmelo as a free agent, and then use our trade assets to go get Deron or Paul (both of whom have expressed their desire to come to NY).

The route Walsh wants to take makes the Knicks a lock to be title-worthy for the 2012-2015 years... And would be the only team who could prevent MIA from dominating.

I understand what KNICK fans are thinking as well. I mean, we've waited this long... Why can't Anthony just play this out. Doesn't he want to win? Pushing for this to happen now means he wants his money more than a title. And he sure will be held responsible if the Knicks fail to win.

So. I don't think this has much to do with keeping Gallo or Fields. I think Walsh wants to keep one of these players, along with Mozgov. THEN, if we draft correctly... We have a first and 2 second rounders? THEN, we should have 3 trade assets... With Deron and Paul in the driver's seat next year... We will be in a position to swing another deal next Feb.

Make no mistake, that is the idea: Amar'e, Carmelo and Deron/Paul.

I wont flip out if we end of overpaying for Carmelo. As long as we keep Fields or Gallo, I can live with it. HOWEVER, I will hold Anthony responsible after that. Weight will be on his shoulders to deliver! I better not hear him gripe about how we don't have enough to compete for a title (this year and next). He better elevate his game. Like what Amar'e did.

The fact is the KNicks have to get another star, and if T-Mozgov stands in the way... just do it.

We probably wouldn't be keeping Chandler anyway. So, in essence, this deal will only cost us Fields of Gallo. Then we swap Billups for Felton. I can live with that.

You cannot let Anthony go to free agency. You will have the Bulls lurking and possibly the Lakers and Dallas if they do not win a title.

We are assured to Keep either Gallo or Fields at this point. I would take either one. Just not sure if we keep Gallo does he start at the 2 guard.

moneyg

Starter
You cannot let Anthony go to free agency. You will have the Bulls lurking and possibly the Lakers and Dallas if they do not win a title.

We are assured to Keep either Gallo or Fields at this point. I would take either one. Just not sure if we keep Gallo does he start at the 2 guard.

thats why id rather keep fields.. if not our coach will throw out a small lineup with amare at center and gallo and melo at the 3 and 4.. doesnt fit

id like to get rip from detroit if hes bought out to come off the bench at the 2..and he has chemisty with billups

thats why id rather keep fields.. if not our coach will throw out a small lineup with amare at center and gallo and melo at the 3 and 4.. doesnt fit

id like to get rip from detroit if hes bought out to come off the bench at the 2..and he has chemisty with billups
I agree we HAVE to keep fields,Is it possible that we can take Gallo out of the trade and replace him with Moz then we sign Barron?

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
The lingering feeling that everyone we have been hearing up to now with the Melo Rumors/Saga has been bs...

I was listening to WFAN radio and the talk host made such a great point. He said that throughout this entire process/nonsense that one thing has made no sense. If Melo really wants to be a NY Knick, why is jeopardizing the Knicks Roster. Reports say he was in a meeting with the Nets and was non-commital about signing the extension. Why didn't he come out and tell the nj owner I'm sorry but I don't want to sign the extension with you guys that I want to go to the Knicks. If he said that then the nets would pull out and the Knicks wouldn't be giving up the farm. In terms of helping the Knicks with leverage he hasn't done so... So it leads me to believe one of two things.. Either everything we have been hearing is a bunch of bs and all these rumors are fabracated, or maybe Melo is truly considering signing the extension with the Nets if the Knicks can't pull the trade off. Melo wants his cake and eat it too, but he rather have the money over anything. It's a really confusing mess.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Nuggets Also want Mozgov if so the Deal will be done today just like Melo wants :crossfingers:

New Deal will be felton,Fields,Chandler,Mozgov, 1st Rounder(via Wovles) Curry

Melo Billups Carter Balkman Ely maybe Forbes

i say include him, sure he's shown some promise but he's replaceable still needs a lot of work to become a solid starter and if were going to pursue a Gasol-Jordan type C in the offseason then whats the point? i dunno how the caps will be and we may not have the capspace to get a Gasol-Jordan C but the point here is there have been plenty of Mozgovs that come around in the past and many more in the future.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Sorry didn't see this thread...

So many things can happen between now and when Gallo, Fields, Douglas etc are ready.

I'm not suggesting we sell "the farm" just to get a crack at Melo, I'm asking a simple question.

Does Melo alone make NY a contender?

Let's look at what he gives us to start with. One of the best 3 players in his position (the others of course being LBJ and KD). LeBron is no doubt the better all round player and so tops the list and KD has the POTENTIAL to move into second (first if you add the intangibles). Melo is as sweet a scorer as there is in the game today but he's not going to make us contenders straight away, I have to agree with Chuck on that one.

Billups
?
Melo
Amar'e
?

That's the bottom line. We are looking to keep either Gallo or Fields but we won't keep both if we want this trade to happen. Now Fields slots in NOW, can do a job NOW, is better than what we have NOW and has potential to improve in the future. I don't care if people would rather have "the next dirk" for trades, if you take Melo then you negate Gallo for a year or play him out of position to the detriment of the team.

So the answer for me seems to be in the present, not the future.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
?

Now this looks more like a contender but obviously that one huge piece that you must have is still missing. Can Mozgov be it? I don't know, what I do know is, you don't trade away the possibility of an excellent C when you don't have one coming back the other way.

The key to the deal for me is whether the Knicks can keep Fields and still get a C in who can do the job NOW on a 1-2 year contract.

Why all of a sudden people want to look at just what Melo would add to the team now rather than what he would add to a team when we get the most important piece we are lacking first, well that's beyond me.

We've still got bench players even if we give up what Denver are asking minus Fields.

If that deal can be done and we can trade for a solid rebounding C then we do become a legit threat in the east. Top 4? Well who knows but it's a damn site more likely that without a rebounding C.

So how does it happen? Well I haven't got that far yet, but then that isn't my job. I just hope that behind the scenes they are thinking the same way.

If you're still in doubt whether we should give up what Denver want ask yourself this.

Do you ever see these players winning a title?

Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Amar'e
Mozgov

Nah, me neither. You're either moving forward or you're going backwards.

Now do you see this team winning a title?

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Solid C

More likely right?

What about this one (1 year ahead)

D-Will/CP3
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Solid C let's say Marc Gasol

Suddenly no one really cares where the other pieces went do they?

Speculate to accumulate, don't accumulate to speculate!