Your Playoff Prediction: How far can we go w our 2 stars?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
are you crazy?we desperately needed a back up pg,we should release roger mason.

Yeah, but Anthony Carter is terrible. It's not like he was backing up Billups when they were on Denver. Thas why they drafted Lawson. TD is definitely better than Carter. Hell I'd rather see Rautins them him.

iSaYughh

Starter
Yeah, but Anthony Carter is terrible. It's not like he was backing up Billups when they were on Denver. Thas why they drafted Lawson. TD is definitely better than Carter. Hell I'd rather see Rautins them him.

Ya, Carter is a 3rd stringer. God willing we powermove the draft and secure Kemba (or ideally Jimmers). Move Douglas back to being more of a backup to Fields.

Billups-Jimmers
Fields-Douglas
Melo-Williams
STAT-Turiaf
Jordan-Jordan

Would be the dream, I guess. Idk how we actually get Jordan 1, but possible...

I also dunno how we ever get the 3rd star to fulfill the three star blueprint we just sealed our destiny too.

TO TR1LL10N Melo has made the playoffs every year in the league including 2 WC finals without a second superstar. (no, an over the hill AI does not count)

From ESPN: Anthony led the Nuggets to the playoffs in each of his first seven seasons in Denver after winning a national title at Syracuse as a freshman and had them positioned for another playoff run this year. But Denver advanced out of the first round just once during that time.

The Nuggets have NOT gone to the WC finals twice. WRONG.

Melo is 26 and scores 25 and boards 8 per game ion his sleep. To even compare him to MJ or Kareem and draw a definitive conclusion is a joke. That said, no one is stating he is of that caliber but he is just a slight notch below and has the potential to attain that status if he can win some chips in NYC.

The point is that giving up 4 starters and all those draft picks is only worthy of a Kareem or a Jordan. If Walsh were actually running the show they wouldn't have to give up that much. Mike Lupica also agreed.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...have_to_pay_steepest_price_in_the_histor.html

Correct...STILL need as in we were already getting dominated on the boards and in the paint therefore this is a constant and irrelevant to this trade. If anything Melo is a big upgrade with regards to rebounding over Gallo.

Meh. D'ant runs a tight rotation and if anything Shaun Williams and Walker can step up and get more minutes now. Further, I doubt we are done and at least we will sign a back up center. BTW, Sheldon Williams and Corey Brewer can easily crack the rotation and provide some adequate depth.

Isiah is in the asylum now and running the show. This is not good at all.I hope we are not done we need a lot more help.

Loosing a bunch of role players to get a 26 year old mega star is great for our future. We can fill needs over the next few years to round out our roster and that is always easier than securing a talent like Melo. A core of Amare and Melo is very attractive to vets looking to get a chip and you will see them flock to NYC for a chance at glory. (I predict Artest will end his career as our stopper off the bench on a very cheap contract in a few short years) Add in the fact that every contract other than Melo and Amare is a short term deal and we have flexibility moving forward.

Simply put, you are wrong!

NO I am not wrong. Just my opinion. I have been a KNicks fan since 1967 which was probably before you even born. Lupica agrees with my opinion so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
Great post. I go back as far as you and agree this is the end for the Knicks. Walsh had this team poised to make the jump and knows what it takes to build a championship team. He is now gone. Isiah and Dolan are back which is THE END. Melo and STAT will produce some wins but a title, NEVER. Sad sad sad day. Good bye my beloved Knicks. I'll see you in a decade when Dolan sells the team.

TO TR1LL10N Melo has made the playoffs every year in the league including 2 WC finals without a second superstar. (no, an over the hill AI does not count)

From ESPN: Anthony led the Nuggets to the playoffs in each of his first seven seasons in Denver after winning a national title at Syracuse as a freshman and had them positioned for another playoff run this year. But Denver advanced out of the first round just once during that time.

The Nuggets have NOT gone to the WC finals twice. WRONG.

Melo is 26 and scores 25 and boards 8 per game ion his sleep. To even compare him to MJ or Kareem and draw a definitive conclusion is a joke. That said, no one is stating he is of that caliber but he is just a slight notch below and has the potential to attain that status if he can win some chips in NYC.

The point is that giving up 4 starters and all those draft picks is only worthy of a Kareem or a Jordan. If Walsh were actually running the show they wouldn't have to give up that much. Mike Lupica also agreed.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...have_to_pay_steepest_price_in_the_histor.html

Correct...STILL need as in we were already getting dominated on the boards and in the paint therefore this is a constant and irrelevant to this trade. If anything Melo is a big upgrade with regards to rebounding over Gallo.

Meh. D'ant runs a tight rotation and if anything Shaun Williams and Walker can step up and get more minutes now. Further, I doubt we are done and at least we will sign a back up center. BTW, Sheldon Williams and Corey Brewer can easily crack the rotation and provide some adequate depth.

Isiah is in the asylum now and running the show. This is not good at all.I hope we are not done we need a lot more help.

Loosing a bunch of role players to get a 26 year old mega star is great for our future. We can fill needs over the next few years to round out our roster and that is always easier than securing a talent like Melo. A core of Amare and Melo is very attractive to vets looking to get a chip and you will see them flock to NYC for a chance at glory. (I predict Artest will end his career as our stopper off the bench on a very cheap contract in a few short years) Add in the fact that every contract other than Melo and Amare is a short term deal and we have flexibility moving forward.

Simply put, you are wrong!

NO I am not wrong. Just my opinion. I have been a KNicks fan since 1967 which was probably before you even born. Lupica agrees with my opinion so I will leave it at that.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Just ignore him guys,he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Actually, he's not that far off! James carried many a horrible Cleveland squad into the playoffs on his back and to the finals... Melo has not. Amare, Billups and Melo does not trump James, Wade and Bosh nor do they trump Pierce, Garnett, Rondo and Allen.
We will need size up front to support Amare! Amare does not play D and neither does MELO!!!! So, that being said we have a foundation to build on but we still need more pieces if we are going to beat Boston and stay competitive with Miami and the west over the next 5 years! We should be a competitive team; thank GOD we kept fields, and we should be fun to watch but we still have a few more moves to make to solidify this team as a bonafide contender for the championship.
We need to sign DWIGHT HOWARD or DERON WILLIAMS; preferably Dwight. But if he ends up in LA; then Deron!

Great post. I go back as far as you and agree this is the end for the Knicks. Walsh had this team poised to make the jump and knows what it takes to build a championship team. He is now gone. Isiah and Dolan are back which is THE END. Melo and STAT will produce some wins but a title, NEVER. Sad sad sad day. Good bye my beloved Knicks. I'll see you in a decade when Dolan sells the team.

Were you around when the Knicks won their titles?
Dolan is a complete idiot!
I wish he would sell the team now.
I wanted the Knicks to get Melo but not at that cost.

Walsh would have gotten him for a lot less.

Walsh will be kicked to the curb or he will leave on his own with dignity and maybe go back to Indiana.

Isiah is now running the Knicks again and this is not good at all.

Leeches only suck blood out of their victims but don't contribute at all.

jpz17

Starter
I'm going to honestly say we will win about 46 games. right now we are on pace for about what... 42 wins? I say 46 wins and that should slide us into like the 5th seed. last year 46 wins is the 6 seed, but Cleveland is worse and Milwaukee is worse too.

now this would put us up against the Bulls or Hawks. Melo would be guarding Deng or who, Josh Smith? I think Melo would shine in the Bulls series and Amare would shine against the Hawks.

We are looking at two similar teams to us in the Bulls and Hawks..

Rose, Boozer, Deng
Melo, Amare, Billups

Johnson, Smith
Melo, Amare

BUT in the playoffs the bench is very important and we don't play our bench because it is horrible. and it just got worse..

Actually, he's not that far off! James carried many a horrible Cleveland squad into the playoffs on his back and to the finals... Melo has not. Amare, Billups and Melo does not trump James, Wade and Bosh nor do they trump Pierce, Garnett, Rondo and Allen.
We will need size up front to support Amare! Amare does not play D and neither does MELO!!!! So, that being said we have a foundation to build on but we still need more pieces if we are going to beat Boston and stay competitive with Miami and the west over the next 5 years! We should be a competitive team; thank GOD we kept fields, and we should be fun to watch but we still have a few more moves to make to solidify this team as a bonafide contender for the championship.
We need to sign DWIGHT HOWARD or DERON WILLIAMS; preferably Dwight. But if he ends up in LA; then Deron!

The Celtics and Lakers are way deeper than the Knicks. The Knicks need a lot of help especially down low. Howard has said that he wants to go to the Lakers. I like Deron more than Chris Paul.

I also hope that we can find a better coach than D'Antoni.
I believe that no team that led the league in scoring with poor defense has won the title.

DeAndre Jordan would be a good addition.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i say second round. this year and next year i expect nothing short of a top 4 seed in the east and a trip to the ECF

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Do you know how to use the quote functions? Obviously not...

he Nuggets have NOT gone to the WC finals twice. WRONG.

Wow, so I was wrong, I thought he made it twice, not once big deal.

The point is that giving up 4 starters and all those draft picks is only worthy of a Kareem or a Jordan. If Walsh were actually running the show they wouldn't have to give up that much.

What a blatantly made up assertion. We gave up 4 starters on a .500 team and got 2 starters in return. One of those starters (chandler) was gone at the end of the year. Just stop. Further, claiming Walsh would have gotten a better deal is you once again talking out of your ass. I already proved that Melo would have signed the extension with the Nets or stayed in Denver if the Knicks offer fell through. Therefore we needed to beat the Nets offer or Denver would have sent him to NJ.

Again:

Anthony had told Dolan he wanted that $65 million contract extension, and had no plans on waiting for free agency and the massive pay cut the new collective bargaining agreement would bring. That's why Denver kept pushing for more and more in this deal, and why the Knicks had to keep giving more and more.

As much as the Brooklyn-born forward burned to play for the hometown team, he wasn't about to risk his $65 million payday to do it. Anthony wanted his money, even if he had to take it from the Nuggets or the New Jersey Nets.

"The Knicks knew if they didn't get Carmelo at the trade deadline," said one source close to the negotiations, "they were never going to get him."

This wasn't the case with LeBron James, because James never said he wanted to play in New York. Anthony told everyone he wanted to spend the balance of his prime in the Garden. If the Knicks didn't make it happen, they would've lost whatever respect they had left around the league.

Isaih may or may not have influenced this deal but his "running the show" is not a result of the trade even if the trade was a result of him "running the show". Attacking the trade because of Isiah instead of focusing on the merits of what we got verse gave up is why you fail. (well one of the many reasons)

NO I am not wrong. Just my opinion. I have been a KNicks fan since 1967 which was probably before you even born. Lupica agrees with my opinion so I will leave it at that

Lupica is a human being and is entitled to his opinion and so are you. That said, his opinion is just one opinion out in the ether. Being a fan since 67 doesn't mean anything about your knowledge or ability to look at this trade in it's proper context. My evidence for that would be each post you have made...

here is an opinion of you by another poster that I agree with. Does that make it fact like you suggest?

Just ignore him guys,he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Do you know how to use the quote functions? Obviously not...

Wow, so I was wrong, I thought he made it twice, not once big deal.

What a blatantly made up assertion. We gave up 4 starters on a .500 team and got 2 starters in return. One of those starters (chandler) was gone at the end of the year. Just stop. Further, claiming Walsh would have gotten a better deal is you once again talking out of your ass. I already proved that Melo would have signed the extension with the Nets or stayed in Denver if the Knicks offer fell through. Therefore we needed to beat the Nets offer or Denver would have sent him to NJ.

Again:

Isaih may or may not have influenced this deal but his "running the show" is not a result of the trade even if the trade was a result of him "running the show". Attacking the trade because of Isiah instead of focusing on the merits of what we got verse gave up is why you fail. (well one of the many reasons)

Lupica is a human being and is entitled to his opinion and so are you. That said, his opinion is just one opinion out in the ether. Being a fan since 67 doesn't mean anything about your knowledge or ability to look at this trade in it's proper context. My evidence for that would be each post you have made...

here is an opinion of you by another poster that I agree with. Does that make it fact like you suggest?

Walsh did not want to give up that much. It was all over the media.
He will leave with dignity or be thrown to the curb.

You said that melo would have signed with the Nets you never said the Nuggets.

Whatever.

The questions are if the Knicks can eventually win a title since they have been void of one since 1973.

They do not match up at all with the Lakers, Celtics, or Spurs right now.

They need a lot of help still preferably some big bodies.

My hope is that Melo does better in the playoffs than his history has shown.

Also, D'Antoni may not be the answer to winning a championship.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Walsh did not want to give up that much. It was all over the media.
He will leave with dignity or be thrown to the curb.

You said that melo would have signed with the Nets you never said the Nuggets.

Whatever.

The questions are if the Knicks can eventually win a title since they have been void of one since 1973.

They do not match up at all with the Lakers, Celtics, or Spurs right now.

They need a lot of help still preferably some big bodies.

My hope is that Melo does better in the playoffs than his history has shown.

Also, D'Antoni may not be the answer to winning a championship.

Please try and follow the logic:

Nets make an offer that Denver liked.

Melo told Dolan he does not want to gamble with the CBA and wants to sign an extension while stating Knicks are his number one choice. (hence there are other places he would be willing to go in order to secure his extention)

Knicks up their offer to equal or exceed the offer of the Nets to ensure they win the bidding war. Not because Dolan haphazardly threw more people in for fun.

Melo signs with the Knicks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, Wlah was on board for the entire trade but held his ground on Mozgov. Is Mozgov really worth chancing Denver trading with the Nets or keeping Melo themselves? I mean you do realize that you are making hay over an undrafted rookie who while has promise is easily replaceable.

MusketeerX

Rotation player

Melo told Dolan he does not want to gamble with the CBA and wants to sign an extension while stating Knicks are his number one choice. (hence there are other places he would be willing to go in order to secure his extention)

Knicks up their offer to equal or exceed the offer of the Nets to ensure they win the bidding war. Not because Dolan haphazardly threw more people in for fun.

BTW, Wlah was on board for the entire trade but held his ground on Mozgov. Is Mozgov really worth chancing Denver trading with the Nets or keeping Melo themselves? I mean you do realize that you are making hay over an undrafted rookie who while has promise is easily replaceable.

Mozgov has some serious potential. We have no center, and his inclusion was not necessary to make this deal happen.

After the trade went down, Denver's FO was asked if they would have still went through with it.

Their answer was something along the lines of: "I can't say we wouldn't have went through with it, but all that matters is we got him."

I find the Knicks situation very comparable to the Hawks situation with Joe Johnson. You sign him for big bucks, are still stuck in limbo, but it almost seems like it is the move you have to make.

The future of the Knicks, right now, depends on the CBA. There is some promise there, though, because the NBA will not screw over a big market franchise like NY (see: Punishments for our illegal work-out sessions).

Dolan should have stayed out of it. I still believe that we would have gotten Anthony and for much less.

I think this sums up the situation we are in VERY WELL:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/22/schmeelk’s-stance-a-bittersweet-trade/

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Mozgov has some serious potential. We have no center, and his inclusion was not necessary to make this deal happen.

After the trade went down, Denver's FO was asked if they would have still went through with it.

Their answer was something along the lines of: "I can't say we wouldn't have went through with it, but all that matters is we got him."

I find the Knicks situation very comparable to the Hawks situation with Joe Johnson. You sign him for big bucks, are still stuck in limbo, but it almost seems like it is the move you have to make.

The future of the Knicks, right now, depends on the CBA. There is some promise there, though, because the NBA will not screw over a big market franchise like NY (see: Punishments for our illegal work-out sessions).

Dolan should have stayed out of it. I still believe that we would have gotten Anthony and for much less.

I think this sums up the situation we are in VERY WELL:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/22/schmeelk’s-stance-a-bittersweet-trade/

Right. This all boils down to Mozgov. Walsh seemed prepared to play a game of chicken, risking Melo for the chance to retain Mozgov. Dolan thought the risk was to great and over ruled Walsh. Yes, Moz has potential and is a 7 footer on a team already lacking in size but at the end of the day we got our man.

You can argue that Walsh may have forced Denver to fold but it is an unknowable therefore should not be factored in.

All of that makes sense if it is true. The Nets offer was on the table for a long long time and he never agreed to it.

If the Knicks lost Melo I would be inclined to think he would sign with the Nuggets.

Whatever.

If the Knicks get Deron Williams or CP3 next year it willl give them a chance to compete in the Eastern Conference.

They still need a lot more pieces now.

Sheridan thinks we can go far in the playoffs:
Well, take a look at the NBA standings and try to make a strong case that the Knicks can't make it out of the first round now that they are on the verge of acquiring another 30-point-per-night scorer.

Go ahead, make your case. (And don't argue that Timofey Mozgov was going to make the difference. He wasn't.) The No. 3 seed is a toss-up, and if the Knicks go into the postseason as a No. 6 against the right team (like the Chicago Bulls), they can't be instantly written off.

In the bigger scheme of things, the Knicks' tentative deal to acquire Anthony means they are going to be relevant through the spring of 2015. They didn't just acquire him for this season. He's on board for the same amount of time LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh will be in Miami.

Whatever happens this season is gravy.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The Celtics and Lakers are way deeper than the Knicks. The Knicks need a lot of help especially down low. Howard has said that he wants to go to the Lakers. I like Deron more than Chris Paul.

I also hope that we can find a better coach than D'Antoni.
I believe that no team that led the league in scoring with poor defense has won the title.

DeAndre Jordan would be a good addition.

Howard stated he wanted a bigger market and LA was his #1 but NY was on his list as a 1a. LA will need to DUMP salary to sign him unless he goes there for less money.
For now, I read someone suggest Dalembert and I would be for him as a rental this season to see how he would fit. But it is crucial we maintain our cap space for the summer of 2012 to make a run at one of the big 3!!!
Jordan is a nice player and would be a good fit for this team but he is a restricted free agent this summer and to get him you'll end up giving him 35/40 or 5 and that will prevent us from from getting 1 of the big 3 in 2012.... We just need another TALL guy for now and I would LOVE Odem to really loack down this roster. His court vision, passing ability and rebounding would be a welcome addition to this roster! Not sure LA would trade him but that is what we should be looking at for now (He also has only 2 years left on his contract as well).