Knicks will get trade exception for Minny

moneyg

Starter
Chris sheridan just reported on 1050espn radion that the knicks will be receiving a trade exception for Curry's contract from Minny.

It a good chip to have.. we can get a big with a 2012 expiring contract without giving up a player

3 players jump out at me....

Jamison.. to backup amare...
kamnan.. to start at center when healthy
dalembert...we can get him for the rest of this year for playoff run

anybody else you guys would like to use that trade exception on???

as long as it expires in or by 2012.. its all good

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
:alert:I just heard this as well. You beat me moneyg lol... This is great we can get Samuel and his exp contract for a player like bill walker if they are interested...

I love this deal.:alert:

moneyg

Starter
:alert:I just heard this as well. You beat me moneyg lol... This is great we can get Samuel and his exp contract for a player like bill walker if they are interested...

I love this deal.:alert:

yeah im pumped up.. remember when i told you a long time ago that denver will want felton for billups and nobody believed..:smokin:

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9512&highlight=felton+billups

melo and billups for curry, (galo or chandler), fields and felton and future 1st
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->melo and billups for curry, (galo or chandler - only one i know its about 50 -50 who prefers who), fields and felton and future 1st

if denver ask for this trade would you do it?

what do you think???

mafra

Legend
HUGE NEWS.

Getting Corey Brewer and the trade exemption is great. It's almost like we never dealt Randolph and Curry for the 1st rounder.

I mean, we actually have more. AR was not part of the rotation, but Brewer will be. PLus we still get a Dalembert, Przy or Kaman.

I know LAC are looking at trading for GALLO, we can help by taking Kaman off their hands.

Knicks4Life_1985

&#9733;The Floor General&#9733;
yeah im pumped up.. remember when i told you a long time ago that denver will want felton for billups and nobody believed..:smokin:

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9512&highlight=felton+billups

melo and billups for curry, (galo or chandler), fields and felton and future 1st

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->melo and billups for curry, (galo or chandler - only one i know its about 50 -50 who prefers who), fields and felton and future 1st

if denver ask for this trade would you do it?

what do you think???

plus one sir lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
i think its closer to 11mil.. not 100% though

50% of Curry's contract had been payed per the clause in Isiah's bumbling contract. I'm not sure either though. I do know that the entirety of Curry's contract will come off the books in Minny.

STAT1

Starter
This is awesome news. That trade exception is hugely valuable w/a pending CBA & teams concerned about potential luxury tax savings. We need to take advantage of this while we can & not let it go to waste! Would love to nab Deandre Jordan from the Clips if we could this summer, Sterling is a notoriously cheap owner.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Looks like you are warming up to this trade huh?

Temporarily. The aftermath is still percolating as Clyde would so suavely put it. I don't like the trade primarily because it wasn't on Donnie's terms, and I have little doubt that he won't be extended, nor wish to be.

There was talk of DW being free to delegate GM operations as he sees fit. Now that Dolan's going to be taking all the credit for this - deserving or no - I think that he'll grab the reigns and head for the cliff.

I'm beginning to sound like a robot here, but: CBA and management. I see a bad moon risin'.

alg_isiah_dolan.jpg

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
This is awesome news. That trade exception is hugely valuable w/a pending CBA & teams concerned about potential luxury tax savings. We need to take advantage of this while we can & not let it go to waste! Would love to nab Deandre Jordan from the Clips if we could this summer, Sterling is a notoriously cheap owner.

I am not that familar with a trade exception in the NBA. Is this something Minnesota included in the trade to give us some extra cap room to help us trade for another player?

STAT1

Starter
I am not that familar with a trade exception in the NBA. Is this something Minnesota included in the trade to give us some extra cap room to help us trade for another player?

Here's a full explanation of the trade exception:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14923

A trade exception is like a gift card with an expiration date. Those of you who just received gift cards for Christmas will relate – you have an amount of money you can spend. You can keep using the card until either: 1) You have exceeded the spending limit; or 2) The card expires.

For example in one of the trades I listed above, the Clippers sent Randolph to the Grizzlies for Richardson last July 17. Since Randolph made about $7.3 million more than Richardson, the Clippers received a $7.3 million credit, with an expiration date of July 17, 2010. They used part of this credit last August 12 to acquire Rasual Butler. The remaining $3.4 million is still available for the Clippers to use until July 17. Any amount still outstanding on July 17 will simply vanish.

Since Butler was acquired with the Clippers' trade exception, his acquisition was considered to be a part of the Randolph-Richardson trade. Therefore the Clippers did not have to send away any additional salary last August 12 in order to acquire Butler.

Here are some other facts about trade exceptions:
  • When determining whether a trade is simultaneous or non-simultaneous, and the amount of any trade exception, only current contracts are considered. Any cash, draft rights and future draft picks are ignored.
  • Trade exceptions are known by many names, so be on the lookout when you're reading information from different sources. They are sometimes called Traded Player Exceptions, or simply TPEs. There is no definition for trade exceptions in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Even worse, the CBA uses the term Traded Player Exception to refer to something else – the entire process by which teams can make trades when they are over the salary cap.
  • Trade exceptions can't be added to anything. A team can acquire 125% of the salary they trade away (in a simultaneous trade). So if they have a $10 million player, he can be traded for up to $12.5 million in incoming salary. If they also have an outstanding trade exception for $5 million, they can't add it to the $12.5 million in order to acquire a player making $17.5 million. The trade exception can only be used to acquire a player or players making the amount of the exception or less (plus a $100,000 fudge factor).
  • Trade exceptions can't be added to other trade exceptions, either. Right now the Lakers have two trade exceptions – one for $2.5 million, and the other for $1.9 million. They can't combine them to acquire a player making $4.4 million. The $2.5 million exception can only be used to acquire a player making $2.5 million or less, and the $1.9 million exception can only be used to acquire a player making $1.9 million or less (again, each also has a $100,000 fudge factor).
  • People commonly refer to teams trading their trade exceptions. This doesn't happen. A team never acquires a trade exception from another team. However, in the same trade a team might use their existing trade exception, while the other team generates a new trade exception of their own, which they then have a year to use.
Basically you get a trade exception from the league whenever you give up more salary than you take back in a trade (when the other team has the cap space to absorb the contract you're giving away). That happened in this trade where we gave away Curry & AR's contracts to Minny & only got back Corey Brewer in return. A trade exception can be used to make another deal with any team that's looking to dump a contract, basically as an "invisible player" of sorts, to match the dollars in another deal, but there's also a limited time that you have to use this trade exception, if you don't use it then you lose it. This is a hugely valuable asset we can use to get a player from a team that's looking to save on payroll & the luxury tax.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Here's a full explanation of the trade exception:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14923

Basically you get a trade exception from the league whenever you give up more salary than you take back in a trade (when the other team has the cap space to absorb the contract you're giving away). That happened in this trade where we gave away Curry & AR's contracts to Minny & only got back Corey Brewer in return. A trade exception can be used to make another deal with any team that's looking to dump a contract, basically as an "invisible player" of sorts, to match the dollars in another deal, but there's also a limited time that you have to use this trade exception, if you don't use it then you lose it. This is a hugely valuable asset we can use to get a player from a team that's looking to save on payroll & the luxury tax.

Thats ALOT bro, that explains it very well. So this is just an added bonus to acquiring a top player in the game and dumping Currys contract. Hopefully they will use it on a big man like others have already posted (Camby, Kaman, etc.).

Once again, thanks for the info.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Does anybody know how this works?? I can't figure the numbers to make it work. Cap/salary wise. Where did it come from, where is the salary match?

Although, if we got Corey Brewer, 1st round pick and an $11mil trade exception, then this deal seems pretty good.

My biggest concerns about this trade was the lack of assets and flexibility to build around Amare and Melo. This definitely changes things.

iSaYughh

Starter
Camby isn't coming. Bigtime longshot, at least.Even if a trade gets team approved, there's decent credibility to the fact that he will just retire before moving his family again.

And we should hope we, or anyone else, doesn't get Kaman. Henceforth, kneecapping our chances further at getting the premier FA for us -- Jordan.

Dalembert makes the most sense then; but let's see if PHI goes about a firesale of any kind. Solid chance they will want some cents to their dollar; even with Dalembert being a rental.

Our best chance at this point is getting really good performances out of Douglas/Walker/Williams the rest of the season, helping this off season in any moved for restricted FA's -- a la Jordan.

And just praying the CBA doesn't administer a rape.

Ironic that we placed so much focus on Melo's potential $ loss if the CBA goes bad; but not the invariable hurt on us, if we guarantee him safety, but not inoculating ourselves.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Camby isn't coming. Bigtime longshot, at least.Even if a trade gets team approved, there's decent credibility to the fact that he will just retire before moving his family again.

And we should hope we, or anyone else, doesn't get Kaman. Henceforth, kneecapping our chances further at getting the premier FA for us -- Jordan.

Dalembert makes the most sense then; but let's see if PHI goes about a firesale of any kind. Solid chance they will want some cents to their dollar; even with Dalembert being a rental.

Isnt Dalembert on the Kings? Nevermind I gotcha. Imagine if we could snag Marc Gasol? Highly highly doubtful