Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the 3-team deal between the Wizards, Suns and Grizzlies is now dead.
The deal is dead because the Suns thought they were getting Dillon Brooks instead of MarShon Brooks. That means Trevor Ariza is staying in Phoenix for the time being, but we imagine the Suns will be back on the phones trying to move him right away.

tiger0330

Legend
According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the 3-team deal between the Wizards, Suns and Grizzlies is now dead.
The deal is dead because the Suns thought they were getting Dillon Brooks instead of MarShon Brooks. That means Trevor Ariza is staying in Phoenix for the time being, but we imagine the Suns will be back on the phones trying to move him right away.
Done deal w/o the Griz. 33 year old for Oubre and Rivers without any picks coming back, Grunfeld should be fired for this and that 11-18 record. Wiz held the cards on Oubre with him being restricted, Grunfeld should have played out the hand and seen what he would have to match to keep him. Couldn't be any worse than giving up two decent assets for a 33 yr old Ariza on a one year deal. Grunfeld might be left with nothing to show for letting go of Oubre and Rivers next season.

Broadway

All Star
Done deal w/o the Griz. 33 year old for Oubre and Rivers without any picks coming back, Grunfeld should be fired for this and that 11-18 record. Wiz held the cards on Oubre with him being restricted, Grunfeld should have played out the hand and seen what he would have to match to keep him. Couldn't be any worse than giving up two decent assets for a 33 yr old Ariza on a one year deal. Grunfeld might be left with nothing to show for letting go of Oubre and Rivers next season.

This is what happens when GMs don't project 3-4yrs down the road when it comes to how competitive their team will be coupled with salary. He might have been able to get a very low 1st rounder at best for Oubre although probably not based on how their season has gone

Which is why we can't be entertaining trying to re-up the Kanters/Vonlehs/Burkes of the world. We've already created a disaster with THJR/Lee/Noah/Thomas

Washington shouldn't have signed Mahinmi nor Howard and probably should've traded Porter or worked out a S&T with Sacramento 2 summers ago.

Kiyaman

Legend

Damn! I wanted the Knicks to trade for Kelly Oubre Jr. and Beal for our future super star KP and Timmy.

tiger0330

Legend
Sun's are waiving Rivers, they didn't have a roster spot and he wasn't having a great year. I would think Houston will be his next team after he clears waivers.

tiger0330

Legend
Nits isn't the only one in the trade rumor mill. Wouldn't it be ironic if we get a Nits for DSJ deal and the Knicks and Mavs say we did this deal because these guys were the guys both teams really wanted.

mafra

Legend
Enes Kanter may not have requested a trade, but that doesn't mean teams haven't called the Knicks about the big man.

According to The Athletic's Mike Vorkunov, the Knicks are already seeing interest on Kanter, and they are listening. However, no deal appears imminent at the moment.

tiger0330

Legend
Thibs gave up Zack, Dunn and Laurie to get Jimmy. He's not trading him for 2 of Tim, Clee and LT. If the Knicks want Butler the opening offer better be Porzingis and maybe Thibs considers eating THJ contract. Thibs is on the hot seat in MN, if he loses Butler without at least getting someone like Blake Griffin back he's going to be out of a job like SVG is.

MIN owner telling GMs and Execs to call him directly with trades, if Layden is unresponsive. ?The owner will trade Butler,? says one source.

In other words, doesn?t matter what Thibbs thinks here.
TWolves fire Thibs. Came out of the blue since it was reported he wasn't expecting it and it came after a TWolves win and not after an embarrassing loss as so often happens. The Butler fiasco was his undoing, showed he couldn't handle the dual jobs of coach and President.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...olves-fire-coach-team-president-tom-thibodeau

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN + on Thibs firing. I said he was unable to handle the dual roles of Pres and coach, they say he failed to make them defensive team he made the Bulls.

Defensive improvement needed

Ultimately, Thibodeau's biggest failure in Minnesota had nothing to do with his dual role coaching and overseeing basketball operations. Instead, it was his inability to translate the elite defense his Chicago Bulls teams played to the modern, 3-happy NBA.
Thibodeau's Chicago tenure featured four top-five defenses in five seasons, including two No. 1 overall finishes. The Bulls' worst defensive rating under Thibodeau ranked 11th. Yet the Timberwolves finished 26th and 23rd in defense on a per-possession basis the past two seasons, and have been only slightly better (17th) this year.
Minnesota did surge defensively during a home-heavy stretch after the Butler trade, ranking third in defensive rating while going 9-3 to climb over .500 on the season. The Timberwolves couldn't maintain that defensive success, slipping to 18th since then, translating into a 6-9 record.
With Towns at center, Minnesota will probably always sacrifice some defensive strength for offensive firepower -- particularly with more shooting around him. But the equation for hiring Thibodeau depended on his defensive acumen outweighing his tendency to grind down players, and when that wasn't the case, keeping Thibodeau became tougher to justify. Whoever comes next will have to do more with a similar set of pieces.

Broadway

All Star
ESPN + on Thibs firing. I said he was unable to handle the dual roles of Pres and coach, they say he failed to make them defensive team he made the Bulls.

Defensive improvement needed

Ultimately, Thibodeau's biggest failure in Minnesota had nothing to do with his dual role coaching and overseeing basketball operations. Instead, it was his inability to translate the elite defense his Chicago Bulls teams played to the modern, 3-happy NBA.
Thibodeau's Chicago tenure featured four top-five defenses in five seasons, including two No. 1 overall finishes. The Bulls' worst defensive rating under Thibodeau ranked 11th. Yet the Timberwolves finished 26th and 23rd in defense on a per-possession basis the past two seasons, and have been only slightly better (17th) this year.
Minnesota did surge defensively during a home-heavy stretch after the Butler trade, ranking third in defensive rating while going 9-3 to climb over .500 on the season. The Timberwolves couldn't maintain that defensive success, slipping to 18th since then, translating into a 6-9 record.
With Towns at center, Minnesota will probably always sacrifice some defensive strength for offensive firepower -- particularly with more shooting around him. But the equation for hiring Thibodeau depended on his defensive acumen outweighing his tendency to grind down players, and when that wasn't the case, keeping Thibodeau became tougher to justify. Whoever comes next will have to do more with a similar set of pieces.

Sounds bogus, appears every since Hoiberg became available The Wolves had more of an itch to get rid of Thibs. I mean the team improved defensively even if ever so slightly and have maintained a near .500 record since the Butler trade what were the Wolves really expecting?

I'm pretty sure The Bulls were crappy defensively under Hoiberg too, so if he eventually makes his way to the sidelines remember this post.

tiger0330

Legend
Sounds bogus, appears every since Hoiberg became available The Wolves had more of an itch to get rid of Thibs. I mean the team improved defensively even if ever so slightly and have maintained a near .500 record since the Butler trade what were the Wolves really expecting?

I'm pretty sure The Bulls were crappy defensively under Hoiberg too, so if he eventually makes his way to the sidelines remember this post.
The timing seems crazy and you know it was engineered by Taylor and not Layden since Thibs brought Layden on and they're friends. Have to believe that a Hoiberg is the new coach announcement is imminent otherwise why fire him now?

I remember when I wanted the Knicks to hire him but he could never get the job of President and coach with the Knicks.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
The timing seems crazy and you know it was engineered by Taylor and not Layden since Thibs brought Layden on and they're friends. Have to believe that a Hoiberg is the new coach announcement is imminent otherwise why fire him now?

I remember when I wanted the Knicks to hire him but he could never get the job of President and coach with the Knicks.

Mike Fratello says he's a top 5 coach in the NBA and I believe it. Can't wait to see Minnesota fail another 5-10yrs. Towns and Wiggins are leading them nowhere

mafra

Legend
The Knicks and Kings have reportedly had preliminary discussions regarding a potential Enes Kanter-Zach Randolph swap.

The Kings would reportedly want to send out a few more expiring contracts in this deal (likely Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos), but in order to do so, they'd likely need to get a third team involved. To be clear, nothing is imminent here, but Sacramento would be a decent landing spot for Kanter as there would be less of a shutdown risk there. If such a deal does go down, Willie Cauley-Stein and Marvin Bagley's value will take a hit. Stay tuned.

Broadway

All Star
The Knicks and Kings have reportedly had preliminary discussions regarding a potential Enes Kanter-Zach Randolph swap.

The Kings would reportedly want to send out a few more expiring contracts in this deal (likely Iman Shumpert and Kosta Koufos), but in order to do so, they'd likely need to get a third team involved. To be clear, nothing is imminent here, but Sacramento would be a decent landing spot for Kanter as there would be less of a shutdown risk there. If such a deal does go down, Willie Cauley-Stein and Marvin Bagley's value will take a hit. Stay tuned.

Please let this materialize as I suggested a few games ago in a Game Thread!

I'm aware and all we have to be is within 125% +/- of salary if I'm not mistaken...here are some examples
Kanter/Knits/Dotson for (Magic) Vucevic/Grant/pick

Kanter/Burke for (Clips) Gortat/Thornwell/pick

Kanter for (Nets) Faried/Graham/pick

Kanter/Burke for (Kings) Koufus/Shumpert/Cash/pick

Kanter/Burke for (Wolves) Gibson/Aldrich/pick

Kanter/Burke for (Mavs) Matthews/pick

Keep in mind some teams are positioned to be a playoff team, bubble playoff team, and need better depth. I really like the Orlando trade although it would hurt to give them up the kids but Vucevic is a excellent piece next to #kporzee or a replacement for him should he leave in free agency

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Please let this materialize as I suggested a few games ago in a Game Thread!

Good call on Koufas/Shump B. None of them would interest the Knicks and I would think Perry is asking for a second round pick to take Zack who isn't even sitting on their bench for Kanter who would help their playoff run.

Broadway

All Star
DAL on verge of trading DSJ... so much for Cuban’s boast they got steal of the century in the draft.

According to Alex Kennedy we're probably one of the teams in the mix. Citing a hoopshype article written on this that 2 of the 4 teams are confirmed(we're 1 of the 4). Appears Suns/Magic have a leg up but I hope we get in on this

I will gladly take DSJ...twice on Sundays

Kanter/Lee for Matthews/DSJ if they ask for Knits then expand the package a little more