Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers 1/31/2021 1:00 pm [Game #21]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

LAC.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(15-5) -- (9-11)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG1:00 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Los Angeles ClippersNew York Knicks
Patrick Beverley - Right Knee Soreness (OUT)Nerlens Noel - Sore left groin (OUT)

Game Preview

The Los Angeles Clippers definitely got their stars back Friday night. The New York Knicks would be content to look back upon Friday as the night Immanuel Quickley continued emerging as a franchise-caliber player.

The Clippers and Knicks will each look to build off encouraging wins on Sunday afternoon, when Los Angeles is scheduled to visit New York in a nonconference matchup.

Kawhi Leonard and Paul George returned from missing two games due to coronavirus protocols Friday night, when they combined to score 50 points as the Clippers cruised to a 116-90 win over the host Orlando Magic. Quickley had another big game off the bench as he scored 25 points to spark the Knicks, who overcame a 10-point first quarter deficit to earn a 102-81 win over the visiting Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Clippers went 1-1 without Leonard and George, who helped fuel a seven-game winning streak that ended during their first game on the sidelines Tuesday, when Los Angeles fell to the Atlanta Hawks, 108-99.

"It was a bummer because we were on a good roll and me and 'PG' go out," Leonard said Friday night. "That's my mindset around it. Just want to play basketball and wanting to keep building on our chemistry and get better. But understand what the protocols are and it was a chance for guys to step up and play a bigger role."

The Clippers had six players score in double figures in a 109-105 win over the Miami Heat on Thursday night. With Leonard and George back Friday, no one played 29 minutes in the lopsided victory over the Magic.

"I think on a night when guys were a little tired, just having their presence was big for us," Clippers head coach Tyronn Lue said. "It was huge. Just making plays for everybody else, making the game easy."

Quickley has established himself as a second-half playmaker off the bench for the Knicks. He scored 13 points during a decisive 28-8 run that spanned the third and fourth quarters on Friday, five nights after scoring 21 of his career-high 31 points in the fourth quarter of a 116-113 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers.

"I was just having fun," Quickley said Friday night. "That's all."

Despite not starting a game yet, Quickley has scored in double figures in seven of the 16 games in which he's played. But Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau said he's pleased with what is working late and is in no rush to change the role for Quickley, whom New York acquired from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Nov. 20, two days after the Thunder selected him in the first round of the draft.

"There's always a thought with everything," Thibodeau said. "Because someone doesn't start -- it's not that important to me. It's having groups that play well together. And you can always finish with the guys who give you the best chance to win the game."

Quickley is averaging 11.6 points despite averaging just 18.5 minutes per game.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Knicks offense has been very good. IQ comes in and does his thing making an impact right away. Looks like Knox as is Noel out of the rotation in favor of Thibs binkie Gibson :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:. OB1 continues to have to look for scraps. The defense hasn't been so stellar, at all first half

Broadway

All Star
Payton had Robinson guarded by Kennard in the paint and didn't go to him. This is where I see two things...underscores how bad Payton is as a pg but the tell tell sign for me Robinson is advancing his game. It should be clear in situations like that to get him the ball

Now I know why Robinson made the tweet and deleted it

I appreciate Toppin?s enthusiasm for setting screens, but he just hit Marcus Morris so hard that Walt said ?you couldn?t even do that in the 50s?

On a couple occasions, Toppin has leaked down the court passed the defense but Knicks have not gone to him. Pretty sure I saw a look of frustration on his face the last time it happened. The guy wants to run. Definitely has the Amare mentality.

Quickley is killing them but Thibs says it doesn't matter if he starts or not...smh

I think what Thibs says now and where he knows this is going probably don?t match up. Quickley is going to force his hand. Probably drives him crazy playing a rookie like this at the start of the season giving his old guard mentality.

Broadway

All Star
Austin Rivers is GARBAGE....I hate signing the signing so much

Guy has a good game or makes a couple baskets and he thinks he's an All-Star for the next dozen. He's limited in so many ways and kills you more than he saves you

Too much Kawhi. Incidentally, Kawhi is now guarding Quickley.

Yes, Rivers not great. He just drove in the lane, passed up an open shot, and drove back to the perimeter resulting in a 3 point chuck from Gibson and a shot clock violation.

Broadway

All Star
Thibs your rotations are so questionable!!! Thibs is pissing me OFF

Why have you sat RJ so long? Why isn't Randle in the game when the lead is almost double digits and he's been hot from 3 all game?

Clippers are kind of nuts defensively. They have Kawhi on Quickley, George on RJ, and still have Morris to put on Randle.

Broadway

All Star
Too much Kawhi. Incidentally, Kawhi is now guarding Quickley.

Yes, Rivers not great. He just drove in the lane, passed up an open shot, and drove back to the perimeter resulting in a 3 point chuck from Gibson and a shot clock violation.

Out of a timeout correct?...disgusting possession

Broadway

All Star
I think what Thibs says now and where he knows this is going probably don’t match up. Quickley is going to force his hand. Probably drives him crazy playing a rookie like this at the start of the season giving his old guard mentality.

I bet he looks at Charlotte and says "LaMelo doesn't start and he's playing well"...smh