The Great Patrick Ewing

If you had a choice, who would you want to coach the Knicks next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
D'Antoni needs to get the f*(k out of New York. Patrick Ewing needs to be the head coach. Mark Jackson would make a good assistant, but I'd take him over D'Antoni, too. I'd even take Kevin McHale over Dyke M'Anphony. At least McHale gives his centers playing time.

Kiyaman

Legend
Players Ewing & Starks would've had coach Damtoni FIRED within the second month of the season.
Ask coach Don Nelson

smokes

Huge Member
Although I still think D'antoni was the right choice for coach at the time he was hired (as a proven coach vs Ewing's unproven status at that time) I can't disagree that Ewing would make a better coach for this team right now and in the future.

Whether we land the ultimate prize or not Patrick Ewing will bring back the heart and hustle that has epitomized great Knicks teams of the past. He could also bring out the pride and effort from those players that need that personal motivation to be the best they can be (Chandler, Gallo, Lee).

He would also be good for enhancing the role of Toney Douglas as a defensive guard and hopefully could do a great job with coaching up our next big man acquisition.

Great article on your site sly, we can only hope :)

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I actually prefer a coach that actually has coached.
Mark Jackson I think will coach the Johnnies and at least Mike got the Suns to the playoffd.
You have to admit we don't have the most talented roster (a lot of hangovers from the Thomas era), we have some great pieces (Gallinari, Lee, Chandler, Douglas)
D'Antoni has made some bad coaching moves, but the Olympic team players love the guy.
So look at 2010 and on!

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Although I still think D'antoni was the right choice for coach at the time he was hired (as a proven coach vs Ewing's unproven status at that time) I can't disagree that Ewing would make a better coach for this team right now and in the future.

Whether we land the ultimate prize or not Patrick Ewing will bring back the heart and hustle that has epitomized great Knicks teams of the past. He could also bring out the pride and effort from those players that need that personal motivation to be the best they can be (Chandler, Gallo, Lee).

He would also be good for enhancing the role of Toney Douglas as a defensive guard and hopefully could do a great job with coaching up our next big man acquisition.

Great article on your site sly, we can only hope :)

Yea, no doubt.

I understand that people still favor d'antoni because he is "proven," but really the only thing he has proven is that he can't coach defense, he hates rookies, and that he uses irrational logic when deciding who to put on the court. With Ewing or Jackson, we will get a new coach that will bring in fresh ideas. Also, a coach who has toughness (face it- d'antoni's a bitch) and is defensive-minded.

We gotta make a move on one of these two before its too late.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Players Ewing & Starks would've had coach Damtoni FIRED within the second month of the season.
Ask coach Don Nelson

Yea, we got bitch players now :lol:

Stephon Marbury could of probably gotten him kicked out by now. Maybe that's the reason d'antoni went thru that whole ordeal with Steph.....

smokes

Huge Member
Yea, no doubt.

I understand that people still favor d'antoni because he is "proven," but really the only thing he has proven is that he can't coach defense, he hates rookies, and that he uses irrational logic when deciding who to put on the court. With Ewing or Jackson, we will get a new coach that will bring in fresh ideas. Also, a coach who has toughness (face it- d'antoni's a bitch) and is defensive-minded.

We gotta make a move on one of these two before its too late.

Yeah well I don't favour D'antoni anymore since I've seen his horrendous coaching errors, but in that summer of 2008 I would have taken him over Ewing.

I didn't know Mark Jackson was going into coaching. He's a very good analyst though.

Kiyaman

Legend
I actually prefer a coach that actually has coached.
Mark Jackson I think will coach the Johnnies and at least Mike got the Suns to the playoffd.
You have to admit we don't have the most talented roster (a lot of hangovers from the Thomas era), we have some great pieces (Gallinari, Lee, Chandler, Douglas)
D'Antoni has made some bad coaching moves, but the Olympic team players love the guy.
So look at 2010 and on!

Dantoni is not a proven NBA coach....he's a proven Euro league coach.
Damntoni had two seasons with the Knicks to prove he is a NBA coach, inwhich he has broken Knicks career history records to prove he is not a NBA headcoach.
Damntoni tour with the Phoenix Suns was a FLUKE!

Remember uptempo PG-Jason Kidd ran the Suns offense for 5 seasons untill the 2001-2 season. The Suns replace Kidd with a halfcourt Marbury. And then replaced Marbury with an uptempo Nash. But.....

Here's an article written on June 30 2003. on the Phoenix Suns headcoach Frank Johnson 44 win season with Marbury:

After Frank Johnson Suns lost to the Championship Spurs in a 6 game playoff series the Suns have alot to evaluate this offseason.
Phoenix Top free agents:
Randy Brown, Scott Williams, Dan Langhi, Jake Voskuhl
What they have:
PG: Stephon Marbury, Randy Brown
SG: Penny Hardaway, Joe Johnson, Casey Jacobsen
SF: Shawn Marion, Dan Langhi
PF: Amare Stoudemire, Bo Outlaw, Tom Gugliotta, Alton Ford
C: Jake Tsakilidis, Jake Voskuhl, Scott Williams
Draftees: SF Zarko Cabarkapa; PG Leandro Barbosa.

What they need: The Suns are in a nice position for the future, with Marbury, Marion and Stoudamire looking like a good core. Gugliotta's contract comes off the ledger after this year, which will get the team out of its payroll trouble. The center spot still needs help, and a backup point guard should be on the to-do list, unless the Suns feel Barbosa is ready for the job. As this team matures, though, it should be very good.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Dantoni is not a proven NBA coach....he's a proven Euro league coach.
Damntoni had two seasons with the Knicks to prove he is a NBA coach, inwhich he has broken Knicks career history records to prove he is not a NBA headcoach.
Damntoni tour with the Phoenix Suns was a FLUKE!

Remember uptempo PG-Jason Kidd ran the Suns offense for 5 seasons untill the 2001-2 season. The Suns replace Kidd with a halfcourt Marbury. And then replaced Marbury with an uptempo Nash. But.....

Here's an article written on June 30 2003. on the Phoenix Suns headcoach Frank Johnson 44 win season with Marbury:

After Frank Johnson Suns lost to the Championship Spurs in a 6 game playoff series the Suns have alot to evaluate this offseason.
Phoenix Top free agents:
Randy Brown, Scott Williams, Dan Langhi, Jake Voskuhl
What they have:
PG: Stephon Marbury, Randy Brown
SG: Penny Hardaway, Joe Johnson, Casey Jacobsen
SF: Shawn Marion, Dan Langhi
PF: Amare Stoudemire, Bo Outlaw, Tom Gugliotta, Alton Ford
C: Jake Tsakilidis, Jake Voskuhl, Scott Williams
Draftees: SF Zarko Cabarkapa; PG Leandro Barbosa.

What they need: The Suns are in a nice position for the future, with Marbury, Marion and Stoudamire looking like a good core. Gugliotta's contract comes off the ledger after this year, which will get the team out of its payroll trouble. The center spot still needs help, and a backup point guard should be on the to-do list, unless the Suns feel Barbosa is ready for the job. As this team matures, though, it should be very good.

The fact that they went 6 games with the spurs says alot about Starbury. I dont believe the Kidd-led Nets did any better. Joe Johnson was still young and didnt play much until the next year. Duncan was a beast that year in the playoffs, better then kevin garknee ever was.

But anyways, Antoni did have a lucky run with the suns, he had a group of players that worked together very well on offense. The team did win 50+ games with Amare out, so I do believe he is good as an offensive coach but his decision making is bad at times, and he hasn't proven he can coach a team good defensively. I would lean towards saying that he's failed as a coach defensively. He had a team that shoulda been better then they were in phoenix. Amare still doesnt really know how to play defense, but if he did hes got the size and athleticism to change the game on both ends of the court. The Suns could never get past the Spurs and the reason was because of their defense, or lack of, more then anything else.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
LMAO... according to KO.com mark jackson should be coach :lol:

Hey I'd be ok with that as long as its not d'antoni.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
It's a damn shame that Patrick Ewing doesn't get much love nowadays. I've looked through different sites and no acknowledgements. SMH

IMO, he should have a shrine in NY, or a statue or something...

dan1608

Benchwarmer
I'd probably pick Ewing because of what hes done for our organization. Plus, as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic, he was a major part of Dwight Howard's development as a player.

I also think Mark Jackson would be a very good coach. He definately has the qualities of one.

why do we do this

I still cannot understand how any one would think mark jackson or ewing would coach this TERRIBLE roster to a better record.

What is the deal people, why cant we accept the fact our team is just not good.

Stop with the ridiculous threads that all avoid the one simple fact

THE KNICKS SUCKS.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
why do we do this

I still cannot understand how any one would think mark jackson or ewing would coach this TERRIBLE roster to a better record.

What is the deal people, why cant we accept the fact our team is just not good.

Stop with the ridiculous threads that all avoid the one simple fact

THE KNICKS SUCKS.

weren't you the guy that was saying the knicks could finish with a 45-37 record??? :lol:

The knicks had potential, and you knew it. If it wasn't for all the shit decisions by d'antoni we would have had a better record by now.

in all truth, it is quite obvious that was a complete joke on my part. Not once did I ever believe the knicks would win 45 games, I just said it for the mere shock value of the biggest "if" ever, and being able to laugh if it actually happened.

knicksin60

Starter
I've watched more old tapes of Patrick Ewing in the past couple of months than Knick games this season.What a shame that the Knicks haven't done jack squat since they traded him to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

I'd probably pick Ewing because of what hes done for our organization. Plus, as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic, he was a major part of Dwight Howard's development as a player.

I also think Mark Jackson would be a very good coach. He definately has the qualities of one.
I don't think they will be able to get him out of Orlando.